Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Araganzar posted:

Except your god is going to do what I'd do in this fight, which is crap an army of rats and then run.

Wow, I can't believe anybody would impugn the honor of The Might of Zionism in this way, how truly rude.
Yeah I'm a very conservative player as a rule, and even now I can't help but not want my god to die from some misfortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The only person who should feel humiliation in this game is Afrosquirrel for abandoning it without going AI or even leaving his password so Pangaea could get a sub or be set AI. Everyone else has been great.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey friends, quick update for the LP schedule for the next couple weeks: I'm going on a vacation out of the country through the first week of July, so there will very likely not be any updates for the next two weeks. Ideally I would hope to get in one update each week, but I don't want to make promises.

So, regardless of whether or not we update while I'm away, I do commit to a robust update schedule when I return. We're going to wrap this LP up before summer's end, so hang on to your butts.

And I want to say Thank You to everyone who has read and enjoyed our trip up until now! Your support and expressed enjoyment has kept this going so far and we are going to see it through to the very end!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
LP is dead, sorry friends. :(

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Previously on Mo Money, Mo Problems!

How are u posted:

We are going to attack Bogarus’ doom-stack, which is (unsuccessfully) sieging our fort in Boggiton. There are several components to the plan. First, we are once more hurling Greater Horrors at the army. The Horrors will attack first, alone, ahead of our own forces. In previous turns the Horrors have been very effective at triggering massive gem-usage. Now that the army is in our territory, enacting a siege, it cannot easily restock its gems each turn. The Horrors will, hopefully, cause some mages to burn enough gems in their first battle that they won’t have enough left over to cast important buffs in the real battle with our forces.

Second, we’re sending what I hope to be is a very tough army of Demons, Golems, Vampire Lords, and The Might of Zionism himself to attack what should be a weakened and unprepared Bogarussian army. The Might of Zionism and 10x Surge Pricing on Uber will meet on the field in a truly titanic showdown!

We're sending

a very

large army.

Here we go!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 103

Turn 103 begins as normal. Our new Elemental King of Magma casts Eternal Pyre, and it sticks! We now control 4 of the 5 Global Spell slots. Bogarus’ Utterdark is still up, but It is working to our advantage so I’m in no rush to try tearing it down.

This is called Running Up the Scoreboard.

You can also see that Kushiel cast Wish. We just Wished for a second Seraph, who we will turn into a Master Enslave caster. Kushiel is too valuable to risk in combat against another player because he is carrying our Wrath of God global.

We also cast a bunch of spells at Bogarus’ army sieging our fort in Boggiton. Five Disease Demon assassins killed various unimportant mages, though one of them had the misfortune of targeting a Vampire Lord:

Vampire Lords still own poo poo, RIP Disease Demon.

We threw six Greater Horrors at the army during the magic phase, but the battle only resulted in a handful of kills, mostly chaff:

Not a fantastic ROI.

There’s really only one battle we’re interested in seeing, isn’t there? Last turn we ordered several armies to converge on Boggiton and attempt to sever the head of Bogarus’ military might in the Northern part of his Empire. This turn they arrived, and here’s what happened.

The remnants of Bogarus’ doom-stack wait on the defender’s half of the field. Even without their massive, ridiculous Communion the scores of mages in this army remain dangerous:

It's still a massive shame-cube of mages.

Here’s what we brought to the table:

Quantity and quality!

Legions of dangerous Se’irim make up the bulk of our troops. In the very front you can see our spearhead, a unit of extremely heavily armed and armored Demon Knights, ready to charge into Bogarus’ human chaff and, ideally, scatter them with their Fear. There’s also a detachment of Slaves of Belphagor up in the front, just to soak damage and fill in squares.

Flanking the Se’irim towards the rear of the troop formations are two other types of demons. There are two squads of Fiends of Darkness, which are one of the less sexy types of summonable demons. However, they have the Dark Power trait, and in Darkness their stats get a very considerable boost. Additionally, there are around 70 Storm Demons divided into three detachments, holding up the rear. They’re our artillery (they are very good at this).

Behind the troops stand the spell-slingers, and we brought a bunch of them:

There are a dozen or so Vampire Lords, whose job as always is to flood the field with skeletons. We brought a full corps of Golems ready to spam spells like Paralyze, Soul Slay, Stellar Cascades, and Solar Rays. The Golems are deployed in a hollow-cube formation, within which stands one of our Arel. She, and the Ivy King further back, will deploy battlefield buffs like Mass Regeneration and Relief. Two of our Arch Devils are also in attendance, here to cast buffs and summon Fire Elementals. Finally, The Might of Zionism himself has taken the field. We’ve brought our god for two reasons. First, it feels thematically appropriate. After all, 10x Surge Pricing for Uber, Bogarus’ god, is slithering around on the other side of the battlefield. Second, I want to try casting a battlefield spell that requires a massively strong Nature mage.

Bogarus, as defender, gets the first round, and his army begins to apply buffs. He never changed the scripting for his mages, so most of them waste the first round casting Communion Master. Sad! One of Bogarus’ Astral mages casts Doom:

For whatever reason when Doom is cast the sky turns purple for a moment.

This curses every single one of our units. Lame. Oh well.

We spend our first round casting buffs of our own. Harrying Bogarus’ army with Horrors for several turns was a great idea, because we get to throw down spells that he can’t any more, like Fog Warriors:

Once again, probably the single most powerful battlefield spell.

Mass Regeneration is one of my very favorite battlefield buffs.

The Might of Zionism spent the first round casting Army of Rats. Army of Rats is a battlefield spell that attempts to Shrink every unit in the enemy army. Additionally, it is supposed to apply some serious Morale damage. Our Great Black Bull does his thing:

Presto...

Change-o!

If you look closely in the very back, you can see Bogarus’ god fails his magic resistance check and gets Shrunk as well.

:D

Our newly buffed troops charge across the field, eager to meet Bogarus’ own chaff head-on. Our Storm Demons hurl Lightning, to great effect:

Adios, division of heavy cavalry :byewhore:

Here and there mages get gibbed as well.

Oh my god just give me All Of The Lightning! :gizz:

In round 2 the evocations start flying. Unfortunately for Bogarus’ mages, many evocations hit Se’irim and our B9 Bless reflects some damage back to the caster.

:rip: Enchantress.

Our army doesn’t really have mages throwing spells across the field, but on our second round we buff our forces further, casting high-level spells like Army of Gold. Take a look at the stat-lines of one of our fully buffed, fully enchanted Se’irim:

And of course Mass Regeneration stacks with our Regeneration Bless.

The tip of our spear, the Demon Knights, reach enemy lines and plunge into a big detachment of Bogarussian vampires and skeletons. The Demon Knights’ Fear is useless here, but they’re ferocious fighters nonetheless.

Charge! :hist101:

Bogarus’ Astrapelagists, having spent round 2 Summoning Storm Power, begin dropping Thunder Strikes into our troop formations. Thunder Strikes are powerful, and we lose some demons, but plenty of Astrapelagists are ripped apart by reflected damage.

The two lines engage fully, and a melee battle of attrition begins. It’s a slog, but we’re doing more damage and pressing forward inch by inch. Our troops, by virtue of superior buffs, also have more staying power:

Harder! Stronger!

The Lightning bombardment from the Storm Demons is relentless:

:vd:

Over many rounds of battle our troops chew and rip and tear their way through Bogarus’ divisions:

Clawing our way across the field.

Soon the Storm Demons are exhausting the last of their Lightning ammunition targeting mages:

:murder:

In the end, only a Paralyzed Pretender God remains. 10x Surge Pricing for Uber is ripped to pieces:

Laters.

Final tally:

What didn’t die fled, and, because of our successful simultaneous attacks in Escuania and Light Hills, we cut off Bogarus’ line of retreat. I’m probably 75% certain that retreating troops cannot retreat into a fort that is under siege, so everything that fled should also be: dead.

That was pretty much the end of organized resistance in the area. There are still a bunch of Starets and Firebirds sitting inside Bogarus’ capitol, and there are clusters of mages in other forts, but that was the one, big army. We’re going to move aggressively to exploit the new situation, and hopefully we’ll take Bogarus itself within a few more turns.

Now begins the Mopping-Up phase of the war.

The other war, more of a project really, continues to go well. We storm some Pangaean forts and put new ones to siege, moving ever closer to joining our Empire into a complete circle around the North half of the world. We’ll storm 3 forts in the North next turn, and then move on to take the Throne in Fever Fens.

I realized, suddenly, that one of our Southern armies was only 3(!) provinces away from Pangaea’s Throne in Jhira. We’re going to march that direction, and I don’t think there’s anything around that can stop us.

Holy poo poo, we're actually super close to that Throne!

So, Bogarus died this turn. There will probably be a few more fights, probably a glorious last-stand battle in the capitol, but this is where it ended. We’re also doing a great job of absorbing Pangaea’s Empire at a breakneck pace. Soon, I think, we’re going to want to attack Caelum. We’re going for Thrones, and the best way to keep Caelum from specifically trying to stop us, or to rush Thrones himself is to invade. Keep him busy at home so we can do what we want abroad, and that should hand us the Victory.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 104

Turn 104 begins like they all do. We cast spells, throw Horrors, and summon various things. We cast several rounds of Horror Seed on a Caelan army. You can see that we have a fair number of Blood mages casting Scapegoats. Since we took our second Wasteland type province, The Cracked Earth, we’ve moved some Vampire Lords and Kohen mage-priests there to set up a second Se’irim summoning factory. This turn we are moving more idle Kohen to what was formerly Pangaea’s province of Khaz Dupar, which is also a Wasteland, from which they’ll start summoning goats as well.

We sent 5 Disease Demons to assassinate commanders in Bogarus’ capitol. The capitol is full of 100+ turns worth of Bogarus’ capitol-only mage; the Starets:

They’ve got some pretty killer diversity and lots of great cross-path potential. They don’t, however, stand a chance against Disease Demons 1 on 1:

Poof!

We cast Gift of Reason upon our new Seraph, and we’ve named him Marut after an angel of Sorcery from the Islamic tradition. Here he is wearing most of his new gear:

He’s going to be a welcome addition to our forces for any extra-important battles.

Disease Demons weren’t the only bad-dudes getting their assassination on this turn. Our Black Hearted Vampire Lord Tubal-Cain picked off a Bogarussian priest, way down in the South end of the world:

I can't think of a scarier assassin than a Vampire Lord.

Now, on to the turn’s battles. Over the past 4 or 5 turns I’ve been moving our reservoir of redundant Isachaarite Sages out from their cozy research forts deep inside of our Empire and towards various battle fronts. They’re nothing but an upkeep-drain now, so I figured we could use them to ping forts or die in other useful ways. Last turn we sent 6 of them to attack Bogarus’ capitol. We’d previously destroyed the Province Defense with Horrors, so the 6 Sages encountered no resistance and have now put the fort to siege:

Need to use them for something!

This is not just for goofs, we gain something useful out of it. Bogarus can’t move any of his dozens and dozens of Starets mages or Golems or whatever else he has bottled up inside of his capitol until he’s broken the siege. Those Sages give us one turn of wiggle-room in case Bogarus decides to try something.

We storm 3 or 4 Pangaean forts this turn. Honestly, I’m not paying much attention because there’s no threat. Even the AI would put up more of a fight than a staling player. Our conquest continues, and is total:

:yawn:

We see Caelum attack one of Bogarus’ forts that’s under siege by a Lesser Horror. This is only interesting because Caelum sent one of his unique national summons to do it:

Quite a few Fire Elementals.

We stormed two more Bogarussian forts, both of them virtually empty other than a couple of leftover troops, like this:

Mopping up empty forts.

We did storm two Pangaean forts that offered more resistance. One contained a research stack of Centaur Sages:

Centaur Sages are cheap mages that only ever get 1 level in two paths, but they’re cost-effective researchers and all get a guaranteed S1 so they can be used as Communion Slaves later on. The sheer number of low level spells thrown around put a dent in our Vampire horde, but eventually they succumbed.

We also stormed a fort stuffed full of Pans. A dozen or so Storm of Thornes at point blank range will also kill Vampires, FYI:

Finally, we catch a report of Caelum storming a Bogarussian fort. It appears to be the massive, undead Caelan army I noted a couple of turns ago:

Dang, it took some serious casualties! Let’s see what happened. We see the Bogarussian defenders are just 55 heavy cavalry and a Bane Lord with a Fire Brand:

Caelum has a massive army made up mainly of skeletons and Corpse Constructs, which are basically Frankensteins:

Lot's of undead!

They're really useful for fighting AIr heavy nations, with their great Lightning Resistance.

He also brought two more of his national summons and a half-dozen Mound Fiends:

Bogarus’ champion, “Of Course I Have Construction 8” the Golem, makes an appearance as well. He casts Master Enslave on round 1:

The heavy cavalry charge the gate, intending to clog it up, and a slow war of attrition between lovely skeletons and cavalry begins. However, some of the cavalry seem to have become Horror Seeded at some point in the past. They die, slowly, which leads to this:

Uh-oh!

A Greater Horror appears, flies to the rear of Caelum’s army and kills a Mound Fiend. Then it flies back across to the heavy cavalry and kills two others that had been Seeded:

The now 3 Greater Horrors begin making work of the heavy cavalry, breaking them with their Fear.

Run away!

At some point a tiny number of Caelum’s living troops decided to fly over the castle walls, ignore the massed cavalry, and go straight for the Golem standing unconscious in the very back!

!!

Brilliantly, their magical Ice Spears chip the fatigued Golem down, and they kill it! Bogarus must have forgotten or been unable to cast Ritual of Returning on the Golem the previous turn. RIP Master Enslave Golem.

Eventually the Bogarussian forces are routed, but the battle doesn’t end until the Horrors are dead. One of the Greater Horrors manages to get stuck up against the fortress wall, fatigued unconscious by Rigor Mortis.

:lol:

The Corpse Constructs can’t hurt the Horror, so a dozen or two battle rounds pass. This wouldn’t be a problem except that -the fortress towers don’t stop firing arrows until the battle ends-! Hundreds of arrows fly from the towers and cut down massive amounts of Caelan chaff. The Caelan army is reduced by about 50% by the time the last Horror dies.

So, what are we doing next turn? We are moving to attack two Pangaean Throne provinces in Fever Fens and Nethermark:

We have Bogarus’ capitol under Sage-Siege, so we’re moving real armies to attack adjacent provinces like Ivenmoor. We’re also sending forces to attack the Throne province of Durland.

Finally, we’ll continue to plunge into Pangaea’s home-territory, gunning for more Thrones. Caelum hasn’t said anything about it yet, so maybe he’s just not paying attention. On the other hand, maybe he’s ready for it all to end.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

resistentialism posted:

Did the mass charm just not work well that time?

If there were lots of recently converted birdmen nearby it sounds like pretty bad luck that they'd fly way the hell over to the golem.

The Master Enslave worked, but it just dominated a ton of lovely frankensteins and longdeads. Say that Master Enslave took 1/10 of Caelums chaff. The dominated units immediately attack their former comrades, but they're hugely outnumbered and won't last more than a couple battle rounds until they're all cleared away. Master Enslave is phenomenally useful if you can properly leverage it (with your own strong army). It rarely wins a battle outright on its own.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 105

Not much happens in turn 105, this will be a brief update. We cast all of the regular beginning-of-turn spells and summons. Our Disease Demons assassinate more Bogarussian mages, we summon and kit another Golem, Vampires abound.

There were a bunch of battles this turn, but most of them are just us stomping Pangaea. We spot the remnants of Caelums once-great army of undead moving West, deeper into Bogarus’ territory. I wonder if Caelum knows about the two Discount-Sites located in the province of Nom, just a short distance from his army. If Caelum does know about them and hopes to race to and capture them, well he’s in for a surprise because if he doesn’t start a full-on war with us -yesterday- then he’s going to lose.

Caelum's reduced doom-stack is pretty close to both Nom and one of Bogarus' Thrones (currently under siege by Horrors thanks to Horror Seed!).

A Lesser Horror attacks Caelum’s Daeva of Destruction sieging one of Bogarus’ forts. I believe the Lesser Horror manifested as a result of a Horror Seeded unit within the fort dying. We’ve seen how those Lesser Horrors pop and put a fort in a province to siege on their own, so it makes sense that they’d engage in a battle with a force already putting a fort to siege. Horror Seed mechanics really are quite interesting!

We storm a handful of Pangaean forts and take them. We ping the fort we’re sieging in Scraw Point. We’ll storm it next turn, and then we’ll be just 2 provinces away from Pangaea’s most inaccessible Throne. Victory is drawing ever-closer.

The only defenders of Pangaea's fort in Scraw Point.

Here's a fun summon present that you may not have seen before. Dominions has so many cool and interesting units available through high level magic!

We mobilize one of our few remaining mortal armies of Sacreds to storm and take the Jeweled City of Patala itself! One of the great wonders of this world is our latest prize.

You'll have to use your imagination... The game engine isn't really up to the task of matching all of the cool national lore and fluff.

Any army of Demons and Gibborim, led by two of the Lords of Hell themselves, takes another Pangaean fortress. The large Research stack of Centaur Sages is no match for massed Devils.

Far away from Bogarus, on the other side of the world, we've spent a couple dozen turns summoning an awful lot of demons.

For next turn: Near Bogarus we’re moving reinforcing, sieging troops onto the provinces of Ivenmoore and Durland. We’ll soon break their gates and add them to our holdings.

Tightening the noose around Bogarus' capitol.

We’re storming the fort in the Throne province of Fever Fens. We are also sieging the fortress in the Throne province of Nethermark. Soon both will be ours.

Both of these Thrones will be ours!

With luck we’ll have the Throne in the province of Jhira under our control in 4 to 5 turns.

Suddenly it seems so very close.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
"The LP isn't dead! The LP isn't dead!" How are u shouted as he slowly turned into a corncob.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 106

Turn 106 begins with the normal spells cast in the Magic Phase. We assassinate several more Starets and Adepts of the Iron order in Bogarus’ capitol, though one Disease Demon fails in his task. Let’s take a closer look:

Defeated by a lowly Necromancer?

Ha! Amusingly named Necromancer!

Wow he totally rocked the Disease Demon.

Huh, interesting. There’s a Necromancer named “The Entire Nation of Gath”, and he’s pretty good in fight. Oh well, I’m sure this will never come up again.

We fight battles across the world, mainly in Pangaean territory. We storm forts, put others to siege, and invade unforted land, tearing down Pannish temples as we go. Some of our armies look downright Apocalyptic:

I enjoy looking lovingly at stupidly strong end-game armies.

We storm Pangaea’s fort in Scraw Point that we pinged last turn, losing a single Se’ir in the process. We storm and take the fort in the Throne province of Fever Fens without a fight. We’re beginning to take the Thrones we’ll need to win, but we’re not claiming them yet. Caelum seems either oblivious to what we’re doing, or he just doesn’t care anymore (it’s been a -long- game), but a rapid series of Throne claims could clue him in so we’ll avoid tipping our hand.

Oh there was a battle in Bogarus? Looks like Ramc has tried to break our siege of Isacharrite Sages. What powerful force has he sent?

He's even doing a "Come at me" hand gesture.

The dozen or so useless, ancient Isaccharite Sages who had been the only units maintaining the siege of Bogarus surge forward to meet the evil Necromancer!

...Except for that they're armed only with their fists and are wearing robes and are old loving men. The summoned skeletons rip them to pieces.

Embarrassingly so.

:cripes:

The Entire Nation of Gath”, the Necromancer lives up to his name and utterly dominates our army of feeble old men. Well played.

I haven’t been reporting much on the armies of magical woodland beings that appear and attack our enemies as a result of the Haunted Forests global. Most of the time those battles are either A) vine men appear and get beaten by enemy PD or B) vine men appear, there’s no PD, they put the fortress to siege for a moment before disappearing at the end of the game phase. However, this turn some intrepid vine men and their Hama Dryad allies decided to attack a pair of Horrors sieging one of Bogarus’ forts (the result of Horror Seeding). They didn’t fare well:

I like the neat shades of rainbow colors that Horrors turn when they do their attack.

So, what’s the plan for next turn? In the North we continue to gobble Pangaean land. We’re storming the fortress in the Throne province of Nethermark, and we’ll be adding that Throne to our collection. Part of the army that took the Throne in Fever Fens will stay behind as guardians, while the Vampire contingent will move on and mop-up remaining Pannish provinces in the area.

Deep in South-Eastern Pangaea, we took the fort at Scraw Point, and we’re advancing into the Red Mines. We’re -so- close to another Throne, I can taste it!

Further West, our massive army of Demons and Vampires advanced to Zocs, which is adjacent to Pangaea’s capitol. For the first time in ages we can see what’s going on in there:

:eyepop:

Yuck! Hundreds of Vampires, Pan’s Demilich Pretender God, and who knows what else. I think we’ll leave Pangaea proper alone for a while. The army in Zocs is going to explode outward, split into pieces that will capture several territories in the region. We’ll be attacking Pangaea’s Throne province of Witherland, which lies on the Pangaea-Caelum border. If this aggression doesn’t clue Caelum in to what’s happening, well, nothing will.

Up in Bogarus territory we’ll be storming the forts in Ivenmoore and Durland. We’ll secure the Throne in Durland, again moving closer to total victory. We’ll send another dozen or so feeble, useless Sages to put Bogarus’ capitol to siege. If that powerful Necromancer wants to kill more old men he’s welcome to it.

Finally, in keeping an eye on Caelum’s actions in Southern Bogarussian territory, we see that he’s putting another fort to siege. That Bogarussian fort was chock-full of mind-controlled Caelan bird-men, so the battle should be fun to watch. We can also see that Bogarus’ Throne province of S’catli Swamps is being sieged by 15+ Lesser Horrors. We hit that province with a sustained battery of Horror Seeds, so I’m happy to see they paid off. Caelum is going to have to fight through a bunch of nasty poo poo if he wants even to siege that fort.

Next turn we’ll take a look at the Thrones we’ve captured, those we’re soon to capture, and see how many more we need to become God.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

What was in that message from Bogarus?

I must have forgotten to document it, so I genuinely cannot remember!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

:captainpop:

It's pretty accurate, though. Especially with Utterdark cloaking the world in night.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ashnjack posted:

Is it possible to get a map of what the world currently looks like now?

Ok I didn't take the time to make actual maps of the game world while doing work on the LP, but here's some best-approximations based on screen shots.

Here's the original map with some start points (minus Ragha and Mictlan)

Here's the map I made around turn 30 when we were fighting our war against Xibalba.

The world on the eve of the initiation of the great crusade against Man (turn 45)

And here's pretty much what the world looks like now.

How are u fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 30, 2017

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 107

Turn 107 begins as normal, though it seems that Bogarus has sent a message:

Looks like it is in reaction to “The Entire Nation of Gath” the Necromancer’s antics from the previous turn.

Our Disease Demons continue their terrifying assassination campaign in Bogarus. This turn, one of them finds and kills a Lich:

Liches are high-level Enchantment summons. They’re powerful Death mages, and Immortal, but they lack the flexibility of Vampires Lords because they cannot fly nor do they have Blood magic.

One of our Bowl of Blood casters found a site in Boggiton:

Ha! Well this would have been a great site to find in the first year or two of the game! Like the site in Scytha that lets us summon 1 Fiend of Darkness each turn, this site lets us summon 1 Devil. The game will probably be over in a few turns, so it’s entirely useless to us.

You may notice that we Wished this turn. We Wished for this interesting little item right here:

The Gate Stone is unique in that it is the only item in the game that is actually cheaper to Wish for than to forge. It’s hideous price-tag reflects it’s amazing utility, for the Gate Stone allows the commander who possesses it to cast the spell Astral Travel at will:

There’s no better way to move massive numbers of troops quickly.

Just look at all the battles we fougth this turn:

The first battle of note took place in Durland, where our massive army of demons was preparing to storm the fortress. Bogarus decided to attack…

With The Entire Nation of Gath :doh:

The Dominions AI is bad, and (this was news to me), apparantely when deciding whether or not an enemy force on the battlefield is strong enough to trigger gem-use, very heavily weighs whether or not enemy mages are carrying items. The Entire Nation of Gath the Necromancer was carrying 2(!!) Lightless Lanterns, nothing else, and yet that seemed enough to cause all of our high level mages to start dumping gems into battlefield buffs:

Guys...stop :(

The Necromancer was then immediately killed by some Air Elementals. Good grief!

RIP The Entire Nation of Gath the Necromancer.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, our army advancing into Pangaea’s cave province of Red Mines encountered some resistance, including a few interesting mages:

Most of then killed themselves by hurling evocations at the Se’irim, though.

Watching mages evoke themselves to death never gets old.

We attacked Pangaea’s Throne Province of Witherland with a bunch of Vampires and a Kohen Gadol. The PD was steamrolled:

Yawn!

But it looks like Caelum attacked the province this turn as well!

Uh oh! Our erstwhile ally has arrived!

Caelum’s army of low-level Lab mages put up a good effort, but ultimately couldn’t stand against our Vampires, who are much stronger necromancers. Our Kohen Gadol even threw a couple well aimed Pillars of Fire in at the end:

Pow!

Smacked down. Sorry, Caelum.

Caelum’s forces were very resoundingly turned away, and our siege of Witherlands begins:

My Throne! Mine!

We cracked a few more forts and fought a few more battles, but by this point you, dear readers, all know the drill:

Attack! Fight!

Vamp!

So, what’s going on next turn? On the Bogarus front we will be attacking pretty much every adjacent Bogarussian province in the North. We’ll crack them all, isolate Bogarus’ capitol, and then siege it down at our leisure.

In the Pangaean South we’re moving forces to reinforce the siege at Witherlands. The army that just took Red Mines finally gets to advance onto the Throne Province of Jhira itself. Jhira contains the Throne of the Sun, one of Ragha’s early Thrones.

Finally, regarding Thrones, we should take a tally of what we’ve got and what we’ll be able to get in the next few turns. Here’s the global Throne list:

As you can see the game victory condition is for one player to own 25 Ascension Points (Oh, is that what they’re called?). We currently own the Thrones of: The Pantokrator, Eternal Suffering, Sorcery, Death, and Misfortune. That gives us a total of 13 Ascension Points right now.

We are currently in possession of, but have yet to claim, additional Thrones. Those Thrones are: Elements, Air, Gaia, and the Iron Throne. They are worth a combined 9 points, so if we claim them all we will have a total of 22 points!

Here’s the thing: The Throne of Earth is sitting in Witherlands, which we’re sieging down now. The Throne of the Sun, as I mentioned a moment ago, is in Jhira. If we claim all of the Thrones we now possess plus the Throne of the Sun…we win. Our current Thrones are heavily defended, and Caelum doesn’t have any force projection powers to speak of anyway. The Throne of the Sun in Jhira is so far away from any of Caelum’s forces that he’d never be able to stop us in time.

We’re going to win. We’re going to become God.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Indirect battlefield evocations such as "Fire Cloud" or "Cloud of Death" also don't trigger the blood vengeance, IIRC.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 108

I’m growing weary of this war-torn world, aren’t you, friends? Well I have good news, because soon we’ll have the power to put an end to all wars, and to reshape our world as we see fit, ushering in an age of glorious peace.

Turn 108 begins like every other. The only thing to note during the Magic Phase is that one of our Disease Demon assassins encountered something interesting once again:

Tough dude.

Marius the Ether Lord here is a powerful fellow. Ramc had indicated in IRC that he’s racing to raise a mage to Astral 9 so that he can try to Armageddon the world again before he dies. Could he perhaps be using an Ether Lord to do this? Marius is also carrying an interesting artifact:

Look at our blood hunting. If your enemy is every hunting like this know that you’ve lost the game already:

There are a bunch of battles in the Battle Phase, but few of them are noteworthy. We attacked more Pangaean territory, tearing down Temples and slaughtering PD. We took a rebellious province back from the independent Villains that seized it half a dozen turns ago:

Villainous rebels? In my kingdom of undeath??

We stormed and took two Pangaean fortresses, taking some minor casualties in our army of Sacreds:

The magical, temporary armies conjured by Enchanted Forests attacked Pangaean and Caelan provinces, and, as usual. A small group of unfortunate Trolls decided to attack a Greater Horror sieging one of Bogarus’ forts:

RIP Shrek.

Here’s something of note: one of our few remaining scouts was discovered and killed while moving through Pangaea’s territory of Osandias:

Wow! That is a -massive- patrolling force. That army must have been patrolling Osandias ever since Afrosquirrel started chain-staling, haha. You can see there’s a small contingent of Released Ones in the army. We killed several Released mages a turn ago in Pangaea’s province of Red Mines. Released Ones have Dark Power (2), so in the Darkness of Utterdark their combat stats balloon significantly!

Leading the patrolling army is Dwight D. Eisenhower himself, Prophet of The Military Industrail Complex, the Pretender God of Pangaea. If I remember correctly, Eisenhower was Pangaea’s original Prophet. He’s survived the entire game. We’re going to put together a force to attack Osandias and burn this army to ash.

Let’s look at the lay of the land. In Bogarussian territory you can see that we’ve successfully put to siege all of the fortresses in the provinces adjacent to Bogarus’ capitol. We’ll be storming the fort in Fom, and others will follow in subsequent turns. If you look carefully you can see that I moved Marut, our second Seraph, to Durland the previous turn. My thought was that he could sit there and claim the Throne when necessary. I -forgot- that Durland has a Leper Fens site that spreads Disease, and so of course our incredibly expensive Seraph immediately became Diseased. We’re moving Marut off to a province with some Healers for now, jeez.

In Northern Pangaea we continue to take territory. We’ll storm more forts, and next turn we’ll have forces ready to send against Pan’s Prophet.

In Southern Pangaea you can see we’re sieging Thrones in both the far Eastern and Western ends of the empire. We’ll storm the fort in Witherland next turn, and we are moving Vampires to Jhira to assist in tearing down the fortress walls therein.

In the selected province of Stone Grave Mountains you can see that the scouting report indicates that an Eater of the Dead is present. The Eater of the Dead is a unique summon, an interesting classic that’s been around since at least Dominions 2. We’re going to send a Horror to the province next turn to get a look at it!

Finally, tracking Caelum’s movements in Southern Bogarus, we can see that he’s not doing much.

Utterdark has really hurt Caelum’s ability to project power by virtue of reducing the bulk of his armies to nothing via desertion. I am guessing that his strategy was to transition to a raised-skeleton and corpse construct based military eventually (thus all of the Mound Fiends he summoned, they can raise skeletons for free), but that’s a much harder and slower route to take towards upkeep-free spammable armies than using Blood Magic. Just look at the army size graph:

Anyway, Caelum looks to still be sieging Bogarus’ provinces of Saetica and Runia. We’ve been pouring Horror Seeds into the large army on Saetica, so if or when it actually storms the fort it should hopefully be a good show.

We’re getting closer to possessing all the Thrones we need to win. Just a few more turns, now. I am unsure whether we’ll simply take them and win immediately, or whether we should hold off for a few turns to do interesting things like peek inside Pangaea’s capitol, or finally storm and take Bogarus itself.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Speaking of wannabe godlings...

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 109

Turn 109 begins with global messages! Let’s see what we have:

Bogarus has initiated a countdown, interesting. As I believe I mentioned last turn, Ramc said he was planning to try to end the world through Wishing for Armageddon once again, so this countdown is probably that. We’d better prepare for pain, because we cannot win quick enough to prevent him from doing it.

Oh look, a message from Gath. That’s us! :v

Nerd!

I decided to send a thematic global message indicating our impending victory. You can see that we also claimed one of our Thrones this turn (Throne of Elements). I was chatting with the guys on IRC between the turns and it’s pretty clear that there’s no subtlety to what’s going on right now. Everybody knows that our victory is assured, so why play coy? Let’s start claiming Thrones.

Let's throw down!

Nothing particularly interesting happened during the Magic Phase for the turn. Our Disease Demon assassins didn’t kill anything but more Starets and Adepts of the Iron Order in Bogarus. We are going to redirect our assassins towards Bogarus’ province of Nom (the province with the two Discount Sites) because on IRC Ramc indicated that his new Wish caster was located outside of the capitol. I don’t expect to actually stop him, but on the off chance that we got lucky and gibbed the Wish caster it’d be very satisfying.

Let's see what we find in what was the single most valuable province on the entire map.

We threw a Greater Horror at Pangaea’s province of Stone Grave Mountains. Several turns ago we saw that our scouting report indicated that the Eater of the Dead was present there. Well, here he is:

The Eater of the Dead is a fun, flavorful unit. It’s a unique summon, and you have to give it the Gift of Reason to make it a Commander, but if you allow it to consume enough corpses and grow in power (and size!), it can become a real pain in the rear end. The best part is that the Eater of the Dead will, as it’s flavor text indicates, go rogue at some point once it crosses a certain power threshold, and it can very easily kill your own armies once it does so. This Eater is sitting in an otherwise empty province in a staling Empire, so it’s just an interesting sight to see.

We storm Pangaean forts and attack Pangaean provinces. Our tide of Death and Demons rolls ever-onward. We stormed Pangaea’s fort in the Throne province of Witherlands this turn:

Witherlands holds the Throne of the Earth, which allows the recruitment of Gnomes:

They're excellent for breaking into Earth and Nature magic if you don't have it natively!

Pangaea’s Vampires fly out to meet our own head-on:

Vampires meet in the middle, but we have more of them.

Pangaea’s single Lich proves to be devastatingly effective, casting Wither Bones on our Vampires over and over again:

Ouch!

Wither Bones is the premier battlefield spell to use if you want to kill a lot undead Right Now.

Eventually we overwhelm the defenders:

But there’s one surprise remaining! We’d cast Horror Seed on this province ages ago, and apparently one of the commanders still carried the Seed! The Greater Horror apperates and immediately annihilates Pangaea’s Lich:

Then it flies to the very end of our side of the battlefield, looking hungrily at our Vampire Lords. However, repeated casts of Drain Life eliminate the threat, and the fortress is ours!

Vampire Lords rule once again!

So what’s our plan for next turn? We’re storming several forts, including Bogarus’ fort in Scare Hope Wastes. We’ll be sending a cohort of Worms That Walk into that breach.

We’re moving 11 brand new Golems to Bogarus’ capitol. The Sages that are holding the siege are great and all, but it is now time to put something a little bit more robust in place. The Golems should be able to hold against even a full-scale siege-break.

Fresh off the assembly line.

An army of Demons and Se’irim moves from Fom to Great Woods, and will take another Bogarussian province. You can also see that we have Vampires attacking Ockerjab, and there’s a Scout in Faircliff that is going to take that province by himself (no existant PD).

Lords of Hell, bring me victory!

We cracked the gates of the fort in Jhira, so we’re sending a wounded Barbarian through this turn to ping what’s inside:

Brave Hanno the Barbarian goes it alone.

Next turn: Let’s see what Bogarus’ final blow may be.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 110

Turn 110 does not begin, because turn 110 does not exist. At least, it does not exist for the purpose of this LP. I hosed up, and I failed to take screen shots and make notes before the game turned once again. I hosed up bad enough that I didn’t even play the turn other than checking it once to see what happenend. The usual order of operations for this LP is that 1) I’ll check the new turn to see what generally happened, then 2) play the turn on my own, wait a day and 3) take screens and write the notes for the turn. SO, huge gently caress-up, and I am very sorry for it!

There were just a couple of interesting things that happened on turn 110 that you should know about. First, we summoned a Chayot! We stopped building Golems and built up enough of a Pearl stockpile that I figured “why not?” and we had Marut, our second Seraph, cast Call Merkavah, the 222 Pearl National Spell. Here’s our first and only Chayot:

It took 110 turns but we finally got one.

He came with 4 Ophan, too. We’re going to turn them into Commanders because we have more gems than brains and once again “why not?”

I love the head-trip descriptions of the Biblical angels.

The second thing that happened on turn 110, and the thing I’m so, so upset that I didn’t get to document, was that we Canceled. The. Apocalypse. Remember how Ramc, playing Bogarus, indicated a turn or two ago that he was building a new S9 unit with which to Wish for Armageddon? To do the one thing that would actually hurt us now? Well, sometime during turn 109 Ramc and I were chatting on IRC and he let out that his new Wish caster wasn’t hiding in his Capitol. We’ve been sending Disease Demons against Bogarus’ cap for a while now. I figured I had to try something, so I redirected all of our assassins to the only other Bogarussian province I figured would hold high-level poo poo: Nom! When I pulled up the turn report for 110 I was treated to the lovely sight of a Disease Demon (costs 5 slaves to cast) successfully assassinating an S9 Golem in single combat. It was glorious, it made me smile, and I’m so sorry to have no documentation.

The rest of the turn was inconsequential, we did all of the same poo poo we’ve been doing for the past couple dozen turns (i.e. Continue Winning).

So, let’s move on to Turn 111!

Turn 111

Turn 111 begins with a message from Bogarus:

I'm so upset that I missed this poo poo.

The countdown ends, the world goes silent, and then comes the growing realization that there will be no final act of defiance, no desperate measure made by the resistance against the unstoppable tide of the Demonic and the Undead. Hope was a lie, Gath has won, it is only a matter of mopping up resistance.

We weren’t involved in any battles this turn because I never issued orders to our armies the previous turn! Caelum did fight a couple battles that we scouted. First, Caelum attacked the pile of Lesser Horrors sieging Bogarus’ fort in the province of S’catli Swamps:

A real big pile of Horrors.

Good Lord that’s a lot of Horrors! I don’t know if Caelum would have won if not for the fact that Horrors of different types are so completely enthused to murder each other:

The Horrors that make it to Caelum’s lines do damage, but are eventually picked-off by mages.

Caelum also moves an army to siege Bogarus’ fort in the province of Ulm, brushing aside a handful of Lesser Horrors that were hanging out there:

Nothing interesting happened in any of the battles instigated by Enchanted Forests. We did get attacked by forces spawned by a random event, however!

Oh no!

The brave Gathite province defense proves more than a match for evil vine men.

Another random event caused the Lab in our province of Man to burn down! Joyful surprise!!

Gonna have to hang some fools for letting this dumb poo poo happen.

Something else we did on turn 110 was to claim a bunch of Thrones. We now have 20 Throne Points, and once we claim the Iron Throne and The Throne of the Sun we will be victorious!

So, what are we doing for next turn? Around Bogarus we are finishing taking the provinces adjacent to the capitol, and we’re preparing forces to move onto the capitol to break the fort’s gate. I do kind of want to successfully storm and take Bogarus itself before claiming Victory.

It feels fitting to vanquish our final foe before claiming victory.

We’re going to storm the fort in Jhira next turn, giving us control of the Throne of the Sun. We pinged the fort on turn 110 and found it to be full of lovely junk, so there shouldn’t be much of a battle.

An invincible army.

Caelum looks like he’s preparing to siege Bogarus’ Throne province of S’catli Swamps. Whatever, we don’t have to care about it anymore.

Take it if you like!

We’re moving Buer the Goat Sun and his honor-guard of Golems to attack Pangaea’s province Osandias. That’s the province where the large Pangaean army led by Pan’s Prophet is patrolling. We’ll see if we can’t bring that chapter of Pangaea’s history to a close!

One of the last and largest concentrations of beast men will fall!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Friends thank you for your supreme patience and nice comments while I've been (failing to) update this LP for the past couple weeks! I'm going on a trip until the end of the month, but when I return I am going to sit down and hammer out the last few updates in one sitting and complete the story we started together almost exactly one year ago (holy poo poo)! As very astute and knowledgeable readers probably have guessed we're going to win very soon, so it won't take long to finish things up.

Thank you for your support and encouragement, and I'll see you all at the end of the month!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 112

Turn 112 doesn’t begin with messages or fanfare. We cast the normal spells, with a few interesting exceptions and things to note.

First, we cast Wish once again with Kushiel the Seraph! Kushiel Wished for “Magic Power”, which gives the caster +1 to every path of magic:

How diverse!

The Might of Zionism has, for lack of something better to do, been chain-casting Improved Crossbreeding. He’s managed to summon a couple of interesting fellows:

There were a couple of interesting battles this turn. First, we attacked that Pangaean army patrolling the province of Osandias:

Buer the Goat Sun arrives with his honor guard of Golem.

Unorganized beast men don't stand a chance.

Battle-summoned imps clog the center of the field while...

Buer casts Flame Storm and incinerates the enemy army.

Pangaea's Prophet gets away!

The Prophet fled the field like a coward, maybe we’ll end up getting him another time.

We stormed the fortress in Jhira:

The lonely defender of the Throne province of Jhira.

He's in a bit of trouble.

The living blenders start to unclog the gate.

Furcas the Arch Devil lends a hand with powerful evocations.

And Caelum stormed a Bogarussian fort in Runia, winning but somehow managing to lose another hundred or so Corpse Constructs. Those things seem pretty fragile.

We stormed one of Bogarus’ forts near his capitol, it was full of Astrapelagists:

A host of Demon Knights leads the charge.

But even Demon Knights get ripped up by close range evocation.

:drac:

Vampires saved the day.

What is the plan for next turn? We’re moving a massive number of troops onto Bogarus, aiming to crack the capitol fort.

And we’re claiming the Throne of the Sun, leaving us 2 Throne Points away from victory. I’d like to take Bogarus before then, so we’ll hold off a moment.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 113

:ughh:

God drat it. I hosed up the math!

Retrospective to follow in the next couple days.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well, that was quite an adventure and quite a game! I’m a little bit amazed that we made it through both the entire game and then the entire LP, wow! The actual game itself started in the beginning of June, 2016, so this goofy little LP has been part of my life for over a year. Crazy! In this final post I’m going to take brief look back at our progress over the course of the game, and also give some thoughts and feelings on Dominions in general. So, let’s take a look at how far we’ve come!

Turn 113

We did it friends. We hurled our enemies down and ground their bones into dust. Wailing, gnashing of teeth, and declarations of fealty are ignored as The Might of Zionism and the Nation of Gath ascend to supremacy. Who needs friends when you have ultimate power?

It was quite a journey getting here, and victory required both a lot of micro-management and a lot of luck. Mostly luck. I think most Dominions 4 players will tell you that random luck enables more victories than anything else. Let's take a look at the micromanagement, though! Here's the final turn's message report screen:

This is familiar :)

Wow the whole thing is bigger!

:saddowns:

You can see why I only ever posted the top bit!

Not only are there a million things going on in every corner of the world, there are at this point hundreds and hundreds of unique mages and commanders that need to be organized:

A small snapshot of commanders in our empire!

Love those golem.

:staredog:

God, that's like thousands of gems worth of items!

But look where that dedication got us!

I mean, just look at the ridiculous armies we're marshaling here.

Demons, Vampires, every badass thing you could ask for!

Stupidly strong empowered units!

I was prepping this guy to nuke whole armies of bird-men.

And this friend to Rain Stones upon our enemies until the cows came home.

Or just Master Enslave them!

Unlimited resources and magical power!

Yes, we're a far cry from where we were when we started this game.

The world was so large, scary, and unknown!

We can chart our rise in the final set of score graphs. Let's take a look:

Provinces. You can see where eating Staling Pangaea hurtled us into the lead.

Forts. I mean, forts doesn't mean too much at turn 100+, but we'll include it.

Income. Look at how Utterdark ruined the world.

Gem Income. More territory = more gem income.

Research. Man had a really solid research lead early on. However, he failed to utilize it effectively against us.

Dominion strength. LOOK at that Xibalba bump! Even at the end it still stands out as extremely impressive. He really could have won the game there.

Army Size. Remember now the difference between recruiting your armies with gold like Caelum and Bogarus were, and summoning them with blood sacrifices as we were.

So now that it's over, how does it feel? Strangely empty, to be honest. Our victory built with such gradual yet intractable momentum that it became pretty clear we would win quite a while ago. The exact moment I couldn't say, but if I had to guess it would be when Pangaea started to stale turns and it became clear that the player wasn't coming back. We were leveraged to take advantage of that like nobody else, and, oddly, nobody else even attempted to.

Victory in Dom4 doesn't always feel or play out this way, not at all! My first victory was in one of the first couple of games I ever played, and it was a break-neck rush for Thrones against an equally powerful opponent that had me on the edge of my seat until the final turn. It was immensely satisfying. This victory is also satisfying, but in a different way. I think that the "Mo Money" game settings, in kicking things up a notch in terms of game potential, also asked a lot more of each individual player. When the potential ceiling is raised so high in order to win you have to rise to meet it, and that means some serious dedication to micro-managing, scripting, and taking note of every available opportunity. Point-and-click your way to victory this is not. This is also where I think I had an advantage in that the fact I was doing an LP of the game gave me a huge shot of motivation to keep plugging away, even when the tedium (and yeah it can get tedious sometimes) grew.

What it never became, however, was un-fun. Dominions 4 is a game that, in my experience, is always fun. At any scale! I tend to enjoy the huge, epic, unlimited potential of a Mo Money type game, but it's also a ton of fun scrapping around in the early game with armies of just dozens of units. The stakes are always high, and every battle could contain the decisive moment that leads to true victory. If things don't end up going your way then it is important to simply adjust your expectations and to have fun with the options you have left. Even if some other nation invades you and beats you thoroughly, you can put in just enough effort to help ensure that they waste enough time trying to fully eliminate you that they're denied the ultimate prize. Spite is one of the great currencies of this game.

So! What about this game? What are our thoughts as we stand here, looking back at the length of our endeavor? Well, we started off solid. I don't regret my initial decision to take a Double Major bless for our sacreds. I knew that Mo Money settings would entail stronger independents that would require stronger armies to defeat, and specific to the nation of Gath I knew that if we could just survive long enough to start summoning Se'irim we could field unstoppable armies.

No regrets (other than the name).

Our initial diplomancy went well. We secured initial peace with all of our neighbors, but made sure that the timeframe of our peace with the most dangerous (Xibalba), expired a lot sooner than the others. We also found a powerful ally in Pangaea, with whom we marched off to war and rolled over the bats without any real fuss.

Never go to war on your own if you can help it.

Yuck, bats.

We didn't gain a lot of territory in our war with Xibalba. We let Pangaea make the first moves and take the most risks, swooping in ourselves to pick up scraps. We did, however, get Xibalba's cap, one Throne, and a wasteland province with which to summon Se'irim later on. Perhaps more importantly we also proved to Pangaea that we were a communicative, dependable ally. Being in touch and easy to talk to is one of the most important things in playing this game with other people.

We utilized that relationship a dozen turns later when we entered our second real war against Man. Pangaea joined us in squeezing Man from both sides, resulting in victory another dozen or so turns later.

Doomed.

It was around this time that we achieved something that went a long way towards bringing us ultimate victory: we broke into Vampires.

Remember this guy? He may have won us the game.

Sidebar: It was my experience in this game that taught me that Vampires as they exist in vanilla Dominions 4 are bullshit. They're way too strong and way too cheap to be Immortal. Once you get the train running it's almost impossible to stop. And, if you're a nation that can blood sacrifice, like Gath, then you've just unlocked monstrous power. I now only play in games where there's some kind of mod that nerfs Vampires.

We sat back and built up our exponentially growing power-base for another dozen turns before we entered into war with Bogarus. Pangaea, our esteemed ally, started to stale shortly after, and the rest is history.

Retrospective Q&A

Was it worth it?
Yes. Finishing a game of Dominions is a lot of work, but it's worth it.

Those Mo'Money settings, tho?
You have to adjust your expectations, but I think they're super fun. Epic as hell, massive armies crashing into each other, all that poo poo.

Game moment you're most proud of?
Probably figuring out that Golems don't accrue Horror Marks, then utilizing my resources to build New Model Armies of kitted out Golem thugs that generated their own unlimited Imp chaff units. I was really proud of myself :v:

Most thankful for?
Every single one of you people who read this LP and encouraged me along the way. I really, really did not want to succumb to the "Dominions LP curse" and fail to complete it. The fact that I ended up winning makes it all the sweeter, but finishing was my one goal.

Special Shout-outs?
Yes! To Libluini for being an awesome, dedicated player, good friend, and ally. He's a really solid guy who you can trust to keep his word and act in good faith. I really enjoy playing Dominions with him.

To Ramc, who jumped into the driver's seat of Bogarus and took over a huge, complicated, dumb empire in order to help keep the LP interesting. I really, really appreciate your doing that, friend. You are a wonderful person and a deadly opponent (thus me never beating you 1 on 1)!

A shout out to the nation of Man's player Ubaten, who, if I recall correctly, was playing one of his first few games. You played really well considering, and you stuck it out for a long time after it became clear you would lose, which is a really big and good thing in this game!

And finally a call-out for Afrosquirrel, who played Pangaea. Your abandoning the game really threw things out of wack and sealed my victory. Getting tired of a game is fine, but if you can't find somebody to sub into your nation then at least go AI. Shame!

Anything else?
Oh man, the thread art! Thank you so much to all of y'all who made such fun arts. I linked them all in the OP and they make me so happy :)

But what became of Gath?
The end of the story is for you to decide for yourself. From my point of view, however, a nation that subsumes itself into dark, occult magic and blood sacrifice, summoning demons, devils, vampires, and all manner of other Horrors from beyond the Veil, is destined to become a tragedy of its own making. Gath, and The Might of Zionism, may have proved victorious in the end, but they sold their souls along the way. The Doom Horrors lie in wait, out of sight, out of time, patiently.

I'll happily answer any questions you have about the game to the best of my ability!

Yes.

How are u fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 4, 2017

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Also, shameless plug time:

I'm starting a couple of new Dominions 4 games, one of which is a vanilla no-mods game and the other of which is a Mo Money type game. If you've ever wanted to try Dominions now is a great time to do so!

Link to game announcement post

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

:golfclap:
This is pretty much how I see it ending. Gath bought victory for a terrible price. :dominions:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Libluini posted:

Also, since your LP is now over, can I just post my own leftover-turns to show what happened on my end? Last Saturday I was this close to record more commentary, but then I had to visit relatives, so it was a bust (On Sunday I played Space Empires V for 12 hours straight, which didn't help exactly, either)

I still want to finish my video LP, though! This weekend it looks like I can finally sit down and record stuff without some emergency stopping me.

Please feel free! I'll enjoy watching the last dozen turns from your perspective!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm really glad I managed to finish this thing before 5 was announced haha. That really would have sapped motivation!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Araganzar posted:

HOWRU notes developing Vampires as a key turning point in the game. My impression is they are OP to the point that they overshadow other clever/cool combinations I've seen with blood magic in other games. Would things have been markedly different without the vamps or was breaking heavily into blood magic more important?

Breaking into Vampires (by empowering that one Yeddeoni mage into Blood magic) was absolutely a turning point. They're hecka overpowered in vanilla Dominions 4, even if you don't have the ability to Blood Sacrifice. They're about the most perfect defensive unit you could ask for, combining excellent magic paths (skele-spam and Plague against armies, Leech and Hellbind Heart against raiding thugs) with fantastic mobility. Additionally, Vampire Lords that aren't being actively used in defensive fighting aren't even wasting their time, because they can sit there and slowly summon lesser vampires until you form hideous death-balls of immortal :fuckoff:

They very much needed a nerf in Dom4. Many mechanics seem to be being tweaked for Dominions 5, so we'll see how they end up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dallbun posted:

Libluini, your dedication does you credit.

Not an emptyquote!

• Locked thread