Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao

Lizard Wizard posted:

Who knows where it'll take us?

I'll put money on it stalling out by level 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual

is not a sandwich

This thread is taking me back to the good old days when I also used to play Alliance with my husband, so I hope you keep it up op.

also I vote feral

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Scaly Haylie

My cat form has served me well. I see no reason not to continue using it.

As it turns out, we've been using the Feral specialization the whole time! The game starts every character on a preset spec; we just didn't have the chance to change until Level 10.

As my legs carry me into the bustling city, I ruminate on the fact that my righteous journey will no doubt see me traveling constantly.

It would only be wise to pick up a craft of some sort, to keep my mind sharp and occupy my free time.

A character can have up to two professions. They fall into two categories - gathering and production - and generally speaking, it's a good idea to pick up a gathering profession that will feed a production profession. For example, mining and blacksmithing would be a great idea, but herbalism and blacksmithing would not. As such, I'll be offering up options in pairs.

• Mining/Jewelcrafting: I could strike the earth and make breathtaking jewelry, and create mystical gemstones with which to augment my equipment.
  • Mining/Engineering: I admit, while it's not exactly "druidic", there is a certain charm and novelty to the notion of whirring contraptions and devastating bombs.
  • Tailoring/Enchanting: While it's more the purview of balance or restoration druids, I could certainly apply myself to weaving fine garments. Through enchanting, I could enhance my gear, and break down any magical items I don't need into useful magical components.
:eng101::Tailoring/Enchanting may seem to be a bad idea as they're both production professions - but it's fine, really! Tailoring only uses cloth, which we can find on humanoid enemies, and enchanting only requires components you get by breaking down magical items. Thus, tailoring IS the gathering profession for enchanting. Hope that helps!
  • Herbalism/Alchemy: Taking the bounty of nature and using it to brew powerful potions and elixirs to keep me in good health and bolster my strength. I can't help but wonder if it's a bit too obvious, though.
  • Skinning/Leatherworking: I could put slain beasts to very, VERY good use by tanning their hides and turning them into leather armor.
Blacksmithing and Inscription are also available, but I'm leaving those out. The former wouldn't be terribly useful to a druid, and the latter...has been changed to not be terribly useful at all.

Casting a line into the water while the masses of humanity gossip around me...not a terrible way to pass the time, all things considered.

Fishing, as well as Cooking and First Aid (we can talk about First Aid later), are secondary professions, and don't count towards our two-profession limit.

After fishing for a bit, I stroll about town, ruminating. A rather charismatic chef enlists my aid in collecting apples for a cider. When I returned to him, he stuffed some ribbons into my backpack and shared with me a bewildering, but enlightening culinary tip: mayonnaise on grilled cheese.

Notice that Robby Flay has a blue exclamation point over his head. Blue exclamation points indicate daily quests, which, as you may expect, can be done once per day. They usually confer some kind of special currency.

I also volunteered to help a local fisherwoman by checking her lobster traps.

She rewarded me with what I suspect is garbage.

A posting for heroic work, eh? Perhaps finding a purpose will be easier than I thought.

And now, a mead to celebrate my impending good-doing. Nay, SIXTEEN meads!

Oog...my head...

...oh.

Our hero seems to have woken up in Ironforge! Will he stumble back to Stormwind, or find adventure in the dwarven lands? Also, what professions will he choose? I'm sorry to front-load the thread with voting like this, but I gotta!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 22, 2016

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Jewelcrafting and mining pls

Scaly Haylie

Munchables posted:

Jewelcrafting and mining pls

Thanks for your vote! But

Lizard Wizard posted:

Will he stumble back to Stormwind, or find adventure in the dwarven lands?

I also wanted peeps to vote on this. :sweatdrop:

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Lizard Wizard posted:

Thanks for your vote! But

I also wanted peeps to vote on this. :sweatdrop:

Ah, I misunderstood. Yes stay in Ironforge, I like snow and they can teach you how to mine.

Macnult

You "woke up" in Ironforge after a mead-induced pilgrimage. I vote you stay.

Scaly Haylie

Macnult posted:

You "woke up" in Ironforge after a mead-induced pilgrimage. I vote you stay.

No opinion re: professions?

Macnult

Lizard Wizard posted:

No opinion re: professions?

skinning and leatherworking

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
barf, back to storm wind please and herbs + alchemy for better living

Anoia

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
mining and herbalism

get that money

Scaly Haylie

Anoia posted:

mining and herbalism

get that money

I appreciate the idea, but I want to show off a production profession. Please stick to the options listed.

Macnult

I change my vote to mining and jewelcrafting

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I vote for whichever one is closest to investment banker. I think our intrepid adventurer should be like batman

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Scaly Haylie

Chill la Chill posted:

I vote for whichever one is closest to investment banker. I think our intrepid adventurer should be like batman

Prices fluctuate, but the only profession that won't earn us much gold is engineering.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Lizard Wizard posted:

Prices fluctuate, but the only profession that won't earn us much gold is engineering.

I missed out on a venture capitalist joke too :smith:

Twenty Four

Ahundredbux posted:

barf, back to storm wind please and herbs + alchemy for better living

Hard to argue with this, voting in

Anoia

Lizard Wizard posted:

I appreciate the idea, but I want to show off a production profession. Please stick to the options listed.

auctioneering is a profession all its own

and you'll make nemeses too

Scaly Haylie

Anoia posted:

auctioneering is a profession all its own

and you'll make nemeses too

Let's not make this LP more grognardy than it already is. :v:

Macnult

auctioneering is a great way to quit playing World of Warcraft

Scaly Haylie

Looks like jewelcrafting and alchemy are in a dead heat, as are Ironforge and Stormwind! Voting will remain open until 10:00 CST tonight, which is to say five and a half more hours.

Scaly Haylie

What? No new votes?

DESPERATE TIMES CALL FOR DESPERATE MEASURES!

it's alchemy in ironforge

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 23, 2016

Macnult

the adventure continues!

Anoia

Macnult posted:

auctioneering is a great way to quit playing World of Warcraft

dang you're on to me

Scaly Haylie

Trite though it is, alchemy suits me just fine. The guards direct me to an...interesting place.

The gnomes happily teach me a few beginner's potions, and advise me to stock up on vials.

Most, if not all professions require you to buy some manner of craft supply from a vendor, steadily increasing in price and fanciness for better recipes. For alchemy, though, we'll be using crystal vials for nearly the entire game. Go figure!

We also swing by the herbalism trainer. We can now pick herbs, and they'll show up on our minimap.

Just outside the gate? Easy enough.

Before we move on, let me say a little something about crafting. Note that some of our recipes are yellow, others are red, and one is gray. The red ones will always give us a point in that skill when we craft one; the yellows will often, but not always give us a point, and gray will not. Not pictured are green recipes, which seldom grant a point.

As our skill rises, red recipes will eventually become yellow, then green, then gray, forcing us to continue to elevate our craft with newer recipes.

We also use up our linen to make a veritable fuckton of bandages, which can be used for healing in a pinch.

Kobolds and troggs? Sounds right around my pay grade.

Hm? The sound of drunken carousing doth tickle mine ears. I shall investigate!

Brewfest status: investigated.
Oh hey, Brewfest is happening. Yes, WoW has its own annual holidays, so we get in on that for a bit. We might take a closer look later, but just know that I did some minor quests and got a beer helmet as well as beer goggles out of the deal. Unfortunately, it helmet doesn't show up on our cat form. Also unfortunate is the fact that the drunkenness filter makes screenshots look terrible. We did pick a few herbs while we were there, though!

Passing by an inn on the way to Loch Modan, I pick up a few quests in the interest of getting a good recipe for cooking skill-ups, and getting some boots finally.

So here's the thing about this little area: there are crag boars and there are wolves. The crag boars have the potential to drop not only Crag Boar Ribs, which we'll be able to use for that recipe, but also regular ol' boar meat, which we can use for ANOTHER recipe.

There are also wolves, which drop their own kind of meat. Basically what I'm driving at is it's a hotbed of meat activity. I'm here for a while farming all of this.

While running around butchering thigns I manage to gather up herbs, which brings me to my complaint about cooking: herbs and ores, which gate most crafting professions can be found scattered around just about anywhere. Meat, which are going to be your bottleneck for cookery, tends to drop from some creature or another in very specific areas. And honestly, the cooking buffs aren't great until much later in the game.

What this means is that leveling cooking is a gatdam waste of time that makes you run around in circles for little benefit while not doing quests - which at this point we know is our primary source of XP and sweet gear.

Like I said, though, herbs and ore are scattered everywhere, so we have no problem creating our druidic muscle potions while farting around and doing stuff that will earn us beer helmets and new boots.

To summarize today's lesson:
  • Craft as you quest.
  • Aggressively ignore cooking until you hit the endgame.
  • Brewfest.

Takane

by FactsAreUseless
why are you making strength pots as a feral druid? :confused:

----------------

Scaly Haylie

Takane posted:

why are you making strength pots as a feral druid? :confused:

I don't have any recipes for agility, and strength does, in fact, contribute to melee attack power even as a feral druid.

Takane

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't have any recipes for agility, and strength does, in fact, contribute to melee attack power even as a feral druid.

ah yeah, its been a long time since i've done a profession pre WoD or legion so I don't have that recipe struggle.

----------------

Scaly Haylie

Takane posted:

ah yeah, its been a long time since i've done a profession pre WoD or legion so I don't have that recipe struggle.

Yeah, usually I wouldn't bother until at least WoD but alchemy has the distinction of being immediately useful.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I remember brewfest. I was only like level 24 or so and I devoted enough time to get the full regalia as well as a pony keg that was usable like once an hour or so to provide infinite beer for ten minutes. Whenever someone in a dungeon run had to go afk I would break it all out and get drunk. Good times :)

E: basically just these clothes and a mini wooden cask of beer

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
I'm glad your doing this , LW so i can remember how boring this game is to play

Scaly Haylie

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm glad your doing this , LW so i can remember how boring this game is to play

It's definitely one of those games that's made for podcast listening.

Scaly Haylie

We join our hero as he passes into the more temperate Loch Modan area, where he is charged with ever stranger tasks...

...such as pulling stone teeth from the mouths of dead troglodytes.

And for this, he is rewarded well. We're gonna be getting a lot of gear with stats on it, so it's important to understand what these numbers mean. We'll just worry about what's on this item for now.
  • Armor, as you may expect, lets us withstand damage more effectively.
  • Agility increases our attack power, and increases our chance to dodge enemy melee attacks. This is the stat we should mainly shoot for as a feral druid.
  • Stamina gives us 60 health per point. Good to have, but not a priority.

In the process of turning in more quests, we hit 14 and gain some new abilities! Thrash hits enemies around us and makes them take damage over time, Revive does what it says to other people, and Teleport: Moonglade...

...well, it takes us to some druid place that I don't really understand the point of. Pretty, though!

Macnult

Moonglade used to be where you'd go to do quests for various shapeshifting forms. I think they just give them to you now

saucyseadweller

So Damn Saucy
Liz wiz btoke my heart with the last lp... im not ready to love again

Scaly Haylie

it's gotta be said, loch modan is not extremely compelling but i do have a mod that lets me play peggle on the fast travel system, though, so that's cool.

we do find a book that could lead us on a treasure hunt, that could be fun

also some gnome in ironforge asks us to find his friend bingles who disappered somewhere around loch modan. i didn't get a screenshot of him so have this doodle, and know that this is like every loving gnome ever

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY WE HIT LEVEL 15 AND CAN NOW CHOOSE A TALENT. talents these days are less min/maxy bullshit and more "modify the way you play", which is more fun

• predator - the cooldown on tiger's fury resets when a target dies with one of your bleed effects active. oh yeah we got tiger's fury at some point, it's a move that replenishes a good chunk of our energy and makes us hit harder for 8 seconds.

• blood scent - cat melee abilities are 10% more likely to crit on targets who are bleeding. this seems solid.

• lunar inspiration - can now use moonfire, a moonlight damage-over-time spell for balance druids that i'm not sure if i talked about, in cat form, and it scales off of the physical attack stat now??? could be neat.

what talent do we want? also do we want to prioritize finding bingles or finding this dude's stashes

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
It's the first one my friend

Takane

by FactsAreUseless
Predator is best for leveling while lunar inspiration is the way to go for dungeons.

----------------

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

predator sounds like the talent that gets kitties to send you gifts showing off their hunting prowess so go with that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

Ahundredbux posted:

It's the first one my friend

do you mean bingles or the talent

• Locked thread