Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

twistedmentat posted:

I love how they basically just introduced Fish in the episode long enough for her to hit everything that makes her terrible.

I'm Fish Mooney and I am respected, because I say so! *everyone instantly grovels* What has she ever done to instill respect or loyalty to anyone in this show?

Butch has always loved her, and everyone else's reaction this episode is either explained by "she's saving my life" or "those two guys she brought are aiming assault rifles at us"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, she's loving awesome. Her outfit rules.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So a theory making the rounds of the internet is that the show is actually set on Earth 3 and as such Bruce won't become Batman ever and instead is due to become the more ruthless Owlman.

The biggest problem with this theory is that it seems to be based on the idea that Bruce is going to stay brainwashed, which there's no way that's happening. Also traditionally Owlman isn't Bruce but Thomas Wayne Jr.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Fish Mooney is a fashion icon and all comics written after the 50s just seem so incredibly stupid.

Owlman? loving seriously?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I sure hope Bruce can save Rorschach from getting killed in this timeline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Evil Lee was loving awesome.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of got scared for a minute when Riddler cornered Penguin and Ivy because I was almost expecting him to look at Ivy and suddenly think "red hair/green outfit = Ms. Kringle/Isabella" and have some sort of freak out or something.

This is a strange longshot of a theory that ties into this, but presumably Ivy's unattached due to Penguin getting taken away. It makes me sort of wonder if while Penguin is gone if the Barb Squad is going to sort of bring her into the fold in some way and Riddler might end up causing her to progress into an actual identity of "Pamela Isley" at some point. Just a goofy thought, but she ends up through events just mixing up a bunch of names Ivy, Isabella, Pepper, etc. and she creates a fake identity in the form a Pamela Isley to eventually get a new start or something.

I mean, I know I'm looking too much into it, but "Pamela Isley" almost sounds like you could form a part of it with some flipped around syllables of Isabella: PamELLA ISAley.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I read an interview with Heller where he talked about their original plan with Ivy. She was to have been adopted by the wealthy Isley family, a contemporary family to the Waynes. However, the family was basically deeply hosed up (so far, so Gotham) and would push her to change her name completely, for whatever reason. She'd also be holding a grudge against Bruce, and blame him for her father taking the blame in covering up his parents murder.

It didn't work out for a variety of reasons (partially, I suspect, because they didn't have the most confidence in the original actress) but I suspect some sort of name change might still be on the cards. Possibly as a result of a personal reinvention rather than something imposed upon her -- to sculpt herself as the kind of person who can coldly use and discard other people, rather than the person who is usually the one being taken for granted despite her obviously good intentions.

I wouldn't put money on them teaming her up with Riddler, though I kind of love the idea. Seems pretty clear he and Penguin are still projecting massive chemistry with each other, and that looks like it'll still be on the table.

I suspect that (Season 4 spoilers) Ivy will be a part of the Selina and Tabitha plotline they're setting up in the finale. They're apparently being set up as a pseudo-mother/daughter combo, while both characters move further along the line to being their villainous selves. You can see Selina learning how to use Tabitha's whip in the trailer.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

why the hell would anyone live in Gotham?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

nooneofconsequence posted:

why the hell would anyone live in Gotham?

More importantly, why would you be a cop there?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

More importantly, why would you be a cop there?

Hazard pay.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Hazard Pay or death wish?

"So boss, got another load of cops from Bludhaven, where you want them?"
"Just toss 'em in the street they'll wind up back here anyways."
"What's that smelly pile over there?"
"Last weeks cops. Take em to the coast and dump em."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The station constantly being assaulted is one of the best running gags.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gotham Police headquarters is the CTU of the greater Batman universe, it would seem.

Only a matter of time before Bullock asks soneone to open up a socket or erect a perimeter.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

That's a real "I'm dying soon" speech.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Fish is dead! Again! :woop:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Lazarus pit!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Let us all hope it sticks this time.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Zero One posted:

Lazarus pit!

nah that's for Alfred

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

drat, Lee

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Noooo.... Butch! :(

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I was tired of Butch.

but noooooooooooooooo Barbara :cry:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
!!!!!

Solomon Grundy!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

oh gently caress they're gonna Grundy him

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
This is the first time I've ever shouted at a TV show for a good reason. HOLY poo poo Solomon Grundy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aw man Gotham is so god drat good. That was a kickass finale

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I loved the finale.

• I confess that I'm not a comic book fan, so I had to google Cyrus Gold. But it was clearly significant, so good on the producers to manipulate me into looking something up so I could be in on the reference, too.
  • Babs was getting to a point where I could deal with her being around. Completely gone was the weird soap opera poo poo from the first season, and in its place, we had a nutty wannabe crime lord. Seeing her go... seriously, they did this two seasons too late, but whatever.
  • Fish was not doing the Barbara Turn. Whereas Babs became a fun character, Fish never did for me. I'm glad she's dead. I hope she stays that way.
  • Poor, poor Riddler.
  • It's nice to see Freeze and Fire Whatchamacallit are alive and doing well. Or doing evil, rather. And Ivy. And Cat.
  • Speaking of Cat... well, when a problem came a long, she just whipped it. (Before the cream sat out too long, too.)
  • I like protobatman. No real costume, just a ski mask and black clothes. No gadgets, just fire escapes.

Great stuff. It didn't drag anywhere, nor did it feel like it was going too fast.

Well done, show. We have truly got our ham.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Looking forward to Protobats next season.

Fish and Crazybabs are dead and I really hope we never have to revisit either of them. Crazybabs had been fine this season, so I didn't like, cheer or anything when she died, but i'm okay with her weird rear end not being around.

I realize this show is set before batman, but I kind of wish we could just start the batman era now. I think they've set everything up. Penguin needs to fatten up, and Nygma needs to thaw, Catwoman needs to learn how to Catwoman, and Protobats needs to fall down a hole and discover the cave system under his house. I think that's about it, really. I guess Protobats and Gordan are still kind of young.

Does anyone else get the vibe that this is leading towards something more like the original batman cartoon, rather than the movies?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Calling it now, Babs is doing a stint as Livewire.

Also, between Butch Grundy and Bruceman, this show might have won my personal Best Comic Book Show Season Finale award 2017.

Unless iZombie can top it, but that's a real long shot.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I was hoping that Barbara would do something that might explain why Gordon would decide to name his daughter after her. But as we've seen time and again, no major character ever stays dead except Miss Kringle.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd love if Bruce's story next season is just him constructing the Batman persona, building the suit and cave, and those first steps. God drat I'm glad Fish is gone for good, though Babs was pretty fun, it was a really well done fight. Also glad Tech is gone too, god I hated that character. Only hack writers think that a character that always rhymes, always poor ones at that, is clever.

Pretty good way to sneak Solomon Grundy in there though.

I hope they use Ra's more next season, Siddig was a great casting choice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys never watched season 2 of Arrow did you? They already teased a Grundy that we never actually got.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
As dumb and contrived as this sounds (this is Gotham, after all) I was almost secretly sort of hoping for a last minute plot twist reveal that

Lee didn't take to the cure and was going to become HarLEE Quinn (her final outfit while still under control of the virus was black and red, wasn't it?) given the news report that about 10% of people didn't respond to the cure . Siddig's really short appearance as Ra's was impressive as hell to me, for some reason.

Phylodox posted:

Calling it now, Babs is doing a stint as Livewire.

There was a part of me that was wondering if Babs is going to go something like getting Fish's mind control powers or something. It's a stupid thought, but I could have sworn she referred to herself as "Barbara Queen" in one episode and in this one the comment of her being the 'queen' of Gotham made me think they might be positioning her towards a resurrection as:

1) Queen Bee (or Queen "B"), getting some variation of pheromone powers of a version of that character. It could give her a counter or leverage against Penguin's Army.
2) Queen of the Royal Flush Gang. It seems like various incarnations of that team have sort of chalk-white skin, so having her with some sort of due-to-death paleness post-revival could work. Taking the Queen moniker and maybe reteaming with Jerome (where he takes on the Joker name) to be part of a new gang using playing card motifs seems possible, too.

Man, this show's 4th season will probably be its last, but there's a part of me that really wishes that when the show is finally ended that a few years later someone looks at it and figures out how to do it all over again from the start to get us to the point the show is NOW without needing to go through 3 seasons to do it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was a fun as hell season and finale.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Gawain The Blind posted:

Protobats needs to fall down a hole and discover the cave system under his house.
Does anyone else get the vibe that this is leading towards something more like the original batman cartoon, rather than the movies?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a season one episode that involved a camping trip Bruce and his father always took? There's some drama and Bruce wanders off alone and falls down the sink hole. It ends with Alfred being aware of where he was the whole time and was just loving with him to teach him a lesson? Also he still has that secret room off the study where they found the "super computer."

I agree in that the show three seasons in is absolutely courting the animated series and has gently caress all to do with the Nolan stuff (as it should be).

Enjoyed the finale, although the weird "Fish and Penguin are best buds" thing was weird. I mean, he was under her compulsion or whatever but weird that she didn't just murder him out right but ... plot and all that I guess.

So, is Lee done or will she be back?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I saw an article that I didn't read before I got to watch the finale that had a headline "Fan Favorite villain dies on Gotham"

By the time Gordon went apeshit and stabbed Fish, with me cheering, and she had to have a line where she confirms she is dead and not coming back I was angry that they would possibly call her the fan favorite.

Then when Bruno got shot in the head I was confused which was supposed to be the fan favorite.

Then when Edward Nigma got frozen I was confused to if he was even dead since he's probably not dead since he didn't shatter like those punk ninjas freeze shot.

Then when Barbara got electrocuted and is obviously or probably not dead I didn't know what to think. You have two of them questionably dead and two of them obviously dead. So who is supposed to be the fan favorite?

The fan favorite was Fish, which I take issue with

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You make take issue with it, but it's true. People loved Fish. It was really only here that couldn't stand her.

Rad Chad
Apr 9, 2010

Fish Mooney and everything surrounding her is one of my favorite parts of the show. I didn't like her until she fell from power and I got to see the way the character acts when she's the underdog. I expected groveling when Carmine is about to have her tortured and killed in season one, but she takes it like a champ, and her saga in the Dahlmaker compound and the way she bargains and fenangles an escape is peak Gotham for me. https://soundcloud.com/tswimm-pronounced-like-to-swim/we-have-got-ham-in-our-mouths

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the finale

Very good TV

Siddig was good. Protobats was good. Grundy namedrop was good.

I'm glad they didn't kill off Penguin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

The Bloop posted:

I'm glad they didn't kill off Penguin.

And why would they? Was that even a rumor?

I don't think the show has killed off any "should be alive while Bruce is an adult" Bat-universe characters except for Maroni (and, if you count him, Galavan as Azrael).

• Locked thread