Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

One of the biggest things about the show is that Jim simply cannot actually succeed in cleaning anything up or there wouldn't be the need for a Batman in the first place. So he basically has to fail.

You say that like "The Empire Strikes Back" isn't the best Star Wars film. That film's nothing but the heroes experiencing cascading failures.

(I don't think Gotham is anywhere near that film's quality, but the point stands in terms of the structure).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShortLeroy posted:

Is it me or is Ben McKenzie now playing Gordon like the Clayface doppelganger?

The thought's crossed my mind -- McKenzie did that campy eyeflare thing in this episode that his version of Clayface was always doing.

You could read the bounty hunter characterization is a severe reaction to his breakup with Leslie, but it could also be what Clayface wants to do. That and going after Valerie -- on the rebound, or more of Clayface's womanizing?

That said, I'm not convinced, but I'm still thinking about it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jfood posted:

Penguin and Joker legit need to gently caress. So much tension!

DC probably won't ever let it get beyond subtext, but I love that the show is clearly leaning into that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

spooky like this! posted:

So who wants to bet that they're leveraging Alice's blood into Venom?

Does that make Michael Chiklis Bane?

(Also, he apparently took the part, way back in Season 2, with the understanding that he'd be doing this arc at some point. Which is both super cool, and more preparation than I thought Gotham would be engaging with.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I reckon the new Kringle is going to be one of the Dr. Strange clones, with implanted memories. She's also going to be a complete nutcase, and she'll create some situation that requires Penguin to come in and save the day.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sad that Mad Hatter has turned into the cliched villain "Oh no i was obsessed with someone who died through my fault but I'll blame the hero!" revenge story.

If the plot ends with Hatter combining his dual obsessions with Alice and Gordon, and forcing Gordon to dress up as Alice, it'll all be worth it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

spooky like this! posted:

Personally I don't really care because original Ivy was barely a character. Although sexing the character up is pretty creepy seeing as she's just physically aged.

I want to say that they could so something really interesting about puberty, and the way that women suddenly find themselves being commodified and treated as sex objects, and what it's like going through that transition of being sexually appealing but not being psychologically ready for it and it having the potential to seriously gently caress a person up, but...

Well, I love Gotham, but it's not that type of show, for various reasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I'm not necessarily being down on the quality of the show's writing, per se, and more the amount of space and empathy they're willing to extend to a new player in an already large cast.

That said, they're more likely to treat her sympathetically than not -- the villains in the show's regular repertoire* tend to have at least a kernel of sympathetic motivation hidden away somewhere. Even Stabby Babs.

*with the exception of the various Big Bads, like Hatter, the Court, Hugo Strange and Galavan Mk 1.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zebulon posted:

Seems like a possibility, but when the hell could that have possibly happened?

He got infected back in episode seven, I think, when he attacked Hatter and was then hauled off the bathroom. He turns up in the next episode with the band-aid, and that's the only contact he could have had with Tetch directly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Medullah posted:

It was a pleasant surprise when they killed off Jerome instead of trying to make him proto-Joker. Then they just said "Hey, people really liked Heath Ledger's Joker, how good of an impression can you do? Mediocre? Sounds great!"

I got the sense that the writers weren't too happy with bringing him back either -- he's resurrected by a cabal of pathetic fans, who spend all their time obsessing over that one promo clip he was in, lip syncing along like it's Rocky Horror. And then the Joker turns up and murders the poo poo out of his biggest fan.

Fox will never let them get away with it twice, but I'll laugh so hard if he dies again next week.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

Cobblepot gonna get rescued and nursed back to health by a big fuckoff queen penguin and it's flock. Like what the hell else can happen? He needs to get that taste for raw fish soon

It's going to Fish.

Hopefully with a giant loving submarine, armed with gently caress-off torpedoes and missiles.

For the record, I loving love Fish Mooney, and I reckon that she was everything that is and was great about this show from before this show knew how great it could ever be like that.

But, also, she's got to be back this season, since her continued existence is wrapped up with everything the Court wants. Plus, she has super powers, and they've got to be next on the docket for this show. Particularly now they've added Ivy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

Fox isn't at all happy with the ratings, but it doesn't help when they put it on hiatus every two months.

Uh, isn't it the sixth highest rated show on the network? They're not airing it because they decided to do that dumb 24 thing, not because they don't like the show.

Also Fish's back. I think I'm the only one here excited, though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

I feel like they're pretty clearly setting themselves up for a time jump so they can go full Year One if they get another season.

I think they've said repeatedly that they've absolutely no interest in having Batman feature on their show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JesseHechtCREATIVE posted:

Sorry to butt in, is this show good? I've been a fan of the old Batman Animated Series and I really like the Batman villains, so is this show worth the watch? Also, are there skippable seasons / episodes? Thanks!

It's constantly taking the piss, and camp as balls. I love it -- though sometimes it tries to be serious and fails miserably; other times it does serious okay though, but that's more the exception that the rule. A lot of goons don't like the first season, but in my mind it's about as fun as the show ever is, and has some absolutely classic moments. Also, there's a lot of set-up and character introduction in that season, so it's kind of important in the long run.

Also, if you're watching the first season, be aware that Barbara starts as the show's most mundane character, and absolutely ends up being one of the show's highlights. That transformation, if nothing else, is a big part of why I love the first season. That, and Fish Mooney, both the Lee episodes, and the parade of deliberately terrible knockoff Batman villains who keep having heavy things fall on them. Oh! And the first instance of several, once-a-season recurring gags.

(I always thought the weakest part was about a third of the way into Season 3, with the deeply unfunny Hatter arc. It starts good, but it really overstays its welcome, particularly galling when it was competing for air time with Dumb Ivy and Judge Dredd, who were both a lot funnier.)

The short version is that the show is deeply nontraditional, and it's more of a spiritual successor to the way people watched Adam West Batman, than to any particular era of the show or comics that I'm familiar with.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 26, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

But I think I've heard here on SA and elsewhere that Fox hates this show and wants it to die and we're not getting another season. Any idea how true any of that is? The :twentyfour: hiatus seemed like a real rough move on Fox's part, and not something you'd do to a show you're rooting for.

Fox doesn't hate Gotham. They're postponing episodes of Lucifer until September so Gotham can air its finale this year. Gotham's a guaranteed renewal, simply for syndication reasons, and it's still relatively highly rated on the channel. (I think sixth highest, at last look?) All this scheduling crap is just plain incompetence on the part of the network; again, look at the already renewed Lucifer.

If you want to see what happens when a channel hates a show, look at ABC's upcoming Still Star-Crossed. It's airing in just under a month and there's been absolutely no advertising, and the official twitter feed has been dead since about May last year. When they finally got an airdate, they only updated the side-bar, they didn't even announce it. Rumour is, the only reason it's airing at all is because Shonda Rhimes is producing it.

Gotham's fine.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

Does this mean we're getting Moron Bane with the tubes coming out of his head?

Depends where they go with ex-Captain Ba_r_nes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I didn't notice, but a friend did. Not sure it mattered that much to either of us.

The change I did notice is that they've decided to drop the I AM A LIVING GOD thing. Massive shame, that was super fun.

(I wonder if they're going to do something with her, Ivy and Selina, given that they're all friends -- or friends through Selina, at any rate.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phylodox posted:

I did. I noticed immediately. I miss Michelle Veintimilla. :(

She's going to be in Raul Constillo's new thing, so presumably there was a scheduling conflict.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also, she's loving awesome. Her outfit rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I read an interview with Heller where he talked about their original plan with Ivy. She was to have been adopted by the wealthy Isley family, a contemporary family to the Waynes. However, the family was basically deeply hosed up (so far, so Gotham) and would push her to change her name completely, for whatever reason. She'd also be holding a grudge against Bruce, and blame him for her father taking the blame in covering up his parents murder.

It didn't work out for a variety of reasons (partially, I suspect, because they didn't have the most confidence in the original actress) but I suspect some sort of name change might still be on the cards. Possibly as a result of a personal reinvention rather than something imposed upon her -- to sculpt herself as the kind of person who can coldly use and discard other people, rather than the person who is usually the one being taken for granted despite her obviously good intentions.

I wouldn't put money on them teaming her up with Riddler, though I kind of love the idea. Seems pretty clear he and Penguin are still projecting massive chemistry with each other, and that looks like it'll still be on the table.

I suspect that (Season 4 spoilers) Ivy will be a part of the Selina and Tabitha plotline they're setting up in the finale. They're apparently being set up as a pseudo-mother/daughter combo, while both characters move further along the line to being their villainous selves. You can see Selina learning how to use Tabitha's whip in the trailer.

• Locked thread