Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I love how people in Gotham inexplicably still use film so we can have a dramatic developing room scene of a shot they already showed us.

To be fair, ever since the beginning of the show, the show has demonstrated an eclectic mix of technology from different decades. The cars many folks are driving around are boxy 1980s models, and lots of cops still use flip phones, especially in the first season. Computer screens are huge CRTs. But the supercops have what appears to be modern body armor, and I'm not sure, but I think I've seen a smartphone or two lurking around.

So, it's not surprising that serious photographers still use film that they develop themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

JakeP posted:

lol so they recast ivy as a much older actress, and to make it work they had some dude who touches you and makes you age to death just touch her a little? perfect

I've seen dumber ways of recasting characters. Hell, I've seen a dumber way of coming up with Poison Ivy. Ahem.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

Gotham season 3: Make Gotham Safe Again

Methinks you've overthought it.

Gotham Season 3: Make Gotham Great Again!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Blackchamber posted:

This needs love.

The inaccuracy of being able to scratch on a CD (DJ-style) notwithstanding, I just love how 1) Bruce "The Batman" Wayne would do this just for kicks, and 2) his commitment to branding. I mean, there's no reason to put a Batman logo on his CD player.

But Batman did it because Batman cares about the brand.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Luvcow posted:

Totally thought Penguin was going to kiss Riddler there by the fire

I came here to post this.

I believe the writers, directors, and/or producers are loving with us. Earlier in the episode, right before the commercial break, there's a scene at the club where Penguin is holding Nigma's head and petting his hair, elated that he's still alive. It was framed like pretty much every single romantic rescue scene ever. I went back and paused it right at that moment, and my wife and I looked at each other--she said there'd be some gay memes tomorrow, and I agreed. But that scene by the fire? They definitely did that on purpose. I was convinced that Penguin was about to plant one right those tight, thin riddlelips.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

spooky like this! posted:

Also it's funny how David Mazouz keeps getting taller and taller (he's almost as tall as Donal Logue and definitely taller than Ben McKenzie.) By season 5 every scene with Bruce is just a torso and some legs because they can't get him into the shot.

Ah yes, like Al in Police Squad! and at least the first Naked Gun movie.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Ed is going to fall hard for Not The Kringle, then Penguin finds out about it (and it's not like Ed has any reason to keep it a secret), then Penguin kills Not The Kringle, then Ed finds out and swears vengeance. But he doesn't let Penguin know that he knows, because secret revenge.

Thus begins the Penguin-Riddler rivalry that... uhm... was such a big deal in the comics?

Maybe I'm wrong. But mark my words, Not The Kringle is dead meat.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Zebulon posted:

Seems like a possibility, but when the hell could that have possibly happened?

He's a doctor and it's possible that when « SECTION OF POST MISSING DUE TO TECHNICAL ERROR » and that's when he had contact with the blood. It was a small amount so it took longer to infect him.

It's perfectly simple.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So... Jim shoots Mario, whose starman power just ran out. He's going to die and the knife dropped and fell, so Leah won't know that she was about to be stabbed. She's going to soap opera blame Jim for murdering her soap opera husband out of soap opera jealousy and soap opera soap opera soap opera misunderstandings.

I love this show, but that is a straight-up soap opera setup right there.

Soap.

Opera.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Motherfucking Jerome is back in January!

This makes me less mad than Mish Fooney's return from the grave.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

GCPD headquarters is truly the CTU of the Batman universe. Full of moles, a different chief every season, and is constantly being infiltrated and assaulted by criminals and terrorists.

When Gordon told Leah that Mario was safe after an attempt on his life (or was it Leah?), he said that he (she?) was at the GCPD. I kept waiting for someone on screen to laugh.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK... did anyone else just love the over-the-top cornball amazingness of the family at home, watching Mayor Penguin's interview? In particular, the shot showing their reaction to Penguin saying "to hell with the people!"

I wonder what the script notes were.

"There is an all-American nuclear family typical of the white-bread, milquetoast, alternate-reality 1950s type. Keep the lights low so their whiteness doesn't cause the shot to be whited out. The father must have his hair done, be wearing a tie and a sweater, and he should be reading the newspaper. Smoking pipe is optional. The son should be dressed similarly to the father, but perhaps with a sweater vest instead of a full sweater, and a bow tie. Hair slicked down. Daughter and mother must be in skirts and blouses, and must show fear and shock at Penguin's words. The word "hell" is something they only whisper when reading it in the Bible, which they do every evening. This couple should make stereotypical Mormons roll their eyes."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I like that they're going full-on crazy with this show. They're embracing the strange balance between police procedural and totally impossible comic book madness that, well, any pre-Batman Gotham City show has to be.

"Who killed Galavan?"
"Which time?"

That slayed me. Sleighed? Who cares.

(I had to go back and get rid of the T at the end of Galavan's name. Dammit, Galavant!)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Detective Gordon sure slapped the grin right off of Jerome's face.

(Gordon's own facial expression was priceless.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
OK, I went with the "Gordon sure slapped the grin right off of Jerome's face!" pun earlier, but it doesn't feel like enough. I don't feel I've truly... gotten the ham.

How about this: I loved it when Jerome faced off against Gordon!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Nothing that gets thrown off that harbor stays dead.

The body of water around Gotham is a Lazarus pit. Who knew?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

bring back old gbs posted:

The eyes separating from the face as Bruce punched him was grosser and more subtle I think. The face slowly de-centering every time the camera cut back to it.

Yes, Bruce's beating was so futile that Jerome couldn't keep a straight face.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Nigma has been riddling here and riddling there quite a bit. Here a riddle. There a riddle. Everywhere a riddleriddle.

But now, the Riddling has occurred. We have full riddlege.

We have RIDDLE SIGN!!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

empty baggie posted:

Eds gasmask wasn't even sealed on the sides. How ridiculous.

Yes, that was the ridiculous thing that happened in this show. It seems totally unrealistic now, doesn't it? I mean, in reality, he would have succumbed to the effects of the gas, and thankfully it wasn't lethal because if it was, then they'd have bring him back to life. Hell, he might accidentally be given superpowers, depending on who it was bringing him back to life, and which methods (that have been established in the show) were used.

But that ill-fitting gas mask... yeah, totally ridiculous.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Lee escaping was really, really stupid.

Yeah, but Jim grabbing the idiot ball was stupider.

Jim: Hmmm. OK, Lee took the virus, and I'm pretty sure she injected herself. Oh... OK, here we are. Hey, cop dudes? Yeah, go ahead and go away. I'll go in and handle this person who is a little crazy at best [seeing as how she stole the virus] or superhumanly strong and evil at worst all by myself. No backup. Hell, I don't even want any witnesses in the 'un'-likely event that this meeting with a crazy woman or superwoman somehow goes awry. See you later! Don't look back! And whatever you do, don't go somewhere and follow me or Lee if we leave. Just go. Everything's going to be OK, because it's just one of those days. Bye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I loved the finale.

• I confess that I'm not a comic book fan, so I had to google Cyrus Gold. But it was clearly significant, so good on the producers to manipulate me into looking something up so I could be in on the reference, too.
  • Babs was getting to a point where I could deal with her being around. Completely gone was the weird soap opera poo poo from the first season, and in its place, we had a nutty wannabe crime lord. Seeing her go... seriously, they did this two seasons too late, but whatever.
  • Fish was not doing the Barbara Turn. Whereas Babs became a fun character, Fish never did for me. I'm glad she's dead. I hope she stays that way.
  • Poor, poor Riddler.
  • It's nice to see Freeze and Fire Whatchamacallit are alive and doing well. Or doing evil, rather. And Ivy. And Cat.
  • Speaking of Cat... well, when a problem came a long, she just whipped it. (Before the cream sat out too long, too.)
  • I like protobatman. No real costume, just a ski mask and black clothes. No gadgets, just fire escapes.

Great stuff. It didn't drag anywhere, nor did it feel like it was going too fast.

Well done, show. We have truly got our ham.

• Locked thread