Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I live on the peninsula so I'll tend to skew towards that area.

Dim Sum:

The Kitchen in Millbrae: My partner and I have recently started going there and have found it really good. Their har gao fillings are really juicy, I've enjoyed their chicken feet a whole bunch and generally think their fillings are quite nice. I've noticed their wrappers tend to fall apart, but otherwise I've enjoyed most of the offerings. The baked pork buns have a really nice and different texture than others I've had, and you can get the egg custard buns along with the tarts which is always quite nice.

Good Luck in SF out on Clement: Food's always been really good to me, I love their jook and I'd say their steamed lotus rice packets are some of the best I've had. Don't expect much in terms of decor or anything, it's a take out place with some tables, and don't take out of towners who expect everything to be white table clothes as I've learned.

Japanese:

Sushi Sam's in San Mateo: Seconding all the great things that have been said about it here already. It's a real gem and other than the wait, I'd go here every time if I'm looking for a great experience in San Mateo.

Pabu in SF downtown: I took my gf here for her birthday and we did the tasting menu at the bar. It was amazing. It's run my Michael Mina, so it's nowhere near cheap, but was worth every penny. Some of the fish was like nothing I've never had before in terms of both flavor and texture, and the A5 wagyu beef was decadent and amazing. Combine that with the sake pairing and it was one of my favorite dining experiences.

Himawari in San Mateo: This hits my sweet spot of good ramen and short wait times. Ramen Parlor and Ramen Dojo would both have better bowls in my opinion, but I almost never have to wait at himawari, it's a good bowl of noodles and they have jazz records on the walls and jazz playing in the restaurant.

German:

Gourmet Haus Staudt in Redwood City: Good food and one of the better German beer selections I've seen outside of Europe. They serve liters, the prices aren't bad, and they have a nice little outside area. It can get a little busy, but I find that's par for the course here, never had to wait too long for a table. It's right by the Redwood City Caltrain as well, so you don't even have to drive if you don't want to.

Indian:

Rasa in Burlingame: This place has a star but isn't priced like it at all. Really a great place and the food is amazing, their dosa's are to die for, I loved the ghostchili one as well as the amazing elephant ear dosa (it's seriously huge!). The curry's are really good but I love the shrimp masala the most I'd say. This is definitely a place to check out if you're in the area, I can't recommend it enough.

Steak:

Iron Gate in Belmont: And old school type of place where they prepare your ceasar salad and steak diane tableside. It's definitely a fun blast from the past with the menu and ambiance. The food is good though, I've only stuck to steak so can't vouch for everything, but if you're looking for a place to help your parent or grandparent remember the 60's fondly and have a good meal, this is the spot. Their souffles are amazing, definitely make sure to get one.

Chinese:

Chef Zhao in San Mateo: Their food is better than it has any right to be. I've loved their green beans, its the best Mao Po I've had outside of my friends mother's and their fish is fresh and tasty. It's Sichuan food and they know how to make things properly numbing and spicy. I can't recommend it enough and Kenji of serious eats has given it his recommendation as well, so you know it's good.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

amethystbliss posted:

Almost forgot about it because it isn't really a cafe, but Apple Fritter in San Mateo make really good lattes and depending on who is working, they have fun latte art. As the name implies, they also do amazing donuts and fritters (but also serve traditional breakfast/lunch foods). Sometimes the line can be out to the parking lot, though, so it's not worth the wait if you're just going for coffee.

I've found that the key there, particularly if I'm just looking for coffee, is to just call ahead. There's no line for pickup and they're generally pretty quick.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

what does this mean? I am unfortunate enough to have visited New Jersey twice, and everything I ate there was disgusting, including the pizza. I had pizza in NYC once, and it wasn't anything special.

Little Star is easily the best pizza I've ever had (thin crust -- no interest in deep dish). Places like Delfina, Beretta, Delarosa, etc., are perfectly fine. If just you want a greasy slice you dump hot sauce all over and fold in half, I am sure there are plenty of acceptable options. Maybe childhood nostalgia is the secret ingredient I am missing out on.

Yeah I never understood that either. Chez Panisse makes great pizza for instance and is instrumental in the whole California-style pizza (different that California Pizza Kitchen though they've bastardized some of it). It's not a NY slice or deep dish or anything, but there's good, regional pizza out here. I love Goat Hill in the city, I've heard great things about Flour & Water as well.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Agreed 100% on the dosas, if you like spice you should try the bollywood one. The truffle and elephant are fun too. Also I've never been disappointed with the seafood there, so if you like fish, go for the halibut.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Shadowhand00 posted:

Going to Rasa tonight - anything I must try in particular?

How was it? What'd you get?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ExplodingChef posted:

Looking for some SF recommendations. Wife surprised me with a quick trip over NYE for my 40th.

Since you're staying near Union Square you should absolutely check out Kim Thanh, it's my family's favorite place to eat crab in a restaurant. Their garlic noodles are also really good, and it's cheaper than Thanh Long or other places you might here recommended as great. I really love the black bean sauced one, but they're all really good and you can't really go wrong. Otherwise get the garlic pea shoots for a vegetable, they're grassy and garlicy and great. Walking distance and I'd be surprised if you ever had crab that tasted so good!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone here been to the Russian Renaissance https://www.yelp.com/biz/russian-renaissance-restaurant-san-francisco restaurant and would actively recommend or discourage from going? It looks fun, but I can imagine that going either way in terms of quality.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm headed to John's Grill tonight for dinner, anyone have any recommendations on what to order? I know it's an old school place that's been around a while, but I want to make sure I don't order something terrible or miss out on a special or something.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Re:SOMA food, I love the fried chicken at Little Skillet attached to the bar Victory Hall. It's better than it has any right to be and I've loved it when I've had it. Plus Victory is a legit bar with some decent beer, so that's two birds there.

Otherwise my Dad who's lived in the area since the earthquake speaks well of Brickhouse for a burger and a beer, I haven't been myself but it seems legit. Marlowe has a great burger if you can get in as well, it's a bit pricy for some options, but the meal itself is good.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Baby Babbeh posted:

Victory Hall / Little Skillet rules. Great fried chicken, great cocktails from bartenders who seem to know their poo poo, laid back crowd.

Fun tip, they often will have only regular sculpin at the front bar, but at the back they often have grapefruit sculpin if that's more your jam (as it is one of my favorites I often will take advantage).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Chef Zhao is great for Sichuan on El Camino and 25th, even has Kenji's recommendation!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bay Area goons, https://sf.eater.com/2017/6/20/15836106/wurst-hall-kenji-lopez-alt-san-mateo-restaurant, Kenji's opening a restaurant in San Mateo. Exciting if you like good food or follow him on serious eats, or both I guess :).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well tastes vary and Michelin is a blackbox anyways, so who really knows. That said I've been a few times and I thought the fish I had there was amazing, and the shrimp malabar was exquisite. I've certainly had worse food at other Michelin spots and to me it's higher than just a bib.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For my fellow goons here, Groupon's running a decent little promotion if you're interested in checking out Izzy's, dinner for 2 for 72 bucks. https://www.groupon.com/deals/izzy-s-steaks-and-chops-san-fran

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Capn Jobe posted:

Thanks for sharing this; I used to work right next to the San Carlos location (by the SC airport) but never went. This is a good excuse to give it a shot. Others, note that this Groupon is only for the San Francisco location; there's a separate one for San Carlos: https://www.groupon.com/deals/izzy-s-steaks-and-chops-san-carlos-2

I'm actually going to the SC one on Wednesday so can report back as well. I've only ever been to the SF one before, so excited to see how they compare.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you so much for this. My husband and I love the Izzy's in San Carlos, and we desperately needed a night out.

Absolutely! It was a great little deal so figured I ought to share. I got their filet mignon, a cut I rarely get, and it was delicious.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

Kenji's Wursthall is worth checking out. It will take some time for them to adjust the quantities of things on the plates. The traditional pretzel is smaller than you'd expect given what you're paying but the obatzda was on point. The sausages were really decent but under seasoned.. Sauerkraut was 'meh'; like I couldn't tell that it was fermented or pickled at all. Beer selection is pretty great. Potato salad was really good. I will go back and try the schnitzel sandwich and vegan doner kebap.

I was there last night and thought it also was solid. The bratkartoffeln(crispy potatoes) are really good, salad is actually well dressed and punchy, I didn't love my al pastor sausage, but my partner got the cajun which was really good. Beer selection is on point, but they were out of a few things, so not sure what's actually on tap and what's projected to be soon.

And agreed on the kraut, it was definitely lightly fermented. I love the heavier stuff, but I know some people prefer and enjoy the lighter style, so maybe just a preference?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ohh idk if you got the deviled eggs, but they were quite nice I thought as well.

According to this its just green cabbage and salt, which still should be a decent flavor, I think it was just lightly fermented, so there wasn't enough time for a lot of lactic acid to build up. There are definitely variations that are lighter, I had figured it was that, but could also be something they're still ironing out.

The salt issue I think would be hard to fix as they're buying the sausages, not making them in-house, though I supposed adding salt to the table would actually help haha.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I got there about 6, ended up being seated ~6:15 or so, though being seated probably isn't the best way to put it as it's open seating. So not that bad, but I've no idea if the rain was holding people back, etc.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Anybody have a good rec for the kind of dimsum you order in line and it's all put into boxes to go, not the kind where you sit down and get it brought to you in carts? I normally go to Good Mong Kok but I was wondering if there was some other place I should be checking out. Doesn't have to be in SF.

Good Luck Dim Sum is my go to, I think they have some of the best food for the price of most dim sum places I've been to. They're at 736 Clement St in SF, and have like 6 formica tables, but mainly a to go spot. On the weekends they're turnover means it's fresh, things move out the door quickly.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

A food blogger I follow has been trying to find good XLB here in the bay area and failing. All the talk of XLB though has made me want to find some here, anyone have any leads on where they might be?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Lawen posted:

I'm in town for a conference staying in Union Square and I think I'm running out of good places around here. Did Kin Khao last night, Deli Board and Zero Zero today, will probably hit up Box Kitchen at some point late night. Anything else in walking distance of Moscone to check out (bars too)? I'll be venturing out to other neighborhoods but good stuff nearby is nice to know about.

What are the uniquely Bay things that I should try? I didn't really know about Dutch Crunch bread until today and now I'm scared that I'm missing out on some other under the radar specialty stuff. Mission Burritos, Porchetta sandwiches, cortados, Fernet...What am I missing? If you moved away, even to another really good food city, what would you miss being able to eat?

The b.k. at Deli Board was insanely good, one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. I really hope I can get another before I leave town and will be trying to recreate it when I get home.

Kim Thanh has some of the best crab, the garlic and the black bean are my family's two favorites. Get the garlic noodles and the pea shoots too!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also who's David Kinch pissed off? I know it's slightly old news at this point, but man having your restaurant be the victim of arson in 4 years has got to really suck :(.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Development posted:

I'd like to try wakuriya, but yoshizumi said you need to call at midnight a month in advance :effort:

You reaaaallly should do it though. Seriously one of the best meals I've had. I haven't done a lot of omakase, so can't claim to be an expert there, but it was one of the best meals in the bay area I've had, really blew me away at how thoughtful and artfully executed the whole meal is.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Leopold's was quite good when I went a few years ago, less specifically sausage focused, but still great beer and food.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

Did they change ownership in the last few years? I went there a year or two ago, and the old Austrian man was nowhere to be seen and the food was definitely not as good, possibly even bad. I remember deciding we wouldn’t go back. I live pretty close to Suppenküche and Walzwerk, so not highly motivated to go too far for good German food.

Oh good question, I used to go semi-regularly back 4 years ago or so, and it was great. I haven't been back super recently but I'll stop recommending it until I can go back again if things have changed that much.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 14, 2018

Carillon
May 9, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a longtime question i've had

why are there so many fuckin restaurants in san mateo

is it like a liquor license thing or what

Look at Burlingame, Redwood City, and Millbrae, not quite the same level, but I think that they all have their city center that has a high concentration of places too.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Looking for a place to go with about 10 older guys, it's a dinner club that meets once a month. Usually they'll pick places like Capurro's, or Marcello's, Jeanne D'Arc, that sort of place, which is fine, but as it's my month to pick I'd like something a little more exciting. Was thinking of Violet's, Blue Plate, or Maven. Any one have any experience with those spots or other suggestions?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

Been to blue plate twice, its great but not new/different/exciting.

Full bar? Or beer/wine only (if you remember)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Not that it matters, but we ended up going to Fior D'Italia, good place but definitely old school.

What do people think of the new Michelin guide? Personally I'm happy Wakuryia stayed on and happy for Crenn to now have 4 stars, but I can't say I've made it to a lot of the others on this list recently.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

I was going to go to Manresa in the summer with my family but it caught fire literally the week before my reservations. :supaburn:

Same! It was one of the least fun emails I've received, particularly as it was going to be a birthday present to my girlfriend. Second fire in 4 years, someone really hates the guy.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone else been to Royal Feast in Millbrae? It won a bib, it's been one of my favorite places to go so nice to see them getting recognition.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

Yes, I've been there before. It was very good and authentic Chinese food that I really enjoyed.

Out of the three bib gourmand Chinese places in that area, I think it was the best over Wonderful and Yi Yuan.

Wonderful was really good as well but I just like the dishes at Royal Feast better.

Royal Feast has replaced their menus from the last time I've been there. I think it's mostly the same, but the menus are a lot sparser and I think you have to order a lot of stuff off menu now. Certainly I know they used to have banquets you could order and I didn't see that last time.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

sorry its a simple google korean bbq san bruno theyre called Seoul Kalbi Korean BBQ

Wanted to say thank you so much for the rec, went there over the holiday and loved it!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I think the top meats were the spicy pork bulgogi, the kalbi shortribs, sliced blade steak and the garlic pork belly. Opinion was split on the chicken and rib-eye. I thought they were ok, but my companions didn't seem to find the chicken texture a bit spongy like I did, and the rib-eye was good but I thought sliced too thinly.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Interesting. Does this place by chance have full liquor? I am about to switch from managing a bunch of bars to selling booze, meaning I will need to visit accounts/wine and dine buyers. I definitely want to hit the South Bay and love Korean BBQ. I know very little about places down there other than Manresa as I've spent the last 20 years between Oakland & SF, so any recs are welcome!

E: I was in the Richmond the other day and went to a place called K-Element BBQ that was AYCE Korean BBQ. I didn't notice a meat smell either in the building or on our clothes after (and I'd just come from a photo shoot so I had a lot of clothing with me) but I will say that it was a Monday night and not that busy. It was huge for an SF restaurant, so presumably they can get very busy and might smell more strongly then.

Seoul Kalbi in San Bruno I'm pretty sure doesn't have a full license. I only saw beer/wine/shochu on the menu.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Harry's Hofbrau in SJ is closing. Redwood City one is still up but that's still a bummer, it's been around a long time.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

I need to start carrying ponzu and vinegar with me for hot pot joints that don't put them on their sauce bar /rant

Just bang your utensils on the table until they bring you some :argh:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

Cool thanks I'm gonna check it out and report back

Same, on Friday actually! It sounds really good and I love Koi Palace so very excited.

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Went on mother's day and loved everything. XLB were perfect as expected. Got away with ~$100 for three people.

Anything else you'd recommend? I'm going there for dinner and I've heard the menu's a little different, but would love any other insights :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

404notfound posted:

SFGate put out a bay area Michelin star restaurant guide recently. Their website layout is garbage, and the slideshow format they presented this in (140 images!) doubly so, so here's a deslided version: http://deslide.clusterfake.net/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfgate.com%2Ffood%2Fa%2Fsf-michelin-star-restaurants-california-13865113.php

Anyone been to Kin Khao? I hadn't heard much about it but it looked good?