Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

waloo posted:

I am craving some youpo biangbiang noodles, and it has been a few years now since Iast had some in China so I have relaxed standards now probably too. Are there any recommended places in the city that do shaanxi noodles?

Holy poo poo I want to know this now too. I didn't know what these noodles were and looked at youtube. Noodles with vinegar and soy sounds very much like my jam. I've been dieting for the last month but this could be one of my cheat day meals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DUwj87FR6A

What is in the above video: It's like Chinese pappardelle with garlic, green onions and chili placed on top then hot oil is poured on to 'cook' them. Then there's a vinegar and soy sauce resting in the bottom of the bowl. Mix it up thoroughly. I'm salivating.

edit 2:

I am now dead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaEEg2Y35s

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Not XLB but on Milpitas chat: This is just like the original Vietnamese 7 course beef place in the Tenderloin but the ambiance and quality is... "improved". https://www.yelp.com/biz/anh-hong-milpitas-milpitas-2

Making your own customized fresh rice paper rolls is delightful. For example I'm a rau ram fiend whilst my girlfriend is all about cilantro, so we can share the food and have it meet our personal tastes pretty precisely.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cooking Papa in Foster City makes some decent stuff including XLB.

And I don't think you'd be going wrong getting them at Koi Palace Daly City either.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 20, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bees on Wheat posted:

Mervyn's used to be the best speakeasy

I used to work in Mervyn's basement... In their headquarters in Hayward! Only great recession kids in the east bay will get this.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Had the whole chicken baked in brioche at Nomica. So good. Had some of the best sashimi Tuna ever, it was like eating fatty beef steak only softer. Their cocktails are on point too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The guy behind Suppenkuche and Biergarten recently opened Radhaus which looks like a direct Kenji Lopez' Wursthaul competitor (American/Californian take on Bavarian/German). Anyone got a trip report? I might check it out tonight.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Can you tell your buddy that a cdc from another restaurant is coming to check it out tonight at 8pm? :) girlfriend said she doesn't like me doing this shes embarrassed.

Also I know I wasn't saying he's copying Kenji, just noting that it's interesting that elevated/fusion German food is a thing right now. I loving love Suppenkuche.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 12, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks for the tip I went there many many years ago and the amount of sugar in their red cabbage was off the charts sweet. They also served me a flat moscow mule (I saw them pour it out of an already opened bundaberg bottle). So I just never went back.

Ludwig's in south bay was decent too it's worth checking out. Brotzeit on the water in Oakland has decent beers too.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
radhaus was rad

We ordered the pickles/sausage/cheese plate, pretzel with mustard and horseradish, bread dumpling in beef broth and brussel sprout salad. I had my absolute go-to favoite andech's doppelbock and my girlfriend had a drink which was meant to be brandy and stroh rum (my Oma uses stroh rum for her Christmas rumballs its 160 proof austrian rum you can't mistake the taste) but either their recipe is hosed or the bartender doubled the rum quantity by accident, it was pretty awful. Or maybe stroh rum shouldn't be used in cocktails period I dunno

The pickles were REALLY pickled which is great, as all too often house pickles are quick/weak poo poo. My favorite was the pickled beets and pickled pumpkin/squash. The sausage was delicious but casing was chewy. The fatty prosciutto looking meat (it wasn't speck/shinken no smoke taste) was ok very mild mostly you're eating it for the soft fat. The best part was the dirty sock soft-ish cheese I forget where I've tasted it before but I know that taste it was so good.

brussel sprout salad was delicious tons of finely grated Parmesan with some acid was great, light.

My favorite was the semmelknodel (bread dumpling) in beef broth. The beef broth was super dark and flavorful (maybe a little too much salt which is saying a lot for my gf). The dumpling was obviously house made and tasted like what my oma makes maybe needs some more fresh herbs and seasoning though. The crispy chips that looked like slices of fresh garlic were a great texture contrast I think it was a root veg can't remember.

pretzel was your standard tiny american pretzel, why don't these places make real bavarian sized?? House mustard tasted like cumin. Meh.

They charged $13 for a dish when the menu listed $12 so they're still ironing out some kinks.

I'll be back to try the schnitzel at the very least.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
its a good location between some of the other bigger peninsula cities and has a big 'downtown' city with density. But there are shitloads of restaurants up and down el camino. There's some really good asian food hidden away up this northern end of the peninsula.

I found by accident one of the 4 remaining real oak charcoal grill korean bbq places that have grandfathered permit to let you grill with charcoal at your table, in San Bruno of all places! It just changed owners/chefs a few months ago and was amazing. It's not good for first/second dates because you and your date are going to smell like you went camping, the smoke gets in your hair and clothes.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 16, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
sorry its a simple google korean bbq san bruno theyre called Seoul Kalbi Korean BBQ

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
yeah nah i was being snippy i forgot to list the loving restaurants name

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
nice brunch spot with 'a view' ?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
cheers

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Been to blue plate twice, its great but not new/different/exciting.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
beer wine only I think I don't remember

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

OGS-Remix posted:

I definitely want to try to hit more 3 star places this year but getting reservations is a real pain. On that note Single Thread reservations open at 9am this Saturday.

I must have gotten so loving lucky. The only time I tried to book a 3 star on my own, I got a res for 2 @ Benu for 8pm'ish weekend earlier this year. Food was pretty blood good but the ambiance was cold.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Californios was fantastic though right

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
a lot of 2 and 3 stars are like that, they're not relaxing at all. I don't like it either but apparently people do?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Octavia is top notch

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Tasting menus are good for restaurants to get rid of stuff and reduce food costs but it takes a skilled chef to create good cohesive dishes when that's the reason the tasting menu was added. It's also meant to be 'value' for the diner, getting more food for their buck.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You're welcome. I need to go back soon now that the weather is colder. Which meats did you try and would get again?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
How was the meat, and did the ventilation work well or did you leave reeking of smoke?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The food at San Leandro was awful and their main customer base is dying off so this comes as no surprise.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I need to start carrying ponzu and vinegar with me for hot pot joints that don't put them on their sauce bar /rant

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
anyone checked out palette tea house yet and have a trip report?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cool thanks I'm gonna check it out and report back

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'll be doing lunch instead of dinner because I'm all about the cheung fun steamed rice rolls and their dinner menu is limited in this respect.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A friend posted a roast quail dish from some new restaurant in the bay area and they left the head on the plate too. New trend? I dont think it was bird song.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Doesn't deserve a star but it's a good contemporary take on Thai.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Went to Mission Chinese for the first time. The first table they seated us at smelled of urine. Service was unfriendly and later on inattentive - that's their shtick / it's intentional? Plates were chipped, also intentional? Music was 80s revival/remix, some chvrches and other synth stuff. Food was OK. I won't go back unless I'm taking people from out of town and they're into that dirty divey bar hipster alt vibe, in a restaurant.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

luminalflux posted:

There's one in mission / Potrero but the clientele was all bougie tech people when I went

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Z&Y gets rated highly in publications/instagrams but you can get better szechuan in Millbrae and other locations further away. If you want a guaranteed decent experience in the city it's not a bad idea.

Mr. Jius is high end with some fusion/modernity to it. Good cocktails. If you go here PM me I'll see if I can get you VIP treatment.

Carillon posted:

Same, on Friday actually! It sounds really good and I love Koi Palace so very excited.

How was it btw? I too liked to frequent Koi Palace when I was further south, and I like a lot of the Millbrae joints, but I'm still yet to get out to the north side for this.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 17, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

OGS-Remix posted:

Speaking of which maybe we can do a Goon Meetup at Paper Plane in SJ. We got a top 10 bartender in the US down here now. :downs:

If we did a bay area food meetup maybe a little further up the penn I'd go. SJ is a schlep. If this really happens and SF goons without cars wanna go, I can drive.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am so in. (This may be a deterrent.)

yeh same in both regards

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
if San Mateo (which has better after-dinner/drink options vs. millbrae) is the location and not somewhere closer to BART, then I recommend sticking to Wursthall because the Bavarian style bench seating is better for larger groups. More conducive to moving around and open conversations.

I'm in SF and I can fit 4 people in my civic coupe but it will be squishy in the back. I won't murder you, but I will subject you to Aussie folk-country music.

Kenji just posted on IG that wursthall has sound dampening panels now.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 18, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
my palette tea house trip report:

Tuesday night, not busy, reservations for 2 were available for any time we wanted. It's in ghirardelli square. They automatically add 15% tip, I guess because it's in ghirardelli square (tourists don't tip?).

The plates at your table are little paint palettes where you spoon in the sauces you would like for dipping. Our server presented the sauces and said you spoon them in, but she didn't bring the spoons like the tables around us had, so we messily poured them in. The sauces were "house" soy, some kinda fancy seasoned chili and this was the best one most flavor, hot mustard, cilantro/lime and finally a regular smooth/thick hot sauce like sriracha.

The menu is big. There is a lot of stuff that sounds good. We ended up with:

Scallop Siu Mai - they were on the larger side, tasted like fresh scallop so they were good. Would order again.

Gai lan with oyster sauce reduction - they trimmed/wittled the ends of the gai lan which I'd never seen at yum cha before and these were cooked to PERFECTION. Great crunch, no bitterness, they are getting some top notch produce for this. The gai lan was the best I have ever had. The oyster sauce reduction though was a misleading description, I don't know if they just ran out and were substituting or the line cooks hosed up, but it didn't taste much like oyster sauce and was not a reduction. It was a gravy thickened with corn starch. Tasty but not didn't seem to match the description on the menu. I'd still order this again for sure god drat was that good gai lan!

palette house xiao long bao - those of you familiar with koi palace or other dim sum joints that do it will know this take on the classic soup dumpling. 5 dumplings, each a different kind. e.g. kale/spinach green dough, squid ink black dough with shrimp filling, tumeric yellow, brown with beef filling etc. They held together well no soup leakage, plenty soupy inside. Would probably get again or get the traditional kind.

7 spice crispy fried silken tofu - they were very crispy with melt-in-your-mouth tofu inside, the texture contrast was great. The letdown? Bland, they had no salt, didn't really taste much in the way of 7 spices just a lot of garlic. Was great with sauces though, I'd get this again for the textures.

Shrimp cheung fan (steamed rice rolls, they call them rice crepes) - disappointing. The sauce is weak, bland, imparted barely anything. Filled with lots of shrimp, though. The style of rice roll was thin. Came out kind of cold, maybe service hosed up and let it sit too long. Fell apart too easily.

seasonal veg cheung fan - more disappointing. Same weak sauce, rolls were filled with corn, carrot and peas. honestly it took me back to when mum would steam a packet of frozen veg medley. maybe people will like the nostalgia trip. extra messy because they fell apart too easily and the veg were very small pieces.

Steamed char siu bao - typical char siu bao nothing amazing not terrible. Wouldn't order again because of the other unique things they had but we weren't feeling up for the durian or custard baos.

still thinking about that gai lan.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I think the idea is this place is a bit of a tourist trap and they're full of poo poo on that one.

edit: tourist trap was a bit harsh and not exactly what I meant. I guess I want to say their servers aren't as educated by the establishment on what they're selling, not held to a high standard like other upscale restaurants we're used to and just make poo poo up. Tourists will buy it but bay area foodies will furrow their brows in skepticism.

and maybe you can technically make soy sauce a lot quicker, it just won't be very good.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 24, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Dumpling empire, dumpling king, my favorite is house of noodles their noodles are house made plus great boiled dumplings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

I missed this. This is an AMAZING resource holy poo poo thank you for sharing!