Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the only translation things that work are projects helmed by the translator, or that the translator is personally a fan of, like Orenronen's LP of Dangan Ronpa, or Slowbeef working on a fan-translation of Policenauts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

You realize how marginal the chances of this coming out in the US are, right?

That's what they said about Dangan Ronpa, before the translation LP made it popular in the west.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's what they said about Dangan Ronpa, before the translation LP made it popular in the west.

That's slightly different. There weren't any other games in the series released in the US at that point (for Dangan Ronpa). There are currently 5 Trails games out in the West, and as far as I know, none of them have sold particularly well, despite them being phenomenal games.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Theres a fan translation thats almost done for Zero, it went through some poo poo, but a super fan or 2 took interest and are fixing it up, unless it gets a cease order you can definitely expect it before Sen 3. In case you don't know, Super Fan basically means they were officially consulted during the localization process in some way, also atleast one seems to be present on every single message board the series can be discussed on.

If we've learned one thing from this series' history in the west, its never say no to a LoH localization, we thought that for all 5 localized games so far and got them eventually. And while I'm not sure about sales, at the very least its taken up permanent residence in the RPG Hivemind at this point as a paragon of quality.

If you do LP it though, It's alot of fun to see an LPer share their love for a game when they LP rather than just transcribe it, so you know gush about it in the theoretical LP if possible.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 12, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's also possible that if you want to just summarize the conversations and show off the rest of the game, that works, too. But if the game is narrative focused, it'll lose something in the retelling.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'd like to request a refresh on the already-existing Albion request. There was a good LP started up of it not too long ago, I forget whether it was last year or early this year, but it disappeared pretty fast. Any style of LP will do, but Hybrid or Screenshot would probably serve it best.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I've heard good things about The Sexy Brutale, so I'd be interested in seeing that be LP'd

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zero no kiseki has more dialogue than war and peace dude. even if it's just the mainquest and even if you just summarize, that's a shitton of work to ask someone to do for no benefit. I mean, someone might want to do it just because they like the kiseki series, but it's not like a magical japanese-knowing genie will come along and wave their wand for you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

zero no kiseki has more dialogue than war and peace dude. even if it's just the mainquest and even if you just summarize, that's a shitton of work to ask someone to do for no benefit. I mean, someone might want to do it just because they like the kiseki series, but it's not like a magical japanese-knowing genie will come along and wave their wand for you.

a finger on the monkey's paw curls, and the game is translated accurately, but heavily localized with words like "bae" and reggae lyrics converted to be about pokemon

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just make poo poo up, maybe no one will notice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That just reminded me of at least one LP (Maybe Didja Redo's Avalon Code playthrough?) where they literally rewrote the entire plot of the game. I know Dark Id did that for I am Setsuna as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Didja Redo's LP of Avalon Code didn't rewrite the plot of the game so much as add characterization to a blank slate MC, IIRC. There was a lot of writing involved, but it was all adding onto the skeleton of the game's bare-bones plot. I don't think anything was changed, though. Scintilla's LPs of the first two Breath of Fire games did quite a bit of that, as well, although less with the second because he was playing the retranslation patch.

There was an LP of either the original Gamecube Animal Crossing or Wild World that added a horror movie-esque plot to a game about a village full of cute animal friends, though. I'd consider that a fairly thorough "rewrite" of the game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Yeah theres a huge difference between adding content where none exists and replacing content. I love when Lpers add that personal touch to their lps that makes it a unique experience that the game alone cant give you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like, as long as the readers/viewers are informed of what's happening, or the LP is of a very well-known game that almost everyone and their kid brother knows something about, even a complete plot rewrite or a Samurai Pizza Cats-style "translation" LP of a game could work if done well. For example, the Animal Crossing LP I mentioned above is an interesting read.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

a finger on the monkey's paw curls, and the game is translated accurately, but heavily localized with words like "bae" and reggae lyrics converted to be about pokemon
haha, yeah, i sure would hate for a translation to use 'bae' a lot. i definitely wouldn't do that *said in an extremely 'i definitely haven't done that in my translations' voice*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

I thought monkey paw wishes came with a catch

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The translation is faithful but a random character is replaced with brooding badass Iscar Matthias.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Hang-on, this request for a translator is to assist in LP-ing an anime game. Implying the poster cannot manage the translation themselves. Implying the poster has plans to LP a game they themselves cannot fully read or thoroughly understand themselves, possibly not even play without outside assistance.

This is a good plan?

I vote monkey paw plan.

Step 1, Acquire monkey.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

The White Dragon posted:

Were you on the Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse translation team?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

haha, yeah, i sure would hate for a translation to use 'bae' a lot. i definitely wouldn't do that *said in an extremely 'i definitely haven't done that in my translations' voice*

you would be amazed at how many people flip their poo poo when i do this lol

Beelerzebub posted:

Were you on the Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse translation team?

no should i have been

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

The White Dragon posted:

no should i have been

Yeah, "home slice"

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Didja Redo's LP of Avalon Code didn't rewrite the plot of the game so much as add characterization to a blank slate MC, IIRC. There was a lot of writing involved, but it was all adding onto the skeleton of the game's bare-bones plot. I don't think anything was changed, though. Scintilla's LPs of the first two Breath of Fire games did quite a bit of that, as well, although less with the second because he was playing the retranslation patch.

There was an LP of either the original Gamecube Animal Crossing or Wild World that added a horror movie-esque plot to a game about a village full of cute animal friends, though. I'd consider that a fairly thorough "rewrite" of the game.

The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing

As much of a 'classic' as an LP can get.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A fun thought/charicterisation experiment - which Video game character would you like to see an LP from, and which game would he be best and worst suited to - it can be at varying stages of their development. My picks:

Shu from Blue Dragon doing a Dark Souls LP. Either start of game belligerent idiot, which would be a trainwreck as he'd bang his head against the same wall refusing to give up, or late game wiser Shu, who would know the value of keeping your distance and beating a tactical retreat when necessary, and would probably do quite well.

Kaim from Lot Odyssey doing a Diagaea LP. Hours and Hours of postgame item dungeons while he tells stories from his thousands of years of eternal life could be a relaxing watch, or him Sarah, Cooke and Mack doing a family Splatoon LP, 4 player vs, with Cooke scolding Kaim for letting her win.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Worst

Rean lping Yandere simulator.

Any Silent Protag lping anything with scrabble gameplay.

Best isnt as funny

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm still waiting for Kermit to finish that Oblivion LP.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

I would love to one day see a VLP of 7 Blades for the PS2. It's a crazy weird fun japanese game which would be great to see. I unfortunately don't have the means to LP it myself :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BioEnchanted posted:

A fun thought/charicterisation experiment - which Video game character would you like to see an LP from, and which game would he be best and worst suited to - it can be at varying stages of their development.
Lee from The Walking Dead playing LISA. :getin:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sonic plays Sonic 06.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Two things: the LPs for The Prisoner and Star Ocean 4 have both finished, and I'd like to request LPs for 2 Mega Man games: Mega Man X: Command Mission and Mega Man Star Force. I think those are the only Mega Man games left that haven't been LPed.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

BioEnchanted posted:

A fun thought/charicterisation experiment - which Video game character would you like to see an LP from, and which game would he be best and worst suited to - it can be at varying stages of their development.

Off the top of my head:

Best:
Samus playing one of the Mass Effect games and getting annoyed by everyone except Shepard being some kind of idiot.

Vincent from Final Fantasy 7 roping Cloud,Tifa,Yuffie and Barret into playing Overwatch with him. He'd be a Reaper main,obviously.

Chris from the Resident Evil series playing God Hand and getting hyped as poo poo over every cool thing,ultimately admitting that Gene's his role model.

Cyrus from Dawn of War 2 playing a stealth game like MGSV in an efficient and methodical manner while talking about his missions with the Deathwatch and Blood Ravens would be very funny/tense as he pulls off crazy poo poo. And whenever Skull Face shows up he'd get confused because he sounds exactly like his Battle-Brother Avitus.

General Radec from Killzone 2 playing something like Company of Heroes while nitpicking his enemy's battle tactics.

Solid Snake and Raiden from the Metal Gear Solid series playing one of the Splinter Cell games with the co-op.( I dunno, one of the new ones?) There'd be lots of goofy banter,strategizing and technobabble.

Rico Velasquez from the Killzone series playing Brigador and getting pumped up to commit warcrimes.

Worst:
Leonard from White Knight Chronicles bumbling through Shadow of Mordor like an idiot,even throwing a tantrum over the Orcs dissing him.

Rico doing a High Chaos Run of Dishonored while failing to even grasp the concept of stealth.

Locke from Halo 5 playing the original Trilogy while whining that he's totally cooler than Master Chief,no really guys.

Dash Rendar from Shadows of the Empire playing through one of the Wing Commander games while telling tall tales of his "exploits".

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 23, 2017

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

Dash Rendar from Shadows of the Empire playing through one of the Wing Commander games while telling tall tales of his "exploits".

How is this in the Worst category and not the only entry in the Best category?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Because Dash Rendar is the worst. :colbert:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

VolticSurge posted:

Because Dash Rendar is the worst. :colbert:

Mods?!?

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

No, see, it's the worst fit for Dash because it gives him a valid excuse to lie. But from our perspective, being at the bottom of the Worst list, it wraps around to being the top of the Best list. Sort of a Double Best.

I'd love to see Kyle Katarn tackle Soldier of Fortune II, and end up swearing by the M4 with M203 for the whole game because it reminds him of an Imperial gun he used on a mission or two.

Or for a non-Star Wars option, Agent 47 and Sam Fisher going through the Thief series.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Clapping Larry

VolticSurge posted:

Off the top of my head:

Best:
Vincent from Final Fantasy 7 roping Cloud,Tifa,Yuffie and Barret into playing Overwatch with him. He'd be a McRee main,obviously.

FTFY

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

But he's an edgelord who angsts over everything and has seemingly supernatural powers. Reaper seems like more of a fit.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Seeing how it's about to go under, I'd like to toss Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard yet another lifeline.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'm gonna put in requests for Dragon Quest Monsters Joker and Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, both for the DS. I've gone through both of them, but I'd like to see how someone else goes through them.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I choose to re-request Geist as well as request something new, the Gagharv trilogy from the Legend of Heroes series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I quietly put Bravely Second back on the list before it rolled over, but I'm also going to re-up Manga Carta and Final Fantasy Type-0 because Artix still has a date with destiny and it will not be denied.