Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Funny hats only, please.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Sinnlos posted:

Has anyone in this thread been through Pre Cana with the Roman Catholic Church? I'm about to start with my fiancé, and have a general idea of what to expect, yet find myself still somewhat apprehensive about the whole affair.

My now-husband and I did the Friday-night-to-Sunday-afternoon Engaged Encounter, because I lived in Montana and he lived in Virginia and going to weekly classes was not practical. It was very much a "you get as much as you put in" kind of thing; he was rolling his eyes all the way through it and I think he might still resent going, nine years later, while I found it helpful enough to hang on to the workbook we got. Assuming you are not living together and are both of childrearing age, if you've already discussed what you expect from living together and when you expect to have kids, you've covered one half-day of the Engaged Encounter already. (Going over it again, and hearing other couples discuss it, will probably still be helpful.)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

CountFosco posted:

So would Eastern Orthodox recognize the baptism of a protestant? If they're wrong about its legitimacy, and the baptism was legitimate (say, through the holy spirit) would a second baptism have some negative consequences?

I know someone who had four separate Catholic baptisms; she was sickly as a child and two relatives baptized her secretly, along with her parents having a nurse in the hospital baptize her, and then just in case she had a baptism at church, too. So this isn't even a case of "what if a Jehovah's Witness baptism was valid after all" (since Catholics consider them definitely not valid), since even the wackiest, most-vacant-sedevacantist folks don't rebaptize fellow Catholics. There's no negative consequences for the baptizand; one supposes that a minister purposefully rebaptizing people whom he or she knows are not in need of baptism might be trivializing the sacrament, which is bad, but wouldn't affect the person being baptized.

The Eastern Orthodox in general are much less, uh, particular about rules, so I can't imagine it's any different for any of their, uh... subgroups. (Is "particular church" an Orthodox term too?)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

that's for the priests. the less americanized the Orthodox in question are the less likely they are to dress up for church. but men should uncover their heads and women should cover theirs.

also, zonohedron, what is a "particular church"? then i'll let you know if we have them

I have no idea the actual definition, but, e.g. the Latin-rite Catholics are a particular church, the Maronites are one...

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

Now that I think about it, I think every church I've ever been to has had a kitchen.

Of course, a number of those were Catholic churches that also had Catholic schools attached.

Same here, whether or not the church also had a school, whether or not the church ever had potlucks or post-service coffee. (In my current parish's case, no school, potlucks, or coffee, but the kitchen's where they cook the pancakes, breakfast tacos, or sausage that the Knights of Columbus sell as a fundraiser every other month, or the spaghetti dinners that the high school youth group does as a fundraiser, that kind of thing.)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

rap music posted:

you're not a real christian unless you speak fluent galilean aramaic

http://www.thenazareneway.com/lords_prayer.htm

quote:

Our Father-Mother Who art above and within: Hallowed be Thy Name in twofold Trinity.

...twofold Trinity? Either this is the weirdest variation on Patripassionism ever, in which case someone needs to point out that 'Trinity' involves 'three', or there's six Persons in the dual Godhead? (Or are there five, with one Spirit breathed by... one or more of the other four?)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Yeah I remember reading an article about these guys. It's fair to say scholarship isn't their strong suit.

When the fantasy religion in the Curse of Chalion is more consistent and well-written than someone's Gnostic fantasies... :ughh:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

WerrWaaa posted:

Apologetics seems to exist mostly among inerrantists. Yes? Doesn't seem like something that concerns those of higher liturgical traditions.

Catholics have long had an apologetics tradition; it's not strictly a convert thing. On the other hand, the counterexample I was going to use was apparently a convert from Presbyterianism at the age of 16! (Frank Sheed - he did apologetics in the 1920s through the 1970s.)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

WerrWaaa posted:

That's very true! Would I be more accurate to say that current apologetics, the kind that is interested in proving God through shoddy science, is more intended to defend inerrant creation stories? It doesn't seem to me to be in the same vein as a philosophical apologetic.

Absolutely. I mean, there's a huge difference between "Some things are contingent, but if everything were contingent then nothing would exist, therefore a completely necessary being exists, and this Necessary Being we call God," and "Hey, did you know eyeballs are complicated? They're super complicated! Nothing that complicated could exist without God! Therefore there is a God, and also he wants you to say the sinner's prayer, you sinner!" One of them is meant to be part of five doorstops worth of argument, the other one is meant to shut down argument.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Bel_Canto posted:

Oh sure, they totally can, it just won't happen overnight. It's like integrating into a new country that speaks the same language as you, at least on the surface, but people use some words differently and look at the world in very different ways. The part where we get annoyed (and this happens with converts to many religions, not just Protestant-to-Catholic) is when they start getting their undies in a bunch about how none of the people around them are sufficiently Catholic because they don't read the Catechism for fun. Not only is this deeply uncharitable and skirting close to mortal sin, but the breathtaking arrogance required to be a newcomer and tell people who were born and raised in a religion and have practiced it most or all of their lives that they're doing it wrong really beggars belief. It's like coming to live in Britain and telling the residents that they need to be more like the cast of Downton Abbey. But at least, like HEY GAL said, we have big enough numbers that an rear end in a top hat convert isn't going to be made a bishop: instead they just congregate on CatholicAnswers and r/Catholicism to bitch about their insufficiently-orthodox RCIA instructors.

Now, to be fair, every so often a cradle Catholic is deeply perplexed that her fellow cradle Catholics don't read the Catechism for fun, but at least I don't think that makes someone insufficiently Catholic, just insufficiently informed about what, exactly, is included in the official catechism. The bigger problem with a lot of Protestant-to-Catholic converts is that they "read themselves into" Catholicism, and then they read themselves right back out of it (e.g. Robert Sungenis, who believes that heliocentrism is a heresy and that Benedict XVI was an antipope), because they're still used to the idea that what they believe, and where they belong, should be based on what they read, not on the consensus of their fellow believers or the authority of their bishop or the like.

Edit: I accidentally accused Sungenis of something extra; the site I was reading said "his antipope", but that was because that was a sedevacantist decrying Sungenis's heliocentrism.

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 4, 2016

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

That's a thing I miss from Protestantism, fire and brimstone angry preaching

that and the phrase "on fire for the Lord"

Oh hey, that reminds me. There's a song my preschooler likes on the Christian radio station where the singer says he knows God is active because he sees people "standing on the truth". What does that mean in liturgi-speak? :v:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Phlegmatist posted:

Question for the Catholics:

Can a member of the laity give someone a Trinitarian baptism and have it be valid even if it's illicit?

In case of emergency, even a never-baptized atheist can validly (and since this is an emergency, licitly) baptize. They need the correct matter (water, not beer or sand), form ("I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"), and intention (wanting to do whatever it is Christians do when they baptize people). That's why we accept baptisms from denominations that think it's just a public statement of faith; if they've got matter, form, and the intention to baptize like Christians do, it counts.

A Catholic layperson will be more likely to know the form and to baptize in the manner they've seen other baptisms done (water poured or sprinkled thrice on the baptizand's head, or three immersions), which means if there's an opportunity later to do all the other neat ritual bits, the priest won't have to conditionally rebaptize the person ("If you are not already baptized, I baptize you..."). But their own baptism doesn't make any baptisms they perform intrinsically more valid.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Do I need to start lumping you together with the Catholics and Orthodox, too?

One of HEY GAL's mercenaries went to a Lutheran service and didn't know it wasn't a Catholic Mass until partway through, so sure, lump him in with us!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I was thinking it might be fun to do a Christianity Thread Secret Santa for Christmas. Unfortunately, the very first thing we'd have to do is decide when Christmas is and that's going to be difficult. :angel:

Feast of St. Nicholas? Do we celebrate his feast on the same day?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

nobody celebrates anything on the same day, we got different calendars

Sometimes Easter happens to fall on the same day! I didn't know if there were permanent 'coincidences' like that one :eng99:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

JcDent posted:

Glad thing we never had people of color in my country, no racist tradition.

Except for dressing up as a gypsy for... the celebration of winter's end. I dunno how you amrikki call it or even if you do it, seeing how USA is large and full of strange climate places.

Right, celebrating the end of winter is weird when there's parts of the US where it snows in June and parts of the US where it not only doesn't snow, it never even gets cold enough to try. So we don't do that. Our "dress up in racist costumes" holiday is Thanksgiving, when a bunch of white kids make feather headdresses out of construction paper and vests out of grocery bags and pretend to be Native Americans sharing food with their best friends the Pilgrims.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Ceciltron posted:

Well the blood of christ isn't supposed to taste good, is it? I'm pretty sure my priest uses wine that's turned to vinegar- I used to be able to smell it when i served as an altar boy.

Same goes for the wafers they use for eucharist: the second it touches your tongue the moisture gives it the texture of a horrible gelatinous lump.

Maybe it's intentional?

No, there's no reason why the wine or the bread should taste bad. One of the churches near me uses very sweet white wine; when I was in college, the parish just off campus used box wine presumably for cost purposes; IIRC my parents' parish buys wine from a monastery that makes it. When my parents' parish still used glass chalices, a number of parishioners complained when they used white wine because it didn't "look right". (Which I guess is a less-obvious reason not to use glass chalices!)

Wafers taste bad if they are stale, or moldy, or stored next to something that had a smell, because they are just flour and water. They shouldn't, though.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

System Metternich posted:

Maybe an explanation of the rosary is in order for all non-Catholics itt:

The Rosary is a pretty, uh, "haptic" prayer; you can pray it without the beads, of course,but it's that long and repetitive that it has become common to pray it with the beads in your fingers. It's become *the* Catholic devotion since it was according to legend given in 1214 to St Dominic by the Virgin Mary. It's got its own feast (Our Lady of the Rosary on October 7th, which was initially instituted to celebrate the victory over the Ottomans at Lepanto), there have been dozens of papal encyclicals and apostolic letters been written about it, there are archconfraternities of the Rosary all around the world with millions of members, there are tons of pious legends about the spiritual benefits of praying it and so on.

lt's prayed like this:

You start with the Sign of the Cross followed by the Creed at the cross; the first bead is for the Lord's Prayer and at the following three beads you pray one Hail Mary each and then the Glory Be on the next bead. Afterwards you've got five "decades", that is ten Hail Marys (Maries? :v:) concerning a specific Mystery (today for example you'd try and meditate on the Glorious Mysteries of the resurrection of Christ, His ascension, the descent of the Holy Spirit, the assumption of Mary and her coronation in heaven) - five Mysteries with ten Hail Marys each altogether. After each decade there's the Glory Be, and the next decade is started with the Lord's Prayer again.

There are some interesting differences between how I pray the Rosary and how it's apparently prayed in the English-speaking world. For one: we don't say any psalms at the cross as the English wiki tells me; at the end of each decade it's common at least in Germany and Austria to say the Fatima Prayer as well ("O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy.") And finally, and most surprising to me, is that we don't "simply" meditate on the mysteries as you apparently do; we also insert them into the Hail Mary, e.g. like so:
(first Glorious Mystery). The same goes for the three Hail Marys at the beginning, where we've got a specific addition after the word "Jesus" each. Maybe I'm dumb and you guys do that anyway, but I looked at like a dozen "How to Pray the Rosary" pages and it wasn't mentioned anywhere, so I just have to conclude that you don't do it.

Around here it's also common for groups to recite the Rosary alternatingly, i.e. the one half of the group (normally it's divided left-right) saying the first part of the Hail Mary including the Mystery, after which the other half picks up and says the rest. Which half of the group says what also changes with each decade to keep things fresh :haw: Do you do that too?

The Fatima Prayer's prayed in the US also, and I've never heard any psalms said in any part of it either, so that's the same; but I'd never heard of adding the mysteries into the Hail Mary! I like that, though. It seems like it'd be easier to keep one's mind on the mystery, rather than doing "HailMaryfullofgrace theLordiswiththeeblessed artthouamongstwomenand blessedisthefruitofthywomb Jesus Holy MarymotherofGod prayforussinnersnowand atthehourofourdeathAmen" ten times in a row. (Given the mention of the Fatima Prayer: the three visionaries got scolded for more or less doing exactly this when they prayed, prior to seeing the apparition of Mary!)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

pidan posted:

Does this make sense to you? Essentially, I can't just take Jesus at his word because he's God, after all, I have to accept his words to believe that he's God in the first place. It's circular reasoning. The Muslims at least claim that their holy book is so well written only God could have done it, Christians don't even have that.

HEY GAL posted:

well until roughly fifteen minutes ago, nobody read these things absent a thousand years of interpretation and ongoing conversation about the text, which we call "tradition" for short

The Gospels were written by the Church, for the Church to use; you'd be taking Jesus at his word because you'd already be accepting his words, and these would be some of those words you'd be accepting. In turn you'd be accepting them because they were part of the tradition of the community you worshipped with. We might argue over what the text was trying to say, but it'd be in that context.

I mean, you asked, "Why is it a good idea to humble yourself, and who gave Jesus the authority to tell people to do that," and it seems like you're expecting that to be in the text already? But in a lot of ways the Bible is the Cliff Notes for the entirety of Sacred Tradition. It isn't going to contain those explanations. Even where later parts reference earlier parts, that reference isn't always made explicit.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

pidan posted:

As for the value of humility, my point is just that the text makes no argument for it at all, it just goes "humility: God approves", and 100% of the reasoning is filled in by the reader.

Edit: I guess my instinct is that there must be some technical meaning to the terms the text uses, so that there is some solid explanation there if you just understand the definition and contexts of the words. But maybe it really is like zonohedron says and is just a shorthand note about an ongoing discussion. Like, the sayings of Confucius don't make too much sense as soundbytes, but when you look at the discursive context it's much clearer.

The parables are supposed to be a little bit opaque without interpretation - not totally impenetrable, but even the disciples who traveled with Jesus often had to ask him, "Okay, what's that supposed to mean?" The value of humility before God is threaded all through the Bible, so his listeners would have picked up on that; the unexpected part was that it was the tax collector being humble, and the implication that they, good Jews, might find anything to emulate in a Roman collaborator.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I don't think avoiding encouraging irresponsibility is the only reason that bad things still happen. If I touch a hot stove I will get hurt, even if I don't mean to touch it or if someone lied to me and told me it was cold. If I step on a lego it will hurt, and if stepping on a lego causes me to fall over it will hurt even more. None of that is about my selfishness (though lying to me so that I'd burn myself would be an exceptionally cruel thing to do, and in theory a lego owner should clean up their own bricks) or really even unmet needs. Even 'real' suffering is still often the result of actions having consequences; if someone builds a house shoddily and it collapses and squashes a little kid, that little kid did nothing to deserve being squashed but God preserving them from being squished would mean God was altering the consequences of the negligent builder's actions.

(Do I think God does sometimes intervene anyway? Absolutely. A man flung himself off a balcony and fell ten meters and completely recovered from his injuries because of the intercession of St. Juan Diego. That doesn't mean that it's safe to fling oneself off a balcony, and if falls never caused injuries that'd distort how we experienced the world and what we understood of cause and effect.)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

the topic of defenestration has followed me to yet another thread

Technically it's de-balcony-ization.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Phlegmatist posted:

distill the essence of a hundred crotchety old men. form a homunculus of salt and dirt.

speak the secret thaumaturgical words "the poor should just lie down in the street and die" to bring it to life.

that's dale reed.

And then someone erased the spite from his forehead.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Man Whore posted:

the concept of televangelists makes me wish someone would go full on cleansing of the temple.

Counterpoint: Venerable Fulton Sheen. So the concept of using television to evangelize and even proselytize isn't bad.

The execution... uh... well... :yikes:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Just started a job doing data entry/receiving phone calls for government medical/food assistance programs, need an appropriate patron saint stat

Today is the feast of St. Jude...

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yes, and while I admit I am not an expert on St. Jude, it just really sits wrong with me to look at charity and social programs for lower-class people, and package them into a box labeled "desperation/giving up". To me this is incompatible with much of the Gospel, as it places a second-class humanity onto those who find themselves in the position to receive such aid, and denies the transformative power of loving one's neighbor.

"Lost causes" does not mean the person asking St. Jude's intercession - people aren't lost causes while alive! - and it doesn't mean social programs count as "giving up", any more than going to St. Jude's Children's Hospital means someone's untreatable. St. Jude is the patron of things despaired of and needs that have been forgotten because he himself wasn't much venerated, despite being one of the Twelve, because his name was too close to Judas Iscariot's. People don't seek government assistance as a first resort - not necessarily a last one, but it's nobody's first choice - and so St. Jude seemed to fit quite well, besides it being his feast day. (Which he shares with Simon called the Zealot, in the Latin rite, because they were martyred together.)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Jaramin posted:

That really depends on your individual church. Most are just like "well, you said the prayer and signed this card saying you said it with Deacon X, you're God's problem now! Seeya at the rapture!" which may have cost more souls than it saved due to its attitude of apathy and appearance of hypocrisy. A congregation that actually cares will have discipleship programs you can go to at the church, or they'll have someone come to your home if your schedule doesn't permit regular attendance.

Okay. What's a 'discipleship program'? Is it a Bible study? (perhaps one that progresses in complexity?) Is it a community service program? Is it where the church gets new musicians or ushers? I don't think I have any Catholic referent for it.

Bel_Canto posted:

This must be how Cythereal feels when Catholics and Orthodox start gooning out over liturgy and sacraments.

:catholic::hf::psyduck: ?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

P-Mack posted:

There should be Mario Kart after mass.

It is easier to evade the blue shell than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Does this mean purposefully flinging yourself off the parapet of the temple a bridge so angels Lakitu catches you while the blue shell hits whoever was in second and is now in first is a good idea? :haw:

Jaramin posted:

My denomination considers Christianity contingent solely on individual faith, so if someone converts they might not have any idea what the particular details of our faith are beyond salvation. Since converts often have no real familiarity besides passing knowledge of who some of the major characters in the Bible are, when church meets, etc., before they want to join the church they can be walked through the basics of [our] Christian doctrine, given scriptural instruction, look through the church constitution and so on. In a sense it's like a backwards version of Chatechumanization?

Usually baptism is immediately recommended as a symbolic representation of their newfound faith, but they are encouraged not to join the church until they know enough to decide if they want to stay there or find a place more suitable for them. They're encouraged to participate in church activities like choir, help with maintaining the facilities, seeing to the social and transportation needs of infirm members, or other activities that get them around other Christians more. It could even be recreational activities like a bowling night or everyone going out to eat together.

How... how does someone convert before knowing what they're converting to? I'm not trying to be dense - someone discovers(?) or declares(?) or decides(?) they have faith in Christ, but rather than say "all right, this is what we teach, does this sound like beliefs you can accept?", your church says, "Okay, welcome to the church, here's what you've been saying you believe by saying you're a member of our church"?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

By far the most important issue for the Christian Right is abortion. With one candidate being heavily pro-choice and the other going strongly pro-life, there was always only one option for them.

Until this election I was a single-issue anti-abortion voter; by some definitions I still am, because I was more comfortable voting for a candidate whose policies, in general, would have reduced the number of abortions, than a candidate who admitted to having wanted one of his wives to get an abortion, and who I don't think is pro-life any more than he was pro-any-other-of-his-promises. Given how strongly Evangelical leaders either denounced or refused-to-support Trump, and how much Evangelicals are rumored to follow their leaders, I was actually surprised that the denouncing and non-supporting didn't 'take', so to speak.

(edited, because HEY GAL noticed that I had a thinko)

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 10, 2016

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

we don't agree on that much, zone; fix yer typos

thank you for catching my thinko

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Thanks for your answers. Two follow up questions.

First, how does a miracle get attributed to a specific saint or saint candidate?

Second, if a miracle requires a reputable scientist to examine it and give an official "idk", if later science advances and the examiner says "Oh so that's how it happened!" does that cancel the miracle?

A miracle is attributed to a specific individual if that individual's intercession was requested. For example, in the case of St. Juan Diego, he was beatified without a second miracle because he had been revered as the man to whom Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared for centuries, and at the same time as the beatification ceremony (and in the same country, though not the same city), a man leapt off a balcony and landed on his head. His mother, aware that Juan Diego was at that moment being beatified, asked him to save her son. The man recovered, which on its own was at least unusual given the eyewitness accounts of his fall, so five 'medical consultors' (to quote wikipedia) were, ah, consulted, and they agreed that the recovery was inexplicable. It was thus attributed to Juan Diego's intercession.

People promoting the cause of a given venerable will often instruct people praying for that venerable's intercession not to request the intercession of every saint they can think of, but only that specific individual, to make it clearer whose intercession was involved.

As for "does that cancel the miracle", no - there's probably attested miracles where we'd say today "oh, yes, that person did have blahblahosis of the whatever gland, but in 10% of cases that resolves without treatment," but that doesn't mean that in the specific historical case it wasn't miraculous - perhaps if it happened today there'd be some other element to the case that made the recovery inexplicable. (Or maybe not, and if it had happened today the people directly involved would still consider it a miracle but the Vatican would keep looking for something more definite, so that we're not going around telling scientists, "Oh yes, this person's really bad headache went away, and thus so-and-so is a saint," which would make us look not just credulous but stupid.)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, what distinguishes a saint from an angel, from Mary, or from the human person of Christ?

Saint from Mary: only Mary is the mother of God and thus the Queen of Heaven (think Queen Mum, not Queen of England)
Saint or Mary from angel: the saints and Mary have bodies (some of them, and Mary, even have their bodies with them in Heaven), were born, grew up, and had their whole lives to choose God or self, instead of one single choice
Saint, Mary, or angel from Jesus Christ: have one nature instead of two (either human or angelic, respectively); not God

Jesus wasn't a human person *and* God, he is the second Person of the Trinity who is both human and God. (This is why Mary is the mother of God even though she only has a human nature: my mother is not the mother of my nature, she's the mother of me-the-person, and Mary isn't the mother of Jesus's human nature (despite being its sole source), she's the mother of Jesus-the-person, who is God.)

Because Mary, the saints, and the angels aren't God, they can have extraordinary knowledge (the saints that could know a reluctant penitent's unspoken sins while on Earth; any of the above hearing the prayers of those on Earth or those in Purgatory) or extraordinary powers (multiplying scarce food, healing the sick by their touch, surviving attempts to execute them, etc, while on Earth; or directly appearing to those on Earth), but they just have that knowledge or power, and only as a gift from God; God is his knowledge and is his power (and is his justness and is his mercifulness).

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What is the human relationship to holiness? Is it something you are, something you do, something bestowed on you? Is it the same as goodness?

Holiness is closeness to God, yes, and yes, respectively.

Bel_Canto posted:

There's a huge bias toward healings, firstly because those get asked for by tons of people, and secondly because they're easy to consult doctors about and verify. I happen to think that Bl. John Henry Newman's second miracle already happened, but it wouldn't be accepted by ecclesiastical authorities because it's super :gay:

I agree with you that there are at least two miracles attributable to him (if a saint's body's incorruptibility can count, I think a saint's body inseparability from his beloved's body should certainly count!), but it's not just whose body from which his can't be separated that keeps it from being credited as his second miracle; if someone falls from a fifth-story window and doesn't die, that may be due to the intercession of a saint but it's not inexplicable, since people survive falls from that height, sometimes. (Not just that. I am not going to pretend that that isn't part of it.)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

There is no (recognized) Saint of my name. :shrug:

One of my classmates in elementary school was named Shannon, and her parents' pastor objected that there's no St. Shannon. Her grandmother said, "then she'll be the first," which, naturally, got repeated every time a teacher in religion class asked us if we knew what our names meant.

Obviously this means you two need to be the first goons to be canonized. No pressure. :catholic:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Interpreting Judaism through an English translation of the Tanakh is like interpreting Christianity through nothing but an English translation of Gospels. Judaism is a practiced and lived religion, and if you want to understand how it is lived and prayed, you don't go to Christian sources to find out.

The problem is that many American Protestants do do just that, or, worse, only through a carefully curated selection of verses. So it makes intuitive sense that Judaism should be equally-well interpretable that way. (From a Catholic point of view, it is equally-well interpretable, which is to say 'equally badly'.)

"Why do you have all these extra-biblical ideas?" the non-liturgical Protestant demands.

"Well, because not everything important to our faith was written down; some was handed on orally," the Catholic or Eastern Orthodox Christian replies, defensively.

"But God said that 'all scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach'!" retorts my lovingly-constructed strawman, quoting the Douay-Rheims because it amuses me.

"Yes, and?" sighs the Catholic. "The Jews also had extra-biblical traditions, both revelations that were not written down and interpretations of those instructions, plus interpretations of what was written down."

"Just because the Jews did it, that makes it okay?" exclaims the straw-Protestant. "Next you'll say it's okay to use incense in church because the Jews did!"

"Weeeellll...."

Ceciltron posted:

I don't think implying that the old testament is angry and mean is antisemitic. I mean there is the entire fact the thing is a kind of racial-supremacy narrative that, *thank God*, is swept away by the decision to bind the Gentiles to the Jews like the branch of a wild olive tree is joined to a cultivated one. Then again, if looking at the (biblical) actions of Jews regarding non-Jews in the places they're in charge of leaves me with a sour taste, then maybe I'm antisemitic!

It's anti-semitic insofar as it implies that Christians adopted a friendly, loving variant of God, and Jews stuck with an angry, mean variant, as if they just didn't like the friendliness or something. It is also not an accepted fact that the Old Testament is a racial-supremacy narrative; it is common for Christians to identify different covenants between God and man and to look at how they expanded in scope from 'a single family' to 'an entire nation', and certainly Jews would point out that conversion was possible, at which point someone became a member of the Jewish race.

Further, saying that the Old Testament is 'mean' and Jesus is 'nice' ignores all the times that God, in the Old Testament, is referred to as full of mercy, remembering good deeds for thousands of generations, and ignores Jesus calling the Pharisees white-washed tombs full of rot, or making a whip to clear out merchants from the Temple. Jesus is not a hippy who just wants "everyone to be friends and share, man," and the God of the Tanakh (torah + prophets + writings = the Old Testament) is not a cruel judge sitting on a cloud waiting to zorch everyone with lightning bolts.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Caufman posted:

Out of curiosity, how long has this topic's prohibition been going on, and how much longer is it planned for? Eternity is an acceptable answer.

Mercy to the people who bring it up.

Not eternity; presumably after Christ returns in glory we'll be able to discuss contentious topics in this thread. This is why... uh... was it Thirteen Orphans and I? Somebody and I were very seriously discussing haruspicy as a substitute.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Thirteen Orphans posted:

:lol: It was you and I. It was what really endeared you as a poster to me. I loved that conversation and it was really important as I went on trying to find my way around magisterial assent.

Aha! Yes! Here we go: Let's say I disagreed with the Church's teaching on divination

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

pidan posted:

I don't think you can get scientific evidence for metaphysics, or at least that's a common claim. But you can certainly get evidence of God in your personal life. Imagine you start believing and your life improves substantially. Of course there are atheistic explanations for that, ranging from "coincidence" to psychological explanations, but a person's experience can lead them to the conclusion that their faith is right.

There are compelling arguments for atheism, and there are compelling arguments for Christianity. Which ones you choose to allow to persuade you, or whether you look for a third alternative, mostly depends on your individual preferences, values and needs.

I would say that it's by definition impossible to get scientific evidence for metaphysics. Yes, Aristotle's 'Metaphysics' just meant "the one that comes after the book Physics", but in common usage it means the study of first principles. For example: I could say that I can prove that sodium reacts explosively with water by throwing some pure sodium into pure water.* I would be able to prove this to you because you and I both accept that effects have causes. If instead one of us believed that every time any effect happened, God chose that specific effect, I couldn't prove that the sodium had caused fire to leap out of the water. If you believed that you were asleep, or in the Matrix, or that I were a hallucination, I couldn't convince you that a 'real' experiment would have the same results. Getting scientific evidence for anything requires believing that getting scientific evidence is possible.

So if I explain to you that (part of) the reason I believe in God is because effects have causes, you can't (reasonably) ask me to scientifically prove that effects have causes. If I tell you that I think the New Testament is trustworthy as a historical document, you can't (reasonably) ask me to scientifically prove that papyrus can survive seventeen centuries.

Sometimes scientific evidence can support a metaphysical argument; for example, if I said I had Mary's baby teeth preserved as a relic, it would be possible to prove that the relic was (or wasn't) actually human primary teeth, from a female human who lived sometime between 100 BCE and 100 CE. But it would be completely impossible to prove that the teeth were (or weren't) Mary's. If I said "this red thing used to be bread, but a scientist said it's now cardiac tissue"**, it would be possible to prove that the red thing is indeed now cardiac tissue, but not whether it used to be bread.

* When I was a sophomore in high school, the AP Chemistry class came to our chemistry class to demonstrate this. The result scorched the ceiling, because our teacher neither asked nor checked how large the piece of sodium was after it was removed from the jar of mineral oil...
** http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/polish-eucharistic-miracle-approved-by-bishop-amid-nations-1050th-anniversa

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

JcDent posted:

Found it through reddit and chinese gamers studiously recording every tech quote in Civ VI:

"Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or exciting our sense of wonder"

Veridical, adj. "Pertaining to an experience, perception, or interpretation that accurately represents reality; as opposed to imaginative, unsubstantiated, illusory, or delusory."

"Claims that cannot be tested are worthless in terms of representing reality." Really? Okay, no big bang HORRENDOUS SPACE KABLOOIE, then? No "I, Goon, take you, Goonetta, as my lawfully wedded wife..."? No "I think that painting is really pretty"? What?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

"i know that my vindicator lives and that one day he will stand up upon the earth. even though my skin will be stripped away, in my raw flesh i will see god"

job knows that everything is hosed up, god agrees with him (and his response is "deal") and he still doesn't give up. everything that arsenic lupin said is true, but job still does not give up.

also if god is/emanates the universe, the whole thing starts making a lot more sense. likewise isaiah 45:7

It was fascinating to me to learn that, while obviously this isn't how the verse is normally read, Job 42:6 can be read as saying either "Therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes," or something more like, "Therefore I recant, and turn away from dust and ashes," right after Job has just told God, "I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you." He's satisfied by God's explanation, but does he see his previous anger as reprehensible and himself as needing repentance, or does he see his previous anger as simply incorrect, and so he is going to stop sitting in ashes? I mean, I don't know how comforting it is to say, "It's okay to be pissed at God when stuff goes wrong, but when you see God face to face, you won't even be angry anymore," but it's a perspective shift. (Searching for Job 42:6 + recant, because I can't remember where I read that, comes up with someone who translates it as "Therefore, I recant and relent, being but dust and ashes," as an explicit parallel to Abram saying, “Let me take it upon myself to speak to the Lord, I who am but dust and ashes." It's not implausible that either the author of Job was inspired to make that parallel or the author of Job had simply read the book of Genesis and remembered the phrase.)

So it isn't simply a question of "How do you not hate this passage?", it's also, "How do you read this passage?" Whether you see God as like humanity, but more so, or as fundamentally unlike the created universe, or as the created universe changes what you expect of God: if God is "basically my grandfather except entirely good and without any restrictions", it's not unrealistic to wonder "then why is my grandfather less cruel?" (even if that still might not be a question that has a satisfying answer), but if God is existence, the source of all existence, Justice Itself, Job's sudden shift from "this sucks and you suck" to "and now I repent" is a little less incomprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

thechosenone posted:

This is probably not something I shouldn't bother people about, but if god is the person who makes the rules, did they make them so because they wanted to, or because they had to? Not wondering why, but if they just wanted to do things the way they are, or if they didn't. One would imply an arbitrary nature to gods judgement, and the other would necessitate something beyond even gods power.

I mean, you can say you don't know the answer, but it is a dichotomy, and either would be contradictory to things that seem to be thought of as necessary as aspects of god: ultimate power, and the idea that god ain't just fuckin around. Even if it were both, it would still be a problem for each of those by themselves. I also don't see how something being beyond our understanding would make it so it doesn't want to do anything, yet would want to do something.

I guess this is just a rehash of that old thing by plato or something, though I think the wording is distinct.

Its not like god being arbitrary is necessarily antithetical to it being the god you have to worship. Just means it don't feel as good doing so. More like doing what god says because you have to, rather than doing it because you think it is good.

It's a great question, but it's hard to answer. Socrates could stump Euthyphro with "do the gods love good deeds because they are good, or are good deeds good because the gods love them?" at least in part because the Greek gods did not all agree on what was pleasing to them. The traditional Aristotelian answer is "neither", though. A law is good if it fulfills the purpose of laws more fully, if it has as little missed potential as possible. An action is good if it fulfills the actor's nature, bad if it doesn't. (That's why building the Hoover Dam or wearing glasses is a natural act for people, but drinking to unconsciousness is not, even though animals get drunk but don't build concrete dams or correct their vision.) God wants his creations to fulfill their natures, so the actions he commands are good because they're good for us, not because he thinks they're neato or because he's relying on an external standard. He is the source of our natures, the reason why we can fulfill any potential, so he is also the source of our actions' goodness.

• Locked thread