Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

wait, ceciltron, where are you from

Quebec. We're old-school french catholics. No sedevecantists or traditionalist movements afaik though. I could do an effortpost on the religious history of the province in the last 400 years, given the fact the place was more puritanically catholic than ireland until the 60s, if anyone wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Time for midnight masses! Throw open the doors! Let light and love pour forth! (Post ur church)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

my dad posted:

This is the main catholic church in Novi Sad (everyone calls it "the cathedral" because of how it looks even though it's not actually the seat of a bishop)

That sweet sweet spire roof omg

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
If I remember correctly, the ancient greek (and to some extent the roman) pagans believed their gods did not have blood, but rather ichor, a purplish thick substance that was not blood in their bodies.

The emphasis christ had blood might serve to delegitimise those traditions, though I'm just guessing here.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I think there's a credible argument to be made that an impulse towards spirituality - if not religion per se - is baked into the human psyche.

The idea of a basic impulse towards God and Good is more or less the foundation of Catholic catechism.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Worthleast posted:

Shut up and look at this church.

Clermont is near a volcano.

:black101:

:swoon:

Words fail me.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Is it still bad to kind of have these weird moments of fantasizing where Crusades represent both war and eternal salvation? Asking for a friend.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
God speaks latin, you silly billies.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Mr Enderby posted:

Death of the author, fool.

Breath of the author (coffee and cigarettes are nasty- brush your teeth!)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
History owns, especially the parts where dudes wearing leather skirts led by men in white dresses conquered most of Europe and a hefty chunk of Africa and Asia.

Then.....the pants peoples came.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

excuse me, i said our hats were bigger. did i loving stutter

Big hat is good hat, but I can't get behind how dang beardy the orthodox clergy get.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

so go hang out with some gerontisses then

But greek grandmothers are the beardiest of all!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I LIKE COOKIE's particular heresy upsets me.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

while that is cool, have you considered some of these fine representatives of Orthodoxy, who metaphorically punched actual real life nazis in their words and deeds:
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Alexander_Schmorell
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Maria_(Skobtsova)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Gorazd_(Pavlik)_of_Prague

Why is there a japanese dude in there, he doesn't strike me as orthodox.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

read the link. chiune sugihara, righteous among nations. he helped save over five thousand jews from the holocaust and was eastern orthodox

I read the link. No mention of orthodoxy. Just one mention of him joining a christian fraternity to study english.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I need to consider the religious ramifications of name choice for my eventual kids. Charlemagne and Ignatius just don't seem to roll off the tongue terribly easily.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Caufman posted:

Whale road as a kenning for the sea is about as good as language has gotten.

Wave-road, I thought. From beowulf, right?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the fact that many of them no longer work culturally or linguistically is just more proof that french is a degenerate influence, you see

Shut your filthy, filthy mouth. The Franco-Gallic cultures have been trying to civilize the inbred island barbarians of the north for nigh on a thousand years now. It's not our fault you guys love bad food and dress.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Bel_Canto posted:

gently caress yes

thank you everyone: it'll be a couple years yet before i'd even be able to enter, so i have some time to figure out whether this is my calling. i know the jesuits themselves have no problem with it institutionally (and in fact are the only major religious order who don't have a significant institutional problem with admitting men who are openly gay), but as people have said, the issue would be that yeah there are some very conservative young novices entering, and mostly i don't want to be the whipping boy for some snot-nosed 22-year-old's prejudices. hopefully a couple more years of prayer and spiritual direction will clear up my path.

The world needs more jesuits, and I'm certain your theoretical 22 year old opponent will find himself sorely outclassed on the jesuit field of battle: debate.
If God wills it, you'll know, so best of luck!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Not even the prophets of old claimed to talk to God (and get an answer) as much as you do.

my dad posted:

Please get professional help.

Really, really this.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Why would a therapist try and suppress me? Is that what mental health is about in this country? Suppression? I do not agree with that. We should encourage those with unusual brains to flourish.

I don't need someone to tell me something is wrong with me. Don't get me wrong, therapists can be an amazing tool when you're down and out and have nobody else to talk to. Luckily for me, I have tons of people to talk to. And I don't have to pay money for it, either.

If I'm happy with my life, my job, my friends, my family, and God, what would I tell a therapist? I'm drawing a blank

If at any time my words harm you, please let me know. I'm just trying to do right by God.

Edit: oops I got a little worked up there, I apologize for my tone. Its just that I feel really strongly about Mental Heath, for obvious reasons. Lol

You are not mentally healthy. For the love of God, pay attention to what everyone has been trying to subtly or perhaps less than subtly say: God is not talking to you. You are looking for connections so hard, and your grasp of reality is sufficiently tenuous, that you claim contact with the divine through faulty electronics. This isn't charming or fun, it's creepy and terrifying.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

:(

What is terrifying about it? I'm genuinely curious because I can't see any reason to be terrified

There's a first for everything!
I know you believe that.

It is terrifying because it is a question of the connections you are making between your playlist fuckups. All it takes is a bad day and some bad musical choices for you to decide that God has told you to Let The Bodies Hit The Floor /In Reno, Just/ Want To Have Fun. If I knew the guy next to me on the bus was urgently shuffling through his mp3 player list to find secret messages from God, I would get the gently caress off the bus.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

i thought i would get the Exsurge when i googled "prayers against demons," i didn't know i was loading up a trip to loving crazytown:
http://www.bible-knowledge.com/prayer-legal-rights/

what jurisdiction would you even file the suit in?
Third Plane of Hell.

Well first, the problem is that demons are chaotic evil, so they don't follow laws -it's devils that are Lawful Evil and fight in court.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

CountFosco posted:

I'm not sure that can really be an icon, given it's blatant characterization of the father?

I'm not sure if I'm more disturbed by the violation of this stricture, or by the father's odd haircut.

Dunno, looks like god to me. I see God every time I shoot heroin into my eyeballs and he looks just like that.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

System Metternich posted:

Latin is important, everybody! :v:

Heresy, as easy as a diphthong.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
We have to remember that, in the most basic sense, Saints are those we are certain are in Heaven. I think it's really presumptuous to assume that anyone who Did A Violence cannot go to Heaven, or that we know better than the Church in these matters.

Soldiers and generals can be good and holy, just as they can be vile and wicked. Ours is not to judge.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Protsplaining. Luthersplaining. Tradsplaining. Hamsplaining. We need more 'splainy words

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Bel_Canto posted:

i have definitely used "protsplaining" before

Definitely a good word then.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

there's a passage in acts where the apostles have the community pool together their money and they distribute it to each according to their specific needs

Yeah, they gathered everything they had among them and divided the things to each as they needed them. Marx/Engels knew exactly what they were writing.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

i never quote the bible if i can't help it

An odd thing to write in a thread about liturgical christianity, certainly.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I need to remember to go to Saturday mass because I work 9-5 sundays now.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Consider my loins girded and tempers in check.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Bel_Canto posted:

You're thinking of O God Beyond All Praising. There's another called O Merciful Redeemer that I like even more.

Man i love when we do O God Beyond All Praising.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Here's a question for Lent:

Are snails meat or fish, for the purposes of abstaining from meat while fasting? If I were to crack open a can of snails and eat that on toast, would I be breaking my fast?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, there was this theory held by some people in the early modern that all diseases began with the teeth. Its most prominent proponent just happened to be the personal physician of Louis XIV, and, well,

Poor guy must have stunk like hell from the mouth. Also because he didn't have any teeth and refused to get wooden replacements as well, he had to eat all food without chewing, which again led to horrible indigestion. Which is interesting, because both his predecessors and his successors generally paid attention to their oral and dental hygiene. Napoleon Bonaparte even had some toothpicks made of gold in his possession, lol.

Gold makes sense, given that it doesn't rust or tarnish and is fairly malleable and warm. I imagine rose gold with a bit of copper in it might have decent antibacterial properties, as well!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

oh yeah why not write in super complex Latin prose then

Caesar's prose is actually comparatively simple and clear :hist101:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I got 5 on 10, I blame malnutrition from lenten fasting. (Just kidding I'm actually pleased with the result).

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

cats have been less selectively bred than dogs, at least

before people invented glass windows you could shut, nobody really "owned" a cat, man

If you think of it, cats have always owned us, really, dude.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

agnostics are cowards because they won't fight me in a hell in a cell match at wrestlemania

Tag team, no disqualifications, tapout only. Someone book this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Say Cao Cao's name and Cao Cao shall appear.

I can't read Cao Cao as anything but "gently caress gently caress" since I learned basic Rude Mandarin.

• Locked thread