Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
While I'm biased towards materialism and against spiritual revelation for obvious reasons, consider how hard it is to find common cultural ground now, and then imagine what it would be like in a society that emphasized incommunicable personal experiences and still had the same political and social divisions that we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's nothing inconsistent about picking sides between incompatible ideologies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

All atheists are secretly animists, we just describe it in the driest, most boring terms possible so people won't suspect.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I've been called out for trying to understand Catholicism via its rules and legalism, which was kind of bewildering to me because that's the part I liked. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Suffering adapts you to suffering. What that means depends intensely on what kind of person you already were and what sort of social environment you suffered in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

studies of rich people show the opposite, actually. the further you are from the strufgles of "common people" the harder it is to empathize with them

I don't see how that contradicts what I said at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tias posted:

I doubt he'd be so passionate about spreading the gospel to the world, if he was just a run of the mill narcissist

I have no horse in this race in particular, but in general: really? You don't see the appeal there, or the potential comparisons to hucksters and false prophets the world over?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My point isn't to cast aspersions on Paul or on Christ, only that there are lots of scams that benefit from widespread recruitment. If I remember correctly the CCC even makes the point that you can't reason your way to Christ's authenticity, only to the existence of God in general.

e: or, given how Christianity tends to lean in pretty hard on the "God can and does make good out of evil," thing, that a fraud couldn't spread a divinely inspired message. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 31, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

You should go. If it's a big enough Mass it will stay put.

I love this thread. I do enjoy the insight into other peoples' worldviews it offers, but to be honest I've pretty much exhausted the particular source of curiosity that initially led me here.

I stay for the puns.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Apparently there's a robot that prays the rosary (or at least goes through the motions): https://apnews.com/af04ff85edf54d7a9b7a047c9abb0218/exhibition-charts-500-years-evolution-robots

The article isn't clear whether it was a 15th century automaton of a monk, or an automaton of a 15th century monk, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CountFosco posted:

It's certainly possible that there were times in history where joining a monastic order would've been a path for ducking out of work, but those ages do seem far past.

i'd imagine it's less "ducking out of work" and more "doing a shitload of work but also getting access to a shitload of alcohol"

IANAMedievalist though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

He's saying that having the correct conception of marriage is more important than having the correct conception of who you're going to marry. Or put another way, changing the meaning of "marriage" as a sacred institution into something incompatible with God's plan is way worse than a personal delusion about who you're going to marry.

I find his position vile on its merits, but it makes perfect sense.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mr Enderby posted:

But so-called "honesty" is normally just another type of hypocrisy. Like the man who tries to say he's "got a weakness for beautiful women," which translates as serially unfaithful and probably a rapist. Or person who will own up to loving money, when really they just hate other humans. Or when someone freely admits to having a temper, when in reality they enjoy the ability to hurt those around them and cause destruction, then write it off as a temporary loss of control. The only way to honestly admit sins is by being truly repentant. If you are proud of your actions, then by definition you don't believe they are sinful.

This doesn't really check out. Honesty and having an admirable (or just compatible) moral stance with someone else aren't the same thing. If I say "I am a murderer" but I care nothing for the value of human life and am simply stating a legal or practical fact, I'm being honest, and my lack of concern is a moral failing but that moral failing isn't dishonesty, specifically.

Equivocation like "having a weakness for beautful women" is hypocritical but it's also just not honest -- because it indicates a double consciousness, a need to hide something out of guilt or shame, to ameliorate what you're saying by using words that lessen the impact or personal responsibility in what you're saying.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or put another way, the real heart of the question is whether you find something admirable about the character and conduct of a completely unrepentant, honest, and unencumbered monster. And, weirdly enough, I think I do -- but for utilitarian reasons. A truly unrepentant monster is easy to spot and easy to prosecute, so their honesty is a social good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

meanwhile trad catholic twitter spent half of yesterday accusing each other of gnosticism

how can you in good conscience say this and not share

• Locked thread