Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hello Christian goons! This is an excellent thread. I am a lapsed Jew, and I have a bunch of questions. I'll start with the simplest.

Regarding the Trinity, "Father" and "Son" is pretty self explanatory, but what is "Holy Spirit" supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Pellisworth posted:

SirPhoebos posted:

Regarding the Trinity, "Father" and "Son" is pretty self explanatory, but what is "Holy Spirit" supposed to be and from whom does it proceed?
You forgot an important part of your question, I've fixed it for you. *thread schisms* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filioque

Okay, that bit went over my head. Can you elaborate?

Besides that, thanks for answering my first question. My next ones are about the New Testament.

How come there are four Books of the Apostles when they broadly cover the same events (by which I mean the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus)? Is there anything that distinguishes one book from the other, so that if by some miracle a whole new verse was uncovered a biblical scholar could reasonably say "that belongs in Such-and-Such"? Is there a specific order they should be read in?

Beyond those four and Revelations, what are the other books like "Romans" or "Letters" supposed to be about? Is there a hierarchy of what books are more authoritative or are they equally important?

EDIT: I read the link Pellisworth, and I think I get what the big deal is, but it seems like a minor cause for the 1054 schism as opposed to "don't see the Pope as our boss".
EDIT2: Okay, that's :thejoke:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 6, 2016

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bel_Canto posted:

The Gospels each have different emphases, and they don't need to be read in a particular order, although people usually advise reading the Matthew, Mark, and Luke first: they're called the Synoptic Gospels, because they take a pretty similar view of Christ: a man who did extraordinary things, claimed He was the Son of God, and then showed this to be true when He rose from the dead.

Can you elaborate on what the differences between Matthew, Mark, and Luke are?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Apocron posted:

Matthew: Probably the one you heard referred to as the the one targeted at the Jews. Goes into the story of Joseph and the genealogies involved in Jesus's conception at the start.

Wait back up: I know that the New Testament claimed that Jesus was Isildur's David's Heir, but are you saying that the Book of Mathew traces the lineage through Joseph of Aramathiah (sorry for spelling)?

Because...how does that work alongside Immaculate Conception and Virgin Birth? Or is this a case of "It's God, I don't have to explain poo poo"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Question to the Catholics (or any Christianity historian): How did the Catholic Church get so powerful during the Middle Ages? (by which I mean, say, 800's to the end of the 4th Crusade)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I know a bit about the Council of Nicea (thank you, Cartoon History of the Universe), but would like to know more details. Who attended the Council? How were doctrinal matters decided on? What happened to the books that weren't included in the New Testament? Why was the exact nature of Jesus' relation to God (the same or similar thing- I don't know the official name) so contentious?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Not to drag C-SPAM into this thread, but would anyone like to pick apart Jerry Falwell Jr's reply to his students upset that he supports the Orange Bastard?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Okay, this is kind of a deep question (and I suspect differs by denomination): was Christ's crucifixion pre-determined?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Worthleast posted:

*Inhales the blue pill*

Sweet, sweet Thomism.

Now this I find fascinating, because it really highlights the difference in how God is portrayed between the Old and New Testament. Compare it to the story of Jonah, where God basically railroads Jonah into doing what He wants.

Is there any explanation for this change in attitude, either in the Bible itself or by theologians in general.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

still uses 3d6 in order
most egregrious DMPC in history
game rules as physics

he's got a ways to go

Yay, though I walk through the Tomb of Horrors I fear no Sphere of Annihilation...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Phlegmatist posted:

Evangelicals love the Jews. Gotta rebuild the Temple to immanentize the eschaton, don'tcha know.

As a Jew I've never felt comfortable with this explanation for their support

:bahgawd: We love y'all Jews, really!

:jewish: You only love us so we can be Armaggeddon fodder.

It's the sort of 'friend' that encourages a recovering alcoholic to come drinking with them.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How many saints are there? Do saints have unique "domains" or is there overlap? Do non-Catholic and -Orthodox denominations recognize saints? How does one become a saint? I heard some people joking that Theo Epstein would be qualified because ending two historic title droughts could be interpreted as miracles.

And what's the deal with the Virgin Mary? (I say in my best Seinfeld voice) Obviously she isn't part of the Trinity-well not unless you count being a part of the Holy Spirit-but she (does Mary get capitalized pronouns like Jesus?) seems to hold a greater level of significance than any saint?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

JcDent posted:

I'm not happy that masturbation is still frowned upon. Sure, it's because sex is supposed o be an act between two loving people, but if the girlfriend doesn't mind and I sent her dick pics once or twice...

OTOH, the notion did lead to the very Catholic J.J.R. Tolkein to say that the Elves of Middle Earth never masturbate...and in turn led to one of the most wonderful posts in the history of Something Awful

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks for your answers. Two follow up questions.

First, how does a miracle get attributed to a specific saint or saint candidate?

Second, if a miracle requires a reputable scientist to examine it and give an official "idk", if later science advances and the examiner says "Oh so that's how it happened!" does that cancel the miracle?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Are miracles always health-related? Or can something like The Bloop be proclaimed to be a miraculous intervention?

EDIT: Also, what's the distinction between veneration and worship?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My favorite part of all these explanations is if you replaced Jesus with any other name I would swear you were talking about Mage: the Ascension or the mythology of the Elder Scrolls series.

I had no idea Christianity could be so weird, and I love it. :allears:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was named after a Viking scam artist :downs:

My Hebrew name is from one of the last Old Testament prophets.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have some questions about Jews for Jesus. Are they Christians that have adopted Jewish customs or Jews that acknowledge Jesus (or Jeshua ben Joseph) as the Messiah? Or a mix of both? How far up the Jesus tree do they go-is it just that He's the Messiah, that He's also Son of God, or do they go full "Trinity Same-and-Different-substance"? Or is it all an excuse to have two sets of holidays?

Sorry if the questions sound silly, but I had a high school friend that was a JfJ, and at the time I felt like it was trying to have one's cake and eat it too.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol if u dont multiclass

Depends on the edition tbf.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got a question for the historians: Why did Christianity come to be the dominant religion of the late Roman Empire while the superficially similar Judaism had only a small following?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Valiantman posted:

Not an actual historian but I'd say evangelising. Judaism doesn't really do that, Christianity has it built-in. Also God's guidance.

Can you explain how Christianity has evangelizing built in?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

well theres this little thing called "the great commission"

And what is that?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So how come there aren't any contemporary writings on Jesus' life? I may be overestimating the prevalence of literacy in the early Roman Empire, but I find it odd that none of His followers ever thought "hey maybe we should write some of these things down."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So if Satan isn't as prominent in the Bible as most people think, then who was tempting Jesus in the desert? Was that just Him personifying the internal debate He was having at the time?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

After reading this thread, I now slightly regret not playing through FFXIV: Heavansward looking like catboy Martin Luther

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Question for Catholics: What is the theological basis that gives Cardinals the power to elect a new Pope?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I don't know but it's producing some quality photoshops. But they only make sense if you come from those circles.

"Buchie" is short for Buchwald, a district president in the WELS. Ecclesiastical equivalent to a Roman archbishop I guess you could say.

The blog is kind of an alt-right haven for ex-pats of the various Lutheran synods in America. It's a lot of hate and sour grapes peppered with real concerns about universal objective justification (UOJ)

I'm the fat stormtrooper.

Since it's the season, tell me about the deeds of Saint Nicholas. The only things I've heard outside of Christmas jingles is from a dead Let's Play where I learned that he's associated with Norway and sea voyages.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Given the number of times this thread sidetracks into RPG talk, I'm curious if anyone has ever read this book about the 80's Satanic Panic: http://a.co/dLpQPuR

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tias posted:

Christianity Thread II: spirit of Vatican II my rear end.

Looking at the totality of Vatican II I can only conclude that it was a lot of political bargaining, which is why you get a lot progressive stuff (no longer blaming Jews for the death of Jesus) along with steps backward (Pope back to being infallible).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

If an athlete says in a post-game interview "I want to thank God for winning this game!" is that blasphemy?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Phlegmatist posted:

If you baptize somebody twice their sins are forgiven too much. There's an integer underflow and they immediately burst into flames and turn into Satan.

And Jesus ascended the mound, and He said to the people, "Hear my words children, for they are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

my dad posted:

Oh, I meant on SA, but thanks anyway. :)

It's on my "Some day I'm going to LP that thing if I ever start LP-ing things" list.

I remember someone trying to LP this game on these forums but it fizzled out. I participated a bit mainly so I could submit a joke name for one of the characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HevM-35hJUE

One detail I do remember is that our party's saint was determined at random, and we pulled Santa.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Found this post in a different thread but thought it was relevant here:

RandomFerret posted:

We only call Him 'Jesus Christ' because the New Testament was originally written in Greek. 'Iesous' is the closest approximation they had, and 'Christ' comes from the Greek word for messiah.

His real name was Yeshua ben Yosef. A more accurate modern translation would be 'Joshua Josephson.'

Or JoJo for short.

And yes, of course Jesus being a JoJo is canon in the actual series:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hello Christgoons, long time no read.

Can I get a recommendation for a biography on Emperor Constantine?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bel_Canto posted:

David Potter's Constantine the Emperor is probably where you want to go. Be warned that Potter likes details, and his prose can be a bit dry. But it's also not going to be historical fiction masquerading as biography, which is a severe risk with a figure like Constantine.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but why is it called "Good" Friday?

• Locked thread