Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

while looking for a soundtrack for a game i run, i found this loving thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gyxbBvmTY

What game do you run? Or on whom?

E: :ese:

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

To the lurkers, don't sweat the agnosticism. I've arrived as a practitioning asatrúar shaman who is also christian and into native american cosmology. I'll be happy to answer questions about the path or took or just faith in general!

HEY GAL posted:

there's also different kinds of thinking, for instance i think about abstract things or general things in terms of concrete or specific things, so in order to explain something when i write something i end up listing a billion examples

That's cool and good not really relevant because you haven't yet TOLD ME ABOUT YOUR GAME

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh, music time! Can't go wrong with 16 Horsepower, that guy believes some poo poo, no matter who you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d5QhkDsCnw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_vdlo2X2ug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-vpAn15-vE

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

Oh my goodness, thank you! Somebody showed me this band years ago and I totally forgot the name of them. I loved their sound and was never able to find them again. You just made my day.

I'm glad! Also, then you'll probably also be happy to know he started a new one called Wovenhand, which is pretty good and currently touring :eng101:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Why would we? I don't know what a dog temple is, and you should tell me/us about it :allears:

Tias
May 25, 2008

my dad posted:

I'm pretty sure you were reading the old thread when it was mentioned?

If I remember correctly, some missionaries ran into trouble because the locals saw religion as a sort of a contract, of the "I do a thing, deity does something in return" sort, and would temple-shop accordingly, resulting in many a frustrated missionary uttering "We lost another one to the dog temple"

I have the attention span of a goldfish and will( gasp!) skip posts!

Aw man, that sounds awesome. Perhaps God is more like a noble dogge than we suspect!

Tias
May 25, 2008

stereobreadsticks posted:

I've been lurking in the old thread for a while now and thought I'd say hi now that it's all fresh and new. I'm not at all religious, my Dad was theoretically Evangelical but never went to church and didn't care much one way or the other and my Mom is a very lapsed Catholic so I didn't have religion inculcated on me as a child, but since college I've been interested in religion in terms of aesthetics, narratives, and rituals. A couple years ago I read an anthropological study of Haitian Vodun, followed immediately by an abridged edition of the Golden Legend and I've been really interested in syncretism and folk Catholicism/Orthodoxy, as well as more official theological arguments ever since. The legends, mythology, and symbolism really appeal to me and I like the way that to various degrees both the traditions of the average people and the official Church authorities have created a really rich, interesting, and above all varied set of beliefs despite the monotheistic framework they're working in.

At any rate, I'm unlikely to actually join a church or adopt a theistic (especially not a monotheistic) outlook on the world but I'll be following the thread and I'll definitely jump in if anyone wants to talk about the lives of the Saints or related topics. Forgive my ignorance in those cases, as I said, I never had an actual religious education, I'm just an interested outsider.

Sup syncretic buddy! I'm into folk christianity and paganism at the same time. A lot of peoples through the time either disregarded the second commandment, or didn't think including their own faiths in it was breaking the stricture.

In my case (Denmark), people didn't stop worshipping their old gods for several hundreds years after their christianization, and I doubt I have to, if both faiths call to me.

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

Some of the more nationalist minded/metalheaded or whatever folks sometimes rumble about forced Christianization of Lithuania, even though it brought literacy and stuff to Lithuanian (first book in Lithuanian is a Catechism), helping Lithuanian-ness not slip into irrelevancy too soon.

The Poles knew what they were doing when they got baptized in the 900s. Inb4 Baltic Crusades, fuckers!

Yeah, fascist 'pagans' have a tendency to begrudge anything modern, sometimes conflating cause and effect - like fascists everywhere. I'd almost accept them co-opting paganism if it meant they would go back to dying of legionella and bubonic plague in pre-medieval huts.

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 22, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cythereal posted:

In the Evangelical view, questions of monotheism come down to a view of monolatrism - that there may very well be other gods, but God is a singular (well, triune if you want to get into the Holy Trinity) being above all others. The Evangelical view says that while other gods may exist, praying to them is a betrayal of your commitment to God. Incidentally, this same view is part of why Evangelical theology tends to frown on the concept of saints as intercessors - how could God be so busy he would need an advocate? God is above such petty limitations.

This is, essentially, why organized christianity isn't for me. Not content to accept my father in the sky as the only godlike intelligence, I also cannot place him above( or below) mother earth. Both things must be, and be equal, for the universe to be in harmony.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mo Tzu posted:

You know honestly having tried to be jodo shinshu and catholic I gotta say, sometimes religions just don't want to work well together. Still multiple religious belonging is a cool and good thing whether it's a cultural or individual phenomenon

I wholeheartedly agree. Being syncretic means finding out your personal truth, doctrinal impossibilities be damned. This was never a problem for us pagans, but I can imagine it must be an absolute shitshow if you start from dogmatic liturgigal christianity.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Ultimately, I decided I couldn't accept that view and stay emotionally healthy.

This is the alpha and omega for me. Why believe in anything, if it does not do you any good? If the desire to be intellectually right surpasses the need to engage with a loving, helpful God, then ones priorities are screwed up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the first problem here is the assertion that you can give God a defined, logical form with your human abilities. this is not an accurate description of Christian thought. the second problem is that you say God has a ding-dong. eww, gross, don't do that

I don't think I assert that. I've learned from the body of lore in my particular tradition that these are some of the aspects the father has, not them all or that they are particularly well defined.

Well, if you think that's gross, I hope you never learn the symbology of sweat lodges :iamafag:

it's a huge uterus, being fertilized by burning rock and there's an altar straight up representing the placenta outside

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

More generally, does anyone know the history of how it was decided that some sacraments (baptism and marriage) transcended denomination, and some didn't.

Do you know how these folk saints are venerated (worshiped)? Is it just the same as form of veneration as that done by lay people for recognised saints, or are there additional aspects?

Well, for one thing they take their puppets seriously. You have to have a large statue of SM around your house, and you need to change her dress often, and it has to be fly as all get out. Sowing dresses and embroidering them with gems and stuff is a major occupation in Mexico City.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Hmm, is it generally true across Europe that church isn't a big social affair with food and such? I guess that would surprise me.

At least in American Protestantism, church can easily take up half of your Sunday between Sunday School, the actual service, and fellowship (coffee and very often potluck lunch). The potluck wasn't necessarily totally free, sometimes you were asked to chip in a couple bucks but it was a very cheap meal. In fact I can't think of an American church service I've attended that hasn't been followed by lunch, and that includes the few Orthodox Divine Liturgies I went to at HEY GAL's church.

In the rural Midwest where I grew up, church was the major social gathering for most people, since that's about the only time you would see a lot of each other. That and school events, possibly family reunions because more than half your neighbors are your second cousins lol.

in Scandinavia it's made a kind of resurgence, because membership and attendance is dropping sharply. "Spaghetti services" for teens, for example, are everywhere and seen as integral to Danish protestantism.

Pellisworth posted:

In the rural Midwest where I grew up, church was the major social gathering for most people, since that's about the only time you would see a lot of each other. That and school events, possibly family reunions because more than half your neighbors are your second cousins lol.

Yeah, here church is mostly used for the major breaks in life( weddings, funerals, baptisms), only the elderly and dwindling numbers of new christians attend church social events.

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 23, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

If there was (medium-to-good) pasta after the service, I'd attend so much harder. I fukken love pasta.

I'm also kinda fat, so my AV can be misleading.

We're Danish, we don't do medium-to-good pasta

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

pasta by white people is all terrible

if you want to learn how to make good pasta i will teach you people

teach us

Tias
May 25, 2008

Caustic Soda posted:

Probably. My aunt lives out on the country, and at least back when she was in her 40'ies church was the one social event in the local village, so she attended even though she is (and was) an atheist. I doubt rural Denmark is as sparsely populated as the Midwest, though.

True enough. In rural Denmark the church is much, much stronger, though. Also where the "kooks" have their strongholds, JW, baptists and Inner Mission( a Pietist movement thing) are especially numerous out there.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Keromaru5 posted:

I don't know that it's possible to have a church too small for a potluck. The storefront OCA church I went to this last Sunday had one for its churchwarming, complete with a Byzantine church cake.

Can we see a picture of the church cake? :D

After the blót we throw up a three-legged bonfire pan and grill horse steaks, it owns

Tias
May 25, 2008

Holy poo poo, this: https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews/videos/1125274424229347/

CN: Satanist prayer.

I know most of you are not really worried about the church of Satan( nor is there any reason to be), but if you don't want to watch a guy spaz out while praying to Satan in a courtroom, well, that's what it is. For the rest of you, check it out, dude is really in the zone :allears:

Tias
May 25, 2008

At least here in Denmark, a monk or other bookworm would go from the monasteries and live in villages, both to oversee marriages and stuff, but also to teach catholic doctrine to those who lived there.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mo Tzu posted:

thanks for giving me a good idea on a new research topic; buddhist and christian peasant revolts, the ways in which religious ideology influences revolutionary action. i'll work on that after i write my essay comparing and contrasting the life and work of ignacio ellacuria and takagi kenmyo

420 go ikko ikki erry day :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is it gonna be quantitative or qualitative because i'd be very interested to know which religions and/or denominations revolt the most

Without knowing exact what definition, I would probably be most interested in knowing which religion/denom revolts the hardest :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I think I'm in the buddhist camp, actually. Few people actually carry the minerals to light themselves on fire to protest something!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ceciltron posted:

If I'm lucky, I can scrape enough money together to buy a bottle of wine or some rye and drink, at which point I will usually recite a few decades of the rosary, crawl into bed and pass out.

Just chiming in to say that drinking yourself to sleep is very unhealthy, and definitely not a good way to get anything but a false connection to the divine.

Getting clean and sober is what got me to feel and understand God in the first place, and if you think faith is wonderful drunk, try it without the juice :)

We have a whole addiction and recovery thread, where goons a lot more astray than you got sober and conscious of God! Feel free to peek in any time, we're there to help you.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

how many trinities can i get for this dvd copy of the animetrix

I was born with three kidneys, how many binaries does that get me :confused:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

What if each kidney flows into the next? What if two of the kidneys flow into the third kidney!?

I'm pretty sure this isn't how it goes, they all have their own little tube going down into the plumbing. While there will of course pass blood into a kidney that also has been in another kidney, I doubt it takes essential kidney-ness with them. Do we have to dig up the catholic canon for trinitarian organ energy transfers again? :(

Tias
May 25, 2008

I am going as a mad upholsterer for my towns fetish club halloween, and turn people into human furniture with a load of rope and bondage tape.

what

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

mad upholsterer lol

I'd be jealous, but then I remember that I have never any good Lithuanian erotic, and I have seen many lovely ones, so I'm guessing I'm not missing out.

I may or may not order a Polish herlmet, a Czech gasmask and a E. German NBC protection suit from a milsurp site, just because I can. I doubt it would be here for Halloween and I have no parties to go to.

EDIT:

Oh great, now I have the idea of wear pink women's lingerie under the NBC suit for some reason...

You know all that you need to do.

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

*Looks at population statistics*
Apparently we don't!

Aside from checking my posts for grammar mistakes before posting?

I was going to say dress up as a DDR chemical gimp zombie, but that works too!

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's hardly bringing a sword if he's not willing to budge on doctrine, but then, he is the pope and I guess people are expecting too much sometimes.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

b.) as a queer trans woman like what religion would even have me?

Norse paganism. Our king of the gods routinely cross-dressed, sang magic songs and most of the aesir got it on with giants and fathered horses and so on - not to compare transsexuality to banging animals, but our priesthood and congregations are often queer-friendly because our theology is.

Also, you can be a christian at the same time, as long as you don't consider the old covenant to be immutable law.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I don't really have any skin in the game, but I'm pretty sure you can be an ex-protestant catholic and not still think like a protestant. Humans undergo amazing paradigm transformations all the time, why should protestants be exempt.

Also, what does patristic nectar mean? Do I want to know :ohdear:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Bel_Canto posted:

Oh sure, they totally can, it just won't happen overnight. It's like integrating into a new country that speaks the same language as you, at least on the surface, but people use some words differently and look at the world in very different ways. The part where we get annoyed (and this happens with converts to many religions, not just Protestant-to-Catholic) is when they start getting their undies in a bunch about how none of the people around them are sufficiently Catholic because they don't read the Catechism for fun. Not only is this deeply uncharitable and skirting close to mortal sin, but the breathtaking arrogance required to be a newcomer and tell people who were born and raised in a religion and have practiced it most or all of their lives that they're doing it wrong really beggars belief. It's like coming to live in Britain and telling the residents that they need to be more like the cast of Downton Abbey. But at least, like HEY GAL said, we have big enough numbers that an rear end in a top hat convert isn't going to be made a bishop: instead they just congregate on CatholicAnswers and r/Catholicism to bitch about their insufficiently-orthodox RCIA instructors.

Okay, I get you. Kind of like how Charlotte was overdoing judaism after meeting Harry in season five.

Oh gods, how do I know this :gonk:

E: Can I just add that my favorite heresy is the Horus Heresy? :vomarine:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Netiher Tom Hanks nor Troy Polamalu do this, and they're both fine as far as I'm concerned.

Tom Hanks is definitely pants on head insane when it comes to sperging over details of his favorite things - thankfully for us all they largely entail portraying WW2 and not going full Luther!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Bel_Canto posted:

*The definition and scope of "inerrant" is one of the most hotly-contested points in the entirety of Christian theology, particularly among American Protestants, whose views range from "the core message is holy but you have to throw out a lot" to "every word and comma of the King James Bible is completely true and without any error whatsoever, please come visit the Creation Science Museum."

This is interesting, are there non-crackpot versions of the bible being the inerrant word of God?

Another question regarding biblical law: Do protestants regard the old covenant as important, and does this include the ten commandments?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my dad served a church for a little while that had a lot of native american parishioners and he would call me on the phone nerding out because he did a service or a wedding with some native stuff mixed in with the more traditional european bits :)

Tell us about it! :allears:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

The church I was baptized in (and spent most of my youth attending) was an Episcopal church with mostly Lakota parishioners. It wasn't really that different, there were a few Native American cultural influences but there's a high degree of syncretism with traditional beliefs. There are a ton of very traditional Lakota who participate in literal blood sacrifice (Sun Dance) that are also Catholic.

Handshakes are a super important gesture of greeting, friendship, and peace in Lakota culture so Passing of the Peace was a big deal. Loose handshakes, you won't offend by being firm but it's a symbol of friendship and not a contest of strength or whatever.

After church potlucks were maybe even more important since communal meals and taking home leftovers (wateca) is hugely important for the Lakota. Everyone went down to the basement for coffee and donuts and then in an hour or so, chipped in a dollar per person for lunch. Fairly often we'd have traditional frybread and wojape which is sort of a berry pudding.

e: wateca is one of the few Lakota words my parents will regularly use. It's a central part of Lakota culture, when you hold an event (dance, powwow, graduation, celebration, whatever) there is always way more food than necessary with the intention everyone takes home leftovers. The strongest gesture of prestige and influence for a tribal leader is to hold generous feasts and events and give a shitload of food to the community in wateca.

This owns, never stop nativepostin' <3

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

When you next hang with your shaman dude, shake his hand loosely but enthusiastically and if there's food make sure there's extra for him to take home, tell him it's wateca (wah-TEH-chah, ch as in church). Giving gifts is the highest honor in Lakota culture, giving people food and other gifts makes you a radder dude. It's a very cool and imo pretty Christian outlook on charity (not to appropriate native culture, just pointing out similarities).

I'm really not any sort of expert on Native American culture, I can only comment as an outsider who attended tribal schools through middle school and have some connections on the rez. If people are seriously interested I can get you in touch with tribal academics and artists but I'd rather do that via PM because it's gonna be very easy to doxx me from that. (HEY GAL can probably expect a small bit of Lakota artwork for Christmas because I know her irl)

He's only had Lakota training IIRC, he's half blackfoot apache and half mexican, but thanks! - which leads to some pretty eclectic teachings, he both does chalupa, sweats, flower ceremonies and peyote healing.

Cool! I'd love to learn more, though I'm not an academic and only learning for myself.

Tias
May 25, 2008

The Phlegmatist posted:

Please, baptismal regeneration is just works-righteousness. You guys are barely even Protestant.

Do you even post theses bro

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'm a misogynistic firebrand confessional Lutheran, AMA

Why be a firebrand when you joined the reformed church? Not( completely :iamafag: ) trolling here, hellfire preachers is something I associate more with baptism, 2x2s and stuff like that.

Also, do you handle snakes or speak in tongues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

what's your policy on international stuff? me, metternich, jcdent, pidan, paladinus, my dad, etc

Also, your policy for risking someone sending a full-size dane axe in the mail, tia

• Locked thread