Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Currently building a Dwarf Cleric philosopher of Oghma for an all caster party. That's relevant right? This is the D&D thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Also, after presenting my spiritual autobiography to my discernment committee for holy orders, a member said, "I have a lot of questions, but I need more time to think about it," which is terrifying.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

which order are you trying to :rolldice: in

Priesthood in the Episcopal Church, Los Angeles Diocese :catholic:

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Wasn't there an episode of Hardcore History about that?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

this is a huuuuuge problem in the orthodox church in the us because there are so few of us that the ex-protestants who don't stop thinking like protestants (usually very conservative evangelicals or calvinists) can have an outsize effect.
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Josiah_Trenham

What do we know about this guy other than a strictly chronological account of his life? He is in my neck of the woods. REC and PCA ordinations screams crazy pants to me. Someone recommended ancient faith radio to me and I can't for the life of me remember who it was. I feel like it had to be someone in the ACNA.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Bel_Canto posted:

...do you think this might perhaps be related to the fact that apologetics circles are occupied overwhelmingly by formerly-Protestant converts?

Apologetics seems to exist mostly among inerrantists. Yes? Doesn't seem like something that concerns those of higher liturgical traditions.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

zonohedron posted:

Catholics have long had an apologetics tradition; it's not strictly a convert thing. On the other hand, the counterexample I was going to use was apparently a convert from Presbyterianism at the age of 16! (Frank Sheed - he did apologetics in the 1920s through the 1970s.)

That's very true! Would I be more accurate to say that current apologetics, the kind that is interested in proving God through shoddy science, is more intended to defend inerrant creation stories? It doesn't seem to me to be in the same vein as a philosophical apologetic.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I want to take a crack at these questions but it will have to wait until after work. Til then, baited breath.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Having said that, it's pretty well accepted that the Gospels also had particular audiences in mind.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Re: Holy Spirit

I was just reading a book on the doctrine of creation by Veli-Matti Karkkainen who describes the Spirit, in part, as the animating force in the universe. The Spirit is the person of the Trinity who infinitely collaborates with every finite event across time and space.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Where, when, and how is Christ present in the liturgy?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Ideally it should equalize us all, too. Never met someone who wasn't an rear end hole, at some point, to someone. Sin, our evil impulse, what Francis Spuford calls the Human Propensity to gently caress Things Up, seems to me to be true to human experience everywhere. Now, the degree to which we push that idea, total depravity and all that, seems too heavy handed.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay, this is kind of a deep question (and I suspect differs by denomination): was Christ's crucifixion pre-determined?

Enter post-foundational free-will individualistic American version (aka, no church I know of believes this but I like it so F the man!): Upon creating something that was not-God, God always intended to move that thing closer to communion with God: Hence, the incarnation of God in humanity. But, given sin, it was always going to happen that when God entered the world, humanity would kill God. The death of Christ was not so much pre-determined as a stand alone event, but was inevitable given God's desire for the world and the world's rejection of God.

My more process inclinations would say something about it being the fulfillment of a divine promise made after the Flood. I reckon it would go like this: After the Flood, God regrets killing everyone. God hangs a bow in the sky-- key here is that there isn't a separate word for rainbow, so we read it as an archer's bow hung in the sky, pointing at God. If things ever get so bad again, God promised to fire the divine weapon at God's self. In Jesus, God owns up to that promise. Taking the first scheme, I just realized I might be willing to say the Flood was the Father's attempt to thwart the Son's destiny and save him from the cross. Maybe.

Heresy for everyone!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

It's also a pre-enlightenment text. You can't expect rational step-by-step proofs explaining why humility is a virtue. It's taken for granted that humility is a virtue. It's not the job of the text to convince you of that.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

The beauty of postmodernity is that we can hold to tradition and still buy into PROCESS THEOLOGY :rms:

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Public service announcement for any Los Angeles Episcopal liturgoons. You can see videos from our Bishop candidates here: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC7fG2HgbT_s1c7Jm-fXrXNw

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

The Phlegmatist posted:

wait so does the laity get to vote on the bishop? the anglican/episcopalian polity continues to amaze me.

Some! Each parish sends a delegation to the convention. Most of that is lay people (by most I mean three of our five, for example). All the delegations from the diocesan churches will vote for the Bishop, so the laity have about half the votes at the end of the day I think. Will update that is someone tells me otherwise.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Re: Life and doubt.

I'm an atheist for at least a couple hours a day. The struggle is real. All of the advice to pray is spot on, I think. And, it's always been the experience of God's people to wrestle with this. Brueggemann's Praying the Psalms is a good resource for understanding the way doubt and complaint can shape life through incorporating the psalms in prayer.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Discipleship programs is something I an interested in crowd source thoughts for! My discernment committee asked me something like, "How would the church be better with you working here?" It was specifically about my ministry formation year, and what I would do were I given leave to change things around a bit.

My immediate answer was more classes about churchy stuff-- icons, Mary, Bible study, liturgy, Greek, etc. And some fine arts stuff. We have icons, we cross ourselves, we say the Angelus, but no one knows why. They do it because they are dutiful and they trust the church (she is trustworthy) but the committee seemed to really receive that idea well.

So, you know, I'm thinking more about what I would do. Formation. What's in a formation program in a local parish? I can teach things, or find teachers, but that seems really one sided. Thoughts?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

You will know a theology by its fruits.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I will be able to teach a few adult ed classes at my local Episcopal parish in the coming year. If you were given the choice to teach/learn something at church, what would it be? and how would you structure it?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

One time at Christian camp they were having kids write bible verse citations on white cards and taking selfies with the hashtag for the camp. I of course, being the noble leader that I am, let my kiddos write the reference for the horse cock verse on their cards and post the photos. When I saw all the photos in a slide show on the jumbo tron I thought for sure we were going to get the boot. No one said anything. TL;DR Episcopalians really don't know their Bibles that well, the jokes are true.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

WerrWaaa posted:

One time at Christian camp...

Everyone finish this sentence.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

my dream in life is obsidian to make a reboot

i got super drunk with a bunch of catholics and got into a carol singoff with an anglican choir in the bar :beerpal:

Griffons of Kinsale?! No one responded when I asked about stares you bastards!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

The odds! Same thing happened after evensong here is LA the other day. Note: I'm from Indiana, so further coincidence!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Midnight mass way lit af, goons. 'Cept the acolytes (read: me) were rooking it hard. Few people noticed though so I probably won't catch poo poo for it next week.

Blessings to you all! For the second time, the Tree of Life has been firmly planted on Earth!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Los Angeles / Southern California Liturgigoons:

Any interest in a goon meetup to check out some of the very cool local churches? HEY GAL is through town every once in a while and we've been talking about checking out Armenian and Ethiopian liturgies, plus it's always good to make new friends :angel:

If you're interested but don't feel like posting your location in the thread feel free to PM me!

Reporting in!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Y'all are really Christian.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Everett Fox translated the Torah that's highly recommended. Robert Alter has translations of prophets and stuff but I don't know if they are good, worth checking out. Anyone have opinions in them? I like the Common English Bible because profs from seminary were a part of the translating team, buy I'd always go to the NRSV and can also vouch for the Harper and Oxford study bibles.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Icon of shouldbesaint Godric please

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Does the devotion to self/others/God fall on a horse shoe graph where the truest service to self is serving others as God wills?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

https://citydesert.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/godric-3.jpg

There isn't much. That's just a couple from Google. :/

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

ITT crazy old hermits who could talk to snakes

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Scorsese was at my Alma mater this weekend talking about it and I didn't know in time to go. :(

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

The bond of one molecule to another is divinely ordered but not an expression of the love one molecule has for another.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I was just gifted a Leopoldo book and am excited to read it. Ellen Davis is also an excellent writer on the topic, see: Scripture and Agriculture.

As for death it's clearly a sticking point in the life of faith. We also have to recon with the billions of years of galactic upheaval before Earth, and the billions of dead ends in the evolutionary development of species, when we ask questions about the purpose of death in creation. Given that the Eden narrative is a religious fiction (not untrue! Just not fact), we have to assume that death is baked into creation. Jesus, as human, is an evolved animal, and therefore also Animal Prime. His death and resurrection are a microcosm of the death and life cycle of all creation, hence he can redeem all creation.

Re: molecular love, the system can be built by love and not require each individual element to express love. I think the phrase used that the bond is the evidence of the Creator's love hits the nail on the head. If God is love, and God's transcendence can be conceived of as God's infinite imminence, in-finitely present in all instances and moments, then I can say that love is present in all matter, whether or not molecules love each other.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

pidan posted:

I imagine protestant bdsm is discipline and abstinence.

Orgasm delay/denial would be right up that alley. Paddling, stocks, what have you. Very puritan. Lots of insults, "you're an awful sinner!"

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I wonder where BDSM and other kinks interact with Xtian morality-- is any of sinful? Does the more "abusive" stuff do something to degrade the imago dei in the partner?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Hi Gail. I'm working on it, too. Finally going to Compline tomorrow and I'm stoked!

Also welcome TedJameson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Compline at the cathedral last night was delightful! If you're in LA check it out!

• Locked thread