Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Smoking Crow posted:

you made it into an album, not an individual pic

So... Rome (which for some reason wears tattered clothes) is hiding under the Star-Spangled Banner while preparing to storm public schools, beat up the children/teachers with violence, pour holy water on them (probably making them Catholic in the process?) and finally giving out propaganda leaflets?

I wonder what the tree stands for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

pidan, you might want to take a look at this commentary (in German) on the part of Luke you posted. I'm not a theologian, so maybe it's actually bad or something, but to my layman's eyes it looked like a good explanation of the nuances hidden in the text

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Don't know whether you'll find anything about him there; he was a Free Republic (a far-right online board where old geezers have been bashing the Clintons and keeping their powder dry since 1998) regular who was known for his, er, unique writing style and a photo where he appears to roughly be the size of a gorilla. Try the Freep thread over in D&D, and there used to be a Twitter account too posting nothing but Dale Reed stuff

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I just wanted to direct your attention to this work of art I saw recently in one of my parish's churches:

It's part of a poster advertising this year's procession in honour of St Leonhard at a pilgrimage church not far away (I posted about this saint's cult and the specific church in the previous thread). It's so stylish, and Catholic, and Bavarian. It's perfect :allears:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

St Ambrose and the bees, St Corbinian and the bear (which made it into Pope Benedict's coat of arms), St Jerome and the lion, St Hubert and the stag. St Gertrude of Nivelles is the patron saint of those who are afraid of mice :v: there's many more

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

This papal trip is really cool and I'm actually looking forward to the 500 year anniversary next year, but what I decidedly didn't like was the horrible fanfic I read in one of Germany's most prestigious weeklies today about the Pope getting rid of transsubstantiation to reconcile the churches which was good because he abandoned this “medieval superstition“ but also bad because it gave Benedict the opportunity to declare himself antipope :shepface:

I also didn't like the title story in another weekly (written by a pastor's son) about Luther and his influence on German history that read like Catholics stopped existing or at least mattering with the Reformation. I'm German *and* Catholic, yes that works! :mad:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Happy 499th Reformation Day, Protestant goons! :) Today is a holiday in most Protestant states in Germany (but it nearly always falls into the holidays surrounding All Saints' Day in Bavaria, so whatever), but for the 500th anniversary next year all states have agreed to designate it a national holiday for 2017 only, which is a really neat gesture imo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my dad (my actual dad irl) is really excited about this, because he supports reconciliation between the two churches. even if it's just a gesture, it's still a really nice gesture

I totally agree, and I'm actually somewhat sad that my brother (who lives in Weimar atm, like 50m away from the Herderkirche where Luther gave sermons, Bach frequently played and where he had two of his children baptised and where Johann Gottfried Herder worked and lived for 30 years as pastor) probably will have moved away from there before October 2017 because you just know that they will party it up there! It's just that the upcoming anniversary apparently also gives rise to a certain sort of German-Protestant "chauvinism" which I thought had died off for good after WW2, where I'm suddenly reading lots of pieces about Luther and the Reformation which are pretty much propaganda. In those texts Protestantism apparently still defines itself through a decidely anti-Catholic lens, and the authors just can't help themselves to drop petty digs against Catholicism (just today I read about "the supposed grave of the supposed Peter" in Rome, which isn't just pointless dissing but also makes no sense at all :psyduck:) and act like you can only be a modern and proper German when you're Protestant or at least Protestant-influenced. Did you know that Luther invented modern human rights? Me neither :v: It's actually quite fascinating, because some of the stuff I've read during the last couple days (in highly renowned national papers, no less) almost reads like anti-Catholic pamphlets from 1870s Prussia. That might be a uniquely German thing though (and hopefully will have run its course soon), idk

But other than these weird guys suddenly popping up I'm pretty stoked for 2017 (and 2018 too, don't you worry Heygal ;)), especially the museum exhibitions will be a treat

Spacewolf posted:

Ya know, this is a really random question, but it's prompted by the volunteering I intermittently do with the red cross, the 4th anniversary of Sandy (and me being where Sandy hit), etc.

Liturgigoons (and others), how much does your church/denomination prepare for disaster/catastrophe? I'm not just talking "our parish hall is a shelter for the red cross", but "We do in fact have Plans prepared for if someone tries to blow up the diocesan chancery or otherwise decapitate us as an organization, and we could survive that"? (Actually, Orthodox and Catholic goons, that's a good question - are we screwed if someone blows up the diocesan chancery and takes out the records of, say, baptismal certificates not held by a parish?)

Not that I see such scenarios as likely or even probable, but events in, eg, Hong Kong make me wonder - how prepared would our faith communities really be for disasters, both natural and man-made? (Hong Kong comes up because I'm wondering what any of the liturgical denominations would do if the Chinese revoked one country two systems.)

(There's also the reality that preparing for unlikely man-made scenarios puts you in pretty good stead for the various natural disasters, too.)

That's an interesting question! I actually have no idea, though that might also be because natural disasters like earthquakes or hurricanes are more or less unheard of in (southern) Germany - the only possible disaster we have been facing throughout much of the last 65 years or so was the Cold War going hot with Germany as the frontline, and it's not like anything would have been left standing around here in this case, preparation or no

e: in honour of the upcoming 500 year anniversary of the Reformation, have this portrait of young Martin Luther sporting a giant neckbeard:

(that's when he was hiding at Wartburg Castle in 1521/22 under the pseudonym of "Junker Jörg" :ssh:)

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 31, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The thing is, both of these statements are kind of true. To a degree. Sort of. At the least, they are related to actual historical trends.

The first thing I quoted is easy, because the word "Protestant" pretty much says it all. It is a movement of people who were protesting about something. And the something that they were protesting was Catholicism, or at least parts of it. So when your founding myths and early thinkers often defined themselves as what they weren't, not just what they were, this colors how later generations think. And also I think it's important to point out that this is not solely a Protestant phenomenon. In every church you will find people hating on other churches. A saying I have often heard is that the Devil works hardest within the church, which I myself don't take literally, but it's something to keep in mind.

The human rights thing is a bit of a stretch to connect directly to Luther. However I think it is inaccurate to exclude him and other church reformers from Western history when it comes to the rights of common people. Many movements for human and civil rights can be traced back (at least partly) to the Reformation.

People being jerks about it is not good though, of course :v:

Oh, I totally agree, but see: you began your post with some qualifiers. The texts I'm ranting about don't tend to do that :v: (And there totally is a subsection of, say, Catholics, who still delight in calling Protestants dirty heretics, of course, but those rarely make it into prestigious national papers around here)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Don't worry, the rise of non-religious people in Western society means that a lot of newspaper editorials are equally tone-deaf and offensive whether you're Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu... :v:

Reading 2015 piece by John Gray about the radicalisation of New Atheism (a fascinating read btw which I can only recommend) made me think about the bolded part of your post. Gray claims that the teleological rationalism of the New Atheism movement is now confronted with a resurgence of religion and religiously-motivated politics throughout the world. Looking at the Western world, this obviously rings false; looking at church membership statistics would be enough to lay doubt on that notion (again, only concerning the Western world, seeing as, say, the Islamic revival is very much a thing). On the other hand I'm wondering: is it truly the case that Western society as a whole grows less religious? I suspect that this only really works when you a) see religiosity only through the lens of being a member of an established religious subgroup and b) don't account for the strong historical influence by (organised) religion on society and culture fading away. Things like this survey in the UK that says that

quote:

[E]ight out of 10 people polled agreed with the statement that “there are things in life that we simply cannot explain through science or any other means.”
Six out of 10 non-religious people also agreed with that statement.
A majority of people (59 per cent) said they believed in the existence of some kind of “spiritual being” while three in 10 defined God as a “universal life force”.
Only a quarter said they actively believed in angels, a smaller proportion than said they had faith in the existence of “spirits”.
The research also showed that almost a quarter of those polled had turned to tarot card readings and one in 20 had had their “aura” read or attempted healing with crystals.
But traditional approaches remain strong. While half the population do not believe that prayer can heal people, almost two in five do.
And just over half said they turned to prayer at least occasionally.

make me think that "religiosity", when seen as a belief in the supernatural, as vaguely defined as it may be, isn't actually going anywhere. Or is it? I'm not too sure on this subject, maybe one of you guys can tell me more about the future of belief in the Western world.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

:(

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What? That doesn't ring false at all. I can't speak for Europe or Latin America but US politics is intensely driven by religious concerns (and competing secular ones.)

Keep in mind also that it might have more to do with visibility than actual demographics. The religious right as a voting bloc might be disintegrating, but that just makes them louder.

When we're talking about visibility, then sure. I was more thinking about membership and affiliation statistics, and there the share of Christians in the US population dropped from 78.4% in 2007 to 70.6% in 2014. As far as I know this rather sharp decline can be found in most other "Western" countries.

cerror posted:

Just speculating on this, I was thinking it may have more to do with the effect of technological development on Western society than anything else. With the advent of things like affordable air travel, television, and more recently, the internet, it is becoming increasing easy to be isolated from one another. Maybe the diminishing role of community brought on by that has led to a reduction in religiosity as well (or at least, a decrease in more traditional forms of it). Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Edit: I'm dumb. It wouldn't be the technology, but rather substituting it for community. I think. Maybe.

That definitely is a factor, though as you said it's more that the communal aspect of religion is no longer needed or especially attractive in an age where I can chat with other people via social media literally all the time and everywhere, and where the need for belonging to a (clearly defined) social group gets more and more lost in an increasingly individualised society (just look at all other possible forms of community, like political parties, associations, volunteer fire brigades and even sport clubs* which all experience a serious decline in membership, at least in Germany). I always have to think of my grandma who told me that the advent of television in her village sometime in the 60s was utterly disruptive to the local community - "suddenly, nobody was outside anymore". Combine that with an increased mobility that slowly erodes traditional communities and you can clearly see how the local and communal aspect of religion ceases to draw people in all that much anymore. My question was more on whether the religiosity/religious faith, however defined, of your average Westerner really is declining, or if it's just showing in new forms and venues outside of traditional organised religion. I'm still not sure either way, though the cyclical nature of religiosity (both traditional and new) and my belief in God caring for His people give me hope that I'm in fact *not* sitting on a sinking ship (though even if it was sinking, it's a very cool&good ship and the water outside looks really cold, so I'd rather stay aboard anyway ;))

* though I have to add that at least concerning football/soccer in Germany, this is only half true: many clubs have so many children applicants that they can't possibly accept them all, but this goes mostly in the cities whereas the clubs in rural areas slowly die out. No idea how other sports fare in that regard. In this case this is probably more a symptom of Landflucht, i.e. the demographic shift from rural to urban settings.

Cythereal posted:

Well, I'm officially moving into a new city at the end of the week to start my new job. Time to start church shopping once again.

All the best! :hfive:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Visiting the cemetery yesterday got me wondering: around here, virtually every grave will have a small cavity or, uh, "vessel" full of water as part of it. It's mostly not holy water, as far as I'm aware, but just rainwater that's been gathering in there. It's traditional to sprinkle the graves with the water from it (normally three times), mostly with the fingers, though some of the receptacles will have a tiny aspergil too. Often people will make the sign of the cross with it too (though my grandma gently scolded me once for doing so because it was no holy water after all). Personally I suspect that the origin of this tradition was to ritually ease the pain of the souls trapped in purgatory (based on similar rituals in Germany that very likely had this as their origin), but I might well be mistaken. I know that at least in Vienna this is unheard of, but I'm not sure about the more rural regions of Austria. Do you guys know of that tradition as well?

Here you can see the receptacle at the grave of former German chancellor Ludwig Erhard (the heart-shaped thing)

And one of those "boxes" at my grandma's grave

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Hans Urs von Balthasar definitely, who in turn was very much inspired by the “nouvelle théologie“ of scholars like Henri de Lubac and Yves Congar. Hans Küng is also important, if only as a foil to official church doctrine in his more contentious points. Karl Barth is afaik *the* Protestant/Lutheran theologian of the 20th century.

...why are most of these guys Germans who pretty much grew up together?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Not to get into the discussion on if and how Mary can be considered "submitting" within Catholic doctrine, let me just list a couple of her titles real quick to weird out our Protestant friends itt: :v:

• Mary
  • Full of Grace
  • Mother of God
  • Ever-virgin
  • Most Blessed Virgin
  • Spouse of the Holy Spirit
  • Queen Conceived Without Original Sin
  • Queen Assumed into Heaven
  • Queen of Heaven
  • New Eve
  • Help of Christians
  • Star of the Sea
  • Cause of our Salvation
  • Most Holy
  • Most Pure
  • Immaculate
  • Mother of Victory
  • Queen of Peace
  • She Who Shows the Way
  • Throne of Wisdom
  • Mother of Mercy
  • Mother of Sorrows
  • Ark of the Covenant
  • Comfort of the Afflicted
  • Gate of Heaven
  • Health of the Sick
  • Morning Star
  • Mother of the Church
  • Mystical Rose
  • Our Lady of Charity
  • Our Lady of Compassion
  • Our Lady of Confidence
  • Our Lady of Good Success
  • Our Lady of Grace
  • Our Lady of Light
  • Our Lady of Peace
  • Our Lady of Prompt Succor
  • Our Lady of Providence
  • Our Lady of Ransom
  • Our Lady of Solitude
  • Queen of Apostles
  • Queen of Confessors
  • Queen of Families
  • Queen of Patriarchs
  • Queen of Prophets
  • Queen of Virgins
  • Queen of All Saints
  • Queen of Poland
  • Refuge of Sinners
  • Salvation of the People of Rome
  • Tower of David
  • Untier of Knots
  • Mother of Good Counsel
  • Mother Thrice Admirable
  • Life-giving Spring
  • The Queen Who is by the Right Side of the King
  • She Who has Faith
  • She Who Prostrates to Allah in Worship
  • She Who Bows Down to Allah in Worship
  • She Who Was Purified
  • She Who Is Chosen
  • Light
  • Mother of Light
  • She who fasts
  • She who never sinned
  • Ivory Tower
  • Golden Home
  • Salvation of the Sick
  • Chalice of the Spirit
  • She Who Treads Down on Snakes
  • Seat of Wisdom
  • Mirror of Justice
  • Temple of the Holy Spirit
  • Cause of Our Joy

Also she's the patroness of (amongst others)
  • airplance crews
  • bicyclists
  • blood donors
  • boatmen
  • clothworkers
  • coffeehouse keepers and owners
  • construction workers
  • cooks
  • coopers
  • crusaders
  • distillers
  • drapers
  • the Enlightenment
  • fishermen
  • fish dealers
  • goldsmiths
  • harness makers
  • lamp makers
  • monks
  • mothers
  • navigators
  • needle and pin makers
  • news sellers
  • nuns
  • potters
  • restaurateurs
  • ribbon makers
  • sailors
  • silk workers
  • silversmiths
  • tapestry workers
  • travellers
  • tilemakers
  • upholsterers
  • virgins
  • yachtsmen
  • a fuckton of places, dioceses and countries
  • several armies and navies all over the world
  • Europe
  • Mankind

I also put a couple of Islamic titles of her in the list, I didn't know that apparently their devotion to Mary was that pronounced as well!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

JcDent posted:

I hate kanji

Still weirded out that we're getting the same readings even when we're strangers living a Poland apart.

My grandma visited Italy back in the 50s and told me decades later how awestruck she was by the realisation that pre-Council the services both there and in Bavaria were exactly, 100% the same ("I was so happy to be Catholic in that moment!")

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I wish my church did bowling nights

e: actually playing pool would be even better, I haven't played in ages

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

well, the mixed native/french people being catholic makes a lot of sense

what would be really interesting is if Metternich recognizes the names of your catholic german-americans as being common catholic german names

It's all over the place. Bäcker (= Baker) is common throughout Germany, though the varieties “Böck“ and “Beck“ are more frequent in Bavaria/Austria, I believe. The names ending in -son and -sen are northern Germany/Scandinavian af. The -mann names are more western/northern German with the exception of Moosmann, which is mainly found in the southwest. No clearly Austro-Bavarian names (which are afaik the only names to be more or less consistently Catholic, though I only know little about Rhineland Catholic names), and the others are either from clearly Protestant or mixed-denomination areas

e: this is interesting since the Volga Germans came mostly from Bavaria, Baden, Hesse, the Palatinate and the Rhineland which as far as I can see doesn't exactly map to the names

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 8, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Paladinus posted:

There are organised Arian churches. And I don't mean Jehova Witnesses, but things like that:

http://www.arian-catholic.org/

It may not look like much, but they have parishes even in Russia.

Note also that the background on this website is stolen from the official site of the Holy See.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en.html

quote:

The true Universal Christian Church is Anglican. A simple fact is that although it is believed Jesus Christ travelled to different countries, there is powerful evidence that he spent most of his life in England (see Christ in Britain). After Jesus’ death, his uncle, St Joseph of Arimathea, returned to Glastonbury with St Simon and erected the first Christian church there (see First Christian Church in Britain). In fact there is no logical reason why the Universal Church should be run from Rome other than Rome being the centre of power and wealth during the time of the Roman Empire. Logic would suggest that there are two original Holy centres for Christianity in the world: Jerusalem in Palestine/Israel and Glastonbury in England; arguably Rome is a third centre due to centuries of prayer and worship that have been concentrated there. The Arian Catholic Church is the evolved form of the early Church and is the true Anglican, Global and true Universal (Catholic) Christian church, that is not tethered to Rome.

drat, not even heresies are safe from being appropriated by Anglos :argh:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

throw them both out and invite judas priest instead imo

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I need to get something off my chest: there's a Syrian kid in my little sister's kindergarten group who doesn't speak German yet ("except for either 'please' or 'no', I'm not sure" says my sister :v:) Today they were doing some sort of devotion, where a lit candle was passed from one child to the other, but the Syrian girl refused the candle. Apparently she almost panicked when the flame came to her. As my sister explained it: "She comes from a different country than Germany, a country where it burned and where there was war, that's why she was afraid of the candle". This sucks, and it also sucks that years of war coverage from Syria didn't hit me in the gut like this little story did, just because it concerns a girl I know :(

In unrelated news I'm underway to get drunk for the election night, what about you? :iamafag:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'll start a novena to St. Josemaria Escriva (whom I am sure this thread hates, tho) for ya.

An Opus Dei priest once gave me a pretty good recommendation for a burger joint, so I don't know how to feel

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I'm praying for you and for all of us, seeing as this election will have very tangible consequences all over the world.

This isn't a politics thread, really, but I wanted to tell those of you who will probably be hit hardest by a Trump presidency that you're especially in my thoughts. I wish I could do more :(

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

well i prayed to god for things to go well with this English guy i am seeing and now we agreed that we'll get married to get me out of the US so i am engaged now

it was me, i did this

Congratulations! :toot:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I am a big fan of Potato Germans myself.

"Herbel-Schmidt" is the most German surname possible and it's amazing that it can be found in Denmark of all places

Also a fan of "Dickes, Dürr" (= fat, skinny)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Traditionally the following combination of prayers is said for the dead around here:

Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done,
in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.

Hail Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is with thee;
blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

O Lord, give her eternal rest,
and may the Eternal Light shine for her.

Lord, let her rest in peace.
Amen.

I fear that she won't be the last. I pray for you all :(

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I read an insanely interesting article recently that touched on early modern attitudes towards and superstitions about suicide

quote:

Lutherans rejected the category of mortal sin. Distinguishing between greater and lesser sins was beside the point since all sin was the expression of human nature utterly corrupted by the fall and would result in damnation unless God forgave the sinner. The suicide died unrepentant in the act of sinning, so it was likely that he or she died an unjustified sinner outside the state of grace. Unlike the Catholic Church, however, the Lutheran Church made no definite pronouncements on the fate of believers to be able to be able to resist diabolical temptations to suicide, but Lutherans placed greater emphasis on the power of Satan. "I do not agree," Luther wrote, "that those who kill themselves are simply damned, for this reason, that they do not do it gladly, but are rather overpowered by the power of the devil, like one who is murdered in the woods by a robber." Describing suicides more as Satan's victims than willing accomplices, Luther held out the possibility that God had forgiven them and they might yet be saved. God's judgment in these matters was inscrutable. Luther did not want his lenient views on suicide to become public knowledge, however. "Common people should not be told [that suicides do not necessarily go to hell], so that Satan is not given the chance of causing a bloodbath, and I approve of the strict observance of those political ceremonies by which [the body] is dragged through the threshold, etc." Here Luther was endorsing the rites of desecration to which bodies of suicides were traditionally subjected by secular authorities (hence "political ceremonies"), but he viewed such measures as a means of deterrence rather than as a statement of the suicide's spiritual status. Lutherans did refuse to bury suicides in graveyards; however, they regarded funeral ceremonies an aid for the living rather than for the dead, who were beyond human help. Lutherans no longer consecrated cemeteries, a rite they abolished along with all other sacramentals. Therefore, exclusion from the graveyard did not constitute a denial of the "means of grace" as it did for Catholics; rather, it was an honor punishment and measure of church discipline.

So it used to be the Catholic position that suicide was giving in to diabolical temptation, whereas Lutherans believed that those commiting suicide were in fact possessed. In Catholic areas at least, people tried to combat suicidal urges by religious means:

quote:

After the Catholic miller "S. A." from Hilpoltstein in Bavaria unsuccessfully tried to cut the throat of his five-year-old son in 1724 [the article is actually about "suicides by proxy", i.e. suicidal people murdering others, mostly children and often their own, in the hope of being executed], he was cured of his mental distress by going on a pilgrimage to the nearby Jesuit shrine of Heilig Kreuz in Bergen, near Neuburg an der Donau. The cure was not permanent, however. Twenty one years later he cut the throat of his nine-year-old daughter. "It was a gift from God," he told his interrogators, that he had killed his child and not himself, "for in the contrary case he would have gone to the devil with body and soul." The Silesian Catholic peasant Hans-Christian Henatschel cut the throat of his nine week-old baby in 1762, after praying to the saints and engaging in a Friday fast failed to stave off his suicidal urges.

The attitude expressed by "S. A." there was not uncommon; in 1554, a Flemish scholar wrote that suicide was in fact worse than murder, because while the latter only destroyed a body, the former destroyed both body and soul. This was reprinted almost verbatim two centuries later by the (Protestant) Zedler Encyclopedia, which shows just how prevalent this belief was. The article also mentions some of the superstitions people had about suicide victims.

quote:

In both Catholic and Protestant regions the disposal of the suicide's remains was the responsibility of secular authorities, a task they conferred upon the dishonorable professions of executioner and skinner. In Bavaria the executioner or skinner buried suicides "at a secluded place where neither man nor beast treads"; other options were cremation, disposal in a river, or burial beneath the gallows. In Augsburg suicides of both confessions were nailed into a barrel and cast in the river Lech. In Wiirttemberg the executioner or skinner buried the suicide either in a desolate location or, if the suicide had a particularly bad reputation in life, underneath the gallows. In Schleswig and Holstein the executioner buried suicides in a field or with animal carrion. The transport of the body to the burial site sometimes involved additional apotropaic measures designed to prevent the suicide's return as a malicious revenant. To prevent the suicide from finding his or her way home, the body was removed through a hole dug underneath the threshold rather than through the door, a procedure ecclesiastical and secular authorities tolerated though they did not officially authorize it. In Nuremberg the bodies of suicides were lowered out of windows.

The religious ban on suicide wasn't absolute, however: as early as the 12th century, Catholic theologians postulated that those who were driven to suicide by madness couldn't and shouldn't be judged. The Lutheran churches continued this policy. In the Early Modern Era, both ecclesiastical and temporal authorities would research a suicide and try to find out whether the victim had been of sound mind or not. If the latter case was present, the victims could yet be buried properly, though even then stuff like funeral processions or the ringing of bells was mostly left out. Many of the deeply superstitious laity of both denominations were appalled by this, however, and we have lots of reports of riots breaking out after a suicide victim being buried in this manner.

By now, the Catholic position is much simpler:

The Catechism posted:

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him.
It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life.
We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls.
We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us.
It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life.
It is gravely contrary to the just love of self.
It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations.
Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal.
Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. the Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

Sorry for busting out a historian's ramblings on a topic as delicate as this, but I just wanted to share this ridiculously cool article with you :shobon:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

That brings up something I was wondering about a while ago. When did suicide 'officially' become a grave sin in the Christian faith? The Bible doesn't seem to say much on the subject one way or the other, and I remember reading about an early Christian sect that actually viewed suicide as akin to martyrdom.

While the Bible doesn't say much, don't forget that the most prominent suicide in there is by none other than Judas Iscariot, who isn't exactly presented as a role model. The sect you're speaking of would be the Donatists (and their more radical offshoot, the Circumcellions); maybe it's their attitude towards suicide that moved St Augustine to wholly denounce suicide as a sin in the early 5th century. The case wasn't entirely clear-cut before; Jewish religious law was always uneasy with suicide, and they were/are, in theory at least, buried in a separated part of the graveyard. There are examples of Jews who chose suicide to escape dishonour, though, with Samson or King Saul being prominent examples. Romans and Greeks were pretty relaxed concerning suicide, though Aristotle and possibly Plato as well opposed it. I've also read that in Athens, suicide without the explicit permission of the state was disallowed as well; the victims would be buried outside of the city in this case. Greco-Roman stories abound with honourable soldiers and officers falling on their own sword than conceding defeat to the enemy, though. Early Christianity too regarded suicide as a possibly virtuous act - Eusebius writes of two young Christian women in Antioch who killed themselves to avoid being raped by a roving band of soldiers. Augustine comes back to this example and says that they should rather have suffered the rape than kill themselves. For Augustine, purity is a state of mind which may survive even a horrible experience like rape, whereas suicide is a direct violation of the fifth Commandment; a sin that, by design, cannot be confessed and repented and which consequently cannot be forgiven (though Augustine makes an exception: when God personally orders you to commit suicide, then it's cool :shepface:) Augustine was super important in this regard (as in virtually everything else), and by the sixth century suicide starts to become a secular crime as well.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

KataMary DaMercy.

:kiss:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

when the america-dwellers are asleep the only people posting here are the germans, the nordics, my dad, and me; that's gonna make things a little weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IyAGpooGko

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

How many saints are there?

Literally tens of thousands, but nobody can give you a precise number. For about the first thousand years of its existence, granting sainthood in the Catholic Church was something that developed organically, i.e. the people started to venerate somebody and the church officials would eventually write their name down in the list of saints. Many of these were/are venerated only within a very localised context. Also there are many canonisations where entire groups of peope are proclaimed saints, like the 117 martyrs of Vietnam, the martyrs of the French revolution or the 11,000 virginal handmaidens of St Ursula (who never existed, but that's beside the point :v:)

quote:

Do saints have unique "domains" or is there overlap?

There is a lot of overlap, because domains aren't (with some exceptions) given out by decree, but instead develop organically and locally instead. So one of the most important farmers' saints in Bavaria and Austria would be St Leonard, whereas his cult is mostly unknown in Switzerland (with the exception of its north-eastern border); the same goes for the Austro-Bavarian cult of St Florian as patron saint of firefighters - this job is done by St Agatha instead as far as Rhinelanders are concerned. Then there are the exceptions of how domains are assigned I mentioned: when it comes to places or specific institutions (like army brigades, or dioceses, or countries), their respective patron saints are often proclaimed with great pomp by the local elites together with the Pope. Proclaiming a saint is a big thing for your propaganda, so over the centuries many places got assigned several saints, either because of politics or because they are a local saint who started to get venerated a lot by the populace.

quote:

Do non-Catholic and -Orthodox denominations recognize saints?

Some Protestant denominations do (the various Anglican/Episcopalian Churches for one, and some Lutheran Churches too iirc). They do have a different understanding of saints and sainthood, though: they're not venerated and asked for intercession, but instead seen as highly virtuous individuals worthy being remembered. Martin Luther King is a saint for Episcopalians, if I'm not mistaken.

quote:

How does one become a saint? I heard some people joking that Theo Epstein would be qualified because ending two historic title droughts could be interpreted as miracles.

Befor ~1100 AD (in the Catholic Church): organically, or the bishop/Pope proclaims a new saint locally/for the entire Church. Sometimes local cults spring up and spread like wildfire for saints that haven't been officially canonised even afterwards, and the Pope makes him/her a saint after that. The first person to be subject to the canonisation procedure we still have today (i.e. his virtue being researched and miracles happening in his name being confirmed, and him being officially proclaimed a saint by the Pope afterwards) was St Ulrich of Augsburg in 993; the last saint to be proclaimed by someone else than the Pope was St Walter of Pontoise in 1153 (by the Archbishop of Rouen).

As to the how: you have to have lived a virtous and Christian life worthy of being emulated, and (and that's the hard part) there must have been at least two scientifically recognised miracles (as in, doctors and scientists unable to find a non-supernatural explanation for it) that happened after people asked for your intercession. The road to sainthood consists of four steps: First, a bishop (normally the one where the potential saint lived) gives the order to open an investigation into this person's life and their virtues; this gains the investigated person the title of "Servant of God" and mustn't happen earlier than five years after the candidate's death. When the local bishops thinks that enough material has been gathered, he formally presents his findings to the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints in Rome. There, a number of priest-bureaucrats start gathering everything they can find about the candidate in addition to the material they've been given by the local diocesan investigators, and I mean everything. Sometimes there have been cases where the local authorites left out information that didn't present their candidate in the best possible light, but eventually it'll come out. The candidates' files can reach massive proportions, filling thousands of pages. The Congregation works at the normal office hours (i.e. 8-12 and again 17-20 o'clock I believe, six days a week), by the way :v: It must be a super fascinating place, where worldly bureaucracy meets the supernatural. Let me translate a part of a German article about it real quick:

quote:

Through a door that's halfway ajar you can see a man wearing clercial garb, sitting at his desk and reading a file. This is one of the five relators, busy getting on with a saint's procedure or burying it in a drawer, sine die, to defer indefinitely.
Someone is talking on the phone, you can hardly not hear it in the quiet corridor: "He's accepted all my arguments for martydrom... Yes, yes, he told me: If it hadn't been for me, the entire case would have been blown to pieces..."
And in another room you can hear: "I wouldn't get my hopes up, if I were you. The case is stuck because the journalists have discovered this book of his, they won't forget that and would remind everybody of it if it came to canonisation..."
Everyday office life in the Congregation for the Causes of the Saints.

When enough information has been gathered, the Congregation recommends the candidate to the Pope, who will then declare them "heroic in virtue", conferring upon them the title of "Venerable". A venerable person still doesn't have a feast day of his/her own, and churches can't be dedicated to them.

When someone has been declared venerable and happens to be a martyr, then the Pope can declare him "Blessed" (this is called beatification) just like that. Being beatified gives you a feast day, but your cult will be restricted to your home diocese and/or your order.
What if you aren't a martyr? Then you better start working on your miracles, because without them you'll never advance beyond Venerable. When a miracle has occurred and been accepted by the Congregation and their experts (and those aren't just some quacks, but highly renowned doctors and scientists who have to agree that whatever happened can't be explained by modern medicine/science), only then a non-martyr candidate can be beatified.

Now the last step is being canonised. This is almost easy: all you need is a second miracle. When that has been accepted, the Pope probably will declare you a Saint. Your feast day either continues to be observed only within a local context, or it is declared for all of the Church. Parished and churches can freely be named after you, and a number of prayers will enter the official liturgy for your feast day (I think that already happens at the Blessed stage, though). Being declared a saint means that the Church is absolutely certain that you are in Heaven.

All of this may be waived by the Holy Father at any time, though, like in the cases of St John Paul II (the procedure started almost immediately after his death instead of the prescribed five years) or St John XXIII (where Pope Francis decided to skip the second miracle). As of now there are about a thousand current candidacies, with maybe two hundred of them having any sort of chance of every reaching sainthood. Normally, such a procedure lasts ages, in some cases even centuries (when the politics concerning the candidate are somewhat delicate, for example, or when the miracles won't come). Pope John Paul II declared hundreds of people saints during his reign, more than all the Pope before him combined, but afaik Benedict and Francis have considerably slowed that down again.

In theory, some of the Eastern Catholic Churches are still allowed to declare saints by themselves. I'm pretty sure that that hasn't happened in a long time, though.

As to the non-Catholic Churches, I'll let others explain who know more than me.

quote:

And what's the deal with the Virgin Mary? (I say in my best Seinfeld voice) Obviously she isn't part of the Trinity-well not unless you count being a part of the Holy Spirit-but she (does Mary get capitalized pronouns like Jesus?) seems to hold a greater level of significance than any saint?

Mary is the Queen of Heaven and the most important saint of all. My ramblings already have gone on for long enough and I gotta go, but let me just say that she is a biiiig deal. "The Church's devotion to the Blessed Virgin is intrinsic to Christian worship." (Catechism of the Catholic Church). As any other saint, she is venerated though and not worshipped, though she gets the special honour of hyperdulia, which is an exalted form of the veneration accorded to saints (dulia), but still below the worship that may only be directed toward God (latria).

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 16, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

A flight to Rome is expensive, don't judge

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

...why was it in a bottle

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I was named for a terrible violinist,, and the saint my grandma decided would be my patron saint has no cool patronages other than of the diocese he founded :cripes: At least I could theoretically go to France and look at his head there, that's pretty cool

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

The Patriarchate of Alexandria just restored the female diaconate! (link in Greek)

Translation from elsewhere, sadly I don't speak a lick of Greek posted:

On November 16 the Synod of aboriginal Patriarchate of Alexandria and All Africa continued its work under the chairmanship of His Beatitude Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa, Theodore Vstin Patriarchal Seat.

Speakers at today’s meeting were Ven. Nigeria Metropolitan k.Alexandros who developed the theme of fasting within the African reality and Ven. Cameroon Metropolitan. Gregory who omilise on the institution of Deaconesses the missionary field. Both rapporteurs presented with theological arguments the positions and proposals, was done no extensive discussion thereon.

On the subject of fasting decisions of the meeting will be announced shortly to the clergy and people of the spiritual jurisdiction of the Patriarchate by the Patriarchate Circulars.

On the issue of the institution of Deaconesses, it was decided to revive it and ordained bishops on tripartite committee for detailed consideration.

So yeah, that's super vague. Excited to see what they make of it!

e: in a comment section discussing this I was also referred to some remnants of the female diaconate that possibly, maybe have survived in the Carthusian order?

The website of the Carthusians posted:

After her solemn profession or perpetual donation, the nun can, if she wishes, receive the Consecration of Virgins. This is a special rite where the Bishop gives the nun not only the veil and ring, external signs of an indissoluble union with the divine Spouse, but also the stole. This confers on the recipient certain liturgical privileges the most significant of them being the proclaiming of the Gospel on certain occasions.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 18, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

It's pretty normal for someone to mellow out once they settle down and have a kid, you know :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

wrong way :mmmsmug:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Martin Scorcese finally got to make his passion project, a movie adaptation of Shūsaku Endō's novel about Jesuit missionaries in 17th century Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqrgxZLd_gE

Well, I'm hype

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Ceciltron posted:

A table for everything. A sheet for every character. Mandatory verisimilitude. Remember Gygax's courtesan table? Well now you will have a thousand sided die for every single npc.

HYBRID RPG version 0.21 posted:

RULE # 0: 1st version # naming rule: Rules or/and equations grow @ rate of 1 per month; but, Version # = [((year) – 2000) / 10], Version V, for the web-page version. So, in 2002, the Version # is @ V 0.2 by [(2002 – 2000) / 10] = 2/10 = Version V 0.2. So, % complete = (100*V), where % @ V 0.2 = 20% complete, < currently > for the web-page version. Then, in 1999, V = -.1. Then, 2nd version # naming rule: based on the value of the sun, where V 0.3025 would place the sun @ 55 C1 DP or Default Psyche. And, the 3rd version # naming rule: combination of the 1st & 2nd version # naming rule, where by the 1st digit “3” in 0.3 such as in 0.3025 after the decimal point would signify the sun @ 55 C1 DP, the 2nd digit “3” in 0.33 for the year 2033, and the last digit or 4th digit such as in such as “in 0.339, the month of the year, such as in start of autumn of 2033. But, V.34 should be done in 2034. My 1st version # naming rule @ V 0.08 is proportional to the appearance of the 1st mutant(s) in Aberrant rpg in 2008, since my version # partially coincides with the value & magnitude of the sun, which signify the appearance of the 1st mutant, sort of like in DC Universe for the future earth timeline where future DC earth is called planet Krypton, which is DC earth in a future DC timeline, AT LEAST THAT IS HOW I INTERPRET THE DC UNIVERSE SUPERMAN BEING FROM THE FUTURE, < notice the red sun > , where Kal EL travels back in time in a time machine is how I interpret it. So, by giving a larger value for the sun or the earth in the present timeline, you increase the probability of mutants on earth being born. You might ask how ? The Answer is: Conservation of Mass & Energy which would be (increase in) Negative Energy (which is also used for time travel) resulting IF you artificially increase the value of the sun or the earth or that of any large heavy object near earth, where this Negative Energy would be transferred to some organic body in manner similar to that of creating the MU Cosmic Cube, & in similar manner that used by the DC Jor El to created the Eradicator, later reborn as Kal El. In the 1st cartoon series of Superman in the 21st century, Superman uses this Negative Energy to create Brainiac, in Superman’s attempt to take over DC earth, but in different way from the Martian-Man of DC Mars, IF he’s from Mars, though he could just be a mutant from DC earth pretending to be from Mars. All members of the Justice League are super villains, including Aquaman, except that they have better PR than the Legion of Doom: they are all super villains trying to take over DC earth, including the current Clark Kent of the tv series “Smallville”, where he pretends to be a good guy, but he’s constantly scheming evil plots. Even, Wonder Woman is evil as well as a lier, by that I don’t mean her sexy outfit. I’ve been preaching, if you want to call it that, this that these so-called super heroes are super villains in disguise for the past several(7) years, ever since I discovered the subliminal PLOT(s) in DC & MU comics & cartons of DC & MU in 1996, after years of research consisting of running various alternate scenarios, all of them leading up to the same conclusion that they are all super villains. HUMANS ARE SO GULLIBLE THAT THEY BELIEVE ANY AUTHORITY FIGURE, JUST LOOK @ GULF War I & ii, both times USA lied to its public, 1st (it was) Kuwait was stealing Iraqi oil, which was never told to the USA public even now it’s hidden unless you do research but not difficult to find if you go to deja news, then there was Gulf War II about weapons of mass destruction for which none were found (Bush only wanted Iraqi oil, but such actions are considered war crimes, but did any USA citizen care if USA committed war crimes; answer: no; what the hell, USA (INCLUDIGN ITS SOLDIERS) has been committing war crimes for the past 2 hundred years: EITHER EVERY REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT OR ALL EXCEPT GEORGE WASHINGTON, BUT EXCLUDING Bill Clinton, AS THOUGH HE WASN’T GREAT RATHER OK {he committed less war crimes than the current President Bush} KIND OF PRESIDENT OR/& SUFFICIENTLY GOOD ENOUGH {FIGURATIVELY SPEAKING} KIND OF GOOD ENOUGH TO PASS MUSTARD PRESIDENT; but, the Democrats in House & Senate acted cowardly during both Persian Gulf War I & II ): Bush even lied about the uranium purchase [his father lied about Iraqi killing babies] to justify preemptive attack on Iraq, and even if Iraq had purchased uranium, it as a nation has right to protect itself from outside invaders, just like USA has right to protect itself, but when you start acting like an imperialist THEN YOU ARE NO LONGER ACTING DEFINSIVELY BUT OFFENSIVELY preemptive WHICH IS IMPERIALISIC & violation of international laws, not that USA cares about international laws unless it the USA is making those international laws with its puppet UN: THIS SAME TRICK, deception with a good PR, IS PERFORMED BY ALL MEMBERS OF THE DC Justice LEAGUE, but the readers are blind to it for some unknown reason(s), maybe they like to root for the winner so not to suffer any trauma or maybe everyone is evil in the sense that they are selfish deep down inside, sort of like a rape victim rationalizing that she likes being raped, or maybe all single women like being raped but hide that fact so as not to lower their market value, for we all know that most women love $ more than sex, and why it’s easier for women to focus on work than men because men are always thinking about sex, while women always thinking about $. USA GOVERNMENT < THOUGH NOT YET USA > EVEN LIED ABOUT NOT LIKING TAXES WHEN IT FOUGHT THE BRITISH, then it taxed its citizens. USA lied about how it got the Louisiana Purchase from the French, it, was stolen by the USA government, which has always lied to its people, and wasting tax $ by feeding wrong history education to our children. But, the USA government don’t care about your tax $, because its FREE $ to them, the corrupt politicians, who can’t believe that its citizens could be so gullible to believe outright lies as truth, but unfortunately most USA citizens are gullible, and now Americans are brainwashed to into thinking & believing that a man raping his wife or/& girlfriend is raping her which not true, as there is NO difference between a girlfriend & a wife, except for a piece of paper saying otherwise, so there is no rape if a man rapes his girlfriend, since before feminism, men were allowed to rape his wife, since most women are frigid or have mood swings, as long as she is his girlfriend during the time that he rape his woman, the same if she his wife, since the only difference between a girlfriend & a wife, is a piece of paper, a marriage license, which is consent by woman to allow her husband to rape her, which feminism don’t’ recognize anymore, so then there is no marriage, if there is no consent to rape one’s wife, then there is no difference between a girlfriend & a wife, so then marriage does not exist any longer, and if marriage does not exist, then what is the point of getting married, oh, the woman say to prove that you love me, but it is now excuse to collect alimony & child support, latter is also alimony or payment for sex which is prostitution which illegal in USA, and most men are NOT looking to marry a prostitute when HE/THEY get married. So, you see, American will believe any lies told by its government, so this, that the American public is gullible & will believe anything that any authority figure will tell them, is what the DC & MU have been trying to tell its readers for the past half a century, but this hidden message does not get across to its readers for some unknown reason, maybe lack of concern, or lack of a moral IQ, or desire NOT to appear not part of the group, or pass the buck onto some other person for the blame for anything that goes on, and not take any responsibility, which would make men feminists, since feminists don’t take responsibility for their actions which is an oxymoron since most men are not feminists or are they feminists, or how else can you explain this odd behavior on part of men, which would imply that men & women are very much similar to each other, both capable of love & destruction, each in their own way. But, the corrupt USA government has grown too big for anyone to criticize or fight.

The worst (in the sense of "most undecipherable") RPG rules I know of. Though that implies that God is an unmedicated schizophrenic, so maybe not the best example? :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think everybody should go to Hell in their own way.

For Christians who think the Sabbath is still binding -- note that some of these consider Saturday the Sabbath --, sure, go ahead, close your business, take the day off. For Christians who don't, go to church, go to meeting, go to the park, whatever. For non-Christians working for Christians, there should be fair employment laws whose details I am not competent to describe.

Fundamentally? People ought to get to observe holy days. Details to be worked out handwave handwave. The government and government institutions should not favor one holy day over another. For instance, public universities holding exams over Yom Kippur, something that has happened more than once? Right Out. It's fine to have Christmas break, because December vacation is pretty much ingrained into American society at this point, but if people want to work Christmas in exchange for getting [insert your favorite holiday] off, that should be a possibility.

Also I want a pony.

At least in Germany and Austria (I'm not sure about other countries), not working on Sunday is something that is more the result of unions fighting for it than the churches influencing state policy (though unions and the churches actually did/do closely cooperate on this). Everybody should have the guarantee of a work-free day per week, so why not make it Sunday, which is the holy day of the vast majority of people anyhow? This excludes essential services as well as those whose business model directly revolves around people having more free time during the weekend like movie theatres, of course. People of other faiths have the legal right to additional holidays. My old parish priest in Vienna used to joke that to get the most holidays in Austria you should be a Protestant (who get some more holidays in addition to the Catholic holiday calendar of Austria, like Reformation Day) working for the Jewish community (which would observe Jewish holidays as well, of course) in Carinthia (which is the state with the most holidays)

I think it's a pretty great rule, all things considered. Yes, sometimes it's annoying that you can't buy (some) stuff on Sundays, but otoh it's good that families have at least one day in the week where everybody is guaranteed to have time and not be working (well, at least if nobody's a paramedic or a gas station cashier or something). Also I think that our lives already revolve around work and consumption enough; a state-mandated, regular break from that does nobody ill.

But then again, I live in a country that bans people from dancing on Good Friday and other “sombre“ holidays, so this attitude might be super strange to you Americans, who knows :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Eh, that too.

Luthor ain't my favourite of the many and varied people who tried to start new stuff in the Church.

Now that's a plot to take down Superman that I hadn't heard of before! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

People always forget that indulgences still exist :rant: After the Reformation they became strictly non-monetary in nature and are given out for doing specific things like entering a confraternity, visiting a certain church on a certain day and receive Communion there, walking through a Gate of Mercy during a Year of Mercy and so on. These indulgences were huuuuuge in the Baroque and continued to be important for many Catholics well into the 20th century. Nowadays they are more of a niche thing, but the principle of the Church giving out indulgences is still very much alive.

• Locked thread