Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey did you guys know the Buddhist church of America has programmed services in the style of Christian services

Hymns, readings from scripture, reading quotations from the founder and foundational thinkers, and there's even pews

We even bow to the altar to show respect and reverence

Yessir jodo shinshu is not only non-discriminatory it's also super familiar to western Christians. Don't genuflect tho that's apparently a "faux pas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

hot take: no they aren't

Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold

Though why new friends are lesser than old friends I don't get. What if the old one is a jerk and the new one super nice?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

why are you friends with jerks, mo tzu

Depression. Also anxiety. And just a wee bit of a guilt complex about cutting people out of my life

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Belgian posted:

I bet they don't even transubstantiate anything.

Well there are legends about people ascending to the pure land without dying first

Or something like that

So there's that

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paramemetic posted:

Have you all heard the good word of our Lord and Savior Shakyamuni Buddha?

That's a funny way to spell Amida

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

go to a bunch of services of different denominations, see what grabs you

i hope it's orthodoxy

This is good advice, though if you're more intellectual and less experiential (this seems elitist but I'm not sure how else to say "if thinking is easier than feeling for you") then reading up on different church dogmas, ideologies, and theologies is also good

It's why I became Catholic, and then Buddhist. Also how I became gay, and then trans. Funny how that works. Anyway reading is also good

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

there's also different kinds of thinking, for instance i think about abstract things or general things in terms of concrete or specific things, so in order to explain something when i write something i end up listing a billion examples

Yeah I guess it's less intellectual vs experiential and more visual vs aural/ something about being social maybe

Nothing scares me more than a church that welcomes visitors, especially ones with almost no young people (they seem desperate tbh)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

What about unfriendly churches

Welcoming, but in a New England way not a southern way

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

System Metternich posted:

Gotta explain this to a dirty Old Worlder

Southern people are super friendly, like smiles and "how are you" and stuff like that. New England people are more cold, less likely to be as exuberant in their welcome, but aren't unfriendly. Unless you're southern, in which case it seems rude

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
something something something three jewels

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
dog god dog god dog god DOG GOD DOG GOD DOG GOD

like sure technically the temple was to the entire family, and the dog died because it jumped into the graves with the rest of the family so they just buried it too, but the dog is the one who looks out for people the most. because he's a dog and dogs want people to be as happy as they are. dog god best god, what you doing christianity

maybe jesus should've been a shiba inu

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know honestly having tried to be jodo shinshu and catholic I gotta say, sometimes religions just don't want to work well together. Still multiple religious belonging is a cool and good thing whether it's a cultural or individual phenomenon

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Worthleast posted:

And this summarizes my problems with Ecumenism.

Give us this day our daily music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOwRW8ee4S8

That people examine for themselves what is or isn't true instead of assenting wholeheartedly to a set of doctrines?

Cause I got some unfortunate news for you; that's most people

Wait you said ecumenism not syncretism, how does that apply to ecumenism?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tias posted:

I wholeheartedly agree. Being syncretic means finding out your personal truth, doctrinal impossibilities be damned. This was never a problem for us pagans, but I can imagine it must be an absolute shitshow if you start from dogmatic liturgigal christianity.

It's rough to take two religions that each say "only through (x) can you achieve (y)" where x can be "ecclesia" and y is "salum" or "Amida" "buddhahood" and attempt to practice both

My attempt to reconcile these was based on the fact that salvation and buddhahood are different solutions to different problems. Salvation is necessary for escaping sin or however you would summarize it in a sentence fragment, while buddhahood solves the issue of samsara. Either humanity is gripped with the sin of Adam and needs to be redeemed through Christ, or humanity is part of the structure of rebirth governed by karma and in order to escape that cycle it's necessary to attain enlightenment (which can only occur through an experience of Shinjin, which is the simultaneous realization that one should fall into hell, and recognizing that through Amida you are reborn in the pure land). Since these are mutually exclusive it is possible to believe both, because both religions solve mutually exclusive problems

Then I rea I was just scared to finish ripping off the bandage of leading Catholicism and just converted wholeheartedly without trying to be both

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paramemetic posted:

Man pure land really is the most Catholic of Buddhisms. I thought it was Tibetan Buddhism because we're all about bells and music and fabulous robes* but this kind of "welp I'm definitely poo poo but maybe if I feel guilty enough someone will be merciful" perspective is Catholic as gently caress.

Actually shinshu is Protestant because we don't acknowledge works. Jodo shu, which says the path of sages is valid and ergo has works and faith, is Catholic

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Worthleast posted:

This sheds some light on what I mean. False ecumenism says they are not mutually exclusive, but the same, and ignore any possible contradiction. True ecumenism (like this thread) says truth is true and then argues and defends it in charity.

Some people just don't like to live in existential tension

Like me

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

An old white Christian British man an antisemite? My monocle just broke in shock

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

Many peasant revolts in the medieval period had a distinctive eschatological character, the one in 1381 most notably. Facing overwhelming odds, peasants still rebelled against their masters because they thought they had God on their side and that they were ushering in the Millenial Kingdom. So religious fervor was pretty high amongst the peasantry, since they were fully willing to die for their beliefs. On the other hand, Millenarianism (taking action in the world in order to bring about the Millenial Kingdom) was never a Catholic teaching and in fact was soundly condemned by the Vatican. So clearly there's a transmission of religious ideas among the laity, and it's not like they were all just sitting around for a priest or monk to tell them everything they needed to know.

thanks for giving me a good idea on a new research topic; buddhist and christian peasant revolts, the ways in which religious ideology influences revolutionary action. i'll work on that after i write my essay comparing and contrasting the life and work of ignacio ellacuria and takagi kenmyo

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

P-Mack posted:

Keep me posted if/when you do this, it is extremely my jam.

It'll be at least a year to learn Japanese and probably longer trying to teach myself historiography but it'll get done maybe

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Hegel probably likes all of these. The first two look like prisons, the last one looks like some kind of retro-future euthanasia clinic, or maybe a white leather couch turned outside-in.

these are good because church is truly a prison for the soul

or something

i like how the first one uses light to make a cross that's a neat architectural design

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Qualitative because revolucion is not a contest

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mo Tzu posted:

revolucion is not a contest

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you weren't Eastern European I'd argue that point but as an armchair American Marxist I got nothing

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sometimes revolucion can be good. Like the American Revolution, minus the genocide and slavery. Like some political systems need to be overthrown, and sometimes violence is a necessary means to that end. French, Polish, and even Spanish resistance to fascism would be good examples of that

There are necessarily consequences, but a lack of revolution can be equally distressing. Riots in America are directly tied to civil rights gains for black Americans, for example. I'll admit I'm a bit prone to citing others revolutions as just while wringing my hands about American neoliberalism and the creeping spectre of fascism so I'm one to talk

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

System Metternich posted:

Pictured: Thomas Aquinas, thin as a rail

The Protestant propaganda is coming from inside the thread :tinfoil:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Was Aquinas a reformed creeper on women? I thought that was Augustine.

I'm pretty sure his family paid a sex worker to gently caress him so he wouldn't join the Dominicans, and either beat the poo poo out of her or converted her into being not a sex worker depending on who you ask

So... maybe?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

no, but every time someone shitposts at a Papist, Martin Luther raises his beer stein and nods his chins approvingly

in Lutheran theology all Christians living and dead are saints and praying for the Christian Church as a whole, it is ok to contemplate and imitate their lives to strengthen our faith but they are not intercessors

so perpetua is perpetually praying

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man Whore posted:

How would that work? is there some kind of preacher streaming site that streams sermons and we can just talk about cool baptist things? I would do it but I have to admit that I don't know the first thing about Jesus other than half remembered bible school stuff.

you know i think some congregations are on skype, and some streaming service (not twitch, unless padre mains mercy i suppose). like back when i e-mailed robert shore-goss like "oh no i like dudes and i wanted to be a catholic priest what do i do" he sent me a link to archives of sermons from his congregation (then metropolitan community church) and a link to where streamed weekly services.

i'm sure they have something like that for even more evangelical forms of christianity (mcc was started by a pentecostal and while robert shore-goss, former jesuit, had a more catholic inspired service a lot of congregants apparently have issues with more liturgical worship styles)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
robert shore-goss also said he'd be willing to "apprentice" me so to speak, doing whatever it is you do to make someone a priest and teaching me the ropes of being a minister

then a week later i saw him post on lady gaga's facebook that he'd do the same for her, and it kind of lost the impact a bit tbh

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

can't god just be intersex / transcend gender completely without needing to be two additional people, male and female, to do it?

God's a non-binary polyamorous relationship; a thing I read in a theology book once

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

I mean sure, I don't understand God as having a sex or gender at all, or at least not in our human sense. Jesus' physical body was male but there's really no mention of his sexuality in the New Testament and the traditional Christian understanding is he was celibate until his death. Personally I'm perfectly ok with Jesus portrayed as androgynous, asexual, or agendered because it's not relevant. Clearly it wasn't a big enough thing for him to speak to himself. Although, he did convince Origen to castrate himself:

The best part about being Buddhist and trying to do Buddhist studies means never having to read another loving essay about how eunuchs transcend gender and are equivalent to trans women

Also there's a New Testament scholar whose name I forget that would disagree about Jesus being asexual being okay (since it's been used against gay and lesbian and bisexual people) but gently caress if I remember. He made me read about the baby Jesus' penis like four times so gently caress 'im.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paramemetic posted:

Eunuchs are so gender binary, Buddhism's all about ubhatovyanjañakas and paṇḍakas. Gotta get quaternary with our genders.

I'm specializing in Japanese Buddhism so I don't get to study the cool stuff about what to do if a monk becomes a woman or any of the other genders ☹️

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

This might be a dumb question and I'll take it to the Buddhism thread if we end up going at length, but since I've got a couple of you here:

How do gender and sexuality come into reincarnation/rebirth? If self and soul don't exist and gender and sexuality are strictly aspects of our physical bodies, why should they matter?

The Shin response would be that it ultimately doesn't matter, but in our lives it does and so we live as though they are "real." Like Jodo Shinshu is all about living life as a regular person because only by Amida's intervention can we become Buddhas

Sorry I can't get into more detail with my bread and butter but I'm eating dinner right now and I just did 4 hours of Japanese so I'm a little fried

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's not a completely tasteless thing to do

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bel_Canto posted:

Today the pope, in keeping with his pattern on queer issues, doesn't budge on doctrine but really would like pastors to stop treating trans people and gays like poo poo.. Notable mainly for a pope publicly and unhesitatingly giving a particular trans man the basic dignity of being spoken of as a man, over which, as expected, the internet is already losing its poo poo.

But are we still nuclear weapons?

I can't really take this seriously since he said something about gender theory causing children to be "confused" and think they aren't the gender God made them. Calling a trans dude he to his face is something, but this is a pope who used the word gay. I'm not particularly impressed by something like that when it's clearly not backed up by substance.

Ideological colonization, yeah Francis I'm sure two spirit native Americans find that hugely ironic. Same with Hijra Indians.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jodo Shinshu has been doing same sex marriages since the sixties, and the home temple of the Buddhist Churches of America (I should really try to remember if it's otani-ha or honganji-ha; I think honganji-ha) actually blessed a lesbian marriage where one of the brides was a trans woman.

This isn't to say "recite the nembutsu!" (but if you decided you wanted to that would be great) but that there are places who'll have girls like us. The Metropolitan Community Church has its issues (which as an outsider I don't particularly know or understand) but they're probably as accepting as the mainstream lgbt community (make of that what you will). And even with atheism you have groups of atheist lgbt people finding some kind of community together. Don't feel like you're an outsider everywhere, because I promise you if you look hard enough you can find something that accepts us for who we are.

Though with Catholicism you're probably stuck with dignity and most holy redeemer. There's another one but gently caress me if I can remember what the other lgbt Catholic organization is.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I came out here to have a good time and I feel so attacked right now

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

It was a joke. I do seriously believe the Catholic Church should emphasize women in the church more (come on, it's past time to let women into the priesthood), and I sympathize greatly with liberation theology regarding Catholicism, but no I don't actually want to resurrect the Cathars.

You should read James Hal Cone

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well there's the American preachers pushing for kill the gays laws in Africa today so I find it a little suspect when someone chooses to be postcolonial only when it comes to LGBT rights

Course I could probably write a book, or at least a chapter in a book, about the racism and neocolonialism inherent in LGBT activism so who am I to talk. I think promoting the idea of African sovereignty and "don't kill gay people" are necessarily mutually exclusive but there's certainly a lot of poison in that there well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bollock Monkey posted:

I saw a thing saying that lurkers should just post, and whilst I'm not much of a lurker here I haven't seen this broached in my skim-reads of this thread. I have always wondered how people know they've picked the right religion/the right version of a religion and I'm interested to hear some thoughts on that, if anyone's happy to tell me any. Whilst I appreciate that not all religious institutions/individuals have the same "If you don't believe exactly what I do then you're going to Hell!" thing, as I understand it there is usually some degree of feeling that your version is the 'correct' one to some degree or another and I find that interesting because it's something I just don't have context to understand. So... How do you know you picked correctly?

I like my religion. It's got the right mix of social activism (I mean, hypothetically anyway; enough for me to do religious work about it) with the right mix of accepting me for who I am. It's also got a cool spiritual and theological tradition.

As for how I know it's true, well, it makes sense to me. Any proof more than that is beyond my capacity to know one way or another.

• Locked thread