Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mo Tzu posted:

Welcoming, but in a New England way not a southern way
Yeah. I don't want lots of people coming up to me and saying welcome and asking if I've found a church home. The occasional smile and reminder that there's coffee afterward does just fine, thanks. I am shy, and it is hard enough to make myself go to church without having to be Social.

e: Furthermore, Southern Nice, like Midwestern Nice, operates on multiple levels. If you just go by the smiles and sweet words, you are missing a lot, and in some cases all, of the conversation. Just see how surprised many people were when it was explained that "bless your heart" can be "Oh, you're so sweet" or "Go to hell" depending on context.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Brennanite posted:

:golfclap:

I unironically think a case could be made for the so-called "prosperity gospel" being one of the antichrists. The idea of God being a magical ATM or a genie that grants wishes is morally repugnant to me. To paraphrase Morbo, "Deity does not work that way!"

There's a Regina Spektor song called "Laughing With" that has a verse I really love:

But God can be funny
At a cocktail party when listening to a good God-themed joke, or
When the crazies say He hates us
And they get so red in the head you think they’re ‘bout to choke
God can be funny,
When told he’ll give you money if you just pray the right way
And when presented like a genie who does magic like Houdini
Or grants wishes like Jiminy Cricket and Santa Claus
God can be so hilarious

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

JcDent posted:

Some of the more nationalist minded/metalheaded or whatever folks sometimes rumble about forced Christianization of Lithuania, even though it brought literacy and stuff to Lithuanian (first book in Lithuanian is a Catechism),
This is true for a *lot* of languages -- not just because missionaries wanted it, although that's often the case, but because if you're gonna do books you start with the Most Important Book first. One of (I forget if it's the) oldest surviving pieces in Old English is Caedmon's Hymn, written in the 8th century.

If you want to do less-known Christian music, the eerie, dissonant music of Renaissance prince, composer, and murderer Carlo Gesualdo is astonishing. Check out the Hilliard Ensemble recording of Tenebrae, the service for Good Friday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0HksZpmuiY

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I personally find it comforting that my personal truth about what I believe may not measure up to who God really is and what He wants. I think I'd be disappointed if God was something human beings could readily understand, and I find it comforting that there are questions I don't know the answers to - and even questions I don't want to know the answers to.
This sums up my feelings exactly, together with the comfort. If I could know God completely, that would limit Them (used as gender-neutral pronoun, not as theological statement), and They are greater and more complicated than I can comprehend. Kinda like :cthulhu:. (ducks, runs)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Man pure land really is the most Catholic of Buddhisms. I thought it was Tibetan Buddhism because we're all about bells and music and fabulous robes* but this kind of "welp I'm definitely poo poo but maybe if I feel guilty enough someone will be merciful" perspective is Catholic as gently caress.

Excellent hats, and therefore always relevant to this thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can I suggest an amplification to the OP?

You don't have to be a Christian. You do have to be polite.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

that's the "be a cool guy don't be an unchool guy" clause

I'd be happier if it were a bit more specific, given the number of SA threads whose definition of "cool" might not be the same as this subcommunity's.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I like Pellisworth's list a lot. I do think an explicit "Don't talk about the war abortion" is important.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Evangelicals don't wear religious hats. Checkmate, liturgical.
(tips over the board)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Well, you gotta be careful because rebaptizing a validly baptized believer will make them catch fire and explode, like they're sodium.

Galaxy Note 7 Christianity.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Excellent post. Thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Churches are also big social events down in the American South where I live.
Southern Baptists usually have a Wednesday night meeting as well as Sunday, and IIRC some congregations have an afternoon service on Sunday that you are expected to attend as well as the morning service.

Good luck trying to find a table at any restaurant after 11AM, as all the churchgoers flood out to breakfast/lunch/brunch with the family.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Yup. In my experience, the Wednesday night meetings are usually aimed at youth programs and also invent something for the kids' parents to do.

The after-church rush is real and it is a pain.
When I lived in NC, there were also blue laws and non-exempt businesses were only allowed to be open from 12-5. This meant that shopping on Sunday was also a madhouse. It's good to be on a coast full of degenerates who stagger out to brunch solely for the chance to two-fist margaritas and mimosas.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

stereobreadsticks posted:

It depends on the individual traditions but yeah, a lot of them are basically just treated as extra saints. Even things like dressing up your statue of Santa Muerte really aren't that different from the traditions of dressing up your statues of Mary, which is also a really common thing in Mexico.
I was reading that in the Philippines you dress up the Santo Niño instead. I wish *my* religious tradition included dressing up dolls for the home. Yes, I know I could just do it, but my husband would roll his eyes at me. A lot, and in any case the Baby Jesus wouldn't be high on my list of preferred saints.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

stereobreadsticks posted:

Also, you should totally get awesome religion dolls, why not?
Because I wouldn't be venerating them, and it would be tacky. And there would be no fun in dressing up a statue of (say) Elizabeth Fry because Quaker.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

American churches also have kitchens because it makes it easier to host a wedding or funeral (although nowadays the reception and wake are usually held elsewhere).

Wow, now I'm realizing how much it would weird me out if a modern (post-1900) church *didn't* have a kitchen, and a big one. When a local church closed out this year, they sold a lot of institutional-quality kitchen equipment.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Many peasant revolts in the medieval period had a distinctive eschatological character, the one in 1381 most notably. Facing overwhelming odds, peasants still rebelled against their masters because they thought they had God on their side and that they were ushering in the Millenial Kingdom.

I just got a major sad. Waaaah.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

I'm a bad Catholic. I say I'm a bad Catholic because I don't go to church every sunday (the choir takes a break during the summer -I wish they didn't) and don't pray the rosary every day like I promised my grandfather I would. I believe, though. I have faith, insofar as I am reasonably certain God is quite real and the saints are very important to our lives. I try to live my life according to the rules of the Church, as best I can at least -sometimes you forget not to eat fish on Fridays. Lent is vegetarian and completely sober from Ash Wednesday until Easter Morning.

And yet, I can't shake the feeling that somehow I am doing things wrong
There are very, very few perfect Catholics, and they're called saints for a reason. Mothers are told not to keep comparing themselves to the perfect mother in their heads, because the truth is that she's made out of every single strength a woman could have and none of the weaknesses. The same goes for practitioners of a religion. You believe in God, you are going to Mass regularly and singing in the choir, you are fasting to the best of your ability. You are doing the work. You could do it better, but so could everybody else in the church.

"A bad Catholic" is God's label to attach, not yours; and He's famously willing to forgive you when you confess and are repentant.

On a personal note, if staying sober during Lent -- as opposed to giving up alcohol -- is a goal and a sacrifice, you're probably drinking more than is healthy for you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

One last thing -- I'm a non-Catholic, but I'm pretty sure that a priest can release you from private vows, so that you can find a way to honor your grandfather's memory without feeling obligated to pray the Rosary specifically.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

(outsider's point of view, be aware) There's been a thing called the Southern Baptist resurgence that radically changed the church from what you may remember from childhood. Women teachers have been fired from the seminaries because women should never instruct men. In 1998 the Baptist Faith and Message was amended (Wikipedia) "by adding a complementarian statement about male-priority gender roles in marriage, including an adverbial modifier to the verb "submit": a wife is to "submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband", followed by a lengthy description of a husband's duty to "love his wife unconditionally."" There have been public statements against contraception.

Basically, the church has gone hard-right both in politics and in Bible interpretation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CountFosco posted:

All of this talk on Aquinus' alleged corpulence made me curious, and I discovered a passage where Chesterton compares him to Count Fosco, were that character turned suddenly to saintliness! :eek:
Was Aquinas a reformed creeper on women? I thought that was Augustine.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

So its more like a community center then?
Like any church, it's what you make of it. There are Unitarians who treat it as a community group, but there are also Unitarians who are religious, and attend the church because it resonates with them more than other religions. The "Unitarian" part isn't dogma any more, but as far as I know the "Universalist", which emphasizes that everybody is saved and everybody can find God in their own way, lives.

There are Sunday services, as well as community outreach. I had a friend who was doing Unitarian training for running teen education, and it was intensive and very well-thought-out, especially the sexual unit.

e:

System Metternich posted:

It'll take me about 20-25 minutes or so when alone, and maybe half an hour when in a group. I'd say that in my area the repetitive aspect is more important/prominent than the meditation though, so your mileage may vary. Around here the rosary will often be used simply to fill the time in a pious manner, like before Mass (where the rosary will simply end whenever the service begins) or during pilgrimages. In rural Catholic areas it was common well into the 20th century to describe units of time by how many prayers of a specific sort you could say in it, like "boil it for the length of a rosary" or "it'll take you about three Lord's Prayers". A handwritten late 19th-century cookbook my grandma has somewhere still uses this as units of time

That is SO COOL. It was very common, when the entire Catholic service was in Latin, for attenders to spend most of their time praying the Rosary to unite their prayers with what was going on up front.

e: Let's be as polite to the UUs as we are to all the other beliefs listed in this thread. It may not be our chalice of tea, but "okay, that's weird, but I'll listen and learn" is the unspoken ethos of this thread. We all look pretty weird to outsiders.

The best UU jokes are the ones they tell on themselves. Two I heard from a friend:

How do you tell if a Unitarian is mad at you?
By the burning question mark on your lawn.

How do you recognize a Unitarian missionary?
They knock on people's doors for no apparent reason.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 23, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Surprisingly you get a lot of Quakers (the liberal branch at least) doing the same; in fact some of them are pretty vitriolic towards Christians.
It gets really weird (and sometimes ugly) when the far-liberal Quakers bump up against the Biblical-literalist Quakers. My parents' home Meeting just split off from Indiana's overarching Meeting (whose name I am too lazy to look up) because they chose to become a "welcoming church", which means affirming an anodyne statement that all, including LGBTQ, are welcome. Schisms are hard because of the heartbreak -- on all sides -- of realizing people you've known for years are just Wrong.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

System Metternich posted:

I just wanted to direct your attention to this work of art I saw recently in one of my parish's churches:

It's part of a poster advertising this year's procession in honour of St Leonhard at a pilgrimage church not far away (I posted about this saint's cult and the specific church in the previous thread). It's so stylish, and Catholic, and Bavarian. It's perfect :allears:

That does it, I'm converting. Great piece of religious art there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mr Enderby posted:

And yet to feel pity for him seems incredibly disrespectful to the people he hurt so badly. Particularly as he was enormously privileged, and the two people he killed were migrant sex workers, a type of person who have often been treated as somehow less worthy of dignity and compassion.

tl;dr I've somehow managed to live my life so far without noticing that "love thy neighbour" is a hard command to follow.
You don't have to pity him. That's asking a lot more than is expected to you. You have to acknowledge that God loves him, and that God loves him just as God loves you, and to (attempt to) love him as another flawed human.

That's not the same as saying "Okay, he was justified"; it's saying "God has reasons to be furious at all of us, and if I get mercy, so does he."
And yeah, I have sure not perfected it. I keep promising not to hate anybody in the current American political campaigns, and I keep doing it anyway. Not hating isn't a one-time struggle that you win, it's a lifelong battle, at least for me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Man Whore posted:

Has he even sought repentance or forgiveness?

Now I'm a layman in every sense of the word but I always assumed forgiveness was not given freely but that one had to seek it out through a genuine desire for it and a guilt at past sins. I always found the most heartwarming display of faith to be forgiveness and not repentance personally because we all have done things to wrong someone that we regret but how many of us have the strength to truly forgive someone who has destroyed something we hold dear and welcome back with open arms someone who burned all their bridges with us?

I don't think I do.
I think the people who can forgive people who killed their (e.g.) children are being saintly, and I hope I never find out if I can do it.

My own take is that *I* don't have to forgive [insert serial killer]; that's up to God and the people s/he directly wronged. Forgiveness is not mine to give or deny. Christ just said I shouldn't judge their sins, and that I have to love them. Thus my rationale is that I can leave the forgiveness up to God, while focusing on the task that is my own duty: to love. Which, again, is hard and a daily struggle and I mostly suck at.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

This, of course, could all change if people get tired of Facebook and want to come back to participating in worship or spirituality as a face-to-face community. When we do have another religious revival in the west, I imagine that will be the reason for it.
The decline in American church attendance started a long time before Facebook, and a long time before the recent church (multiple churches) scandals. At some point there came a tipping point between Sunday (or whatever) service being what everybody, even lukewarm believers, did; and going to church being a thing that only passionate believers did. There's no community pressure to be a churchgoer in the greater U.S.-- although there certainly is in the Bible Belt, at least in my experience of it. It's not just "people don't want to show membership in a community", it's "the greater community doesn't consider church attendance to be a normal and expected part of life".

When I was growing up in the '60s and '70s (before child kidnapping became a national worry), milkboxes had "Take your family to church" printed on the side of the box, with a sketch of a churchbound family, and that wasn't in an evangelical area.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

well i prayed to god for things to go well with this English guy i am seeing and now we agreed that we'll get married to get me out of the US so i am engaged now

it was me, i did this
God bless you both and your union.

Hillary is wearing purple and black, so maybe she's into liturgical colors? e: She just quoted Galatians in her peroration: "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not give up."

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 9, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

Wouldn't have to look far, either. The American right's distrust for Jews runs very, very deep.
Guys, there are topics we've historically avoided in this thread to avoid unresolvable antagonism. I think election analysis, as opposed to election grieving/joy, maybe doesn't belong in this thread? Although maybe this thread is all left-wing voters, I don't know?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Longsuffering totally is, and I am in despair today. I was more thinking of "The Democrats would have won if X", which is not a religious topic. But I'll abide by the consensus of the thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I spent yesterday evening tucked up in bed with my husband and daughter, each refreshing our devices, in near-total silence. Today I feel empty.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

does that article fail to take into account the entire rest of german popular culture

Is there a lot of poop in German popular culture? I mean poop jokes, not actual poop, which I assume the quantity of per person is probably pretty universal except in desert climates.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the entire material world works on monkey's paw principles, dehumanize yourself and face to gnosticism

:golfclap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

"as me semide" is "as meseemed", or "as it seemed to me".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Could I ask your prayers, for tam-nonlinear? She committed suicide yesterday in despair over the upcoming loss of her health care. (The details are from Elizabeth Bear -- matociquala -- Twitter.) http://tam-nonlinear.tumblr.com/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

please pray for the soul of Leonard Cohen, one of the great religious songwriters of our age. may his memory be a blessing

What the gently caress, 2016?

Imma be down in the catacombs till 2018. Send Mass cards and gin.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I find arguing on the Internet with people who (mostly) argue in decent and well-founded ways immensely comforting.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Matriorb? (ducks, runs)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

KataMary DaMercy.
Sir, Madam, or other, where would you like your Internet delivered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i think it's possible to have a biblical understanding of sexual morality and see homosexuality as sinful while also being a kind and loving person towards people who identify as homosexuals and treating them with full dignity and respect like you would any other person because the whole idea of christianity, it seems to me, is that none of us are righteous and we all need Christ and therefore have no place to judge.
The problem is that LGBTQ people have heard "love the sinner, hate the sin" too often, and somehow in action it always translates into "be unkind or actively cruel to the sinner". There's a whole lot of "We love you, but..." out there, and as we all know, anything that follows the "but" in sentences is apt to contradict the lead-in.

"I think homosexuality is a sin, but I respect LGBTQ people" -- does that translate into "I don't want my kids to know that sometimes kids have two mothers", or "it's too early to tell kids about that", or "I don't care what you say, you aren't really a woman"? Then yeah, it's bigotry. It doesn't matter one bit that you're "a kind and loving person", any more than it matters if you're "not a racist". The question is, are you doing cruel and unloving things? Are you standing by while other people do them?

Quoting Ms. Marvel, "Good is not a thing you are. It's a thing you do."

• Locked thread