Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Had a guy from Hong Kong tell us that we're all giant wimps in Canada when we get really bad forest fire smoke, the air where he is from is much worse.

SORRY I'M ALLERGIC TO FOREST FIRE SMOKE, guess I'm just being a baby when my lungs and throat close up!
Well la dee da Mr. "I don't want to induce COPD before I'm 70" aren't you well-to-loving-do! Didn't you know the only way to toughen up is constant low-level exposure to toxins? It worked in the Princess Bride.

-------------------------

I had to invest in a loving $400 interior car detail today with money I don't really..... have. It was a "this really can't wait anymore" thing--the car is a 2005 and hasn't been deep-cleaned once before I inherited it a few years ago--and it feels amazing in a way that is objectively worth the hustle it's going to take to pay it, but it's a stressful amazing. It's like when you're in one of those upper-class malls without a food court and designer-brand stores for brands you didn't even know had stores--yeah you're buying a high-quality piece of luggage that will last you through to your grandchildren, but just standing around reminds you of how poor you are in every other respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

$400 for a car cleaning lolwut. For $200 you could buy a steam cleaner AND a shop vac and do it all by yourself in 20 minutes. Nobody "has" to get a car cleaning. Are you entertaining diplimats or something?
"Hey I don't know anything about your situation, but let me try to take a big steaming poo poo on it while breaking the primary thread rule."

Believe me or don't champ. No one cares.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I work nights and am normally pretty good about righting my sleep schedule... but it's been 3 days into my time off and I'm sleeping in 4-hour blocks at the weirdest hours. It has me all wonked out. I'm still managing to be productive though, so that's good :unsmith:.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I have a nasty cold with a sore throat and I'm going to be around sick people at work tonight. I should call out, but I already have too many call-outs in the last year (despite ample PTO), and the Shift Supervisor is a bitch on-toast who scares my toughest co-workers including my bosses. This is the same woman who told me to "get over" my dead dog when I called-out two nights in a row after euthanizing her. It's a no-win situation, and the patients I'm going to be around are the ones who will pay the price.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not really. Any nosocomial infections would be impossible tie to me definitively.

I am capable of the work. I just shouldn't be doing it. A dirty secret in hospitals is that you're expected to show up unless you're actively dying... And even then when I actually was actively dying they gave me poo poo. I've seen people working with 103 fevers and vommiting.

The night has been ok, just unpleasant. We have full staff and good people, but I've had to literally grapple and subdue multiple dementia patients in between coughing up green sludge. I will sleep like the dead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I tried to call my mother a few nights ago to ask her for reassurance on an emotional matter and she mocked me on speakerphone with my stepfather and grandmother. I tried calling her several times the last few days to hash things out but she was always busy with buying a literal horse farm to fulfill some childhood dream. Tonight she finally answered, asking me to go to my grandmother's house after my shift to move furniture. I told her to gently caress off.

Aesop-- I don't think anyone would know what they're doing in your situation. Stay away from the obvious self-destruction habits and take it as it comes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Last night I had to accept that with my roommate and I probably parting ways when the lease is up next May, I really need to jam and get some poo poo together... which led me to some very very uncomfortable questions at 4 am in bed about my dog. She's stress-incontinent and badly trained beside, and 13 years-old. It's going to be hard finding an affordable situation with a stranger willing to put up with her, and hell I genuinely worry about her being safe while alone with someone.

As dark as it was, there was a real part of me that thought "no more vet bills, no more food, no more having to worry about coming back home very few hours, way more options for renting with a new roommate" and feeling insanely guilty for considering just for a minute that maybe it was her time. It's not her time. I bought her some washable diapers today to try out, and things could get better before May in a lot of ways... but gently caress me was that a bleak way to start my morning.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well my situation with my dog got worse.

I started to make her wear diapers because despite 13 years she still has behavioral issues and separation anxiety that was ruining my floors/couch. Literally the first time I go out for more than fifteen minutes to work, she hurts her leg severely trying to get them off.

My roommate was in VetMed and I have her on a Banfield plan so we got her seen and on gabapentin right away, but we're waiting to decide on the X-Ray and it looks very certain that she'll need one. At this point the best-case scenario is hoping that she just dislocated her kneecap and that it can be set right with mild sedation. In actuality I suspect the vet's going to want her cut open to make sure her CCL (equivalent to ACL) isn't torn and treat it if it is...

The dog is 13 and I legitimately can't afford that level of care. Am I wrong for thinking she'd be better off put down? How do I even advocate for that without coming across like a selfish monster? It's not like I want her put down. This dog saved me from suicide on multiple occasions, giving me something to live for in my darkest and loneliest moments. I just... I don't see her having much quality of life going forward. She'll still be in diapers, she'll still have to deal with me leaving her alone, only now even with surgery she'll have severely reduced mobility. Is it wrong to just want to make it simple? God I feel so loving guilty right now.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Oct 5, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Joburg posted:

Thirteen years of trying shows you aren’t just being selfish. Making the decision to euthanize her may be the kindest thing you can do for her.

If you talk to the vet about how her mental state is not getting better and how her QoL is degrading, leading to this injury, they may be willing to do it.

I’m sorry about your dog, it’s a hard situation for sure. :(

Thank you. The support and actual counsel about this means a lot. I love my roommate but I can't broach the subject with her because to her mind I just... have the money for surgery tucked away I guess? I can't even get CareCredit. The worst part is that I was rereading the terms of the Banfield plan-- even if I euthanized her, I'd still owe the company $50 a month until next May when the plan renews. They are very clear that death doesn't end that contract.

I just want my girl to not hurt. That's literally it.

MisterBibs posted:

Can my internet connection be, like, just up or down, or at the very least give me a sign of what's going on? Computer says the connection is fine, router lights are on, but total coinflip on if I can actually connect to a website or not. Oh, and the coin flips every 5-10 minutes on an independent timer for everything that needs the internet. (website works! Steam doesn't! Wait, now it's the opposite! Wait, both work! Wait, no, neither do!)

This is also a mood. Our connection crapped out because it was installed poorly last Wednesday. We got someone out on Friday to fix it, but now I'm getting 1/10th of the speed. Despite the router reporting the speeds it's rated for and other wifi devices getting what they're supposed to, my ethernet connection is crap. I bought a new cable, did a fresh install of Windows 10 and updated all drivers, and manually configured the ethernet port to be rated... and got it up to a whopping 1/5th of the speed I'm paying for. Plus now my CPU is chugging for no discernable reason other than "it's old" despite it working fine literally three days ago, and I am ready to scream.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Oct 5, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

My hedgehog Urchin might have hedgehog wobbly leg syndrome. There is no medicine. There is no cure. He will eventually not be able to move his back legs, then all legs will be paralyzed. He doesn't run on his wheel anymore. At most, we have about a year. At least, a week or more.

One of my snakes fell yesterday (or the night before) and landed badly on a branch in her cage, and she has a nice inch gash on her underside. You cannot bandage a snake, so I got some skin sealant and had to set her up a tiny papertowel covered tote to live in for a while.

I am sorry to hear about these. You are a good owner and they are lucky to have you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well the good side is that my dog has begun to get on the mend, so probably no euthanasia.

The bad side was that my entire afternoon got eaten by another lovely Banfield. My roommate recommended me get the Health Plan and while I don't blame her because she hasn't worked there in 5 years, in the past 1.5 years I've had nothing but the same types of bad experiences with them and I strongly recommend everyone avoid them as a chain.

Like if you get their Health Plan and you truly don't want to do anything that's outside of the box on said Health Plans-- just go in a few times a year for vaccines, bloodwork, and a dental cleaning-- you're fine. They're perfectly good at that.

But if you need literally anything like "build a relationship with a doctor" or "ask for pharmacology recommendations for long-term management of symptoms" or really reasonable things like "the front desk takes notes on your information and files it so the staff has up-to-date information on your case" and "not get hassled with upsells for tests/products you don't need" then you're poo poo out of luck. I'm stuck on this plan until May but I am absolutely not reupping when the time comes. Until then I'm going to make as many appointments as possible and loving force them to treat my dog right out of raw attrition.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

My temperature dropped precipitously low during the end of dialysis yesterday, and then spiked to 104F over the next hour or so. I resolved to go to bed and see if rest helped, but I called the triage nurse first; she told me the same thing, but to keep an eye on my temperature overnight. It fell back to normal ranges by the time I woke up, but I still got a call telling me to come in for antibiotics. So I did. Spent two and a half hours of my afternoon getting an IV drip that probably wasn't necessary. (At least I don't have COVID.)

When I got home, I found out that my ex has been painting me as the villain in our breakup, despite the fact that a) they broke up with me, and b) they broke up with me because I was trying to mend bridges between them and someone they'd gotten into an argument with. They demanded I choose sides - literally everyone else or them - and when I said that was a hard decision, they made it for me. And now I'm apparently a hate monster because I didn't side with them immediately. :sigh:

My day-to-day problems are very small compared to most people's, I know, but I'm still frustrated.

Those problems are not that small on a relative scale and I'm sorry you're stuck dealing with them. The universe can eat a dick for all the crap it's throwing on you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I am having a really depressed day and I loving hate it. No matter how much I know better, I can't stop my feelings. I'm trying to focus on better thoughts and actions, and it's already been two straight weeks of fighting it, and I'm still so miserable today. Life isn't even that bad, but gently caress me I can't focus up. I hate my loving disorders. I hate my long loving memory. I hate this loving society and I hate that the only people who agree are almost as incompetent as I am.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I am at a loss for what to do with my lovely loving roommate.

Three straight weeks she's been hosting her loser FWB hook-up because she's lonely, and not only does she refuse to ask him to chip in on rent/utilities or even do chores, she didn't even let me know he was essentially moving in. Meanwhile if I so much as ask "How long is he staying?" I get a very hostile "I don't know." The last time she did this and I pushed on the very reasonable point "If I did this with a girl you'd be asking for our heads on pikes. Why can't he chip in?" she threw a loving tantrum for weeks.

I'm stuck on the lease with this jerk for at least 5 more months, and I don't know what to do that isn't throwing down a gauntlet and escalating. That's why she's being such an abusive poo poo. She knows my only options are to basically nuke the household. Not going to lie, I'm tempted to though. The lack of courtesy and respect she's showing is ridiculous.

Christ I hope I can save up enough to get the gently caress away from her in 5 months. Why do moving costs have to be so loving high?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

What does your landlord say about another person moving in?
That's what I mean by "no option left but escalate." That would work, but then it creates an even more hostile environment for the remaining 5 months while I struggle to scrounge up the money to move (I'm working 3 jobs already and can barely afford my bills). My roommate is very petty and vindictive, and I leave my dog alone with her. She's already pulled the insane move of contacting my girlfriend behind my back to try and complain about me, then blowing up at her when she told my roommate to kick rocks. She thinks I'm that I don't know that she did this.

I'm sure I could find a room somewhere that I could afford, it's 100% saving up the moving costs and the fact that even one unexpected event could send me into serious trouble.

quote:

Tortoise hut heat lamp fell today. Thankfully my mom was home, not at work, and caught the smoke before there was a fire.

So we had to shove all our tortoises into the old hut (think a supersized dog house) for the cold night, while we figure out how to fix the heater/make a new setup. The irritating thing is we've had all year to do it, but every design I had didn't work, and the dude who built it kinda messed up by adding a floor, so we also found, when digging out all the smoky straw, that some box turtles dug under the thing, and were crushed/couldn't get out and died.
How many floors is a habitat normally? Also I'm sorry about those box turtles. It sounds like you guys have a lot of work and little time to do it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Biplane posted:

It sucks but you didn't create the lovely situation - your roommate did. You not escalating things because you don't want to rock the boat further is what she's banking on. Escalate the situation. Things are going to be lovely so why not make them lovely for her too?

Captain Invictus posted:

Make sure anything you truly cherish is off site before you do imo
Yeah this is why I'm not escalating-- my elderly dog is at home and has to be left alone with her for hours at a time. She's already abused the poor girl. My dog is admittedly neurotic but terrified of my roommate in a "this woman did something to me and I don't feel safe" way. I already have a camera hidden and haven't seen anything, but at some point in the recent past my roommate definitely did something to gently caress with her.

The upshot is I did some serious budget work and realized that if I'm careful and nothing calamitous happens, I can afford to move out. It'll be tight, but it would have been tight anyway. The only problem is that there will still be a 1-2 month gap (minimum) where I have to break the news to her "I don't want to live with you anymore" and I'm worried about spite. I don't think she'd cause serious harm to my dog, but I still don't like taking the risk, you feel me?

But yeah you're right-- I didn't create the bad situation. I really didn't. I've always paid my bills on-time and kept the place clean. She's the one who decided that wasn't enough to respect and that she had to impose her will on me, and refused to deescalate when confronted. A rando might not be much better, but it's also a good chance to downsize and up my mobility, which I want to do anyway because my long-term plans aren't tied to this region.

I'm just broken-hearted. I really did think better of her. I'm sure she would say the same about me.

LeafyOrb posted:

I just found out my dog has cancer, we won’t know for a few days what kind, and my Mom’s work is threatening to send her in to help with patient care (she’s an office worker for a hospital with no medical training). Right now it’s voluntary but they said it might become compulsory.
Well that sounds illegal af. All the places I've ever lived won't let you within farting distance of a patient unless you have at least one certification. I hope she has some legal recourse if they try that crap.

Mikl posted:

Depression, impostor syndrome, and RSD hitting at full force today. And I have lots of stuff to do so crawling back into bed until everything goes away is not an option.
Strong mood. I hope your day ended up alright.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, that really sucks on toast. I've been afraid of that having had kidney issues in the past. I'm really sorry.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I am obviously not a doctor, but masking is very common with my condition and it can be a very hard habit to break. It is entirely possible they're not communicating to these therapists their angst well-enough. It's buttfucking ridiculous, but we are all still humans and even highly trained humans often fail to recognize anything is wrong without obvious, outward manifestation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is minor compared to an injured back but I'm going to complain.

I don't know why but I'm apparently a magnet for the worst loving gifts. Like every year the few people I surround myself with seem to collectively get together, decide "wow gently caress that guy" and buy me useless crap that 30 seconds of critical thinking would tell them I don't need and would never need, much less want. My mother bought me a loving long-sleeve sweater after I moved to a hot climate. My roommate bought me a 4-pack of gross gag soda after taking over the house for 2 months with tile drilling for her Etsy store, during which she'd literally shove checks for thousands of dollars into my face to brag. My girlfriend heard my shoulders hurt and while she meant well, she honestly thought a $20 electric massager from Amazon was a worthwhile gift solution, despite me telling her that my foam roller is all I need and that electric solutions don't really work.

All these gifts have done are given me work to stealthily get rid of them in a way that won't hurt their precious feelings. All their gifts did were give me chores.

And I'm loving poor. I should be the easiest giftee in the loving world. Get me socks, underwear, loving cleaning/cooking supplies or other housewares. Get me any $20 worth of stuff I would hate to spend unexpectedly. We're in 2020 and it's the loving plague year, and we know it's not getting better. Stop acting like now is the time to "get something you wouldn't normally get for yourself" or "something fun." It's not loving fun. I'm not having loving fun getting rid of Peanut Butter and Jelly soda. I'm not having fun having to lie to your face and pretend that hard plastic knobs I have to lay flat on just to use are in any way effective at treating muscle pain. I should not have to explain why I don't need a sweater in a climate where the average temperature is 76F.

I would legitimately have rather gotten nothing. I really would have.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LeafyOrb posted:

Oh cool my other dog stopped eating, and had to be put down due to internal bleeding from cancer he suddenly had. Cool cool cool. It’s been 4 months since we put the last one down. 2 dogs to zero in 4 months. Awesome great fantastic thanks. Definitely not destroying me right now.

My heart breaks. You don't deserve that. Hold on and let the mourning happen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plethora posted:

Today i realized that I spent my entire quarterly bonus on food. I'm not even fat.
Also i have zero passion in existing since my life-project died which means I've been living is stasis for two years going through the motions with no soul behind it. I have no idea how to regain that passion and am terrified to admit that it's probably over for good.

You might still be in mourning. Don't rush the loss of something major. Feel the pain, don't cling, let it go. Let yourself find something new. It doesn't have to be your life-project mk. 2, it doesn't have to be grand, it doesn't have to be anything ambitious. It just has to be something that fills you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really don't hate my job, in-fact a lot about it is nice, but it's absolutely not where I "should" be (e.g: it's not part of my career track, I'm not suited to a big part of the job, but I'm too good at it and too reliant on the (barely adequate) pay to just quit/get fired. It's generally awkward as gently caress just being there). I'm stuck at least six more months working on other things until I can hopefully get lucky and transition out. It makes some days difficult.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think I accidentally lead on a co-worker and today I basically rebuffed her advances, and now I'm in that super-awkward stage where she's deromanticizing me and I'm feeling like my every move is a silent critique on why I'm unlovable and how she could have ever been attracted to me. This would be easier if my girlfriend wasn't currently completely unavailable due to things in her own life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My job is having staffing problems. We need about 3 people to do this job and we're stuck at 2. I'm doing the best I can with where they put me but no matter where I go stuff falls on the people above me and so they shuffle me around. I'm not going to let them burn me out, but it's frustrating because I know management is basically just playing musical chairs with who in the department they're going to piss off each day until something gives. It's even more frustrating because I have found a niche I'm good at and would like to do every day, but it makes my colleagues resent me because it's marginally less taxing on the body than other roles. And it's not going to get better until/unless they find people for what is ultimately a pretty esoteric role that doesn't have a lot of longevity. Even now I'm training to transfer, I just have to hold on... I just don't want to do it burnt tf out. I do not have the support structures in my daily life to accommodate that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dear brain: stop getting sick. It's not loving cool.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm really grateful I have the kind of job where you can hustle and it pays off by you getting to finish early, but it's had the nasty side effect of my colleagues thinking I'm their mule. I wouldn't even mind that except I walk in on them talking poo poo about how I'm always "hiding away" (read: doing my job) because god forbid they have to wipe their own asses and earn their own keep.

Glad I have tomorrow off. I really grinded hard today and it paid off, now my colleague gets to be reminded hard of just how much I actually do for her.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

got my flu shot.

didn't take long to start feeling like absolute garbage. hopefully it goes away soon so I can accomplish poo poo this week.

Mood. Flu shot Friday and COVID booster today. Feeling like absolute trash.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My body needs to get the loving memo that when we're in bed, and in position to sleep, it's time to enter REM sleep. Flush the chemicals, repair the muscles, lower the body temperature, all that good poo poo. Waking up after a full 8 hours of sleep feeling unrested is unconscionable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agaragon posted:

Before I start, this involves pet death and cancer. Don't want to hurt anyone while they read my rant.

So, I recently spent ten days house/dogsitting. One of the dogs, a 9 year old Great Dane, had what her owners, my mom and stepdad, thought was a "She forgot she's old and did some puppy jumping when we weren't looking" inflammation around her wrist joint. This happened right before the trip, she'd done stuff like that before, so they told me to give her pain medication and ice it over. I did, and it seemed to stay the same size, maybe a bit bigger. She could still move around, albeit limping, and did. I thought that it wasn't healing because she kept using the joint. The same dog otherwise, still played, still slept a lot because she was old.They got back two days ago, decided to bring her to the emergency vet yesterday.

Osteosarcoma.

So, 24 hours after getting back from their very nice trip, they have to make the decision that Xena was way too old to put her through any treatment. One day back, and they had to tell themselves "Okay, she's had a good life, we can't make her suffer for more time with her. Let's just enjoy what time we have left."

The next day she wouldn't stand up. They rode off with her a few hours ago to get her put down.

Two loving days.

That's why they call Great Danes a heartbreak breed.

I know people who kept theirs going until age 11 with some Herculean efforts-- laser therapy, acupuncture, hydrotherapy, literally standing the poor guy up and dealing with his massive stool incontinence multiple times a day-- and even though he was still the sweetest old man it was very, very clear that QoL just isn't worth the effort even if you can afford it and make all the necessary efforts.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

The loving Boomer Brained idea that "sitting = lazy" for any kind of service job when they sit the entire shift for THEIR managerial job.

It keeps employees anxious and mentally worn-down, and over many months/years creates microinjuries and other complications that makes them less physically able to rally themselves. It's sick poo poo and you should fight or run from any place that tries it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

it's great when you get a new therapist and while bringing them up to speed you see all the red flags of past practitioners who jerked you around and wasted your time. Dude gets one more shot tomorrow and I hate how much he got to live in my head rent-free while my attempts at communication either fell flat or were dismissed. Thankfully it wasn't a long investment, and I didn't have high expectations because he's just an LCSW, but still he was attached to a center that promised way more than they've delivered.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

My best friends never texted me to say anything about the gifts I got for them and their kids

Oh that's the worst because then it's always "Oh I was just so busy" but odds are they weren't too busy to open the gifts. Still, you have to let them when they do such things. Fighting it only makes it worse. Move forward and prioritize yourself better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Got bullied a shitton coming into work today to the point where I had to go up the chain to my boss, which was embarrassing. I acquitted myself as well as I could but goddamn I'm tired of this office. I would have moved on literally years ago if I could have.