Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My dachshund, Chester, couldn't walk yesterday. Took him to the emergency vet and they confirmed it was a slipped disc. He stayed there overnight and got a surgeon consult and CT scan this morning.

Even with surgery he has maybe a 50% chance of ever walking again, and reduced quality of life.

I'm in a bathroom stall at work just trying not to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My wedding was in 10 days.

WAS.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Congratulations!

Well, it was because my fiance died, so thanks, I guess.

No, she's fine...well, she's alive, but I bet you'd feel like real poo poo if that WAS the reason the wedding was off, eh?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Yo, safe space goes both ways, and with a vaguepost (which is okay) whaddya gonna do?

You're right, sorry to you goons.

Just working through poo poo and shouldn't be taking it out on others.

Already had to make a bunch of awkward phone calls to friends and family last night, now I've got to make a bunch more to the wedding venue people, photographer, etc... to cancel and say goodbye my money.

And to top it off, my dog still isn't able to walk after slipping a disc and having emergency surgery last month, and I twisted my ankle REALLY bad on Saturday and I"m still limping along and in a bunch of physical pain to match my emotional pain.

It's been a real fun month.

EDIT: Well, just left the ER...the twist/sprain of my ankle is a break... I've been walking on a loving broken ankle for 4 days. Just a real nice topper to everything else.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Sep 19, 2018

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I just moved into a new place, literally Sunday was my first night there.

Came back from work Tuesday and can't find my new house key. I hadn't put it on my keyring yet because I wanted to make a copy to keep in my car or hidden outside in the woodpile or something. Well, that's and I get for procrastinating that.

No way to get in the house last night... All three doors are deadbolted, and the windows are all new, double pane windows that would be VERY expensive to replace of I had to break them.

Called my landlord, who's just a regular owner of the house who recently moved to Florida, and he had no neighbors or nearby family with a spare. I thought maybe it fell out of my pocket here at work, but since it was already 7 PM and I work over an hour away, in said gently caress it and spent the night at a friend's and am borrowing some of his clothes today.

Well, my key is not here at work... Looked at my desk, in the parking lot near where I parked yesterday, all throughout my car, checked the security desk, no one turned it in to lost and found.

I have one hope, and that's that I can go to the hardware store, get a copy made of the key to my parents house, cause it's the same brand/key blank, and buy a small file and attempt to make a bump key.

If that's a no go, looks like I'm paying for a locksmith.

Edit: Bump key did not work, I'm assuming I'm doing it wrong, all those Youtube videos make it look so easy. I found out that the garage and basement windows can be shimmed open with a pocket knife...the garage one opened just fine, but the door from the garage to the house was locked, so I had to go to the basement. The problem there is that the basement window had a storm window on the outside. I tried as best I could to jimmy it open, but no go...so the storm window had to go. Smashed it good, shimmed the inner window, and got inside. Managed to only cut my hand up a little, and I can easily fix a pane of glass in a storm window.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Dec 6, 2018

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I ran over a pothole last Friday that, because it was full of snow, I didn't see. It completely ruined my tire...flat, hole big enough that I could hear the air whistling out of it as I tried to fill it back up enough to limp home.

Finally got around to going to a tire place today, and they tell me that:
1) The tire is too damaged on the "shoulder" so it can't be fixed, needs a new tire.
2) That tire make/model is not made anymore, the newer version is sort of close, but not close enough so they really want to order two to replace both front tires. Naturally, they don't have them in stock, and only have 1 size winter tire for my car in stock but it's so different I'd have to get all 4 replaced. I'm generally wondering if I need two.
3) The city, who sometimes will pay for your tire repair if it's because of a pot hole, can't give me any answer if ANY of these will be reimbursed because they just give it to the insurance. So now I play The Waiting Game to see if I can get any money back.

So right now they have the estimate for 2 tires and I just have to wait to see what they say, I'm assuming they'll be cheap fucks and say that I absolutely cannot get two new tires, and in fact, they'll only approve 1 used tire, or some BS like that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pales in comparison to other people's problems, but it looks like my car will need a $300 part to fix some transmission issues that appeared out of nowhere this weekend. It just became for for an inspection this month, too, so I'll have to get the part and install it first since it trips the check engine light, and with labor it would easily be over $600 to have the shop do it vs myself.

And my other car had a busted sway bar link, so while I should be grateful I am solidly middle-class enough to own two vehicles, in the end it just means twice as much repair and maintenance costs, too.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, boot his rear end. Deadbeats aren't your responsibility to reform unless he's a like a long time friend or something, and even then there's a point when you have to cut them off.

Gotta be careful, though. Depending on where you live, and how long he's been there, he likely had tenant's rights and queserasera can't just 'boot his rear end.'

If there's no signed lease (which I'm guessing is the case) then it's probably a 30 day notice though some places have less, some more, but almost certainly can't just kick him out right away.

Context:

Locked my keys in my truck while I'm at a park and ride after getting dropped off from my carpool.

My truck has this very annoying quirk that's common on a lot of cars where it locks the doors right after you start it. I had to recharge my AC, which requires the engine running. So I open the driver's side door, pop the hood, stick the key in the ignition, start it, (all while just leaning into the car, so door still open) and without thinking close the door to recharge the AC.

Door is now locked, engine running, keys in ignition.

gently caress me.

Had to wait almost an hour for my GF to get to where I was with the spare key.

And my AC is still not really working right...so now both my cars have broken air conditioning ( I have a car and truck, was driving the truck cause it's AC worked until recently.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I FINALLY, after loving MONTHS of waiting, got my name off my old house's mortgage and title after my ex did a refinance. I have been looking at homes online in a site my realtor set up for me where houses automatically get added in when they go on the market. Several have come on and off the market in the months I've been looking, as I expected, and I haven't been able to see anything in person because of being on the old mortgage still (since I don't have the income to support two mortgages at once, obviously.)

Well, that paperwork got finished last week Wednesday, I talked to my potential lender to get started on pre-approval so I could start looking at houses...and the one I really, REALLY wanted is gone. It had been on the market for a while, over a month. No price reduction, unlike everything else that stays that long, so I figured it was just some stubborn sellers, but I might have been willing to past asking price if it was as good in person as the pics looked.

Everything else that isn't a loving condo or mobile home goes so loving fast it's unreal. Another place I really liked was listed and then updated as being under contract in less than a day.

What really pisses me off is the lender my ex used to do the refinance dragged their loving feet and the process took easily a month longer than it needed to. If it had been done quicker, I could have had a chance to look at 2 or 3 places I liked in person and perhaps made an offer on one of them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Conversely, my company has said everyone* is working from home for 4-8 weeks starting Monday, and if possible, today (thy basically only want people in the office today to get stuff they'll need, like a laptop docking station and monitors, plants at their desks so the don't die, etc...)

*The exception is those employees who are designated on-site for customer support...which I am. The joys of working as an IT contractor.

The customer I am assigned to full time has not made any sort of formal plans, though there are a lot more people who are doing remote/WFH and we're getting more equipment requests to get people monitors, etc... to WFH and we're pretty much out. But I don't think we will ever be told to do WFH ourselves, because, as my manager here likes to say,
"How can anyone possibly work from home? What can you accomplish?! You have to be here to do things! The flu kills far more people a year than corona, no big deal!"

He is Peak Boomer, knows better than anyone on anything. He hated work from home BEFORE this, for anyone, both IT and our customers.

We only have like 2 or 3 confirmed cases in my state, but 1 of which is in my county, and has a shaky, but plausible, line of transmission.

One of my coworkers spent time with a guy who's friend is now in self-quarantine because his coworker is that confirmed case...or something like that?

So it's like:
Confirmed case guy -> Coworker of infected (in self quarantine) -> Friend of coworker -> Coworker -> Me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Went to my bank's online portal to pay a couple bills, and my account is VERY low.

Was wondering if I mis-timed a CC payment or something, but nope, just good ol' fashioned check fraud. Not sure how they got the checks, but they're OLD checks, like, ones I thought I used up a long time ago because they are my address from about 2010.

But Scumbag #1 and Scumbag #2 (two different checks with two different names) just decided to fleece me out of ~$1000 between the two of them.

Already called the bank and the police (I expect THAT to go nowhere) so I'll get the money back, but it's a matter of time and meanwhile, I'll likely NOT be able to pay my utility bills on time, though thankfully just being a few days/week late won't incur any penalty, but I hate looking like a "deadbeat".

And naturally, I did some googling on the people who cashed the checks, and nothing really on one of them, but the other...woo-boy, a piece of work. Granted, MAYBE he was just railroaded by our terrible justice system, it's possible, but the list is long and includes pretty much everything you'd expect and some you wouldn't. Burglary, larceny, and sex crimes. One was filming his friends rape an underage girl, and the other was basically kidnapping and rape, though it looks like it was plea'd down to something less "serious", but he is on the sex offender registry.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Went to my bank's online portal to pay a couple bills, and my account is VERY low.

Was wondering if I mis-timed a CC payment or something, but nope, just good ol' fashioned check fraud. Not sure how they got the checks, but they're OLD checks, like, ones I thought I used up a long time ago because they are my address from about 2010.

But Scumbag #1 and Scumbag #2 (two different checks with two different names) just decided to fleece me out of ~$1000 between the two of them.

Already called the bank and the police (I expect THAT to go nowhere) so I'll get the money back, but it's a matter of time and meanwhile, I'll likely NOT be able to pay my utility bills on time, though thankfully just being a few days/week late won't incur any penalty, but I hate looking like a "deadbeat".

And naturally, I did some googling on the people who cashed the checks, and nothing really on one of them, but the other...woo-boy, a piece of work. Granted, MAYBE he was just railroaded by our terrible justice system, it's possible, but the list is long and includes pretty much everything you'd expect and some you wouldn't. Burglary, larceny, and sex crimes. One was filming his friends rape an underage girl, and the other was basically kidnapping and rape, though it looks like it was plea'd down to something less "serious", but he is on the sex offender registry.

It has now been over THREE weeks, and I have only gotten 1 of the bad checks refunded to me.

I have called 2x a week since the first case, and the bank keeps closing out the fraud case for the larger check without telling me why*. When I call, the customer service rep opens a new case, but tells me they can't see why the fraud department closed the previous one. I asked to be transferred to the fraud department, but they can't do that, they just send them a message and they'll call me...and they never have.

The most recent call yesterday at least gave me an email to send additional info to, so I did make use of that. I send images of the fraudulent checks along with one of a legit one so they can see the handwriting and signature don't even REMOTELY match.

*With one exception. I was out of town for a few days, and in that time, I got a letter from the bank saying they closed my fraud case (the SECOND one I had to open,) because they tried to reach me and I never responded...but they never tried. No missed calls, no other letters, no emails. Still no explanation why the first or third fraud cases were closed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Great, the Johnson and Johnson vaccine has been pulled because 6 people got blood clots.
Six...out of 6.8 million people vaccinated. Granted, I'm not an epidemiologist or immunologist or any sort of doctor or scientist, but that seems like REALLY low odds.

I was scheduled to get that vaccine today at 1 PM but not anymore.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Biplane posted:

My laptop died for good I think and i can't afford a replacement

And I had a dream where a spirit showed me a "bad" version of myself, sitting in a basement doing acid and listening to nine inch nails, playing dungeons and dragons with my big titty goth girlfriend and our friends. Motherfucker this is way better than my actual life, gently caress!! Was so shook i couldn't fall back asleep so I am tired and extra gruntled

Thanks to lots of laptop replacements/upgrades at work, I've got laptops coming out of my butt (I'm saving them from the e-waste dumpster because they're generally still good.)

PM me if you want a slightly used, 3-4 year old Windows 10 machine. Free of charge.

Captain Invictus posted:

This is on a plastic shelf unit, rather than in a cupboard. I put all the bags of rice in a plastic grocery bag, tied it up, and stuffed it in the freezer to kill them off. There's nothing else on the shelves that is susceptible to that sort of critter, so that's good.

there always seems to be that one box of [stuff] in your cabinet or shelves that gets infested by something but doesn't look like it from the outside, so when you go to use some occasionally, you're greeted with a nightmare.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me five or six years ago. Pantry moth larva in one of those rice-mix boxes (like Rice-A-Roni, but different brand.) Unfortunately, I had a LOT of things improperly stored in my cabinets (flour and rice just in the bags they came in, loosely closed, half open boxes of pasta) so to be safe almost all my carbs had to go.

Although it could have been a good excuse to go keto, heh, but in the end had to use a couple bug-bombs in the kitchen to be sure.

Content, though in comparison to the rest of you mine sort of pales...but have been applying to new jobs, and it's just frustrating to get constantly rejected. I feel like I will never move on from my current position because although I work in IT, I've never had any formal training, it's all been on-the-job training on an "as-needed for this one specific thing" basis. So when all these interviewers ask if I have experience with XYZ, the answer is typically no...or "very little."

Guess it's time to just start lying on my resume and interviews, huh?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Jun 9, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I work for a small, local IT company, less than 100 employees.

At the start of October, we were informed that we were sold/acquired by a large, multi-national IT/computing company. Not going to say the name, but it's quite large and pretty much everyone knows of them.

So now we're all in a state of limbo not knowing who will or won't be let go (we all have assurances to at LEAST Jan 1...woo,) plus just the whole rigmarole of switching benefits, etc..

We've barely gotten any info the past month, only a tiny bit about their health plans and 401(k) but still not ENOUGH info, and open enrollment starts in a week and most of is still don't have access to the benefits website.

I'm already looking around for a new job, but IDK, I've applied to a few the past year or so and none have gone anywhere past an interview, so I guess I'm just a lousy candidate?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I work for a small, local IT company, less than 100 employees.

At the start of October, we were informed that we were sold/acquired by a large, multi-national IT/computing company. Not going to say the name, but it's quite large and pretty much everyone knows of them.

So now we're all in a state of limbo not knowing who will or won't be let go (we all have assurances to at LEAST Jan 1...woo,) plus just the whole rigmarole of switching benefits, etc..

We've barely gotten any info the past month, only a tiny bit about their health plans and 401(k) but still not ENOUGH info, and open enrollment starts in a week and most of is still don't have access to the benefits website.

I'm already looking around for a new job, but IDK, I've applied to a few the past year or so and none have gone anywhere past an interview, so I guess I'm just a lousy candidate?

As an update, things are still poo poo.

We officially moved over to all of their systems (HR, benefits, insurance, payroll, etc...) Jan 1. Today was supposed to be our first paychecks and like 80% of us did not get them deposited.

I'll be fine if it takes a while to post, even several weeks, honestly. But for all I know there ARE people that work here who are paycheck to paycheck, or just have auto-debits and transfers set up expecting that deposit. Not everyone uses the account their paycheck goes to as their main account, so it might get overdrawn if it's "expecting" a paycheck.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

One of my uncles had a heart attack today and I'm not sure he'll make it. My mom told me he coded 6 times already, had to have CPR done multiple times, and was airlifted from the first hospital to a better one almost immediately after getting there.

And then also today my GF told me her mom's house flooded and she has no where to live, so we've got to try and find at least a temp place for her
She's a legal permanent resident, not a citizen, but is always nervous that "something" will happen when she has to find a new job or living situation that would rescind that. Which I'm not sure is even possible? Her residency status isn't dependent on her job or living situation, as far as I know? But it means a lot more headaches for me GF as her mom calls her like 3 times a day.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I might have a small kidney stone. Weird pains in my lower abdomen since Wednesday, and starting today I've occasionally felt like I was about to pee while just sitting at my desk, and had to do that clenchy maneuver to stop myself.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My cousin is probably going to pass away soon.

He was rushed to the hospital the day before Easter, and he is in end stage liver failure. I knew he was a bit of a drinker from late teens to early thirties, but I guess no one knew how hard a toll it took on him. He has been better the past few years (not sober, but just what I would say a regular 30-something year-old guy drinks) but the damage has been done.

It's so severe, he's not eligible for a partial transplant, so he has to wait for a full liver. He's at least in a moderately sized metro area, so..uhh...the "donor pool" is bigger, but it's still not very likely.

He's only 40, same age as me, we grew up together, graduated HS together, etc...

I'm one of 21 cousins, aged 33-51, and obviously no one lives forever, but none of us would expect the first of us to go would be so soon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

All I was doing was changing the oil in my girlfriend's car.

Now it won't move/shift into gear. Engine starts and runs just peachy with the fresh oil... But it won't go anywhere, and I don't know how the gently caress it happened. All I can think is when I lowered the car back down from the jack it hit the driveway a little hard, but, like... Not THAT hard. I've driven over speed bumps and pot holes that were worse than that.

It's been on its last legs a long while, and she hit a big pothole the other day, too, so maybe the combo of everything just finally took its toll.

We have a spare vehicle, but...it's also not great. A 24 year old truck I have just for "truck stuff" (bringing trash to the dump, hauling lumber, etc) and now it has to be a daily driver so I don't expect it'll last much longer, either.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

It seems to be shifting into the gears, because I can go to neutral to push the car. And reverse, and only reverse, seemed to barely work. But I had to rev it a lot and it seemed to slightly move, but that might have just been the car rolling backwards?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

God, I am stupid. Just, like...Grade-A idiot.

Someone with more car knowledge than me probably read my post and went
"Hey, DrB...was that car, by any chance, an early aughts Subaru?"
"Yes, it is!" I'd say. And they'd go,
"You moron. Subarus of that era have screw on transmission filters that look just like oil filters. Only a big loving dumbass like YOU would actually think the transmission box is the oil pan, though, and drain it."
"Oh," I'd say, and slink away slowly.

Which means not ONLY do I now have to buy another oil filter, I also have to buy a new transmission filter AND transmission fluid (to be fair, it probably was due for an ATF change as well.)

But it also means I REALLY overfilled the oil since I didn't drain the oil, but then just put in like 4 more quarts. Again, someone who's NOT A MORON would have noticed this (check the dipstick? Why would I do that? It says after an oil change it needs 4.4 quarts, so that's what I put in! :doh:)

Of course, since the car isn't GOING anywhere and I only had the engine run for maybe like a minute total, I don't think any real harm was done? But it's just more time and money into what should have been, like, a $45 and 30 minute task.

Edit: although some of the blame also falls on Subaru for designing transmission filters that are the exact size and shape as their oil filters.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Sep 28, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

oldpainless posted:

To this day, this very day, I don’t know the difference between a break and a fracture

:ssh: There is no difference.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The loving Boomer Brained idea that "sitting = lazy" for any kind of service job when they sit the entire shift for THEIR managerial job.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

To hop on the "back pain" (and general pain) train (but not literally hop, that would cause me back pain):

I've been dealing with pain primarily in my right heel since last July. Diagnosed as bursitis and slight tendonitis of the Achilles, all due to a weird "deformity" I have in my heel called Haglund's. It's basically like a bone spur.

I've finally got a date for surgery in May. When you add in the recovery time (the surgeon said 50/50 chance it's a shorter 4-6 weeks, or longer 10-12 weeks) I'll be almost a year of having this pain. And because I've had to off and on use an orthopedic boot, or crutches, or both, or (currently) a cane, I've got pain in my back, knees, and hips from using these items that, in theory, help my foot, but then do damage to the rest of me.

My gait and posture is all hosed up. Even on good days when I can walk with very minor pain and don't have to use a tool or limp, I find myself instinctively walking with my foot sort of splayed out to the right because that was the only way on the bad days I could walk without pain in the foot, but that's REALLY bad for my knee.

I've started some PT to address the issues, but I guess this just turned into a rant about healthcare in the US and how slow everything is. Initial visit to the urgent care was Jul 7. It actually was already starting to get better then, the doctor there did basically nothing.

Had about three weeks without pain, it came back in early August. Off and on the rest of the month, went back to urgent care on Aug 24, got x-rays, some slightly-better-than-OTC drugs (just an arthritis medicine), crutches, and a referral to an ortho clinic. That was on Oct 31, the nurse practitioner there did some looking at this and that, and scheduled an MRI...for Dec 1. Then after THAT it was January to go back to the ortho clinic and the same NP who reviewed them and said she would bring it up on rounds (or whatever it was called) to the surgeons to see if they wanted to do surgery, give me a cortisone injection, or whatever else.) and she got me an ortho boot.

End of January I meet with a surgeon and he said keep using the boot and crutches as needed, and he'd follow up in March to see if I wanted to get put on the surgery schedule. The first weekend of march I was in the worst pain I've had since it started, some of the worst pain in my life. I couldn't walk at ALL. I actually collapsed from the pain one morning, and if I wasn't right next to the bed, I would have fallen to the floor.

The next Monday I do a video conference with the surgeon and ask to get surgery ASAP...and it took until last week to even get a day for the surgery, and it's mid May. And even after explaining the level of pain I'm sometimes in and the difficulty I have getting around, I still font' get a prescription for any meds. I'm told just to take NSAIDs and acetaminophen.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ugh, taxes.

I guess I should be mildly excited about them, since I know I'm getting a good chunk back because of a federal rebate from buying a heat pump last year. But it's still a slog to do, especially since I KNOW I probably shouldn't even BOTHER to try and itemize since the standard deduction is so high now, but I'll still type all my mortgage and tax poo poo in that software to compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

My cousin is probably going to pass away soon.

He was rushed to the hospital the day before Easter, and he is in end stage liver failure. I knew he was a bit of a drinker from late teens to early thirties, but I guess no one knew how hard a toll it took on him. He has been better the past few years (not sober, but just what I would say a regular 30-something year-old guy drinks) but the damage has been done.

It's so severe, he's not eligible for a partial transplant, so he has to wait for a full liver. He's at least in a moderately sized metro area, so..uhh...the "donor pool" is bigger, but it's still not very likely.

He's only 40, same age as me, we grew up together, graduated HS together, etc...

I'm one of 21 cousins, aged 33-51, and obviously no one lives forever, but none of us would expect the first of us to go would be so soon.

It's been about a year, my cousin even got a liver transplant last summer and was in and out of the hospital and rehab things were looking up for a while,

But he got COVID-induced pneumonia, and because of the immune suppressants he had to be on from the transplant and overall health still not being where it was, he passed away this morning.