Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Had intense pain in one of my upper right molars wednesday night, went to the dentist thursday after work, they were like "you've got an infection in the root of this tooth, you need a root canal. Here's a recommendation and some antibiotics." took'em and went to bed because it was like 4 hours before work and I needed SOME sleep. Only got 2 hours before waking up to intense pain around 10PM, called the recommended local root canal dentist and went to leave a message asking for an appointment the next day, find out they're closed on fridays and won't be open until monday. Went to work after taking some ibuprofin. four hours in it wears off, and I'm back into Intense Painsville for the rest of the shift. To the point I was literally shaking in pain. Like, imagine someone pinched a good, sizeable part of your cheek, hard. Then twisted it, and didn't let go. And every single beat of your pulse, it would throb and stab pain through your head, relentlessly. No mere toothache, the entire right side of my face was throbbing agony. I resorted to using the ice machine to fill a big bag and periodically refilled a sandwich bag with ice to slightly dull the pain. It barely worked and I was constantly checking the time to get out ASAP and get some stronger painkillers at home.

Finally got out of work, went to get another recommendation for a dentist who does root canals from my general dentist, and they sent me to a place a half hour away. Get there, spend like an hour filling out paperwork and figuring out insurance bullshit, get in and sit down, get x-rays taken(they insisted despite me having ones already taken the day before), dentist pokes around in my mouth a bit with the mirror/pick combo. Sets up to begin operating, but first asks me to sign the confirmation form for the root canal price. I've had a few root canals before, always been 250-350 bucks out of pocket. This place wanted $1,078. Up front, immediately, in full. Insurance only covered like 700 bucks of the 1800 total cost they charge there. I was like "yo that's nearly two paychecks worth, I can't do that, I got a mortgage to pay" and they were like "we understand, we'll change this to a consultation instead" and I was like "that's cool, sorry for taking your time"(even though the entire office was empty of patients). So I go to check out and everything, secretary hands me a bill for $180 for the consultation. Supposedly insurance will kick in and reimburse me for most of it, but still, gently caress off with that. They didn't even do anything besides take x-rays they didn't need to.

Then I got home and my dog Rosie is injured somehow, I don't know how, we're taking her to the vet tonight. She keeps slipping and falling, and I think her back is injured. I don't know how it could have happened, and she was totally fine last night. But she's leaning to one side, head tilted to one side, and has bad footing and keeps slipping, so I hope it's just a back injury at worst and not a stroke or something. :(

(old photo)

edit: good news to balance out the bad poo poo from today! Rosie only has Vestibular Disease(and possibly an ear infection), which should clear up in a week! Yay! Here's some photos of the poor girl while she was at the vet! She tried to do the full body shake thing dogs do and wound up sending herself flying because she's got no equilibrium right now

ghost dog

OH NO, HOIVS

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did you know fruit flies can apparently survive in a fridge? Because there's fruit flies in my fridge. I purged everything from there that they could use as a home base, but I don't know where they originated from.

Time to break out the apple vinegar/dish soap combo and get annoyed by the little bastards for a few days until they all make their way in there, I guess

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
At around midnight I was woken abruptly by screaming that wouldn't stop. Turns out it was the horrific screaming winds outside, and I could see the silhouettes of trees flailing around wildly in the 70+ mph winds. I couldn't sleep upstairs, was too terrified of one of the large trees around my house falling on it, so I slept unsoundly on the couch downstairs. Woke up in the morning and went outside to survey the damage, a bunch of roof shingles were all over, and an entire row of trees in my side yard were thrown to the ground in a big row. The space between the tree in the center-left and the tree on the far right used to be full of trees, now there's just a big ol' void.

Haven't had power since last night, and no signs of the power company. Apparently half a million people in massachusetts are without power right now, and on the way to my dentist I drove under a maple tree that was just casually resting on some power lines over the road.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found out my stepdad very, very likely has renal cell carcinoma in both of his kidneys. And it may have also metastasized. The doctor said the multiple shadows on his kidneys have an 85% chance of being cancerous. They can treat it with immunotherapy, because radiation and chemo both are literally useless against it, and as long as it hasn't metastasized, he has a chance at curing it. If it has though, he's turbofucked, and even if not, it's a long recovery and he will suffer a lot since immunotherapy apparently is intensely awful to endure.

This has been a real bad couple of weeks, hoo boy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My space heater broke. Good thing Amazon gets stuff here quickly and it's not the middle of winter yet.

InediblePenguin posted:

good morning the police are at my house because my 14-year-old sister threw the kitchen table at our mom because she can't go to Dave and Busters because she's grounded for stealing from her teachers at school
is your sister she-hulk?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In addition to feeling generally crappy the last few days, I was out shoveling tonight and suddenly heard my neighbor scream "JAAAAAKE!" and saw their two German Shephard puppies dash down their driveway and right into oncoming traffic. One of them got hit, luckily the car slowed down a lot, but then the driver took off. I tried to dash inside to grab my keys and give chase but they were long gone by then, so I went to try and get the dogs who thankfully hadn't seemingly been grievously injured and had continued down the road together. The owners had managed to catch up to them and get their attention with treats, and got them in leashes and eventually back home, but it still loving simultaneously bummed me right out to see a dog get hit by a car, and also loving INFURIATES ME that the driver bolted. gently caress hit and run drivers, they should all be kneecapped.

Edit: and now I heard an audible "CRACK" sound and a big ol chunk of tooth just broke off one of my molars, which is just awesome

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Dec 12, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I saw this article.

https://mobile.twitter.com/usweekly/status/939268426358493186?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

gently caress anyone who tries to defend owning anything more than a hunting rifle.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my mom got fired from the lovely place she worked largely due to top-level management loving up a major contract for the company and then finding any excuse to fire people to shrink the workforce. It wasn't a great job and the pay sucked, but she enjoyed it and loved all the people she worked with, and people were crying when they found out she got fired. The CEO gave a completely nonsensical memo to everyone a bit ago about the contract fumbling, and ensured that things would continue as-is, but in reality of course that meant over a quarter of the entire company was fired within a week.

Basically, eat the rich.

Also I've been bedridden since saturday and so I'm super worried about finances since I've not been able to work. I'll be able to get a single day in this week. And thanks to the congestion and throat/sinus garbage I sound like marge's sisters from the simpsons, it's uncanny.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I think I have depression depression. I took prozac for a few years before joining the army, but stopped during and even during the transition to the national guard after a few years. Guard ends next month so I've been trying to distract myself by taking online classes and getting a new much higher tempo job a few months ago.

After the gf broke up with me last month (but still living together until March, lease) I've just kind of closed in. I woke up this morning wishing I hadn't.

My dude, trust me, it's bad now, but it gets better, you just cannot give up. If you give up, getting back up is that much harder. I realize this sounds like an empty platitude, but it does matter, and despite the gf/roommate situation, there's always more people out there to meet. She just wasn't the one, there is someone out there for you. You just can't stop hunting for them, or you'll never find them.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Dec 29, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone broke into my dad's apartment and stole a kettle, a pair of pliers, some other miscellaneous things, and three framed family photos of me as a baby, my now-deceased sister as a baby, and my dad with the two of us on his knees with a note written on it from my sister saying "I love you dad <3"

Normal breakins don't generally have something like this happen so I have a good idea who did it, but no proof. Dunno what to do. Stealing family photos is a specific attack on the person. Not sure where they got in either. All the locks have already been changed but still, it's a terrifying thing, and dad is...quite angry, but tired. He was about to move out and this seems like an explicit move as a final gently caress you from his neighbor who he's had issues with in the past.

Dad's going to talk to the local police about it but I'm not sure if they'll do anything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So my dad found that his locked filing cabinet had been cracked open and a handful of important, private documents stolen as well when the previous breakin happened. He found the spot where the windows were pried open so the intruder could get in. He reported this to the police and they said they couldn't do anything about it. Is he just hosed? Is there nothing that can be done? Like, we know who did it. It's an explicitly personal crime, you don't steal family photos and personal documents and nothing else unless you're making a statement, this is super clearly a feud taken too far, and there's one person in particular who would do this specific thing.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

UPS is absolutely a garbage company that I avoid using if I can. I feel the frustration.
As someone who has worked for UPS for a long time, I can say, there's far worse(Fedex/DHL), but USPS tends to be better than UPS. Also, it's a union shop, and unions are good and we need more of them. That said, the upper management has definitely gotten shittier ever since they went public. The explosion of ecommerce has completely obliterated many hubs, making people deliver things every 20-30 seconds sometimes. They've increased the workload like 30% per worker with very little to no increase in benefit for the workers. It's bad. They need to increase the workforce and delivery vehicles as well as the pay, which hopefully the next contract(early august) negotiations will do something about. Currently no new hires stick around because the starting pay is garbage and you don't get benefits until a year in. Hoping that changes so they can start retaining more new people. I don't have much confidence though as based on the letters from teamsters lately, the UPS corporation is sitting on its thumbs over contract negotiations and the current anti-union administration running the country doesn't help at all either.

To put it into perspective, the building I work in was designed about 35 years ago to do around 20,000 packages per hour throughout it. It is currently doing about 29,000-35,000 per hour on average each day, on largely the same equipment as back then, maybe upgraded a bit but still the general layout. This is in addition to increasing the size of packages eligible to be shipped in brownies(delivery trucks), weight limit used to be 50 pounds, now it's 70 before it's labeled as bulk, and still gets delivered via normal truck until you hit 150lbs when it gets sent to UPS freight.

I do agree the driver should have knocked, and certainly a lot of new hire drivers don't give a single gently caress(they sometimes hire right off the street instead of having people work their way up if there's not enough drivers), but the volume has ballooned massively in the last ten years forcing drivers to go from 60 seconds per stop to a third of that at times, and they're still pulling 10-12 hour days average. And the top tier management and shareholders are hogging the money rather than using it to improve things, poo poo, they're looking at six billion in pure profit in 2018, but they're not really putting much of that back into the company. And that's a huge issue apparent with many corporations, not just UPS, but I see it firsthand. For the last year I loaded the brownies and they simply aren't big enough, even the biggest ones, to deliver the amount of packages required. I would routinely fill the truck's shelves floor to ceiling, then fill the entire aisle of the truck as well because there was no room. It's real bad. And that's one of the larger, more well-equipped hubs they have, too. I imagine smaller hubs are just getting their assholes blown out on the daily.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 04:34 on May 26, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ugh, ever since dad told me his personal documents and sensitive stuff like his social security card had been rummaged through and many stolen, I've been on the verge of a panic attack, because we know who did it but nothing will be done about it. I wanted to confront the dude and try to be reasonable with him, but I know that's just my naivete and inherent hoping for the goodness of my fellow man coming into play and not what I should do. When it was just the photos and miscellaneous poo poo, I was super hosed up by that but was like no, let it go, those photos can be replaced, even if one had a note from my sister on it. But if the guy has dad's personal documents, who knows what he might do? And if there's other people's info in there, he might involve them, or me/my family as well. It's pretty terrifying. Someone who is willing to A: break into someone else's home over a grudge and B: steal family/baby photos is someone who has serious issues.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Who is loving up the company doesn't matter; shipping with UPS is a hideous experience. I feel for the brutally exploited workers in that situation but you know what? I have had a 0% rate of good experiences with UPS recently. "But it's union!!!" won't change that. They've mangled multiple packages and completely refused to fix their own gently caress ups on one I had sent. If the upper management wants to wring the company for every cent they can while pillaging the company and driving off all the good people then things won't get better and I for one won't ship with UPS if I can help it.

I'm well aware that upper management is the problem and you know what? gently caress 'em. After having mangled packages show up, getting totally dicked over when trying to ship things, and watching them completely half-rear end delivery I'm not shipping with UPS.
I'm aware your branch seems to be particularly garbage, and I'm not saying you have to. But Fedex and DHL certainly aren't much better, as a whole. I've definitely had more packages just outright go missing with Fedex, and they even once delivered an empty, open flaps box that clearly was supposed to have something in it to my front door. I've also had a boot hole in a UPS box. It can often be who's handling your package that is the factor there. I was mostly explaining why it's getting so bad, I'm totally for you not using them if they've consistently hosed up your stuff. I really, really hope contract negotiations improve between now and august, and better staffing and such becomes more normal, because that means less stuff backing up, less packages literally exploding under pressure from the weight of the packages behind them on the conveyor belts, less stressed and angry employees taking their anger out on packages, and less haphazardly handled stuff as people try to keep up with the volume.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My favorite packages are the ones that they don't give a gently caress. A pair of shoes shoved in a ziploc freezer bag with a label slapped on it. A used, grease-soaked pizza box with 18-inch diamond-edged sawblades in it that tore right through and gouged a rift in the concrete floor. A box of goldfish crackers used to ship pottery with no packing material whatsoever, which obviously didn't survive.

Anyways, more lovely day stuff. Mom was getting ready for work and tripped on something, bouncing off a barstool as she fell, cracked 2 ribs and bruising her rotator cuff. She's getting on in age and was trapped where she fell, I had literally just crawled into bed and heard a loud thud downstairs, lucky I got up to check what the sound was because she couldn't get up by herself. After a trip to the doctor she's doing better though, painkillers certainly help.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My mom got a great new job with great benefits that she SORELY needed and decent pay a month ago! She started three weeks ago. Two days ago they hired a new CFO. Yesterday the new CFO as his first action eliminated the entire section of the company that includes my mom's position.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The UPS Teamsters union voted unanimously to not accept the new contract, as it is bad and likely a poison pill to dump the entire union from UPS down the road.

That's not the bad part. That's great actually, that people paid enough loving attention and also voted(54% of all union employees! That's a loving lot to vote in a non-obligatory vote for anything!) and chose not to eat the poo poo UPS corporate is trying to shovel in our mouths for the next half a decade minimum.

The bad part is that Jimmy Hoffa, no not THAT Jimmy Hoffa, but a SUBSEQUENT Jimmy Hoffa, who is in his 80's and doesn't give a poo poo and is probably getting paid off by either UPS itself or some other, darker money handlers, is choosing to ram the contract down our throats regardless of the wishes of the union members. This has caused a crisis in the Teamsters chain of command as you can well imagine. I'm really not sure what's going to happen, but Sean O'Brian, the guy aiming to replace Hoffa, has been gunning for him long before this shitshow and the knives are well and truly out now.

There's rumors of ousting Hoffa outright, it's basically the equivalent of a constitutional crisis, but in this case, nobody's tolerating it like people seem okay with letting trump get away with. With the head of UPS buddying up with trump and his cronies, I have to imagine something's happening behind the scenes with them.

Basically, this could very well set up for wrecking my job(and many others) in a decade or so, and folks are loving pissed. Hoffa seems to want to repeat history.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Oct 9, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bertrand Hustle posted:

How many fuckin' Jimmy Hoffas (Jimmies Hoffa?) are there?
His son.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_P._Hoffa

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I sneezed this morning and got a lightning bolt of pain in my lower back, and since then I've been feeling low-key out of it because of how much it hurts to:

-sit down
-stand up
-sit down leaning forward (had to do some soldering today)
-sit down leaning back
-reach for something that's not directly in front of me (reaching for TP on the shitter really hurts)

it also kind of feels like I have to poop. I put some cbd salve on my back at lunch but it hasn't helped a ton :(
one of two things likely happened. One is the good one, one is the very bad one. Good one: you wrenched a muscle in your lower back when you sneezed, which has happened to me multiple times over my lifetime, and it super sucks but if you take some ibuprofin and put some muscle cream on it or get a muscle relaxant you should be good after a day or two. Very bad one: you slipped a disc, which is absolutely possible from sneezing, and can super gently caress you up and will likely require surgery.

Based on you being able to move at all without disabling agony, I'm going to go with possibility one rather than two.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
on the bright side, you don't really actually need your toenails.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Today is my sister's birthday. I forgot.

She was murdered 10 years ago, my memories are fading, and it hurts a lot to realize that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, recently I found out my mom's best friend is like, hardcore trump possibly Qanon crazy shitbag. And boy trying to explain to my mom why that is a bad thing to associate with didn't go well. She was pretty normal until, and this always seems to be the catalyst, she started watching fox news religiously. Broke my mom of that before it took hold, but her friend went full bore down the rabbit hole.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One of my favorite streaming personalities just milkshake ducked herself super hard, she had said some dumb things before in the past, but this is just flagrant. Like jesus :yikes:

Yardbomb posted:

Oh, okay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you ever put icy hot on any part of your body even remotely near your balls, just wear underwear(briefs) and if it gets on those, so be it. better that than risking it getting on your tenders, it's like dunking your nuts in a deep fryer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Leavemywife posted:

It's muscle spasms! I hate this. I can walk, but only for a little bit, and I have to stand just right or it hurts like hell. I can't actually sit down for very long, which really sucks. How am I supposed to poop!?
I know it's not something you're really supposed to take as gospel, but maybe ask in the goon doctor about it, and someone may be able to at least provide some advice on keeping yourself from overexerting the muscle or tendon that is affected? You could take a picture of the area and color the specific location and post that, when I showed the exact stretch of my arm that was hurting, my doctor was instantly able to identify what it was. Someone in there may be able to do a quick and dirty diagnosis. Of course it's no replacement for a real doctor, but I understand you're in a bad spot financially and insurancewise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doverhog posted:

You have now glimpsed the big nothing that lurks behind every corner, every granted wish, every achieved goal. Maybe you should read a book it about and see if someone else encountered it before?
Also, and this is not a joke, seek therapy. A good therapist can help give you some solid goals and purpose. I have absolutely hit rock loving bottom before and after burning through about a half dozen therapists I didn't click with, I met a really good one who helped me a whole lot. There's not a lot going necessarily right in my life right now, but I'm still happy despite it, largely thanks to their help.

If you're nearing 40 and having this experience, congratulations, you've hit the midlife crisis. Don't buy a camero or motorcycle, you'll probably die.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Easy solution, stop using facebook

I work at UPS and pick off packages on a conveyor belt to send them down the corresponding chutes to trucks below. Well one of the drivers somehow managed to tear the rear trailer doors off of the trailer he was pulling off, resulting in them taking this truck with about a thousand boxes in it back around to the unload and sending all of it right back at me again in one big shotgun blast of cardboard to be sorted into a replacement truck. So I had to sort through an entire truck's worth of poo poo a second time right at the end of the night when I was getting ready to go home after a long day. Good poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You could try switching to a union-based starting rung job like loading/unloading at UPS or such, which at least provide some semblance of employee protection once you get into the union, but retail unfortunately only provides suffering and not much else.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My schedule for next week is basically 4:30 pm to 4:30 am each day, except friday, which is 4pm to probably 4:30 am. Christmas shipping time can suck it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol well if Ukraine and Russia go to war then that'll manage to upend my lovely work schedule for lovely thing of the day I guess

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Literally minutes before I was headed to my lunch break I got into a minor altercation with a driver at work and his superior immediately rushed over shouting and sided with him, doing the threaten-your-job-to-shut-you-up thing that lovely bosses do and belittled the job I do, despite the other guy being just as much at fault(and not being able to actually threaten my job). And then I stewed on it all through my lunch break because of course.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zore posted:

A plane crashed into my loving office. Holy poo poo am I glad it was Saturday and no one was there.

Now I need to do about half a million dollars in insurance claims for all the equipment that got damaged in the fire
that...that's...wow. it's hard to top that one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zore posted:

We're right across the street from a small private airport. It was a Cessna and the pilot/passenger both died but luckily no one else was injured.
jesus. was this it? I wanted to see what it looked like since, well, I was surprised that your workplace survived at all, but it actually looks in better shape than I thought it would be, even inside. drat, that's a hell of a fireball, I'm glad everyone inside made it out!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got a new 4k hdtv to use as a monitor, worked great!

A week later, it won't detect the PC and I don't know what the gently caress. Had to leave for work but the pc is still working AFAIK since it made the USB connection noise when I plugged a thing in, but it's not connecting to the tv and I've got work stuff I need to get done asap on it once I get home. Really hoping it'll fix itself somehow in the meantime but I'll probably have to hook up my old 120 pound hdtv again if it doesn't and pray that it's not the hdmi port on my card being busted or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy moly, friend of mine (also my supervisor) was helping me as I was getting bombarded with work, another guy on the belt came to help and my friend asked him to go do something specific. The guy jokingly said "Aw cmon, isn't that what my ancestors bred your ancestors for?"(guy is white, my friend is black) and I immediately threw a padded envelope at him and said "what the gently caress, I don't ever want to hear any of that bullshit out of you again" and now everyone is awkward and I'm going to have to report the guy and gently caress, how is this guy THAT stupid to think it's acceptable to say that(at all, let alone at work)?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should absolutely invest in a backup if you haven't. Two separate, and keep one in a separate location if you can, like a safety deposit box. Better that than losing it all to a major malfunction, things can often be regained but best not to risk it(and it's probably cheaper to just have backups anyways)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Thin Privilege posted:

Were you ever prescribed an inhaler for this? I've had horrific colds loving my lungs and my inhaler was a godsend.
It may be worth picking up one of these if you can, I used one when I was very sick recently and it was useful at breaking up gunk in my lungs and made it easier to cough out. Feels weird, but not bad, you blow into it and your lungs vibrate. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mikl posted:

I woke up with an extreme case of pinkeye, for whatever reason, and I spent the whole morning sitting in my GP's waiting room. I waited more than four hours total, including getting looked at by a nurse who said "welp this looks bad, we'll get the doc to look at you posthaste" ---- THREE HOURS LATER ---- I get my eyes looked at by the doc who said "Welp yes that looks infected, here's a prescription for some antibiotic eye drops".

So I lost an entire morning, and now I have to use eye drops four times a day for five days in a row.
Eye problems suck, good luck with that. I had the cornea sliced off my right eye and the bandage contact lens they put on it whole it healed was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced (eyeball has no nerves, but the inside of the eyelids sure do), it banged against the inside of my eye socket and it was nearly indescribably painful. Think of it this way: as soon as I fell into REM sleep it caused me to bolt upright in bed screaming.

My day wasn't great, got like 2 hours of sleep, woke up soaked with sweat from a nightmare and three separate phone calls at hour and a half intervals from various places woke me up shortly after I'd gotten back to sleep after the previous one so i dont think I even got any "proper" sleep. And now I'm at work for another 12 hour shift. Gonna be great

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8foDBekOYM&hd=1

I've been following these guys for nearly a decade. Their podcast has been an incredibly good part of my week listening at work because not only was it funny but they hit on a lot of pop culture news I didn't get to follow in general in a pretty short time span, had lots of good guests, and got into the nitty gritty of things like fighting games that most other channels didn't. Their let's plays were often fun but it was getting more clear that Matt wasn't really feeling it in the last year or two, and I'm at least glad they didn't have a total nuclear meltdown like, say, the Game Grumps when Jontron went full nazi. Nine years, though. That's a hell of a run for a daily let's play channel. Gonna miss these guys, though at least Pat and Woolie will be continuing to podcast, though under what framework I guess we'll see.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And they don't stop comin'...

Just stopped in to visit my dad and saw he set up the Christmas stuff including the tree, stockings, etc like he always does. But I noticed he set two out, one for me, and one for my sister. She's been dead for ten years now. He's still shackled by losing her :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I finally finished peak season at work, have a bunch of time off before I have to return. Went to shoot the poo poo with some buddies on steam, noticed one hasn't been on in a while, and when I went to their profile to see if they left an away message, instead find a bunch of comments of varying forms of RIP, miss you, etc, apparently he died a few months ago and I never knew, and I'm having a real bad time about it, both at the loss and not knowing, but also the pretty real possibility that I'll never know, he's just basically vanished into the aether for me. This is what sucks so much about entirely online connections.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. I forget his SA name, it might've been the same, but his steam name was Markgreyam. Makes me think back a few years to when I was talking to another goon on steam, Micnato, and he suddenly started rambling about hating himself, that the world was joyless and he just wanted it to end, and that he was going to grab his shotgun and go deep into the woods where nobody would find him, and blow his brains out. I desperately tried to find ways to track him down IRL, to contact authorities or anyone to stop him, but it was fruitless. He never logged back on. He probably got what he wanted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
no, I know. I did everything I could to talk to him about it, to try and get him to seek help, but he wasn't having any of it. It's more that I will never know what happened to my friends, because I never knew their personal info, just their screen name, because many folks like to have their online persona and offline persona and keep them separate. But because of that, people I'm otherwise very close by the things we talk to on the daily(like, for example, his depression) can just vanish forever the next day and I don't even get a grave to pay respects to, because I don't know who they were. And this now makes me question every person on my friends list who hasn't logged in in weeks/months/years, even though I know that's a pretty irrational fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm assuming you asked in the designated phone etc subforum about this? Someone there may be able to help out with that, they're pretty good with quickly figuring out hardware issues like that in my experience.