Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Simplex posted:

I think there has to be at least several dozen sports journalists who wrote pages long eulogies praising Muhammad Ali and his activism who then turned and crucified Kaepernick 3 months later.

gently caress off. There's no comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

warcrimes posted:

You are correct, Kaep did not refuse to fight in the Vietnam War.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

warcrimes posted:

In all sincerity, I'm not sure what you mean.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I think he means that Ali is one of the greatest of all time at his sport, and the generosity of his life and legacy will far outlast his mortal existence.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

warcrimes posted:

Can you explain whether or not this is in reference to their talent levels or the righteousness of their causes?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chilichimp posted:

I think he means that Ali is one of the greatest of all time at his sport, and the generosity of his life and legacy will far outlast his mortal existence.

Which is a really weird and ultimately pointless distinction. As I don't think that is at all what he meant by the comparison.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Chichevache posted:

Can you explain whether or not this is in reference to their talent levels or the righteousness of their causes?

Yes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol of course.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

When Kaepernick gets signed as the Raiders backup quarterback, warcrimes will have a sudden change of heart.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think Ali would have appreciated Kaep's intent and action and I think it's perverse to compare an old man's lifetime of achievement to a young man's first foray into political activism.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

King Hong Kong posted:

When Kaepernick gets signed as the Raiders backup quarterback, warcrimes will have a sudden change of heart.

:toxx:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

If this happens, I will have a lunch of McDonald's cheeseburgers and KFC coleslaw and a dinner of P.F. Chang's.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

King Hong Kong posted:

If this happens, I will have a lunch of McDonald's cheeseburgers and KFC coleslaw and a dinner of P.F. Chang's.

same

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Cavauro posted:

Keep Track Of Adam Jones

Folks, Adam "Pac Guy" Johnes told a police officer, "“I hope you die tomorrow,” and “You’re gonna be out of a job tomorrow.” Keep Track Of Adam Jones

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Cavauro posted:

Folks, Adam "Pac Guy" Johnes told a police officer, "“I hope you die tomorrow,” and “You’re gonna be out of a job tomorrow.” Keep Track Of Adam Jones

Pacman confirmed goon

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Nominating Carr

Ostentatious posted:

https://twitter.com/derekcarrqb/status/829706951286149120?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

"child labor is cool" - derek carr, qb of ostentatious' favorite football team "the oakland raiders"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh come on, are you serious? Teaching your kid a little bit about how to handle money is actually good for them. When I was little we did a lemonade stand, sold M&Ms for our cub scout pack, and later I had a newspaper route. It's not "child labor" for your parents to teach you about recycling, how working for money works, the value of entrepreneurship, and no 7 year old could collect 10k worth of recycling by himself anyway so that's obviously what the family has made working together or something.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Collecting bottles is not child labor you dipshits.

efb

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
the douche thread is extremely petty and full of dumb emotional responses you say??? Whaaaaaa??? :crossarms:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Collecting bottles is not child labor you dipshits.

efb

I mean if he actually made 10k returning bottles I'm pretty sure he's trapped working at a bottle gulag.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Kid is working in a drat scrapyard to make 10k

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Imagine how much we would like Carr if he had read that article and decided to help that kid pay for school. You know, like a good person would.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The implicit corollary to Carr's tweet is, "if a kid can get off his butt and put in the work, what's your excuse for being destitute??" He's parroting the rich guy platitude that all you got to do to make gobs of money is work harder, not offering parenting advice.

I mean he's not going to win the tournament, but we need to fill out the lower seeds.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh, also, I nominate Tom Brady for allowing himself to be used as a prop to promote a white supremacist's agenda and deflecting when asked about it.

And Bill Belichick for the same thing, and also writing this:

quote:

Congratulations on a tremendous campaign. You have to help with an unbelievable slanted and negative media and have come out beautifully. You have proven to be the ultimate competitor fighter. Your leadership is amazing. I have always had tremendous respect for you for the toughness and perseverance you have displayed over the past year is remarkable. Hopefully tomorrow’s election, the results will give the opportunity to make America great again.

Best wishes for great results tomorrow,

Bill Belichick

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
edit: nevermind

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 10, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

fsif posted:

The implicit corollary to Carr's tweet is, "if a kid can get off his butt and put in the work, what's your excuse for being destitute??" He's parroting the rich guy platitude that all you got to do to make gobs of money is work harder, not offering parenting advice.

I mean he's not going to win the tournament, but we need to fill out the lower seeds.

Fill it with Spanos brood

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

That's a pretty dim interpretation. He is basically saying "hard work pays off and nothing gets handed to you."

Not everything needs to be interpreted through the lens of right/left or rich/poor.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

It was a scholarship, actually, he didn't make 10k gathering cans.

Wait until Carr finds out the spoiled little poo poo took advantage of welfare!

a neat cape posted:

Fill it with Spanos brood

Seconding the Spanos nomination.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That's a pretty dim interpretation. He is basically saying "hard work pays off and nothing gets handed to you."

Not everything needs to be interpreted through the lens of right/left or rich/poor.

He specifically invoked a dollar amount and said the kid was doing it to put himself through college. What are you to make of a person who cannot afford college when you're employing his brain dead logic?

I know he's not pouring over Ayn Rand essays when he writes his tweets, but there's more to the subtext than just "working hard is good."

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

It's probably just self-motivation. Ameer Abdullah tweeted the same thing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Shangri-Law School posted:

It's probably just self-motivation. Ameer Abdullah tweeted the same thing.

Seconding Ameer Abdullah for the douche contest.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I too wish I had 3 adults humoring my childhood interests by taking on a part-time job for no pay wherein I was the boss in an effort to make enough money for me to attend college.

The best part of this story is the Dad not giving a gently caress outside of just making his son happy.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

fsif posted:

oh gently caress off

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

warcrimes posted:

oh gently caress off

Don't talk about my quarterback!!! gently caress off!!!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah there's no need to be rude but it's not fair to read into some tweet and assume the guy is calling bootstraps or has some political agenda just because he's praising a kid's family for teaching entrepreneurship at a young age. Just because the internet is rife with bootstraps libertarian garbage doesn't mean you get to auto-profile anyone who makes that kind of comment as a douchebag of that stripe.

I mean this isn't the nominations, either, but when we get to them, feel free to nominate Carr for this, I don't care about that. But it's quite a stretch unless there's any other evidence to support the idea Carr's a Randroid.

"Get off your tail and go work hard 4 what you want" is absolutely bland standard-issue motivational cheerleading from a Football Role Model addressing The Youth.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I second Carr because gently caress the Raiders and it makes warcrimes mad

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Donald Trump for not dissolving the Packers through executive order.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Is there a "cool player" thread?

https://twitter.com/mosesbread72/status/830226873858695168

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I want to go back in time and punch Mike Smith until he works out Michael Bennett in 2013.

• Locked thread