Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh dang I was about to make this thread but it already exists!

I feel we should obviously recognize formally in the douchebag thread the monumental act of douchebaggery just enacted by noted multiple-year-douchebag-of-the-year-nominee Dean Spanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They won last year so they can't win again this year but Baylor still deserves to be mentioned in the tracker thread, yes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Are we really going to make DotY the people who got away with violence against women award? That's not very fun.

Anyway, throw Mark Davis on the pile.

Well, this is sort of the year-long tracker thread, it's not even the nominations for DotY. I don't know if Ben Has A Tiny Weenus is going to suddenly reappear on the forums, but if not, I'll probably be running DotY again this summer. I'll continue to apply the general rules that make the thread be more about douchebags than criminals, although there's always going to be an overlap fuzzy area.

Fortunately, Baylor won last year so I don't think it can win again. Last year we didn't do a lifetime achievement, I think I'll add that back in. Might make some other small adjustments or whatever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think Ali would have appreciated Kaep's intent and action and I think it's perverse to compare an old man's lifetime of achievement to a young man's first foray into political activism.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh come on, are you serious? Teaching your kid a little bit about how to handle money is actually good for them. When I was little we did a lemonade stand, sold M&Ms for our cub scout pack, and later I had a newspaper route. It's not "child labor" for your parents to teach you about recycling, how working for money works, the value of entrepreneurship, and no 7 year old could collect 10k worth of recycling by himself anyway so that's obviously what the family has made working together or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah there's no need to be rude but it's not fair to read into some tweet and assume the guy is calling bootstraps or has some political agenda just because he's praising a kid's family for teaching entrepreneurship at a young age. Just because the internet is rife with bootstraps libertarian garbage doesn't mean you get to auto-profile anyone who makes that kind of comment as a douchebag of that stripe.

I mean this isn't the nominations, either, but when we get to them, feel free to nominate Carr for this, I don't care about that. But it's quite a stretch unless there's any other evidence to support the idea Carr's a Randroid.

"Get off your tail and go work hard 4 what you want" is absolutely bland standard-issue motivational cheerleading from a Football Role Model addressing The Youth.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is not the douche of the year thread, and nobody is writing anything down. I think this thread's purpose is to provide a place to note specific douchebag events, for reference when the annual award thread goes up? Or whatever, I didn't organize it.

Point being, do what you want but I wanted it to be clear I'm not using this thread to collect nominations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you're famous football man Greg Hardy, you can plead down felony cocaine possession to a misdemeanor and probation:
http://www.fox4news.com/news/239448662-story

2 years probation, $500, community service, and he's getting back to training for his soon to be amazing MMA career!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So it looks like Ben Has Tiny Weenus started last years' douchbag awards thread on May 16th. I see no reason to deviate from that, so I'll be starting the new thread in a couple of weeks.

Now would be a good time to post any requests or demands or feedback as to format and content.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Content wise, can we please get it set in stone that being a woman abuser isn't douchey (it's worse) but victim blaming or downplaying DV is totally douchey?

Yeah I mean I kinda agree with you, but I don't think I can write a document that comprehensively established what is douchey and what is too nasty to be douchy. Also Big Rapey Ben has established a precedent.

I think it's OK for goons to disagree on those lines and argue about them in the thread, provided it doesn't get too creepy or start resulting in reports and probations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a further complication; acts, however douchy, which were punished, are ineligible for consideration. So someone convicted of rape and sent to jail can't be in the douchebag of the year awards (or at least, not for that act of rape).

But someone who allegedly committed an act of rape, and then was not convicted, can only be presumed guilty by goons, without the standard of evidence that is required in a courtroom.

So, do we want to engage in a debate in the douchebag of the year awards as to whether or not someone accused of rape, who is "probably" guilty? I would suggest we do not. It would be better to instead vote such a man as a douchebag because of the douchebaggery surrounding the accusation, their douchebag defense in the media, the douchebag ways they (and their team and supporters) tear into the possible victim while making excuses for the possible rapist, etc. If such a man were, say, Ben Roethlisberger, we could say he's a huge douchebag without having to make some kind of solid determination that he definitely legally raped someone. Each voting goon is free to decide that for themselves, but we'd be voting on the basis of how shittily the entire affair was handled and how big of a douchebag Ben was in particular for the way he handled it.

That's a fine but I feel fairly important nuance. I think Shiki Dan captures it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's the contest thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821505

Also, I suggest we close this thread and start a new one for 2017?

• Locked thread