Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Problem description: During times of reduced noise in youtube, movies, and video games, my headphones will cut out entirely. They will resume sound after the volume reaches a certain percent, it seems. It's very disorienting and annoying when listening to dialog, because anytime there is a pause for a second, I can hear the audio cut out, then pop back on when speech or noise begins again.

Attempted fixes: Restarting my computer, checking for updates, trying different USB ports for my headphones, etc.

Recent changes: No. This has happened before, shortly after I upgraded to Windows 10, and I fixed it then, but it seems to have come back, and the previous remedy doesn't seem to work anymore.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64 bit OS.

System specs: i5 3570K, 8GB ram, GeForce 970. I really can't remember the rest, but this had nothing to do with my problem last time.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. In fact, my search question came up in Google from my last search, and so did the same dated support.microsoft.com articles from 2012/2013. So far, I've tried right clicking my speaker, playback devices, communications tab, and choosing Do Nothing. This is what I did last time, and that fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Might just be an issue with your headset, and not with Windows itself: I had a headset once, which did the same thing (a Vivanco). My current headset (Logitech H800) doesn''t care about the actual volume, but turns off once the system volume is set below "5".

Did you try other headphones yet, if available?

• Locked thread