Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

FactsAreUseless posted:

You're dealing with two items, basically, not three. You're discussing two sets rather than three individual choices. One set has a 33 percent change, the other a 66. Of that second set, one item in the set has a 0 percent chance of having a 66 percent chance, and the other has a 100 percent chance of a 66 percent chance. So you always switch to the second set.

Exactly. You have to think of it as choosing an answer set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

The best laugh I had at Holt was his giggle over a marshed mellow.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

HookShot posted:

Archer gets around it by not being funny in the first place.

Sorry about you being dead inside

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

try the new taco place posted:

Jake and Boyle casually ruining that poor dude's life was a little too real/close to being actual police for my taste. Also, the lifted plot/resolution/beats from The Office's Branch Closing was kind of lame. HOWEVER, everything regarding Hitchcock was gold.

Holy poo poo go outside for a while

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

The guy who was trying to get a job as a drug courier with a criminal organization to fix all his life problems? Because that was surely going to work out great for him and his family.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Megaspel posted:

I know plenty of people who have been in the unfortunate situation where they've had to do some dodgy things to get by. Sometimes it's for their kids, other times it's just to get them out a rough patch, and if they could do something else they would.

It's kinda lovely that the show re-enforces your belief that you should judge people so harshly for the roles they've been pushed into.

Never seen someone try to make drug dealers sympathetic victims in a thread about a comedy police show. LF maybe.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Holy poo poo dude I've never seen somebody Godwin over a sitcom before.

The gambling debts line was added specifically so someone like you would be okay with the guy's life being ruined. The reason your mind works that way in the first place is because of a steady drip-drip-drip of media saying police violence is heroic, criminals don't have rights, and a person deserves anything that happens to them as long as you can find a mistake they made to point to. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is one of the most popular cop show on TV right now, and probably the one most likely to be watched by kids, and when Jake & Co. act like dirty cops it normalizes behavior that kills real people in real life. I'm sick of seeing them point guns at unarmed suspects. Half the time a real cop kills someone it's because he was trying to wave his weapon around and act tough like he was on TV.

You of all people shouldn't be a judge of anyone's reactions. This post full of crazy is a great reason why.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Nah, it's a lot of valid points that are lost on you for reasons I'm sure don't have to do with you having a vested interest in the world working a certain way. What is "full on crazy" about pointing out the tendency for cops' to act like action heroes (and usually kill innocent, unarmed minorities in the process) and drawing a link to supposedly light, comedic media representation of cops where they act like action heroes (and wave their guns in the face of unarmed, uncharged individuals)?

Must be a slow day in D&D. You know this thread is for the comedy show Brooklyn 99 right? Maybe try out the "Comments on law enforcement for which I have no experience or knowledge of" thread which I'm sure exists over there somewhere.

Is there a new episode yet? Good lord.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

If this is your definition of heavy handed then I am not sure what they could have done. As it just being a thing makes it heavy handed.

I think in contrast with every episode of the show being goofy fun I could understand it sticking out as such a serious thing but I thought they handled it excellently. I also really liked Holt's justification for his change of tune, thinking he was doing the best thing for Terry but realizing everything he did was so that he could do things differently in the future. And I also appreciated that they tried to make it a point to say that although there's a few bad apples, like in any profession, cops are mostly good people and join because they want to help people. I guess it would be hard for them to do a "cops blow" episode since the entire premise is they're all cops but still.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is an example of the show's irresponsibility about representing cops that frustrates me. "A few bad apples" is the exact defense police departments use to avoid changing corrupt systems that lead to cops gunning down children in the street. There is no more powerful tool for changing perceptions than television. They don't have to turn the show into a soapbox to do better on this stuff. Just having a character call out the "few bad apples" defense would have done a lot of good. Our opinions come directly from the media we consume, whether we're aware of it or not.

You have demonstrated your woeful ignorance on all topics police so no need to continue.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I agree with this, and also I think this episode occupies a weird place because, for the show to work, you need to gloss over some of the realities of the justice system and policing (or at least that's the show they've chosen to make - you could have a much darker comedy that dealt with them). They aren't funny in a show like this. It's a comedy about a broken system in which the joke isn't that the system is broken. By having an episode that deals directly with it, you suddenly have to ask why the rest of the show doesn't. Briefly, the show's reality became our reality, and normally it's a much brighter, more cartoonish world in which an insane woman forces people to drink cement. You can't then have an episode where a character is hospitalized because of it, because then you're changing the rules of the show. B99 can't have it both ways. Either in its world it's okay when the cops go around pointing their guns at people because they want to, or it's a serious problem. Either way it's a problem when you think about the real-world implications (or aforementioned effects of how media shapes what we think).

It's a comedy show. It doesn't stop them from having a serious topic now and then. I think they showed you can easily have it both ways.

No offense but you both seem to have limited experience on the subject aside from the articles and news stories you read that support your own view.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 4, 2017

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

No what they are saying is correct maybe you are a bit ignorant? I mean the corrupt nature of American police and the justice system in general is well documented.

And I hear high school teachers are all raping their kids too! It's a madhouse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Badge before

SCULLY

• Locked thread