Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just one episode out but it sure is a goddamn emotional rollercoaster. The twist at the end is an "Awwwww" equivalent of :tviv: and there isn't much to say about the show that won't spoil it at least a bit so I'll just really recommend it if you want a feel good drama that is actually well written too.

Tuesdays 10/9c on NBC.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was a good first episode but I'm not exactly where the show will go from now on. The twist was good but I don't know if they can hang their hat on that every week

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I feel like this show is too good for NBC and it's only a matter of time before it gets cancelled. I really hope the writers have a story they want to tell since it feels like it could easily fall apart.

I had no idea the twist was coming as well although it felt weird seeing the fireman smoking or the lack of phones. I can't imagine a pregnant couple today not attached to their phones or some form of technology 24/7

I think there's a lot of material they can go through from the changes in culture to the difference between a parent's expectation and a child's reality.

The only thing that kind of puts me off the show is knowing that the parents are probably dead. I really like the first episode and it's worth a watch for that alone.

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

I work at NBC and we had an internal review of the show among employees around May. I can say that NBC has high hopes for this show ever since the first trailer returned unprecedented view numbers. I don't think they're gonna cancel this one anytime soon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This pilot was excellent. One of the better pilots I've seen.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I was TOTALLY turned off by the trailers. The sappy music and the "Parenthood 2" vibe really made me want to hate this show. I had no intention of watching it and had every expectation of it being DOA. I only watched it after reading some chatter in the Couch thread.

I was wrong. It was pretty good.

It didn't blow me away, but it was good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This was really good and the twist was great. The acting was super and it was funnier than I expected.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm happy that Justin Hartley has a good show now after being one of the only two or three good things about Smallville for several years.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Was the show delayed a year? the dude talking about turning 36 and watching the Challenger in second grade was throwing me

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo, I just now noticed that Toby is played by Chris Sullivan from The Knick and more recently briefly in Stranger Things and the film Imperium. He's almost completely unrecognizable clean shaven. He must also be wearing a fat suit under his clothes.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

X-O posted:

Holy poo poo, I just now noticed that Toby is played by Chris Sullivan from The Knick and more recently briefly in Stranger Things and the film Imperium. He's almost completely unrecognizable clean shaven. He must also be wearing a fat suit under his clothes.

I think they've set it up for him to loose weight throughout the season.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That was a fantastic pilot episode. My eyes were teary for about half the runtime.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

muscles like this? posted:

It was a good first episode but I'm not exactly where the show will go from now on. The twist was good but I don't know if they can hang their hat on that every week

I don't think it's too complicated, the whole "Contemporary situation ties somehow to flashback" seems pretty good thing to build a show around, as much as any "gimmick". The runners seem to have a pretty decent plan
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/09/26/nbc-this-is-us-twist/90927304/

Kegslayer posted:

I feel like this show is too good for NBC and it's only a matter of time before it gets cancelled. I really hope the writers have a story they want to tell since it feels like it could easily fall apart.

I had no idea the twist was coming as well although it felt weird seeing the fireman smoking or the lack of phones. I can't imagine a pregnant couple today not attached to their phones or some form of technology 24/7

I think there's a lot of material they can go through from the changes in culture to the difference between a parent's expectation and a child's reality.

The only thing that kind of puts me off the show is knowing that the parents are probably dead. I really like the first episode and it's worth a watch for that alone.

The "Smoke?" part was excellent reveal because before that I just thought "oh he adopts a firehouse baby too that is how their stories are connected because they have the same birthday" like a moron

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Second episode not as good, but that's not a surprise considering the first episode was incredible. Plus, the first episode had the benefit of setting everything up and putting the characters into extreme situations, which is always good drama. Can't do that every week.

The writing was a little weaker, with more lines that felt unnatural, like with the convo between grandpa and the little girls.

I'm still tuning in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazingly enough I think I liked that episode more than the pilot. The ending wasn't as shocking as the first episode's ending but still came out of nowhere. I'm kind of loving this show.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

X-O posted:

Amazingly enough I think I liked that episode more than the pilot. The ending wasn't as shocking as the first episode's ending but still came out of nowhere. I'm kind of loving this show.

That ending wasn't as good because you knew to wait for some time-twist thing now but goddamn nothing about the tone thus far made you expect that

Really liking it. Usually can't watch a show about a family unless they are criminally dysfunctional (or literal criminals) this manages to have an edge while still being...nice?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 28, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DarkCrawler posted:

That ending wasn't as good because you knew to wait for some time-twist thing now but goddamn nothing about the tone thus far made you expect that

Really liking it. Usually can't watch a show about a family unless they are criminally dysfunctional (or literal criminals) this manages to have an edge while still being...nice?

It just feels more authentic. Twist gimmickry in the last few minutes aside that is. Everyone on this show has been fully established as three dimensional real characters in just two episodes, I'd argue maybe even in just one, and with such a large and varied cast that's pretty impressive. It's always fun to see talented writers come together with talented people and just make a good show with good characters.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I thought Episode 2 was really strong. I think I was expecting more from it because 2nd episodes are almost universally better than their pilot. I'm already getting sick of the Toby character though. I hope the do something more with him than "Jolly, horny fat guy"

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Phummus posted:

I'm already getting sick of the Toby character though. I hope the do something more with him than "Jolly, horny fat guy"
:agreed:
I was really annoyed when Kate was trying to have a serious conversation wth him and he kept joking. Other than that I liked the second episode.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

yeah loving Toby grow up

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I really love this show. It just feels so real to me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

why the hell did this show take a break after two episodes?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

blue squares posted:

why the hell did this show take a break after two episodes?

Debate.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh, right. I thought it aired on Thursdays

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

70s dad was very excited to tell Doc about naming his kids KKK

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
No posts for a while but as someone whose relationship with their dad is...shall we say, non-existent, this show kills me every episode, no more then the last :qq: It's probably the best new show to come out in a while (well, alongside Westworld)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Daaaamn latest episode was pretty killer

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Daaaamn latest episode was pretty killer

I dug it, but there is a bit of reverse engineering for plot's sake creeping into the storyline.

A few episodes ago, they are worried about finances to pay for a nice school.

BAM! Few episodes later, we learn they apparently own a vacation home? Sure, okay. But I could see the writers getting greedy with reveals of whole chunks of people's lives suddenly being significant despite never having been brought up before.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Chappers posted:

I dug it, but there is a bit of reverse engineering for plot's sake creeping into the storyline.

A few episodes ago, they are worried about finances to pay for a nice school.

BAM! Few episodes later, we learn they apparently own a vacation home? Sure, okay. But I could see the writers getting greedy with reveals of whole chunks of people's lives suddenly being significant despite never having been brought up before.

I think the worry was because the dad was thinking of starting his own business.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I assumed the cabin was something from one of the kids grandparents, like a handed down through the family type whatsit.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

I think the worry was because the dad was thinking of starting his own business.

This. I thought it was pretty clearly framed to show that's why he took the job instead of going out on his own.

Also, it seemed to me like they bought a dump and fixed it up.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Fair enough.

Meanwhile, kudos to the makeup department on Old Mandy Moore.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is that Denis O`Hare?

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
This loving show. Also month long break!

Toby better not be loving dead god damnit.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
The jerky camera work is making me sea sick. :(

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Given how they made such a point about Toby being crammed onto the plane for 6 hours, I'm assuming he had a blood clot or something.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
The obvious progression is that Toby dies on the table, it makes Kate rethink going under the knife and gives her the renewed fortitude to eat right and exercise. So that's not gonna happen.

I love this show, but Toby has always been the weak point for me. I hope they take this opportunity to write him as something other than "Fat horny dude". Life changing event changes his ways or something.

Given how little traffic there is in the thread, I worry that this show isn't getting the viewership it needs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Phummus posted:

Given how little traffic there is in the thread, I worry that this show isn't getting the viewership it needs.

It's the highest rated new show of the year (plus on top of really good live numbers it has killer time shifted numbers as well) and the first bonafide critical and ratings hit NBC has had in years. This show will be around for a while barring some kind of creative implosion. It's just not a show that's going to be popular on this forum.

Last night's episode hit a 2.8 rating in the demo, which in 2016 is a loving great number. Highest rated show on broadcast last night. The next highest, for comparison, was The Voice at 1.9 in the demo. It had almost 11 million total viewers. NCIS was the only show with more total viewers at 14.5 million, but it skews old and the rating was only a 1.7 in the demo.

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 7, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is still real good. It's like inherently not really my thing in many ways (cheesy/contrived/network-y as gently caress) but the Fogelman touch really makes it work, with a lot of the less serious dialogue feeling extremely realistic and all the characters being likeable and sympathetic. I felt the same about Pitch (aside from the realistic dialogue) until they started pulling this MPG falling in love with Ginny poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I actually felt a little insulted by them resorting to a genuine cliff-hanger ending. Previous episodes had surprises that left us curious, not waiting a month for a yes/no outcome.

Though I liked the whole "you never know what you don't know" aspect to granpa's boyfriend.

Anyone notice the episode was directed by Helen Hunt? I guess she likes her longer scenes.

• Locked thread