Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"We made you a new suit" followed by the cut to a samurai makes me really sad that isn't his new suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh so he has amnesia for a couple episodes. I hope they take it back to the good times season one was.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Didn't we just do an amnesia episode like two episodes ago?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
With this much memory loss, Flash has to have CTE :( Frankly I'm not surprised with some of the fast stops and starts he's gone through over the years.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm just hoping they aren't setting up s Buffy season 6 type scenario where the team thinks they're saving Barry from SpeedTheBadPlace, but he really was in SpeedTheGoodPlace

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

WE HAVE TO BRING BUFFY BARRY BACK

I think I hate this season already.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the whole, Flash is still better than Heroes, right? :ohdear:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I go back and watch the first season every so often, thinking "okay, it can't have really been good, the show must suck, right?" It's still good. They did such a good job with that season. What the hell happened?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They spread themselves too thin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I go back and watch the first season every so often, thinking "okay, it can't have really been good, the show must suck, right?" It's still good. They did such a good job with that season. What the hell happened?

Lots of issues. For instance, I believe they wanted it to be an anthology style of show which would have different characters each season, which was never going to happen.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Agreed with Senerio, but also I think keeping things at a smaller scale also helped out a lot with the writing. There were no world-ending speedster threats, or overuse of time travel, you only had half the main cast at STAR Labs consistently so it felt more tight-knit. No one constantly kept important secrets from one another, promising never to do it, and then doing it again five minutes later. And also having a well written villain, with complexity and a real connection to the cast that made the payoff of his reveal actually good, definitely helped.

If nothing else I'm excited for season 4 because The Thinker will present a new challenge.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lotus circle posted:

If nothing else I'm excited for season 4 because The Thinker will present a new challenge.

I give him half a dozen episodes before Barry gets his memories back and reveals that he encountered something new and mysterious in the Speed Force and he has to get faster to beat it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I rewatched Season 1 a few months ago, and it's still really good.

I still really like a lot of the characters (Joe, sometimes Iris, Wally, Cisco, Wells). I just find the direction/writing for some of them to be frustrating (Barry, Iris, Caitlin).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No the big bad this season is Bel Biv Devoe

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The title for episode six is When Harry Met Harry. I am all in for that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well for one thing, they hyped up that ultimate confrontation between Peter and Sylar and then it was behind a closed goddamned door.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Well for one thing, they hyped up that ultimate confrontation between Peter and Sylar and then it was behind a closed goddamned door.
I don't know what this means.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rhyno posted:

"Wow did you hear that epic battle using incredible super powers on the other side of that door?"

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I give him half a dozen episodes before Barry gets his memories back and reveals that he encountered something new and mysterious in the Speed Force and he has to get faster to beat it.

No, he'll be keeping it secret from those that can help with it and will need to re-earn their trust.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't know what this means.

The big fight at the end of Heroes Season 1 happened behind a closed door. There were flashing lights coming out the bottom so it was probably pretty epic

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

An Indian guy named Mohinder held the door shut, but it was quaking from the epic struggle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's on the level of unseen the epic cities from that Voyager episode.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Just do a 4 show cross over the entire season.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Wheat Loaf posted:

It won't even be that complicated. Barry will have "amnesia" for 4/5ths of the season but the big reveal is that Barry was lying to them and had his memories all along but didn't tell anyone because he didn't wanted to save them from that pain... Of.... Uhh Barry not having his memories... Uhhh... Berlanti... Umm SPEED FORCE!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

The big fight at the end of Heroes Season 1 happened behind a closed door. There were flashing lights coming out the bottom so it was probably pretty epic

No, that was in the middle of the season where Hiro goes to the future and Sylar has disguised himself as Nathan and become president. The final fight at the end of season one was Ali Larter hitting Sylar with a parking meter followed by Peter punching him a couple of times before he started to turn into a nuclear bomb, then Hiro teleported in and stabbed him.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

No, that was in the middle of the season where Hiro goes to the future and Sylar has disguised himself as Nathan and become president. The final fight at the end of season one was Ali Larter hitting Sylar with a parking meter followed by Peter punching him a couple of times before he started to turn into a nuclear bomb, then Hiro teleported in and stabbed him.

I thought it was Peter heroically grabbing Sylar and flying up really high so they blew up in the air instead of on the ground? I honestly haven't watched it since it originally aired.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aleph Null posted:

I thought it was Peter heroically grabbing Sylar and flying up really high so they blew up in the air instead of on the ground? I honestly haven't watched it since it originally aired.

That was Nathan flying Peter out of range. Nathan's arc on that show was loving nuts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

That was Nathan flying Peter out of range. Nathan's arc on that show was loving nuts.

Remember when he's shot (by an evil time travelling version of Peter from the future?) and on life support and they think he's going to die, then Malcolm McDowell's character (who'd been killed pretty definitively in the last season) show up to heal him, and then it turns out he was hallucinating Malcolm McDowell, so he decides that God must have healed him, but then you never learn who actually made him better?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when he's shot (by an evil time travelling version of Peter from the future?) and on life support and they think he's going to die, then Malcolm McDowell's character (who'd been killed pretty definitively in the last season) show up to heal him, and then it turns out he was hallucinating Malcolm McDowell, so he decides that God must have healed him, but then you never learn who actually made him better?

I didn't want to remember that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Remember domesticated pancake making Sylar

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Remember Nathan Sylar

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Remember when Peter dropped into a random woman's life, got her brother killed, then whisked her off to the Bad Future, abandoned her there, and then erased her from existence and no one cared?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I didn't want to remember that.

How about the time one episode ended with Claire in the hospital getting every single disease at once because she lost her healing powers and her immune system completely failed and the police arriving to question her mother when the doctors got suspicious, then the very next episode starts with Claire's powers coming back and they just go home?

(These were the episodes where the magic eclipse removes everybody's powers, Robert Forster dramatically orders Mohinder to get them back or he'll kill him, then the eclipse ends and they all get their powers back anyway.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

nine-gear crow posted:

Remember when Peter dropped into a random woman's life, got her brother killed, then whisked her off to the Bad Future, abandoned her there, and then erased her from existence and no one cared?

That's like the only thing I still remember from Heroes besides Nissans, a suicidal cheerleader, a fight behind a door, and the Fly.

That poo poo was cold as gently caress.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I stopped watching after the first season, is it true that in the later seasons amnesia became the writers' go-to tool? Like, between them Peter and Sylar had at least half a dozen amnesia stories?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's all kind of a blur but yes there were a lot of those used. That show is one of the most crazy whiplash of quality dips between seasons I have ever experienced.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Heroes was a show on NBC.

I for one am excited about this new season of The Flash on the CW.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I wish they would be ballsy enough to just run with Wally as The Flash for a few episodes before bringing Barry back, but I'm still looking forward to this season.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

bentacos posted:

I wish they would be ballsy enough to just run with Wally as The Flash for a few episodes before bringing Barry back, but I'm still looking forward to this season.

I would love it if they opened with Wally doing the Fastest Man Alive monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don't like Wally so I'd rather he just lose his powers and go back to underground street racing off screen again.

• Locked thread