Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The show might be bad but the dumb incest fixation people have is also bad. Iris isn't Barry's sister and hasn't been depicted as Barry's sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

People in this forum have had a legit bizarre hangup about Iris since forever. Of all the multitudes of conceptual, narrative, character-related problems, for some reason Iris just keeps on getting spotlighted as the foremost issue the writers ought to fix? Caitlin's writing was at least as precarious as Iris' last year -- more, in my opinion -- but for some reason no one's pinning the downfall of the show on Caitlin. (Not that they should)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

For some reason people who aren't me think the Flashpoint storyline is gonna be the best thing ever so, in a way, it's all thanks to Iris the show is saved

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This was a Good Episode so that makes me feel a bit better about the show at the moment.

...On the other hand, season 2 had Good Episodes as well. The problem won't be if individual episodes are Good, but if the overlying concepts and narrative of the season will hang together better than they did last year.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think, at this point, enjoying this show will be a matter of...setting the right expectations. Looking back I can objectively see all sorts of problems with this premiere, especially with the KILL NORA bingo board crossing absurd thresholds...but I never expected this Flashpoint thing to be that big a deal in the first place so I wasn't surprised to see just another obligatory alternate universe episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Can this be on every page

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This is another episode that I did not dislike.

The overall concept -- dealing with the consequences of Barry's timeline manipulations -- hangs together well and there were some genuinely decent stakes and writing. True-FlashDad's lecture about how the broken cup can't ever be fixed exactly the way it was before was actually a good metaphor to convey "time travel" on this show, not only as an explanation for prior instances, but also as a good rule of thumb going forward.

Of course they could always toss out some time remnant wraith bullshit down the line but, for the time being, I think the show has managed to put a band-aid over their usual time travel nonsense.

Sux for Dante though~

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Going with the plague doctor aesthetic, I assume.

Like...Draco is 99.99999% likely to be Alchemy, but they might also pull yet another of those switcheroos like they did with Eddie and "Jay."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Look this show can either have a plot or it can have characters behaving intelligently. We can't get both.

(This was a fun little episode, though)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hopefully Flashpoint retconned that. Have we even seen the Pipeline this season? Maybe it doesn't exist anymore?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean...the apartment probably isn't his anymore after he stopped paying rent? I don't think this one's a stumper.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ophthalmologist, people! smh

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So much of this was just...stilted and amateurish and low-budget and forced and half the cast seemed like they were having their lifeblood drained from them through their spleens, but I've decided that I enjoyed the hour anyway in literal defiance of all logic and sensibility.

:buddy:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Am I the only one who thinks that the cast of this show has been too large and unwieldy for some time now? Seven or eight people stacked into that overused STAR Labs command center all pep-talking at each other in rapid succession just makes...I dunno, it makes the space of this show feel really claustrophobic and burdensome. Not sure how to explain it. It feels like Buffy season 7 where everyone was just stacked into Buffy's living room for episode after episode, and the set wasn't built to accommodate that visually or dynamically.

I don't think we need to pare down the cast or anything, but (just as an example) we really don't need the entire West family locked in with the science gang every time Barry fights a meta. Shouldn't Joe be out there anyway, as a cop?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I haven't seen the episode yet but...why does the Kid Flash suit look so unwieldy and ill-fitting on Keiynan Lonsdale? He's not an unwieldy boy. He's bigger than Grant Gustin but not that much bigger. But they manage to fit Barry's suit fine but Wally's suit looks like last-minute cosplay.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Seems like a pretty accurate map of the planet circa 2017 to be honest

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well that was an episode of a thing. :xd:

I wish they had leaned even further into the silliness and camp of the situation, and more characters seriously needed to sing more...but I got a big kick out of it anyway. Funniest thing I've seen in a long while.

And gently caress it, I loved that Super Friends song.

e: And okay, y'know, I'm just gonna say it...my thirst for Grant Gustin had reached an all-time low in recent times due to how little I enjoy Barry Allen as a character, but seeing that last song just completely reminded me why and how much I used to want to tap that like a faucet.

:v:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 22, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Savitar is Aang.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I've barely watched any of this season but I'm gonna say that this is probably the only satisfying option they could have ended up going for.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Time to get that boy on the Waverider!

...heh. "Time."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Wait, they actually put Cheetah in this show? Aka longtime important Wonder Woman villain Cheetah, aka aggro cat lady who's kinda naked sometimes?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Pfft. Meh.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

A guy like Batman, not Green Arrow. They've shown Supergirl and Green Arrow together already. :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Supergirl said her cousin works with a guy like Green Arrow. The Implication being that it's Batman.
No, she said her cousin worked with a vigilante who was full of demons. The name Green Arrow never came up in that conversation.

http://screenrant.com/supergirl-season-2-batman/

:boom:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Even after the fact, Alchemy makes no sense. He never made sense to me. Nothing about that aspect of the plot made sense.

Why did future emo Barry-remnant want to give people the powers they had in Flashpoint?
How was he able to do that? Like, that's a pretty amazing power, being able to bestow abilities on others.
What was the point of Alchemy? Was his job literally just to help people get the powers they had in an alternate timeline? Why? Who came up with this plan? Julian had the magic rock. All Savitar needed was someone to throw it into the speedforce. Savitar knew Barry Allen worked in the same office as the guy who had the magic rock. Wasn't there an easier way to get Barry to throw this rock into the speedforce? Barry's an idiot so a few lies about where it came from and he'd be hurling it like a champ, four or five episodes max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

New suit for Barry. Looks to be similar to the future Flash suit.

• Locked thread