Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Pyroi posted:

Iris is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Nope. Sorry. That line from Stein was gross af, and there are plenty of racists who both watch this show and work on it. It's easy to say "Look at the 3(whole!) Characters! How can X be racist!" But that's because you probably have an untrained eye. It's generally a good idea to use Occam's razor. Did someone say something that could easily be read as a racism? Then it's probably racism.

You can bet that the people sending Candice Patton death threats and racial slurs are still watching the show. And while I'm at it jfc dude, having black characters doesn't make a show progressive (if it did the walking dead would be progressive as gently caress) it's what you write for them and.how you use them that makes the show progressive.

The underutilization of Wally, and Iris (followed by Mr Terrific, Jimmy, Jax if you expand) shows that The Flash and the flarrow universe in general does not know what to do with black characters who aren't white mentors (Joe, GreenDad, kinda Diggle) and even they often easily get reduced to cheerleading for the main hero.

And while I'm at it, you can't point to Joe raising Barry as being really progressive either when Barry's mission for 2 seasons was save my mom, save my dad, gently caress up the timeline and the lives of the people who took me in and gave me shelter, and have me a family again. And instead of the writers exploring those black characters feelings we get "it's all good". You know who does get that storyline though? A white character.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 17, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I never said having black characters makes it progressive, I said it is progressive because it has a white boy being adopted into a black family and portrayed as a healthy and loving home, and then completely ignoring it because it doesn't have anything to do with the plot, they're just doing a superhero show set in a realistic mixed-race America.

Likewise, an outwardly racist writer would probably balk at writing for a show like that. Again, I'm not saying they're incapable of being racist, but your buddy Occam would say that, in a show that features healthy multiracial families and has had quite a bit of clunky writing, the simplest answer is that it was just another clunky line, and "gross" is a needlessly inflammatory way to categorize it. If a friend of yours accidentally stuttered and asked you to get him a Nickers bar, would you tell him he was being gross?

I'm not going to get into this any further with you, because it really feels like you just want to see racism anywhere it could possibly be, and are willing to disregard anything that might point to the contrary. I mean, is there any way to criticize Wally's acting and NOT fall into your definition of racism?

Ah yes, the black people see racism everywhere fallback. Good one. Whether it was a "clunky" line or not it was racist. You can be racist without the intent, believe it or not.

And I can absolutely tell you that racist screenwriters would work on a show with black characters. That's like saying no racists would work in a job that would have a black coworker. Hollywood is a competitive industry, you work where you can. Especially as a staff writer on a popular tv show. And to go one step further a lot of racist people don't even think they're racist.

But when a black person comes to you and says "Hey that's kinda/pretty racist" you should probably just listen to them, because they have a lot more experience with it than you.

If you're actually interested in this subject, please checkout my misogynoir thread in D&D. Both TB and I work in production and media, and we talk about at this at length.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Likewise, I cannot understand where you see racism in people saying "Wally is a wooden actor". I have to repeat: How could one criticize his acting WITHOUT falling into your Occam's Razor definition of racism?

Please quote anywhere where I said that people criticizing Keiynan were racist. Please quote where I engaged anyone talking about that subject in the last few pages. I quoted you, and engaged you, because you came into this thread and said a whole bunch of ignorant things that are actually detrimental to people of color. Let me hep you.

And if you don't know what more the show could do, why don't you ask a black person? Because boy, I have some ideas. Give Iris a storyline outside of Barry! Let her be a kickass reporter! Give Wally a personality! Show why he's worthy of becoming KidFlash! Show the West family dynamics! Why couldn't Iris should have a proper storyline with her mom that wasn't runaway drug addict (terrible stereotype by the way) who dies 1 episode later.

Again, proper representation isn't just Ebony & Ivory.mp3, everybody loves each other, black characters exist. It's what you do with those characters.
Barry and Iris is a big deal and is awesome for woc. That is good. But Iris not having her own storyline, not fulfilling her potential as an ace reporter is bad. You can be progressive in one area and totally terrible in another. It's not zero-sum.

Also I assumed you knew I was black because I said so in the OP of this thread and expressed in this thread the need for the show to use it's black characters so that people like myself get representation. Have you read this thread at all? Have you read the OP?

Ana one more time, if a black person comes to you, and says something is racist, you should generally take their word for it. Do you agree?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Keiynan Lonsdale was just named GQ's breakthrough actor of the year.

In Australia

Congrats to him! :)

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 18, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh man, "natural athleticism." Every drat time.

I can't even watch that episode which sucks because I like Jax.

Oh man, remember in LOT when they were in the 50s and Jax was kidnapped by the racist sheriff and everyone kinda hung around on the ship for a few hours instead of looking for him considering he could've been straight lynched? Good times.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

So rumor has it that they'll be introducing Gypsy from Justice League Detroit. She and Vibe might be a thing. And possibly some other JLD characters come come in down the line. I hope they give her a new superhero name though.

If they're trying to make that a spin off, it better have Vixen.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aquasnake posted:

Maybe since they explain it right there in the article everyone will stop asking us why we specifically want NPH.

Producers have an auto response to do the opposite of what fans want. See: Riverdale claiming Betty/Veronica hooking up is fanfiction when they Archie loving Ms Grundy.

Enjoy seeing Norm McDonald as Music Meister 😂😂

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BSam posted:

Holy gently caress do I want that.

I actually do too now that I've said it, haha.

If we can't get NPH though, I think Andy Samberg would be fun. Or Weird Al 😆

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

Why do you always do this? There's a whole racism subforum for you to shitpost in now.

That's for talking about things that aren't always covered in African-American studies, Feminism etc 101.

Elsewhere it's still cool for someone to call you out if you start dogwhistling all over the place.

Like lmao how is Iris in any way ivory Tower? She had a single working class dad and is one of the only people (Joe; Wally's still studying engineering) in the main cast without 2 phds.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

bentacos posted:

I wish they would be ballsy enough to just run with Wally as The Flash for a few episodes before bringing Barry back, but I'm still looking forward to this season.

I would love it if they opened with Wally doing the Fastest Man Alive monologue.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Yep, according to the synopsis WB released, Nazis crash Barry and Iris's wedding.

Something about Nazis crashing an interracial wedding just tickles me. I wonder if they are going to get political given the current climate.. I kinda hope not, I don't really trust these writers. "Use your natural athleticism!"

Anyway, I love that Barry and Iris are front and center. I hope they actually write for her this season and let her be an awesome and good character. Candice Patton is a gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

He did play football before the particle accelerator explosion. But that's hardly "natural". And wasn't that said by grand-pa Stein, anyway? I can't remember.

Yes, but it was played completely straight and not "wtf old white man". It would actually be really interesting if they had the guts and talent to delve into the idea of a black youth having an old white man in his mind/body. It doesn't have to be like "Get Out" but there's a lot of potential for storytelling there.

• Locked thread