Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I don't know whose idea it was to make the OP look like it's straight outta 1995 GeoCities, but bless them and bless this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really liked Patty while I was watching, and it's only in retrospect that she seems pointless. The actress and Grant had great chemistry, and their characters actually seemed to have fun together. One of tv's greatest sins is forcing together people who don't even seem to like each other because the writers hear "stories need conflict" and think "okay, so relationships must be All Problems All The Time and two characters should never be happy together."

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I really want to find that image I saw of "The Flash, Season 10" that just has like fifty Barrys racing around the Allen living room, because it seems appropriate.

This was basically an entire episode caused and perpetuated by people being unbelievably stupid. Barry changing the timeline was stupid, Wally turning his back on his super-fast enemy was double-stupid, Barry doing the exact same thing even after he saw Wally get got was triple stupid.

Oh, and Wally can't heal, because reasons, which is also stupid. But that's plot-stupid, not character-stupid.

Welcome back to the Flash everybody! :downs:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
At this point I think I would've preferred Flashpoint. Just loving run with it. Wally and Iris are a brother-sister crimefighting team, aided by Iris's nerdy CSI boyfriend Barry, tech billionaire Cisco Ramon, and Caitlin Snow, Wally's eye doctor. In place of dumb romantic drama, we get West family drama as Wally and Iris try to deal with whatever crawled up Joe's butt. Harrison Wells is Ramon Industries' mysterious janitor who may or may not be a figment of Wally's imagination.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

That is a large amount of Barry.

A bevy of Barrys.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I like Non-Wells Thawne. Granted, I like Wells Thawne better, but this other guy does about as good a job as anyone who isn't Tom Cavanagh can do with the part.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The thing that gets me is that Wells Flash offered him a chance to do exactly this at the end of season 1, no strings attached, and he turned it down because he liked the life and friends he had. Thawne seemed genuinely confused that Barry would turn down the chance to undo the damage he did to the timeline-- not in a "curses, you didn't fall for my evil plan!" way, but in a "holy poo poo, I just offered you, my sworn enemy, a golden goose with no strings attached, and you spat in my face! What the gently caress is wrong with you?" kinda way. And then at the end of season 2 he goes back and does it anyway, so it's almost like he didn't do it in season 1 just to be a dick. Not to preserve his relationship with his friends or found family, but just so he could gently caress Thawne over and murder him (and his ancestor!). Jesus, no wonder Thawne hates the guy.

My question is, in the original timeline, Barry became the Flash without his mom getting murdered. Ostensibly, going back and undoing murdermom in the first season would've just restored the original timeline, since Barry had to become the Flash in that timeline for Thawne to hate him. So why did going back in the second season create a third, completely different timeline in which Wally is the Flash and Barry isn't? :psyduck:

I mean, I already know the answer. We all know the answer. But still, I feel like the question should be asked.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

That hardest thing to believe is that Barry would be able to get with that fine rear end chick in any universe.

I'm sorry, what? Have you seen Grant Gustin? I mean, sure, maybe Barry's a little awkward, but Grant was fine as hell before he got ab'd up. The only unrealistic thing is that Iris did not jump on that train sooner.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Ah, I see. You're just biased against tall people. There's nothing wrong with being able to reach high shelves and put stuff on top of the refrigerator. Don't height-shame. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Cavanagh returns. He's in a promo, and I'm pretty sure he's back as Earth 2 Wells. :ssh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, Barry did have a conversation with Draco and then immediately run to fight the Rival, where Alchemy was. Unless Alchemy is yet another speedster/time remnant/homunculus or whatever, he can't be Draco.

poo poo, he's probably Draco, isn't he?

Maybe they'll at least do a twist and have it be a Jekyll and Hyde situation, where Draco is Alchemy but doesn't know it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
He's 100% right too. Barry is shifty as gently caress. :ninja:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm actually glad flashpoint is over so quickly. The less time we waste in bullshit timelines that mean jack poo poo because they're only going to get erased anyway, the better.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I wonder how much of this is "I'm bored and want to work" and how much is "I need money" for Draco. Surely the Potter films gave him enough money to live on for a good little while, right?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just watched the episode. Is Magenta in the comics? Because if not, I feel like the conversation in the writer's room went a little something like this:

"We need a name for this new villain. She's a girl who can control metal."
"Like Magneto?"
"Yeah, but she's a girl."
"So... Magneta! :smug:"
"I don't think that will fly with the copyright department."
"Okay, uhhhh... Mag... Magne... Maggie... Magenta! :shepface:"
"Brilliant."

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, Magenta is from the comics.

Actually, now that I think about it, the conversation would be exactly the same in that case, just in a different writers' room.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
God, that episode was so much stupid fun. I love this Flash. Be this Flash all the time, damnit!

Grant Gustin is so good at playing awkward. Jesse Martin is no slouch either, but Grant is just so goddamn cute about it. :allears: I loved the part where Barry tells Jesse to never do the thing he does all the goddamn time.

Hipster Wells seems promising from a comedic standpoint. But I have to say, I love Harry too drat much to give him up completely.

Also, back to being kinda eh on Wally. Something about his line delivery just... irks me.

But still. Great episode overall. I'm really interested to see where they go with Caitlin now that her frosty side is manifesting.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Deuce posted:

I've just watched the first two seasons. Just once I want to see a metahuman get shot by a police officer.

Rarrr! I am FIRE MAN, I can shoot fire from my hands! I am here to destroy the fla-*bang*

Bullets... my one weakness...

FactsAreUseless posted:

Literally the first episode.

Although to be fair, it hasn't happened since, even in situations where it would make a ton of sense, like when Captain Cold and Heatwave publicly called out the Flash and then just proceeded to stand around in the open. Come on! They're just dudes with guns! Guns that are actually considerably worse than normal guns for the purpose of killing people! You have them surrounded and they're not surrendering! This is the part where you open fire. :cripes:

Carlosologist posted:

Wally and Jesse had a moment that was completely adorable. this season has been really good, a return to form just like Arrow

Wally is my one sticking point with the show at this point. It's the actor. He's just so... wooden. This is how their scenes felt to me.

:j: *smooch*
:goleft: Please cease your physical display of affection.
:j: What, is something wrong?
:goleft: You live on another earth. Alas, our love cannot be.

It would be less noticeable if he wasn't in the same show as the likes of Jesse L. Martin and Tom Cavanagh. I'm pretty sure he's Australian, so maybe all of his concentration is going towards maintaining his accent or something, I don't know, but whatever it is, I hope he improves, because I want to like Wally, and right now it's... difficult.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Top is a pretty bad name, but that can be hand waved by the fact that Cisco was under pressure for a name after getting sniped by Wells

To change the channel from bad line delivery, "What? WHAT? YOU WANNA GO?! :black101:" is probably my favorite line delivery in the entire show.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
:10bux: says he beats it by running really fast in a circle.

EDIT: :laffo: Who did it? Who cares, we're drowning! :derp:

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 2, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Were those drumsticks that HR just whipped out?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Wait, so if HR is a fake, how did he solve the super riddle they sent through the multi verse?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
"I know things can be hard at your age, but trust me, it does get better... not for you though. You're going to prison, and they are going to eat you alive. Good luck!"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol he is literally Draco Malfoy

Nah, Draco's hosed up family actually liked him. :downs:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I think the past two Wells's were both pretty obviously evil/with a hidden agenda from the get go, so this one being kind of an idiot is actually a nice change of pace.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It seems like her powers come with a significant +Evil side effect, which is unfortunate, but not uncommon. Many metahumans seem to suffer from this effect. In fact, aren't Barry, Cisco, and Firestorm the only metahumans in the entire world who aren't assholes?

Also, I thought the actual reason Killer Frost is Killer is because she basically has to suck heat from her surroundings (and occasionally living people) in order to keep living. Did they drop the heat vampire side effects, or are those going to come in later?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Aren't they setting up her cold powers going out of control? So, just ripping off Frozen

I'm cool with it if she builds an ice palace in Central City.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Bruceski posted:

prediction: when she snaps HR will try to name her Captain Cold.

Ummm, excuse you, that is Dr. Cold, she has a PhD. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

greatn posted:

Well dumb in that the guys plan was to kidnap a woman who could easily kill him with no means to defend himself, into a room her mom can easily open and goes in frequently.

Look, nobody ever said scientists were smart, okay?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because there's literally nothing to base our guesses on. We don't even know if it's a person. It could be his universe's version of Gideon or Gorilla Grodd.

Or Draco Malfoy. :tinfoil:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just don't understand. Why is Wally's delivery so flat? Does no one say anything to him? Did they try coaching him at first and just sort of... give up? Is his delivery on set actually fine and he's just really bad at ADR? I hate to poo poo on a young actor like this but... poo poo, man. And there's really no winning here either; the cast obviously likes him and they will catch a ton of poo poo if they actually recast him, but he's just so... agh.

At least I have the Vibe vs. Killer Frost Showdown of Destiny to look forward to in the future. Dollars to donuts Caitlin's mind controlled or something though.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That's what they made Savitar look like? Well that's disappointing.

I'll take it over his weird inverted-T-shirt comics costume.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Rhyno posted:

He's a really poo poo actor. That's the main problem.

I have to re-do every line he speaks in my head with the inflection I think it was supposed to have. It's really distracting.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Knormal posted:

I figured that was part of the husking process. He'll be on hold for a few episodes while they do the crossover then come out and molt.

I hope they have a moist hide box for him to crawl into.

PSST. HEY, CW! This would be an excellent excuse for him to mysteriously transform into a different actor. Just saying. :ninja:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

i mean, no, he really doesn't.

folks in TVIV have never seen BAD acting, like drat

I'm a Theater Major, so believe me, I have.

DoctorWhat posted:

people complaining about Wally/Keiynan Lonsdale should probably take a step back and reassess why his performance "annoys" them so much when similar acting from Gustin gets a pass.

Grant gives the occasional flat line reading, but that's because Grant has the thankless task of delivering a lot of the show's exposition. He generally does pretty drat well-- not only does he make good use of inflection, but he also varies the rhythm of his speech, stretching and shortening words, using pauses and vocal interjections to make his dialogue sound a lot more realistic than it would if he was just reading it as written. There are lines in this show that no one could save, but Grant generally gives it a respectable go, so he gets a pass for the occasional flub. He also has very expressive facial and body language to help make up for anything his vocal performance might lack. Keiynan's line readings are very mechanical, with little alteration in rhythm or pitch, and his movements, facial or otherwise, are very stiff. And because there is so little variance to it, it's hard to like the character or the performance.

Look, I get the instinctive jump to racism as the go-to reason for disliking him given all the bullshit that Candice Patton has had to face, but this is definitely not the case here. For your consideration: here is a video of a black man cringing at every word that Wally speaks. (Yes, I know, reaction videos are a plague upon the internet, but they're useful for poo poo like this.)

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm settling on the forced American accent being what's killing him. It would definitely explain why he seems to speak so mechanically, and if it's taking that much concentration just to say his lines without his Aussie bleeding through, he's not gonna have a lot of juice left to put into his actual performance. He's not a bad actor-- while I was typing this up, I looked up a couple of clips of him on Dance Academy, and honestly he seems a lot better there. They should've just said Iris's mom moved to Australia or something and let the man speak his native tongue. :australia:

shades of eternity posted:

yeah

make a side effect that the addition of speed gives him an endorphin injection and a perpetual peppy personality and presto...we have the wal-man. :d:p

I agree. Just letting him be a happy cool guy would probably go a long way towards making him more tolerable.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Blackstroke the Canarinator

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
A delightful Tom Felton story from a recent panel: on his very first day, Tom had to say the line "step away from the crime scene." Because life is a cruel joke, he instead said "step away from the sign cream." Grant Gustin, of course, heard this flub, chiseled it into his memory, and has never allowed Tom to forget it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
God, so much of season 2 in retrospect was a complete waste of time. Remember the abortion of a tentative romance that was Jay/Caitlin? Because I do, and I will neither forgive nor forget.

I'm pretty sure Jay spent more time onscreen with Caitlin than he did Barry, and yet we were supposed to buy him as Barry's mentor.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is a fair analysis. I recognize, intellectually, that television doesn't get made up as it goes along. Seasons are planned ahead of time, arcs are written out, etc. It's never just made up, no matter what show gets accused of it. But it's still dumb and frustrating.

You say this, and yet the Arrow writers admitted in Season 4 that when they wrote the funeral scene in the first episode, they hadn't actually decided who they were going to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Why do anything that Zoom did if he's just gonna destroy the world? Sorry, the multiverse. Which, way to shoot yourself in the foot, show. It's kind of hard to escalate from the threat of "Annihilation of everything possible and impossible across all worlds and timelines." Thawne wasn't even really a threat to Central City, he was mostly a threat to Barry specifically. They skipped threat to the city, threat to the world, AND threat to the universe and went straight for omniversal eradication. Nowhere to go from here but down.

• Locked thread