Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just once, I would like to see Cisco spitefully deny someone a nickname because they are boring or they've already been done.

:rolleyes: "Oh, boy, here comes Generic Speedster Number 47."

:black101: "MY NAME IS SPEED DEMO--"

:v: "Oh, sorry Number 47, were you saying something? I fell asleep because of how generic you are."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
How many times can Barry get almost beaten to death by a speedster who is THE REAL FASTEST before it loses all impact? They didn't even bother putting bruise makeup on him this time. Caitlin had a more debilitating effect on Barry than Savitar did when she stabbed him in the leg and made him do high-speed limping (which could've been comedy gold had they thought to mine it).

Likewise, how many times can a semi-trusted friend turn out to secretly be the bad guy? Everyone and their mother called this. The only hope for that storyline now is that Julian doesn't seem to be all that into it. Personally, I'm still holding out hope for a Jekyll/Hyde situation. Also, to add another stick to the "Julian is literally just Draco redux" fire; he's the magic-wielding scion of a rich family being pressured into evil against his will by a guy who was literally referred to as the Dark Lord in this very episode.

And is it just me, or did they acknowledge in this episode that metahuman powers literally mess with your mind and alter your brain chemistry? Because that is a huge :can: to be opening with all sorts of ethical and legal ramifications-- oh, who am I kidding? They don't care. We know good and drat well they don't care.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Xealot posted:

I thought so, as well.

It's too bad these shows are so centrally invested in the titular hero, because they all have rosters of other heroic characters who I'd love to see as protagonists for a plot or two. Killer Frost is an anti-hero at worst, and then there's Vibe and Kid Flash, or Jesse Quick or actual-Jay Garrick. But obviously, Barry has to be the focus of any given plot, because it's his show. An occasional no-Barry episode would be great, as would a Diggle-starring episode of Arrow, or a Manhunter-starring episode of Supergirl. The need to have Barry runs-fast his way to a solution steps on the toes of their world-building, after a point.

One of the best episodes of Person of Interest was from the POV of a completely new character as she embarks on a one-woman quest for vengeance/justice (justeance? vengice?), with the usual heroes reduced to helpful supporting roles at best, so this kind of thing can definitely work if done right.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
One thing stood out to me in that episode as a non-Supergirl watcher; Mon El is the best (when he's not being schmoopy with Kara). "You said to bring stuffing for Thanksgiving so I ripped open my mattress and got you some! :downs:"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I enjoyed this part of the crossover but was somewhat distracted by how aggressively I hate Legends of Tomorrow and resent its very existence.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Stop dragging Cisco like this. :qq:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Eh, it's fine. Getting beaten nearly to death is basically a biweekly occurrence for Barry, Wally needs to start getting used to it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, they showed us Iris dying so she can't actually die now, because it wouldn't be SHOCKING!!. TV death has to be SHOCKING!! in order to have any effect nowadays.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
"CAITLOW. CAITLOW, CISCIN. JOE'S HOT GIRLFRIEND MADE THIS GREAT EGGNOG."

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Okay, Julian officially has a crush on Barry. That's a loving fancy first-date outfit.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Glad Julian is officially part of the team now. With Harry going back to earth 2, they desperately needed someone to fill the "curt, standoffish dick" role.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just wanted to say that I'm liking Savitar a lot more than Zoom right now. He's not a loving bonkers nutcase idiot screwing with people for lulz, his identity isn't some big mystery, he has a clear agenda and a reason for holding a grudge and, while obviously very powerful, also has a HUGE limiting factor preventing him from carrying out said agenda. He makes sense, in other words. I like it when baddies make sense.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

I didn't like that it ended on a good note, I spent the last 5 minutes or so waiting for the other shoe to drop, it needed something bad to happen storywise in order to set up the return, Arrow handled this really well this week, it had a downer ending and a stinger to boot, so we know exactly what to expect when the show starts back up. Flash really needed someone to die at the end of the episode, or Iris to get kidnapped right after the house announcement. Or at the very least some sort of hint or shot of the person who will betray the party shortly (Re: Arrow, the Artemis reveal a few episodes ago.) Otherwise there's no hook to come back to when the show restarts. They're going to need to open the next episode by creating a problem before anyone can react or deal with it, instead of giving the audience knowledge now and letting it simmer in their minds until the next episode.

Did you... ummm... did you just not see the entire sequence of Iris dying in the future? Did you miss that?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

No, I definitely saw it. They said it's from 5 months in the future, so that's not relevant until the season finale. I'm talking about this episode, the midseason finale, leading into the midseason premiere. There's still no plot hook. In order for that to be a hook, Savitar needs to come back first, which didn't happen at the end of this episode, which still leaves them with no problems going into the midseason premiere next episode.

I'd say an 'imminent death countdown' is a pretty loving huge problem, but hey, to each their own.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

greatn posted:

It's at 10/9c now because it's more extreme and full of adult situations like seeing the top 10% of a lady's buttcrack.

To be fair, there has been an awful lot of burning people alive this year. :supaburn:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Christ almighty. I don't know how I didn't see it coming. It's so obvious, and yet I didn't even think to guess. Of course it's him. Glee is the inescapable spectre that haunts us all, as well as them. Let's hold hands and skip into this musical hell together. :psyduck:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

lotus circle posted:

Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist both got their major starts on Glee, so it makes a certain sense.

This is cute. You telling me things about Glee as if I don't know them. As if I didn't follow that godforsaken show for six years of my life that I will never get back. As if its lackluster arrangements of popular music and classic rock songs don't echo like ghostly wails in the corridors of my mind every night when I lay down to sleep, as if the mere mention of certain characters and plot developments do not, to this day, light such a fire of rage in me that if I were to meet Ryan Murphy in the street, I cannot promise that my hand would not, of its own volition and as if possessed, reach into my pocket, withdraw my phone, remove the stylus from said phone, and make every attempt to ram it through his neck directly into his jugular vein as though it believed it could extract from his blood all that he has taken from me.

Just adorable. :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

lotus circle posted:

Are you gonna be ok buddy?

I will never be the same person I was before Glee, but I have learned to accept it. I suppose that's its own kind of okay. :unsmith:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

RedDevil posted:

I've always wondered if Barry brings his powers into the bed with Iris. :flashfap:

He went all vibratey with Linda Park, so to not do the same and more for Iris would be somewhat counterintuitive.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Most likely outcome: Iris will be saved by a plot element introduced in the very last episode of the season. It will not make sense.

Second most likely outcome: Iris will be saved with a plot element introduced a few episodes before the finale in a different context. It still won't make sense.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
What they need is an extremely realistic Iris android, like some kind of Decoy that's Modeled after her Life. If only such a thing existed... :awesomelon:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This episode was such a drag that I had to watch it at 1.2x speed to make it tolerable.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Cisco is only attracted to ladies who could and would kill him. I feel like that's an avenue of his psychology that is worth exploring.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
On the bright side, not using him means they don't have to make him stupid so his enemies can actually pose a threat to him.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Are you going to Planet of the Apes? :dance:

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 22, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Wait, what? Did Caitlin's mom die? When? Did I somehow miss that?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
"Can you really do it, Barry? Take a life? Besides the dozens you've already taken?"

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
That was some good CG for tv, but it took Barry forever to throw that lightning. The charge time on that technique is not supposed to be that long! :argh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Can't Grodd read minds? :raise:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Really glad they could get Tom Cavanaugh to come back and play Harry. I hear he's a regular on some TV show now.

I really liked his interactions with Tom Cavanaugh. They've always had great chemistry together.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Solovar being voiced by Keith David is fantastic

It was, for all three of his lines.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

:allears:

EDIT: there should be a Flash version of :eng99:?

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 1, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The Flash Season 3 - The writers don't care about continuity and neither should you

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The only thing that would save Caitlin at this point would be to have her embrace her Killer Frost side but become an antihero instead of full-blown stupid evil. It could even be something she switches on and off when she needs it, like drinking a Jekyll/Hyde potion or something.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Flash at this point is basically a case study in How Not to Do a Superhero Show.

How to ruin a likable lead character.
How to squander a talented, charismatic cast.
How to confuse and frustrate your audience by making all your characters idiots.
How to make great villains boring.
How to make one of the most powerful heroes in DC comics look like the world's biggest jobber.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Reverse Flash was right the whole time.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You know, taken in isolation and without the vast stretches of filler in between Savitar moments, this twist kinda works. It works especially well if you see Savitar as kind of a literal incarnation of Barry's self-loathing. He's always talking down to Barry about what a shitlord he is and how he deserves none of the good things that he has. Seeing it as Future Barry having lived so long with his own mistakes that he's A. started viewing his past self as a different person, and B. strongly possessed with the desire to beat the poo poo out of said person for allowing those mistakes to happen... it makes sense. Future Barry hates himself so much that he actually wants to go back and inflict the trauma that made him who he is, just to see the look on his own stupid face as his heart collapses. Somebody made a joke about Barry seeking therapy and Savitar disappearing, but that's basically what he is. Savitar is "Barry Has Issues: The Character."

It could've worked. The main mistake they made was giving us all wayyyyyyyy too much time to figure out the twist, and shuffling Savitar offscreen for a too-large portion of the season. As a movie, or even a short-order Netflix series with a lot of the fluff cut out, this would be a much stronger plot.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
One thing I will definitely say about this season vs. Zoom season is that having the villain be Evil Future Flash definitely raises the emotional stakes, as opposed to it just being this mysterious guy from another universe that we are supposed to be attached to but barely know. For better or worse, we've had 2.8 seasons to get to know Barry so we're definitely attached to him. Thawne's betrayal hurt. Jay's betrayal was eh. But Barry turning his back on them? That's a whole other ball game. It opens the door for some serious character exploration. Whether or not they walk through that door is up in the air, but the door is definitely open.

It also explains in a rather straightforward way why Savitar doesn't just loving kill Barry, as opposed to Zoom who seemed to do random poo poo because he was evil and crazy.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I can't believe they wrote Caitlyn out into a spin-off that doesn't exist

*Raises a glass for Bobbi and Hunter on Agents of SHIELD*

You will always be Marvel's Most Wanted... in my heart. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just saw this and had to post it, I'm sorry. Both of their reactions are just too good.

This is peak 'we don't loving write this poo poo, please don't ask us to explain it.'

• Locked thread