Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Oliver is still broke as hell but Thea got all of Merlyn's money after he "died." Also he was mooching off of Felicity for a while since she got all of Ray's money when he "died." So while he personally doesn't have any cash he has plenty available to him.

Amell explained that Oliver was rich person broke; most of his major assets were gone but he still had a lot of liquid cash.

It's like Luke Cage where Cottonmouth was complaining about Cage stealing all his money but he still had hundreds of thousands of dollars just laying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
People can hack into my car over wi-fi and take it over? Should I be concerned?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

people complaining about Wally/Keiynan Lonsdale should probably take a step back and reassess why his performance "annoys" them so much when similar acting from Gustin gets a pass.

Is it because the character isn't very interesting and was introduced in a dumb street racing/secret son storyline?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koalas March posted:

Nope. Sorry. That line from Stein was gross af, and there are plenty of racists who both watch this show and work on it. It's easy to say "Look at the 3(whole!) Characters! How can X be racist!" But that's because you probably have an untrained eye. It's generally a good idea to use Occam's razor. Did someone say something that could easily be read as a racism? Then it's probably racism.

You can bet that the people sending Candice Patton death threats and racial slurs are still watching the show. And while I'm at it jfc dude, having black characters doesn't make a show progressive (if it did the walking dead would be progressive as gently caress) it's what you write for them and.how you use them that makes the show progressive.

The underutilization of Wally, and Iris (followed by Mr Terrific, Jimmy, Jax if you expand) shows that The Flash and the flarrow universe in general does not know what to do with black characters who aren't white mentors (Joe, GreenDad, kinda Diggle) and even they often easily get reduced to cheerleading for the main hero.

And while I'm at it, you can't point to Joe raising Barry as being really progressive either when Barry's mission for 2 seasons was save my mom, save my dad, gently caress up the timeline and the lives of the people who took me in and gave me shelter, and have me a family again. And instead of the writers exploring those black characters feelings we get "it's all good". You know who does get that storyline though? A white character.

I don't think Wally is being underutilized. He's a not very compelling character with a dumb story played by an actor who's not good enough to save the character from all that. The problem definitely isn't we aren't getting enough of him.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

The worst thing about the time remnants was that if you follow the convoluted logic of it, it actually does make sense, but on the surface it just looks like some bullshit excuse to do whatever they want. And they're more than happy to use bullshit excuses most of the time, so expecting the audience to follow their reasoning on this one thing is just weird.

It really doesn't make sense

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

It does. It's just like Aphrodite said, they called two different things time remnants. The Zoom version makes sense. The Thawne version works on some sort of Back to the Future logic where killing your own ancestor erases you from that point onward but not in the past or something. That version of time remnants makes no sense, it's just jargon to excuse Thawne being able to show up again despite never having been born. But the Zoom one is consistent throughout season two, even when Barry uses it in the last episode.

It's like how there's the two different forms of time travel, the kind where you rewind time and there's only one of you and the kind where you travel back in time and there's the original you and the time traveller you.

And actually I think the "time remnant" aspect of Thawne's thing might work the same way, it's just the way he disappeared when Eddie died that doesn't fit with any other instance of time travel in the show. I don't recall exactly though.

I don't understand how Thawne died right when Eddie did, but Zoom could kill himself in the past, carry the body around for awhile, and none of that mattered

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When you go back in time the old you dissolves and you replace them in the timeline, unless you're planning to go forward in time again, in which case the old you sticks around, right?

But if you go forward in time, there's just two yous there indefinitely

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cisco can open portals between dimensions because he can match the vibration of the other universe. So why can he create wormholes to other places in the same universe? Does the waterfront vibrate at a different frequency than the lab?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show isn't terrific but it's a far cry from the amazing terribleness of late Dexter and Under the Dome

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why were they gonna tell ARGUS that the aliens were bad guys after the mind control but not after they kidnapped the president?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It bugs me that only Supergirl came over from her dimension. I want to see Martian Manhunter, Diggle, and Joe team up to deliver a bit of three-way stern hunky black man common sense.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

That was a great episode EXCEPT for Felicity's loving team up line. She just sucks the life and fun out of every scene she's in.

The line was fine, it's just that the last season of Arrow completely poisoned the character

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

The Dominators put that name in their head with their mental powers DUH

That makes more sense than the other option, that ARGUS came up with that name without knowing about their mind control powers

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Let's not infect Supergirl with Barry bullshit.

"Kara, we can't tell Maggie that Alex is gay, it's just too dangerous"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Wrong Arrowverse thread.

Like that matters anymore

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why does the god of speed have a wrist blade?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
He should have a speed related way of killing people, like Reverse Flash did.

Maybe shaking them really fast?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that the cast of this show has been too large and unwieldy for some time now? Seven or eight people stacked into that overused STAR Labs command center all pep-talking at each other in rapid succession just makes...I dunno, it makes the space of this show feel really claustrophobic and burdensome. Not sure how to explain it. It feels like Buffy season 7 where everyone was just stacked into Buffy's living room for episode after episode, and the set wasn't built to accommodate that visually or dynamically.

I don't think we need to pare down the cast or anything, but (just as an example) we really don't need the entire West family locked in with the science gang every time Barry fights a meta. Shouldn't Joe be out there anyway, as a cop?

Does Iris have a job anymore?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They need to go full on Flash's Girlfriend Iris West and have her getting up to all sorts of wacky magical adventures on her own.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

If those wacky adventures involve Iris punching people the gently caress out like she's been doing lately, then sign me the gently caress up :allears:

The reverse of this

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lotus circle posted:

I think Berlanti said they have no plans for new shows right now, since keeping up with four must already be strenuous. Plus because of contracts and other legal matters, getting Constantine would be very difficult since his Arrow appearance was stipulated as a one-time only thing at the time. Really no point to having a JLD show if you can't get him on board.

Justice League Detroit and Justice League Dark are different organizations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now I'm pissed that it's not gonna be Norm McDonald

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tessiebee posted:

I feel kinda bad for HR and his failed grand opening.

What the gently caress is even in that museum?

STAR Lab Museum exhibits
  • The Construction of the Particle Accelerator
  • The Particle Accelerator Explosion
  • The People Who Died in the Explosion
  • The Horrifying Monsters Created by the Explosion
  • The Revelation That STAR Labs Was Founded by a Murderer
  • The Renovation of STAR Labs into a Museum

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

They explained it in the episode, HR was feeling kind of useless so he created a project to make himself seem important.

He should've picked a project that wasn't a museum to a horrible industrial accident

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Longbaugh01 posted:

Of course the date Iris is supposed to die is the same date as the season finale.

Also, since when can HR appear in public without the face altering tech and people not assume he's the bad Harrison Wells. Am I forgetting something?

He did a thing where all the characters and the viewer see him as himself but everyone else sees him as the other guy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
"I'm still a journalist, Barry"

Is she? I mean, was she ever?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tree Dude posted:

I recall some throwaway line at some point about how people from HR's earth vibrate at a slightly different "frequency" to people on E1 or something. It might have even been in the explanation for how the face changer tech works. Her being from the same Earth as HR means it wouldn't work on her?

I dunno I'm pulling from half remembered lines here and might be completely off the mark. More likely that they just forgot.

I'm pretty sure he talks about using it on his Earth when he explained the device

Guy A. Person posted:

Sorry but how is that effectively different from him hiding in a broom closet? Or just, like, leaving?

If she showed up to STAR labs and didn't find him standing around with that exact group of people, she presumably wouldn't just give up immediately. She probably would have started vibing everyone there to try to figure out what they know and how to track him down.

How does "oh there's some dude here I've never seen, welp that must mean Wells is nowhere" work exactly?

The disguise face he was using was his business partner, so it wouldn't be tough to figure out what was going on.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How did the bad guy get away after Kid Flash arm-tornadoed him through the glass doors? It's like he just vanished

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yer Burnt posted:

They should tell Iris never to wear a white coat and that future will not happen.

Or she could get a face tattoo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, they finally established that Caitlin has a mom. That's not nothing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems like they've set up Caitlin embracing her powers as part of a general character arc about her getting over being so repressed and uptight. She has zero homelife, she's got that thing about trying to measure up to her mom, she's thirsty af but doesn't do anything about it unless a handsome man moves into the lab. I hope the idea isn't that the ice powers awaken some evil personality, it's more that they open up a crack in her buttoned down facade and the evilness is just all her repressed emotions overwhelming her.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, on some level I've just accepted that Caitlin is really just a really messed up person who has no life outside work and is super co-dependent so constantly starts relationships with people she works with. If I was being generous I'd claim that was somehow connected to her mom's seeming work-over-family behavior but in truth I know the Flash Writers never thought of that before this season if they have at all.

But in fairness Cisco seems just as bad except he only hits on unavailable super powered ladies they cross paths with.

Cisco had multiple episode about his family drama, and his constant nerd references imply that he at least watches movies on occasion, and he has friendships with various Wells.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, his family drama is that he's estranged from them because its all pretty dysfunctional so the only major difference is they touched on that earlier than they did with Caitlin. The "watches movie" thing just means he watches Netflix when he gets home.

But fair on the Wells thing. They've done a lot of character work there with his complicated relationship with the various versions of Wells. While they were doing that they were doing Caitlin with Ronnie and then Jay/Hunter so here we are.

They established he had a family, and what they were like, and his history with them. We saw his family, we saw him interacting with his family. Cisco's relationships outside Team Flash drove the story of an episode, and were a factor in the post-Flashpoint drama. It wasn't until this season that they confirmed Caitlyn was of woman born. The fact that Cisco makes movie references is proof that he does something when not on screen. They haven't done that with Caitlyn. For all we know, she could turn to stone when the camera isn't on her.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

How do you go back in time to Camelot?

Camelot is canonical to the DC universe

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

CW released a synopsis of the musical, and I'm a little bummed

Barry and team are surprised when Mon-El and Hank Henshaw arrive on their Earth carrying a comatose Supergirl who was whammied by the Music Meister . Unable to wake her up, they turn to Team Flash to save her. However, the Music Meister surprises The Flash and puts him in a similar coma, one that Team Flash can’t cure. Kara and Barry wake up without their powers in an alternate reality where life is like a musical and the only way to escape is by following the script, complete with singing and dancing, to the end. Dermott Downs directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg and teleplay by Aaron Helbing & Todd Helbing (#317). Original airdate 3/21/2017.

Having it all be a dream takes some of the fun away. That said, still looking forward to it.

So this version of the Music Meister has the power to give people musical dreams?

That sucks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did the Savitar suit debut this episode? I thought it was always CG before?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back now. Iris not taking anyone's bullshit and knocking people the gently caress out is mana from heaven and you know it :colbert:

She spends way more time getting lied to than she spends being badass

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
there should be an episode where the gang gets a piece of public art installed in the park where there wasn't anything in his vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhyteRyce posted:

Cisco what if we just burn down the entire park and maybe knock down a couple of buildings?!?!

In Barry's vision they weren't being pelted by golfball-sized hail. Maybe they should give their old friend the Weather Wizard a call.

• Locked thread