Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

irlZaphod posted:

OK but that's not the it's "like" Terminator. It's analogous in terms of John's conception, nothing to do with Skynet or robots. We're talking an action in the future having an effect on something in the past.

Yes, we all understand the concept of a time loop. Here's the problem with saying what's going on in the Flash is a timeloop

When did the siwtchover take place? Savitar existed. Barry created a time remnant to fight Savitar. When did the time remnant takeover being Savitar from the Savitar that already existed when he was created, and what happened to that existing Savitar?

There is no way to answer that question in a way that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

Barry creates Time Remnants to fight Savitar -> Savitar is defeated and a Time Remnant remains -> Time Remnant becomes Savitar and gets trapped in the Speed Force -> Events of S3, Iris Dies -> repeat.

OK, but as I said, that makes everyone in the future's refusal to tell Barry that absolutely insane.

And it leaves the question of when did Iris et al. die, because there's no way to answer that that doesn't gently caress up character motivations pretty bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nelson posted:

"Barry- We need you to go on vacation for a bit. We're working on a plan to defeat Savitar but it will only work if you don't know what it is."

I know that "why doesn't Spiderman just call The Avengers for help?" is a well-worn dumb comics thing, but seriously. This is the exact specific situation where he really should be calling his other superhero friends for help

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

I think the producers are starting to realize that he's a better comedic actor than a hard drama one (much like Grant Gustin, really) and are slowly giving him more comedy stuff to work with. See: his spot-on Jesse L. Martin impersonations, slamming into a brick wall (aka flashpromo.gif), and that shiteating smile from last week's episode.

It's kinda impressive how much is pointing towards the Flash being a mostly fun show with moments of drama and how hard the creators are working to force it to be a mostly dramatic show with moments of levity

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Barry without his powers being able to beat up three Argus agents seems kinda ehhhh

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If after this entire season being about Barry needing to accept the past and stop time traveling, Barry refuses to accept Iris' death and and time travels again, and it actually works and he saves her, I'm gonna lose my poo poo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

The going theory online is that he swapped places with Iris via the hologram disguise thingie while Barry was proton packing Savitar and let himself get jacked in her place to redeem himself. Hence why wasn't on the roof this time around.

We'll see next week, I guess.

that makes a lot of sense, and would explain why Barry used the face thing at Argus when he just beat up the guards anyway, it was to remind the audience about it

I hate it though. Barry created this entire situation by loving with time like a moron, and it's guaranteed that he won't learn his lesson because we know Barry is still going to gently caress with time to create Savitar. so if the problem is solved by someone else being clever and self sacrificing, that would be so unsatisfying. It would also give Barry yet another thing to mope about. Jesus loving christ, why can't Barry just be a loving superhero? Why can't he just save the day, do something clever to beat the bad guy, and not leave a bunch of bodies in his wake? Why does everything have to be so miserable and mopey all the time?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

While I completely agree that strategically they were dumb not to have like Joe take her one place, Wally to another, and Wells to another so that Savitar would have to get through like 4 degrees of secrets to find her... its all kind of a silly thing since unless the plan was to hide her away forever and never see Barry again then all it was was delaying the moment of truth.

Its not like Savitar was a fairy godmother who lost his powers at 12:04.

But if Savitar didn't kill Iris, then Barry wouldn't create time remnants to try to take him down, so Savitar wouldn't exist. And that would be kind of a neat thing to do, Iris traveling through dimensions, trying to stay one step ahead of Savitar, Savitar racing to catch her to try to kill her before the timeline is changed so much that he stops existing. That would've been a fun episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mooseontheloose posted:

Fair. I really don't get the hate for the show.

The hawkperson romance is really, really creepy, and really, really bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dongattack posted:

Finally shes dead, hope they never bring her back. God, what a boring character. Hope everything implodes now that she's gone and Barry eventually hooks up with Kara, his one true waifu.

I hope she doesn't come back, but only because this entire season has been about Barry accepting the past and not trying to change it. If he gets Iris back through any kind of time travel, or even worse through someone else's sacrifice like people were guessing earlier, that's gonna make this whole season bullshit and a huge waste of time.

It's a shame that his character growth will have to come from killing a female character played by a terrific actress just because the writers have no idea how to write women, but oh well.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe they wrote Caitlyn out into a spin-off that doesn't exist

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why does the Speedforce prison exist?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I understand that you shouldn't let the practical details of time travel get in the way of a good story. But when the story is all about the details of time travel, then yeah, maybe try to make it make literally even the tiniest amount of sense?

I know, I know, "speedforce lol" but seriously. This was poo poo.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

Now I'm curious if they're going to change the intro narration.

"My name is Wally West, and I'm the fastest man alive. When the Flash died, I became the Flash, and also inherited his supporting cast which is good because I have nothing going on. I think I'm supposed to be a college student? Or was a college student, it hasn't really come up in awhile. Maybe they'll redecorate the Newspaper office set into being a college set, god knows we haven't been using it"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

Go read the post I was actually responding to. It was just an alternate way they could have ended the season, with time remnant Barry living life as The Flash and Original Barry willingly sacrificing himself and not turning into Savitar. Why are you arguing with me?

Because Savitar pretty clearly established that Barry is kind of a poo poo, and if he lost his friends and family to someone else he'd turn into a crazy supervillain. As it is now, he can enjoy the self-pity while he's trapped in hell, but if he left another Barry out there he'd grow jealous and crazy and break out of speedhell, becoming Savitar

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
He needs a new suit. The face mask doesn't look great, and if he's supposed to be Kid Flash, why did you give him the mask with the heavier brow and more pronounced forehead lines? Who are the costume wizards who came up with that one?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invalid Validation posted:

Oh don't worry he'll be out of prison within an episode or two to defeat another secret speedster.

I dunno about that. We've got one show that has a supporting cast but no lead, and another show with a lead but no supporting cast...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really feel like they should have to explain something

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inkspot posted:

He survived his romance with Caitlin. That's not nothing. Almost nothing, but not nothing.

Does it really count? He just became romantically obsessed with her and she turned into an evil woman

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

So how long will Barry be gone next season? And why will the Barryless episodes be the best in a long time?

That's assuming that they don't spend the Barryless episodes constantly saying "boy I miss Barry. Things sure suck when Barry's not here"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

What do folks who didn't enjoy this season so much (I honestly didn't see enough of it) think Flash should do for season four to improve?

Make the tone a lot more upbeat, give all the supporting characters something to do, don't make the whole season about defeating another speedster, and no more completely insane time travel plot holes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aquasnake posted:

They scienced up some speedster energy bars that he eats offscreen.

If they can make something the size of an energy bar that has like five thousand calories in it, they could make some money selling them to body builders.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Polaron posted:

Wait, what? I knew about the Harley Quinn joke but hadn't heard about the others.

They have all had references made to them. They've mentioned Ferris Air, Bloodhaven, and Supergirl said her cousin worked with a guy like Green Arrow

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

A guy like Batman, not Green Arrow. They've shown Supergirl and Green Arrow together already. :v:

Supergirl said her cousin works with a guy like Green Arrow. The Implication being that it's Batman.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I clicked on your link and a video of a closeup of a man with a goatee started playing so I turned it off immediately.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

They're too terrified to even use the words bat and man in the same sentence because the WB lawyers would descend on them like the Visigoth hordes, so that's never gonna happen :v:

They should set up that a new character is gonna be introduced, and keep hinting that it's going to be Batman, but it turns out it's Manbat.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

Rumors just came out today about a Green Lantern Corps movie that will see forty-something former military test pilot and Green Lantern veteran Hal Jordan mentoring a twenty-something former military sniper and fresh recruit John Stewart.

As long as the movie makes it clear that Stewart is a better Lantern and has more willpower than Jordan, I'm fine with that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

They can make it good without copying the tone from another show. Flash season 1 wasn't silly, but it was a lot more fun.

I guess Supergirl is the fun hopeful show now. The Flash is the show where characters are told to go faster, that the tone they're going for. Encouragement of speed

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember when they introduced a villain who had the ability to slow things down? Isn't that a really fun idea for a villain in a show about a guy who goes fast?

But then they made him a hosed up rapist serial killer and killed him at the end of the episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koalas March posted:

That's for talking about things that aren't always covered in African-American studies, Feminism etc 101.

Elsewhere it's still cool for someone to call you out if you start dogwhistling all over the place.

Like lmao how is Iris in any way ivory Tower? She had a single working class dad and is one of the only people (Joe; Wally's still studying engineering) in the main cast without 2 phds.

That's a pretty nice house for a single working class dad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd forgotten Wally was supposed to be an engineer.

Now I remember that scene where Wally was designing some kinda super engine and Barry came over and showed him up on engine design despite Barry being a crime scene tech with zero background in mechanical engineering

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I've complained about Katelyn and Barry enough to build up some complaining about black characters credits

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spergatory posted:

Every character on this show has been annoying except for Cisco, who is a perfect angel that we don't deserve.

He's pretty bad in episodes with Gypsy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I got a little poo poo because I was so down on Wally last season (and let's be honest, he was horrible) but nobody in this thread outright called me a racist. Two posts about Ned in Homecoming and it was RACIST RACIST RACIST.

The Flash has a lot of problems knowing what to do with characters. Julian spent the second half of the season just kinda hanging around, Wally's incredibly stupid one episode long street racing arc, Iris not really having a role beyond Flash's girlfriend.

So much of the show could just be Barry, Cisco doing a thing on a computer, Joe providing moral support, and Iris popping in for 30 seconds near the end to tell Barry to go faster. They need to have problems that can't be solved by Cisco doing a thing ion a computer or Barry going faster so the other characters can have something to do

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I feel like Iris has been used well. She's provided good moral support and challenges Barry intellectually pushing him to be better. She kind of stopped being a journalist at all anymore but I'm sure that's not a standing set.

Journalist is such a great ally for a superhero to have. Like, it makes so much sense, she could be tracking down bad guys and finding clues to evil conspiracies. But instead Cisco did a thing on a computer so now they have perfect instant facial recognition cameras throughout the whole city so they never need to to track anyone down. And, not to be mean, but I don't think the Flash writers are clever enough to write a conspiracy plot. So yeah, her only role on the show is being the necessary emotional support to keep stupid Barry from running into a wall or turning into a supervillain.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

Journalist was great before the age of the internet since those were the types of people in the know about the goings on around town and could generally go into most places and had an interest in places they were barred from. Nowadays, however, everyone has a cell phone and there's CCTV everywhere so anything that doesn't involve literally being at the scene can now be done by a hacker/programmer sort (I forget what type of Engineer Cisco is, though; Mechanical like Ronnie maybe?). So the journalist thing is mostly retained out of tradition rather than utility.

A computer program that can tap into literally every CCTV camera in the city and run facial recognition on every face no matter how grainy the footage is basically magic. They could've just not included that bit of crazy sci-fi technology.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, when did this happen?

The end of season 2, Zoom brought in an army of Metas from all around the Multiverse

Flash defeated them all off-screen between episodes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't know what this means.

The big fight at the end of Heroes Season 1 happened behind a closed door. There were flashing lights coming out the bottom so it was probably pretty epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I stopped watching after the first season, is it true that in the later seasons amnesia became the writers' go-to tool? Like, between them Peter and Sylar had at least half a dozen amnesia stories?

• Locked thread