Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That's a good rear end OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's disappointing that they never really managed to muster the whole competition between vaguely sinister, manipulative Harry and lantern-jawed boy scout Jay Garrick over the position as Barry's mentor for the season, at least not as much as the showrunners seem to think they did. It would have made the reveal of Jay/Hunter's true identity a bigger deal, I think.

Yeah I've said before but this seemed like that was the entire plan for the season and would have been a really great arc. My best theory is that they played down Jay's role to try and throw people off the scent that he was actually Zoom, but in doing so they made him a non-character for most of the season. So instead of mentor vs mentor vying for Barry's trust, you had one dude who was very obviously a red herring (dick Wells) and one dude who was supposedly living a quiet life offscreen somewhere.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

If there's a c plot involving Dr alchemy or abracadabra as the big bad I'll take it.

Based on press releases: they're doing two big bads, one being Savitar (a speedster) and the other being Alchemy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

That would be cool, although I'm sure Alchemy would take a very far backseat to Savitar because gently caress not having a speedster be the big bad. Is the douche in black with the winged fans on his head Savitar then? I know who he is from the comics, and that would be a weird place to take his look.

I think he's a Flashpoint only villain called Rival. And at least from the previews they seemed to be hinting at Alchemy being a mystery by having it scratched into a mirror.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Koalas March posted:

But yeah, there's a wealth of interesting things they could do with her character. I just wish the writers would see and use her potential.

My favorite is still "Iris West, ethical advisor" from the kevin smith episode

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

People are allowed to voice their disdain, and also make incest jokes. It doesn't have to detract from what you take away from the show.

Thanks for the update on what people are allowed to do. KM is likewise allowed to voice her opinion on the dumb incest jokes. You were allowed to make your post replying to her. I am allowed to make this post. Nobody is disallowing anyone from doing anything, your First Amendment rights are safe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_QEwzmsnHg

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tsob posted:

If it is, none of it is making it to the screen. That's almost certainly more a fault of writing and direction though, not lack of chemistry. They do appear to have real fun and chemistry in the gifs you post, but nothing in the show really reflects that.

There was easily chemistry with Earth 2 Iris. But yeah I agree it has more to do with the contrived storytelling (forced love triangles, mopiness about not being together, etc) and viewers negative reactions to that than actual lack of chemistry. I think Patty also got a lot of credit for breaking Barry out of the creepy side of the love triangle, I really didn't see a ton more chemistry there, she was honestly kind of a forgettable character.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Whizbang posted:

Lots of people browse the forums on mobile, don't be an rear end in a top hat.

toggle the thing where pics don't automatically load

Koalas March posted:

RE: a mod, I guess? I'm on my laptop and don't see a star here or on mobile? I can post a screenshot as proof if need be??

too late you're toast

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sorry I was teasing, I was trying to lighten the mood but failed worse than Barry trying to not screw up time travel

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

maybe Whizbang is just a super cut skeleton who hasn't been to the settings tab of his SA mobile app

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I legit appreciate Koalas March a lot for bringing up representation issues since it is important and has increased my appreciation of Iris. I didn't hate Iris before aside from wanting her to do more but after reading some of KM's posts in this and last thread I am now rooting for Iris/Candace.

Proposition Joe posted:

Barry Allen, go back in time and rewrite this entire thread please!

Also I liked this time travel joke but I suggest putting moratorium on calling the thread poo poo repeatedly 4 pages in just because we don't like the direction the conversation is going. There's probably promo stuff and speculation we can talk about, or just sit out until the show starts. One more weeks Flashers (do we have a fan group name yet?)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Flash Mob?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh nice I'm glad some angry dudes came in here to whine about tumblr and make the thread way better!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Cool thanks for the update.

And thank you for the refreshing one liners as always :)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Optimist with doubt posted:

So actual tv show question. I am not too familiar with the flash lore. Other than the cold dude and other speedsters what kind of rogues gallery does flash have?

Already appeared on the show:

Weather Wizard - dude who controls weather
Heatwave - dude with flame thrower pistol (yeah not too impressive)
Captain Boomerang - dude who throws gimmick boomerangs (somehow less impressive than the last guy)
Trickster - guy who uses toy and gag based things like exploding rubber chickens or balloons filled with toxic gas
Pied Piper - dude who uses sound based weapons
Gorilla Grodd - talking gorilla with mental powers

Haven't appeared yet:

Mirror Master - uses a bunch of crazy mirror based powers, including using any reflective surface as a portal to teleport through, creating mirror clones of people, turning them to glass, etc
The Top - started out like the Trickster and Captain Boomerang where he just used top based weapons, but eventually gained the ability to spin at ridiculous speeds and also gained some mental powers (a female version has been cast for the show this season)
Dr. Alchemy - can transmute matter, but not organic matter
Abra Kadabra - from such a distant future that his technology looks like magic

Those are the most prominent and powerful, there are others like Rainbow Raider who has appeared in a few episodes and the Turtle Man who was killed last season in a plot point that unfortunately didn't go anywhere.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also aside from Gorilla Grodd and Abra Kadabra the other ones typically pal around and team up and actually have the team name The Rogues, and they are pretty awesome. And good news on that front, 3 of the "hasn't appeared yet" have been cast and Captain Cold has been confirmed to return as a season regular (I think he was knocked down to guest star since he was busy with LoT last season) so hopefully we will be getting a lot more Rogues stories.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LLJKSiLk posted:

Calling them speedsters really triggers me. Out of respect for those of us who move at regular speed we should refer to them as above-average runners. There's really no excuse for speedism in this thread. I'm gonna write up a 5 page manifesto on my tumblr telling you why this is problematic.

Didn't you explicitly want this line of discussion to stop? That was your only other post in the thread. Why quote some unrelated dude to dredge it back up?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, it sounds like Flashpoint lasts an episode or two but then there are lingering effects once things go back to "normal".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Most of the real wonky scheduling last year was in the second half when they were dragging the season out so they could run a full month of episodes in may sweeps, and have first run Flash episodes as a lead in to Contagion.

Yeah this. There was the normal fall sweeps and end of year break which people expected. The weird stuff was a full month break after Feb, then two episodes, then 3 more weeks off prior to spring sweeps.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Koalas March posted:

Hey, I don't have PMs, but since you seem interested, I thought you might like to check out this (relevant) thread.

I already did and even helped tell off the thread's first troll (in a real passive aggressive way)!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well holy crap this looks potentially cool:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrow-flash-supergirl-legends-tomorrow-933699

They're talking up the special effects and prosthetics too which is exciting, and with over 3 hours to work with this could end up being extremely cool.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy crap that's Alex Desert aka Julio Mendez from the 90's Flash (same name and everything!)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zebulon posted:

Apparently without Barry Joe's life went to poo poo. What the hell.

If Wally is still in town I wonder if Iris's mother is as well? In which case maybe it was a situation where without Barry to raise Joe went and found her, and trying to take care of her took its toll

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cool backwards Doc Strange commercial

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This Reverse Flash rules

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"have I been kidnapped?"

"unclear"

lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol that dude signed a contract that said his face could appear obviously

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Is Alchemy already working with Mirror Master tho?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm a little more optimistic now that i know flashpoint was just a one-off and not like, half of the entire season

i'm still doubtful they'll fix the problems i had with season 2 but i'll give them a chance to change my mind

My main problems with season 2 were:

- spent like 1/3 of the season setting up LoT which mucked up its own storylines
- crappy mystery with season villain
- mopey Barry
- removing Cold and Heatwave

I feel like the first won't be repeated, the second they hopefully learned from, 3 looks like a strong possibility about now. But the following things make the season sound potentially more fun:

- more Rogues and especially Cold
- a musical episode
- a non-speedster villain

So I am pretty optimistic.

Also last season had a bad season premiere, a bad mid-season finale, and then another bad mid-season premiere all in a row. This season premiere was pretty dope I thought.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I for sure thought they were going to go the route of "Barry is the one who generates the Speed Force, so without him being Flash there is nothing to give Thawne speed" in the first season. And it was going to turn out that Thawne became Wells to ensure that Barry became the Flash (because maybe the timeline had been altered to such an extent that he otherwise didn't become the Flash).

But it turns out that Thawne losing his powers was just some super weird coincidence? And that he just needed Barry to be fast enough to give his failing powers a boost to travel back to his time where he would...get better?

Then of course there's all the weird stuff about the Thawne time remnant, which I think is obsolete now because Barry removed the Thawne that murdered his mother from the timeline post-murdering his mother. So wait was Wells ever Thawne in this timeline? Is Eddie still alive? :psyduck:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tsob posted:

I haven't watched the episode, but did watch a few clips to see if it piqued my interest and Iris doesn't know Barry. Despite the fact that change is that Barry's mom didn't die. And yet according to the Prime timeline Iris and Barry were friends as a kid and basically lived next door till Thawne killed Barry's mom. So shouldn't Iris at least recognise Barry enough to go "oh, that guy I knew as a kid?"

This is basically exactly what happened. Iris is like "you look familiar" and Barry says they went to school together and they reminisce about some class they were in.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also, from episode synopses up through ep 3: Jesse has super speed and has been crime fighting; Barry becomes her mentor and as of ep 3 is training her.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pyroi posted:

Dammit Barry tell people what the hell is going on so that they don't think you're rude as gently caress

I mean I get not being like "hey I accidentally hosed with all your lives!" wouldn't be the best thing to do, but yeah he does need to tell at least someone to get the basic details of his life under control

edit: ohhhhhhhh this sucks :smith:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hahahahha YES

Old Flash gonna be like "knock this poo poo off dude..."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

These two episodes would have worked better as a 2 hour season premiere and it seems like they were written as one (what with the same villain, time travel themes, etc)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

drat, slick move stabbing him with the ear things, Rival

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fun Cisco is back :unsmith:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ok finally just don't have some goddamn dumb drama muck this up

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

gninjagnome posted:

Hey, that wasn't No Lunch Supermax?!

It was Iron Heights! It looks like someone pointed out the questionable ethics of NLS in this timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Real Jay Garrick has already been more of a mentor to Barry in a 3 minute scene than fake Jay Garrick was the entirety of his storyline

• Locked thread