Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

LOL at Barry saying nothing about Caitlin had changed. Caitlin doesn't have a personal life to change. Does she even have parents?

I initially thought it was crass because like, "oh your boyfriends still dead and you don't have anyone else to lose lol" but it was just a clumsy setup for the ice hands tease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

greatn posted:

You know, Jay Garrick just totally stole two people's 1998 clothes, then went into a diner and broke one of their mugs, then peaced out back to his own dimension. What a dick.

DadFlash is the best Flash, you know he bought all of that stuff then left a really good tip.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

That was my point, they rushed through the meat of the Flashpoint storyline, which could have been an amazing, multiple series-spanning, season-long event, just to get back to the "meta-of-the-week building up to facing off against another speedster in the last episode or two" framework that defined the past two seasons. It's like they didn't even really want to do a Flashpoint story, they just wanted to check that off the list because it's a well known Flash story and fans want it.

I mean, that's the issue right there. They're not going to hijack 2 other series outright (Legends presumably could have worked in the framework) to tell a Flash story. Like you're an Arrow fan and you tune in from last season to find Ollie dead and his father running around in the suit or whatever and every few episodes the Flash shows up to whine about how he ruined the timeline. So you're options are:

1) do it season-long but half-rear end it - you'd have to make super minor changes to not piss off fans of the other shows which means you're basically again not even really doing it. This is also kind of what we're getting right now anyway.

2) do it season-long but isolate it to the Flash - well maybe Legends could fit into the framework since they're outside of time anyway. And actually you could have Supergirl's show be normal but Flash is like "great scott you're part of our universe now!" (but then again even then you're not doing a ruined Flashpoint timeline). So maybe just Arrow is isolated to its own thing. But then you get this flowchart of like, Arrow can only cross-over with Legends maybe since they're shifting between timelines, but otherwise the other 2 are off-limits for Arrow. So it's a trade-off of not being able to do the big 4 series crossover, or smaller crossovers between just two shows, and again, things still have to be somewhat "normal" for it to work.

3) do this as the big series crossover - this is what I would have preferred but then again it would have been really cool for Flash fans and potentially just confusing or boring for fans of the other shows. Like, again, you're watching arrow and then at the end of some episode there's a flash of light and things are different and it's like "find out what happens next in: Flashpoint!" And now you're watching a different show with no stakes for you and it's mostly about The Flash.

But yeah, I don't think we were ever gonna get a proper Flashpoint just like we didn't get a proper Civil War because even though everyone likes to talk up the shared universes, we are just not at the point they were in the comics when they launched these big storylines that crossed over into a dozen series each and played off decades of shared history.

Although to be perfectly frank I am not a huge fan of the Flashpoint storyline anyway, since it basically erased the timeline I was familiar with and brought in the mostly boring New 52, and the novelty of seeing evil Wonder Woman and Aquaman didn't really matter to me. I think we could have shelved the "Flashpoint" moniker for later and then this wouldn't have been as disappointing a premiere to some of its fans, but I am kinda glad its off the table.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TLG James posted:

What other flash megaevents are there even in the comics? It seems like they literally threw away the biggest subplot that exists for the comics. It was pretty much their age of apocalypse.

It's admittedly the only megaevent that centers solely around the Flash. This is because they wanted to reboot the DCU and Geoff Johns had just revived Barry Allen* and loves the dude and I think wanted to do one big story about how he's basically the most important character in the DCU.

But there are other big Flash stories and also other megaevents where Flash plays an important role. Crisis on Infinite Earths is the big one where Flash sacrifices himself to stop the end of the universe, and this lead to Wally growing up and taking the Flash mantle. He also has a pretty big role in Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, and Final Crisis (yeah they use that word a lot). There's no other Flash-specific mega event, but then again there's not really one for most single heroes in the DCU, it's usually just everyone or else obviously Superman (Green Lantern had Blackest Night as well).

*imo I think even Johns was somewhat torn up about the New 52, he had just revived Barry Allen and reworked the Flash family and the Rogues and was supposed to be writing that series for the foreseeable future; after Flashpoint he stopped writing the main series and hasn't come back. This is all speculation and is neither here nor there regarding the series though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bruceski posted:

Dr Alchemy isn't a speedster.

TBF we don't know that. If it is Draco Malfoy he got across town pretty quick after all...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McTimmy posted:

Timeline 4: Flash goes back in time to watch his mom get murdered.

I don't think this created a new timeline since basically all he did was talk to a dying woman (which now that's unfortunately erased and his mom has the most frightening version of her death instead, nice going Bar')

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

greatn posted:

What is a five

Five celebrities you are given a free pass to sleep with and your s.o. can't get mad or leave you or whatever

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

No, Jessie just said "That's all him" when Cisco asked that exact question.

Which is unfortunate, it would be hilarious if they both kept using a ton of 90's slang

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hahaa bold move

lucky for you there is a speedster standing right there (and no we don't mean you Wal :smith:)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

drat that was 3 solid minutes of people yelling at eachother

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This was a good episode, I felt. Still not as solid as the best of season 1, but we're getting to interesting stuff and avoiding obvious pitfalls

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So here is some behind the scenes stuff and footage from tonight's episode:

https://twitter.com/CW_TheFlash/status/790946049250603009

My favorite part: the team's solution to not having Harrison Wells around all the time they are apparently going to audition other HWs from the multiverse

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The best possible outcome

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Really digging HR so far

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol he is literally Draco Malfoy

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I actually thought this was a pretty ambitious episode, they tried to make it really character driven with issues of fear, trust and seeking redemption tying in several of the characters (Julian, Caitlin, HR, unnamed teenage hologram terrorist). I don't think it fully came together, but it was interesting seeing what they were going for. There were also some cool moments like Julian having military training and Iris leaping into action to help people on the bus. I also appreciate the "villain" being more than just the meta of the week, and there is a pretty good track record this year for Barry not murdering everyone in his path.

I think the season so far has been a great improvement over season 2. It's not as fresh and exciting with an immediately compelling villain like season 1, but they've fixed a ton of problems that last season (and to be honest the series itself) had and we still have a lot fun stuff ahead of us: Gorilla City, musical episode, official return of Snart, 4 series Invasion! crossover, among other things

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Yeah I come from a rich family of assholes and I have a big problem with dark haired protagonists who seem beyond the rules and have a lightning bolt symbol somewhere on them" was so hilariously on the nose

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bad Moon posted:

I want Caitlin to do diva arms as she greets th sun rise in her magic crystal ice palace

Holy crap, if Disney owned DC instead of Marvel the musical episode would absolutely feature Caitlin singing "Let It Go", it's such a no-brainer

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

Hasn't stopped a billion Star Wars references.

I'm sure there'll be references but I think song licensing is a whole different beast

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah it seems good so far, not as strong as season 1 but a lot better than 2 (especially like at the same point in the season)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I can't decide which Wells I love best but H.R. might be a front runner

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Little disappointed they wasted Shade like this, he's usually a much heavier hitter with more interesting powers. But it is kinda cool they beat the villain of the week halfway through the episode and now get to focus on season plot progression

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol like them slipping that red herring about Julian in there quick

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That's what they made Savitar look like? Well that's disappointing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's just kind of predictable that the main villain is an even faster and scarier looking villain with a new lightning color. By next season the villain will be a literal 10ft tall CGI demon with super speed and let's say green lightning (called Speed Demon obviously). I can't even extrapolate 2 seasons from now...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lotus circle posted:

I think it's the other way around.

Yeah I think what's being hinted at is some kind of power within the stone itself. Like my guess was they were gonna unmask Alchemy and it would be Julian but that would be a red herring because he was possessed by the stone

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Spergatory posted:

I agree. Just letting him be a happy cool guy would probably go a long way towards making him more tolerable.

Yeah, honestly, the first episode of the season he was working really well for me:

Flashpoint Caitlin: "Was I just kidnapped?"
Wally: "Unclear..."

The current mopey thing is definitely not helping all that much

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phenotype posted:

I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore.

I might be able to help with that: a black poster came in to give their perspective on race portrayals in this show and instead of listening you doubled down to protect your ego.

And hey, that's fine, it was a mistake, but I would seriously suggest just recognizing that and listening rather than continuing to give your own perspective on the racial element of the show (which I assure you is incomplete).

(Also for what it's worth, DoctorWhat's original point was overbearing but you way overcorrected by bringing up the Stein quote and your feelings on the progressiveness of the show. Notice how KM didn't reply to the other posters refuting DW's posts)

(Also also, KM obviously appreciates the progressiveness of the show since she's talked repeatedly about how great Candice's casting is for young black girls. That doesn't mean she can't critique the show or that it's not silly for you to point out the good stuff to her)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm also pretty sure they were just making it up as they went along, as evidenced by Zoom bringing the dead Jay home and being like "Well this is a complication." I don't think the writers had any idea what they wanted with this season.

I disagree with this part, I think two key things happened:

1) they wanted the whole dynamic of the season to be Jay Garrick being the "trustworthy" mentor and the new Wells to be the shady mentor (both because of their history with Thawne-Wells and also cause he's just a dick in general) and for it to be a reversal of expectation when Jay turned out to be the bad guy

2) they were desperate to throw people off the trail, and they chose to do this by keeping Jay way in the background the whole season and pulling poo poo like the dumb time remnant stuff

Like the first part is actually a compelling idea and would have been a good follow up to season 1's plot. Jay Garrick trying to appeal to Barry through the nice guy routine while Wells spat off uncomfortable truths. But it would still be a fairly obvious twist and they should have just embraced that.

But yeah, I think for the most part they knew in advance what they were doing, and they just thought that they could half-rear end Zoom's "Jay" part by banking on the Jay Garrick name, and that the time remnant thing would be a cool mind-gently caress rather than some obvious bullshit.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is a fair analysis. I recognize, intellectually, that television doesn't get made up as it goes along. Seasons are planned ahead of time, arcs are written out, etc. It's never just made up, no matter what show gets accused of it. But it's still dumb and frustrating.

Yeah agreed and tbh I was going to amend my post to say the time remnant thing did seem like an eleventh hour "eureka!" moment in the writer's room designed to explain some of the fuckery they pulled.

But honestly the fact that they had a pretty decent outline for what to do and hosed it all up is more frustrating to me than if they had just been making poo poo up as they went along.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

I just rewatched the last episode, and man... the villain of the week got completely sidelined in favor of the Wally/Alchemy plot. I mean, I don't think he even got to say a single word. We didn't hear his backstory or anything like with Magenta.

I actually found that kind of a refreshing way to mix it up, have the VoW defeated approx 30 minutes in and then get on with the season plot. It sucks that it happened to Shade instead of someone like generic sand guy or generic lava guy or any various guys from last season.

But hey, since Barry is now actually keeping his villains alive in this timeline, maybe they will juice him up and bring him back? Or hell, didn't H.R. mention that his universe had a villain named Shade? Maybe they will give us a proper Shade from there.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Haven't watched the episode but calling again the true entity is within the stone itself fooooollllssss

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

rapeface posted:

I thought Caitlin turned bad because she was merging with her Flashpoint self, who was bad. Isn't that how it's been working?

I'm not a fan of the dentist either but I wouldn't say that makes her evil

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I thought Supergirl tonight was the official start of the crossover? Unless they're saving it for the literal last minute.

EDIT: oh there it is lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Proposition Joe posted:

The Flash tricked me into watching another lovely episode of Supergirl. I won't be fooled next year CW!!! :colbert:

:same:

irlZaphod posted:

Supergirl is the best out of the 4 shows though.

Yeah actually the production values were a marked improvement over the CBS episode I watched. But I just have no idea what's going on with SG so while I was able to pick up on certain stuff (Mon El is apparently a new arrival, J'onn has some white martian drama) I wasn't really invested in it :unsmith:

I was just hoping for something similar to previous crossover eps, like Flash could have still shown up earlier and been like "I need your help!" and she could've said "ok but we need to take care of this first". I guess they didn't really push the crossover for this ep and just said the event was starting last night, which it technically did.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"When you get back you'll be in the new timeline. Don't trust anyone. Not even me."

Barry Allen time murderer officially confirmed for multi-series main villain

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

nooneofconsequence posted:

See Barry you made Stein's life better

Actually I'm pretty sure this is due to events from LoT.

Admittedly it's confusing as hell being introduced in the same ep as Flashpoint change discussions, but I also don't think that girl looked young enough to be affected by Flashpoint anyway

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Don't beat yourself up so much Barry, you're only human"

5 minutes later

"You really hosed up this time Barry!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zebulon posted:

Cisco with the Kill Bill ref. And Wally apparently heard the thread.

I mean it was building up to this all ep, including him getting hurt for standing around after 10 seconds of fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol "one of my many gifts"

• Locked thread