Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Barry was actually smiling and being casual fun again. That's why half that trailer is already better than half last season. Fun Barry - Great. Brooding Barry - Annoying.

All we need now is yet another Wells whispering "Fun, Barry. Fun." and it might be a good season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Test Pattern posted:

I hope that for as long as this show runs, Cavanaugh plays a different version of Wells each season. He's been great and seeing him riff on his own performances has been half the fun of the second season.

As long as around season 8 we get every single version of Wells on screen at once.

Crisis of Infinite Captain Bubblebeards

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Barry's powers growing stronger after a pep talk count: 1

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I think my favorite part was opening the episode with "Previously on The Flash" and showing Barry coming to his decision to travel back, then doing so and saving Nora. Then 10 minutes later show the exact same footage with him dragging Eobard through time as he fondly remembers how he captured his mortal enemy.

I really needed to see that twice. Just to be sure.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Captain Bubblebears is playing Wells differently, though. S2 Wells was differentiated from S1 Wells by pitching his voice lower and growling more. This wells sounded like S1 Wells in tone.

Nothing really jumped out of the episode for me but I still think it was pretty solid. Continued proof that the prerequisite to becoming a speedster is some sort of brain damage though. Really hope they don't draw out Wally seeking out Doc Alchemy and just rip that bandaid off quick.

Did Barry drag Iris by hand the entire time he was speeding her off to their date?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Gustin only has charisma and the adorkable stuff when the writers make it light-hearted - stuff like him zipping between Iris and Joe trying to get them to talk, or him loving up trying to ask Iris out. Any serious/angsty stuff and Gustin just fumbles it.

I like Wally. I'm not saying that the character is in my top 5 or that he's wowing me in his scenes, but there's nothing wrong with the actor. Blame the writers for making him whine about not having powers/speed/a dad. Delivery seems fine to me.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I do wonder if they're pulling a swerve with Caitlin and Cisco. Caitlin's been slated to be Killer Frost since the end of Season 1 and it's been teased and toyed with so heavily, and then in this episode it looksl ike she's pulling the trigger and comes back from the brink. On the other hand Cisco's got some seething anger building and I'm wondering if Vibe might not wind up going dark side.

Really good episode minus most of the Savitar stuff and the Alchemy reveal. Panabaker is great when she gets to let go like that and everyone calling Barry on his poo poo never gets old.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

Thawne's backstory is so great. He idolized Barry to the point where he duplicated his powers, then found out he was predestined to be History's Biggest Dick and decided to embrace the role as hard as possible. :allears:

Uh, Harrison Wells of Earth 2 is History's Biggest Diiiiiiick.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
You'd think the villains would get together and work on a standardized naming convention. Reverse Flash and Bizzaro Superman? Pick one or the other for your opposites already! Should alliteration be required, or should the villains vote on a more modern standard? Should villains be allowed to just use their name or should there be a motion to force Lex Luthor to something a little more stylish?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
The DC movies barely have secret identities. Lois found out who Superman was and really the new Clark persona is created after - during the majority of MoS he's just... himself. BvS had Luthor knowing Batman and Superman from the get go. Secret identities are just old hat for most properties now.

So are they going with the idea that the future resists change but the past is open game? Barry's hosed time three ways from Sunday many times now, but suddenly he's all "can we change the future I dunno". It's kind of a weird idea because the future is the past from someone else's point of view but Barry's struggling to know if he can avert this disaster despite manhandling time a few times and being friends with professional time-fuckers. Like, the fact that the byline had changed should be proof enough that the future CAN be altered because that's always been his distant future. If anything Savitar showing up to murder Iris is already proof it can be done. Or Eddie offing himself. All of those results were a vague distant future being averted.

The show just continues to highlight how much of an idiot Barry really is. Instead of coming back from the future and being all "okay Team looks like our plan to lose the rock in the speed force failed and Savitar murders Iris let's fix this poo poo" he hides it for two months and cries himself to sleep every night.

Still a good episode.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Barry: "I just wish we knew that we were changing the future."

Did Mister Cisco's Wild Ride from the episode before just suddenly stop working? Seems like it didn't cost anything, so why not just vibe to the future for a status report every day? Seems way better than just guessing.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
When Rip Hunter showed up he said he'd seen Men of Steel die and Knight's fall. Batman and Superman eventually exist, though they could always spin it as alternate universe versions now that the multiverse is absurdly easy to travel through.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Barry: "Guys, punching every number in sequence isn't working."
Everyone: "Well it's all we've got keep doing it."
Barry: "No seriously this isn't working come up with a new plan."
Everyone: "Got nothing keep going."
Barry: "WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ELSE OR PEO- oh hey it worked."

Also it's really lucky for Barry's plan that Solovar tossing Grodd some twenty stories to the street didn't kill him.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
What if Savitar is OG Barry - the Barry from the timeline before Thawne hosed it by moving Barry becoming the Flash back a few years? They said in this episode Savitar is the original speedster, and what's more original than a version of Barry from the original timeline? Hell, the newspaper article even says The Flash vanished after the Crisis. Fell into the time stream, had his evil murderous ways enhanced, and is now Savitar.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I'm on board with Savitar being a Time Remnant given what Emo Flash said, though I still hope it's the OG Flash from before Thawne started time-loving.

So, if I get this right, you can change the past no problem, but changing the future is nigh-impossible, even though past and future are relative to the frame of reference to the person in that time. Barry's literally changed the past multiple multiple times now, but the future resists change; inexplicably Emo Flash never tried to fix the far more mutable past it seems.

Also, this seems to trash the timeline again. The future newspaper still said that Flash disappeared after a Crisis, just the byline with different. Presumably that means it was a recent article, yet now we learn that Flash stopped the superhero gig about 2020 after the speed force trap was made.

I love Barry sitting at a table writing all sorts of equations just to come to the conclusion that he needs to go to 2024.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Savitar is our collective disappointments in another buildup without a quality payoff.

Like last season, where all the stuff with Jay and Hunter and Zoom killing Jay and none of it met the hype.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I'm okay with the reveal, but literally doing the whole "I am the future Flash" and pinning all of the reveal on a missing comma is just the most cringe-worthy, head-slapping poo poo ever. That was dumb

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Julian is going to be crazy pissed once it's been revealed that Savitar is Barry, given how Savitar mind-hosed him into servitude.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I like that they directly address legit qualms about the show, even if they're dismissive and tongue in cheek.

"Why don't I just kill myself like Eddie?"
"How can we afford this apartment?"
"Why am I much funner on screen when I'm not a brooding twit?"

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
There's nothing in Terminator that says that it's anything but a closed loop without start or end, simply existing as it always was; anything else is just fan theory and isn't borne out by the movie.

Same with Savitar. Savitar always just exists. It's important to note that Savitar's appearance on the show isn't chronological. Savitar first shows up as a projection from the version that's trapped in the Speed Force. That Savitar is from further on in the timeline. Wally lets him out and now he's there physically but due to "gently caress you speed force" mechanics came out in our "present", his past. He goes on to kill Iris in order to cause Barry enough emotional trauma to create a speed remnant that goes batty and becomes Savitar; four years later Barry traps him in the speed force.

We ultimately don't know what happens to the Savitar we're following right now who is at the end of his personal timeline. He doesn't become the time remnant that then becomes Savitar, so presumably there's an endpoint for him we haven't seen yet. Technically he should already know his future if Barry and team are the ones that defeat him, though.

The bit about Barry just killing himself (or not making a time remnant) NOT breaking the cycle seems absurd but, as pointed out with Thawne, it isn't that cut and dried because "gently caress you speed force AND time travel". It's not as much of a stretch in logic as a bunch of other poo poo on the show.

No idea how they're going to resolve this. All season they've been going "we need to change the future gently caress nothing we do actually changes the future"; Savitar says that simply killing himself won't stop it either. If the answer is "Barry thinks they can't change the future and then he goes faster and does change the future" it's going to be poo poo. Given how the show has gone I'm still expecting them to go this route and just ignore everything they said about it not being possible, but it'd be nice if there was something completely lateral and out of the blue that fixed it.

Despite it all, I still think this might be the strongest season. S1 was carried by Stab-Happy-Wells a lot, but S3 is pretty decent on its own.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Barry being nice to Savitar and it working could have been the bridge to "Got me again, Flash!" but it's a TV show that has to appeal to more people than just pure-strain comic book nerds. They never would have gone that route despite it being a great option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl91v2Mvv94

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

8one6 posted:

Barry's normal breakfast includes eggs, toast, bacon, an entire 10 inch chocolate cake 40 cakes and a large Supreme pizza.

• Locked thread