Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Saints Row 4 is the most recent game in the world's premiere GTA Clone Turned Goku Simulator series. It all started with some nerd trying to join a street gang, then escalated wildly until he was fighting aliens as the president of the united states.

At the time of writing this, Volition is still managing to escalate beyond what we could expect the series to go to. It's completely bananas and amazing.

The LP

Grace will be joining me for another Co-op LP, meaning the expected time of us betraying each other will be measured in minutes. While I've played 2, 3, and a good chunk of 4, Grace has not played any of the Saints Row games, so this will be brand new territory for him. We're playing the PS4 version Saints Row IV: Re-Elected, which means we've got all the DLC built in right away. We also don't know what almost any of it is, so bear with us if we don't show off unlocked stuff right away.

This LP will also be very casual, so don't expect any speedruns or in depth mechanics being described. There'll also be a lot of alcohol involved, although thankfully no drinking game.

Keep spoilers to a minimum, remember Grace doesn't know what happens in this game, and you don't wanna ruin the surprise, do you?

Meet your Presidents!

Kazuhira "Master" "McDonnell" "Speak Kikongo? Not For Longo!" "Iceman" "No literally he throws ice a lot" "Bennedict" Miller
Played by: Danaru

After being the head of multiple mercenary companies and an American special forces unit, Master Miller was attacked by a Russian cowboy in his own home over a love triangle spat from like twenty years ago or something. Offended by this level of rudeness, Miller said eff all of this and decided to join a street gang. Things got way out of hand really quickly, and now Miller is one of the presidents of the United States.

Beverly "Bev" Bev
Played by: Grace

Recruited into the Saints shortly after the Steelport incident because she beat the hell out of everyone else trying to join up. She wasn't even there to join she just wandered in and started throwing people around. The crew appreciated her entrepreneurial spirit and recruited her right away. Changes her appearance top to bottom depending on what mood she's in. Never EVER talk to her when she has a red ponytail.

Why are there two first episodes?

As has been tradition for as long as we've been making videos, episode one was plagued by constant gently caress-ups, including a particular mistake we decided to record through, expecting it to take less time to fix. The episode you're seeing is the third attempt at episode 1 and we were making it work no matter what. :argh:

If you only want to see the half hour of Saints Row content, watch the short version. If you want to see all nearly two hours of nonsense and mostly confused yelling, you'll want the long version.

Episodes:

Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 1 - Meet Your Presidents (Short Version)
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 1 - Meet Your Presidents (Long Version)
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 2 - Gotta Go Fast
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 3 - The Big Gay Ambulance
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 4 - It's Miller Time
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 5 - It's Still Miller Time But It's The Lame Miller Instead Of Kaz
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 6 - An Excellent Gun
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 7 - Nyteblade: The Anime: The Fanfiction
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 8 - Dan and Grace Fight A Giant loving Soda
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 9 - Stealth Mission
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 10 - Get In The Car, Loser
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 11 - Hail to the King
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 12 - Deleted From Presidency
SaintsRow 13 mp4
Let's Play Saints Row XV Episode 1 - Versed in Xenos
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 14 - Saints of Rage
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 15 - Dan Time Is Eternal
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 16 - Teamwork
Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 17 - Grace Strike

Danaru fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

It all started with some nerd trying to join a street gang, then escalated wildly until he was fighting aliens as the president of the united states.

At the time of writing this, Volition is still managing to escalate beyond what we could expect the series to go to. It's completely bananas and amazing.

And yet it still seems grounded and realistic next to Metal Gear lore.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If there's alcohol involved in this LP, please bring Panzer Skank as a co-player.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Not gonna lie. watching the gloriously spectacular collapse of Dan over the course of the long version is at least as entertaining as three full updates.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Lazy Bear posted:

Not gonna lie. watching the gloriously spectacular collapse of Dan over the course of the long version is at least as entertaining as three full updates.

I can't believe Dan and grace are fuckin banned.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Nonsense and confused yelling! We're behind the curtain, people.

(PS: I remember the dogtags, because I can't get them :saddowns:)

EDIT: Dan did nothing wrong, it's all a conspiracy from High Voltage. THEY KNOW :tinfoil:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 25, 2016

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I clicked on the long version as hard as possible. Worth every second. I am so sorry for your pain.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

How do you accidentally delete the game you're supposed to be lping

Anyways I'm looking forward to watching this glorious trainwreck :allears:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So I started watching the long version because I like watching Dan suffer and all of a sudden Ape Escape. And Dark Souls. And MGSV. And...maybe more I dunno all i did was just skip ahead in the video a few times.

Dan, Elbaki demands you put up a proper OP for all of those other LPs in the video.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Angry Lobster posted:

If there's alcohol involved in this LP, please bring Panzer Skank as a co-player.

This is a great idea, especially the former.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Simsmagic posted:

How do you accidentally delete the game you're supposed to be lping

It was like 11:00 at night and we'd gone through several hours and at least a litre and a half of cider by the time we got here :argh:

The rest (we've recorded ten episodes so far) goes off without a hitch, it's only ever the first episode that reliably gives us issues.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Your bosses are boring.

They still look human.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pyroi posted:

Your bosses are boring.

They still look human.

We can only have so much Shrek. Besides, human proportions means a greater understanding of their human suffering.

(I would have also accepted Boss Mayor turned to crime and Presidency Mike Hagar.)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We agreed to start off easy with the presidents :v: If we start off with Solid Gold Super Saiyan Luchador Hercule Poirot, we wouldn't have anywhere to escalate to

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

We agreed to start off easy with the presidents :v: If we start off with Solid Gold Super Saiyan Luchador Hercule Poirot, we wouldn't have anywhere to escalate to

Not gonna lie. I'm really looking forward to your self insert interpretation of the undefeated of the Dan edit that out, SUPER CANADA.

Only barley related, I don't think the world is going to bless us with co-op for DBZ Xenoverse 2's story mode. It would be the most fabulous time cops ever :v:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
It's almost sad there's no drinking game. Could be like 'Every time there's a friendly fire incident resulting in death, the perpetrator takes a drink."

But then I find drunk Dan/Grace hilarious.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Lazy Bear posted:

But then I find drunk Dan/Grace hilarious.

That's why the two hour version was so good.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Dan, I'd like to mention, when you accidentally deleted the game I laughed so hard I nearly puked, and I was stone cold sober.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm so glad you didn't just go with Co-Presidents Trump and Clinton. That would be far too depressing for such a lighthearted game.

That two hour version was exactly what I needed on a long car trip, too, so thanks for that.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Danaru posted:

Don't stop recording, Everythings fine

Understatement of the year. Loving this.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren: New Episode! :siren:

Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 2 - Gotta Go Fast

As an example that should set the tone for the entire LP, within three seconds of us getting control in the real game, I was hit by a car and Grace had killed about four people on the sidewalk.

I also refuse to drive without constantly slamming the powerslide button because powersliding is awesome in this game.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I hate you for making me want to replay this game for the billionth time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
In all of these games, of all types, it seems trying to kill people by running them over is the hardest thing to do in the world unless you are already driving at 70 miles per hour.

But roll over and park on top of somebody's skull with a an 18 wheeler car transport truck? Eh, they just shrug it off and pop right back up.

I prefer most of the "Normal" weapons, but I always make sure to at least buy some upgrades for the alien weapons for Reasons.

Grace's offscreen commentary gives some amazing mental images "Why is everything exploding?... Oh because I'm running over cars." Bev gives zero fucks about her surroundings.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
So are we all just pretending not to notice that Dan almost accidentally deleted Phantom Pain, too?

Man, I knew Saints Row games got crazy, but this is definitely a step beyond the last time I paid attention to this series. In the best possible way.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Whoa whoa whoa. You referenced doing a k-turn.....

Do you play xwang?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Do you play xwang?

You don't need to play a game to know what a k turn is...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Angry Lobster posted:

After watching their SR2 LP, I just want to see Kaubocks and Panzer do the entire series.

Danaru posted:

I also refuse to drive without constantly slamming the powerslide button because powersliding is awesome in this game.
Haha, that is awesome!

Section Z posted:

I prefer most of the "Normal" weapons, but I always make sure to at least buy some upgrades for the alien weapons for Reasons.
Yeah, I don't know why Danaru said the alien weapons are the best, they're pretty much the worst. The regular human weapons are more efficient and the special weapons are more fun, the standard alien guns are kind of poo poo.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 30, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

GirlCalledBob posted:

So are we all just pretending not to notice that Dan almost accidentally deleted Phantom Pain, too?

Man, I knew Saints Row games got crazy, but this is definitely a step beyond the last time I paid attention to this series. In the best possible way.

Yes we are, shhhh

Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 3 - The Big Gay Ambulance

The most glorious irony is Grace spending like 50 edited out minutes of perfecting his in game outfit, only to wind up naked immediately in the next mission.

For a fun behind the scenes thing:

This is why I have music turned off in general :shepface:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Somehow, I've managed to avoid getting more than one copyright claim per GTA episode despite those being full of licensed music. I figured that the music is too big a part of games like this to be left out altogether.

(now watch my next video get blocked worldwide and/or my channel banned from Youtube)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You killed seven billion people. :mad:
Whoops. :v:

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
So something I found out on my playthrough, if your resolution is set too low, it makes those final closing tunnels during the ship escape impossible. It took me a good two hours to figure out why I couldn't get through it no matter what I did.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
And this is why, even though I prefer most of the normal weapons, I always make sure to upgrade all the alien stuff.

Because your simulation upgrades of alien guns transfer over to naked time :v:

I do like how the minigames actually benefit from teamwork. If it's a timed race, it will just end at the first person to cross the finish line. If it's a score challenge, it adds them together and keeps stacking points.

Also, people really do glitch the gently caress out around rifts. So I hope you get some footage of that to show off.

EDIT: So, uh. What's the "Fun behind the scenes thing"-oh I guess SA's just being finicky for me in wanting to actually load the link you put up.

Oh content ID. Why are you such a bitch.

Fashion Edit: Heels totally alter your height confirmed by disco.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 2, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Do you play xwang?

they could have also watched kim possible

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like the alien weapons :colbert: Well, more specifically, I like the Dominator until I get the Disintegrator.

Poil posted:

You killed seven billion people. :mad:
Whoops. :v:

6.999 billion more Zin and we'll make it even :c00lbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

I like the alien weapons :colbert: Well, more specifically, I like the Dominator until I get the Disintegrator.

I admit a love/hate relationship with the Alien assault rifle. I bring it out, things are super great, and then repeat usage splits the shots and I can't hit a loving thing past shotgun range unless I let go of the trigger for a bit. And I didn't bring out a fully automatic weapon in a saints game to use short controlled bursts :colbert:

Honestly, the greatest superpower would be the ability to loving fire your guns in the air.

For example, the alien rocket launcher is super great, but it's a real slog at the lower upgrade ends where I'll freeze a warden, charge and fire a fancy alien rocket as soon as I'm allowed (Which is a real bitch, if I have to chase them up to a rooftop), and then they unfreeze and dodge at the last second :argh: Then I say to myself "I know, I'll use the normal rocket launcher instead!" And then everything is great... until I quickly run out of ammo :doh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Section Z posted:

Honestly, the greatest superpower would be the ability to loving fire your guns in the air.

Yeah, that's probably the biggest letdown in the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Saints Row IV Episode 4 - It's Miller Time

A large portion of this LP will be just us gushing about how much we love this game, because it is the best game. :allears:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

If Master Miller and Matt Miller became a celebrity couple, would their media pet name be Mattster?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I assumed that this episode was going to include the mission "Miller Time". Also, tip for fraud, if you roll sideways instead of forwards you can basically cartwheel down the street forever, and the activity won't end as long as you're still in a combo, so if you somehow don't manage to get enough points within the time limit you can use that trick to go for extra time. But once you figure out how to do never-ending cartwheels you're not likely to have any difficulty with fraud ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tiggum posted:

I assumed that this episode was going to include the mission "Miller Time". Also, tip for fraud, if you roll sideways instead of forwards you can basically cartwheel down the street forever, and the activity won't end as long as you're still in a combo, so if you somehow don't manage to get enough points within the time limit you can use that trick to go for extra time. But once you figure out how to do never-ending cartwheels you're not likely to have any difficulty with fraud ever again.

That and try to bounce off of semis. I find that they offer the best cash payouts, plus they're harder to miss.

• Locked thread