Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

inklesspen posted:

This seems like a reasonable set of categories. Can you think of any situation under which these categories would require a judgement call on the part of the people running the awards?

There are some games that are sort of mostly card games, but with one or two boardgamey elements, and vice-versa. There are some games that are best played as 2-player games, but which support more (or fewer!) players. There are sometimes "expansions" which also work as standalone games.

I feel as though those situations are usually resolvable, though, and ultimately if you just made a rule that any given product can't win in more than one category, that'd be fine. You could also just have nominations be non-category-specific, and leave it to the appropriate judges to categorize any product after it is successfully nominated. The only problem would be if some categories are very crowded fields with many nominees while others have few, because in those cases, a given product would have a "better chance" if it is categorized in the less crowded category. Again though, I don't feel like that's likely to be that big of a deal, especially if the contest is otherwise well and fairly run.

Here's some brainstorming for categories:

Family Boardgames (typically all-ages, simple rules, sold at target or walmart)
Hobbyist boardgames (typically not sold at big-box stores, typically more complex or involved rules)
Boardgame-like card games (games which usually have a fixed set of cards, often other game components besides the cards, and which involve boardgame-like play. I realize this is still pretty vague. I am thinking of games like Thunderstone, games which use the cards to form a map or puzzle on the table, etc.)
LCGs (card games for which supplements and packs, if they are sold, have preset and known contents)
CCGs (card games for which supplements or packs contain contents randomized from among a superset of possible cards)
Miniatures-based skirmish wargames
Miniatures-based mass battle games
Historical re-enactment tabletop non-miniature games
Hobbyist supplies for miniatures-based gaming (includes terrain, paint, etc. specifically made for minis gaming)
Game supplement for an existing board game
Game supplement for an exsiting card game
Game supplement for an existing miniatures-based tabletop wargame
(I think it'd be worthwhile to recognize outstanding game supplements even if the base game has been out for more than a year. I'm thinking everything from expansions to a board game, to new miniatures or starter packs or whatever for a tabletop wargame)
Outstanding completed trad game crowdfunding campaign (recognize kickstarters and other crowdfunders that complete and deliver successfully an excellent trad game product)
Best technical writing in a trad game
Best creative writing in a trad game
(or possibly instead) Best worldbuilding in a trad game
Best customer service by a trad game company

I'm brainstorming here, I don't think we should actually have this many categories, it starts to get ridiculous, but I think there's significant numbers of goons in TG discussing each of the above as a matter of course, so there's probably enough opinions to go around to generate nominations, votes, and winners in all of them.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

natetimm posted:

Miniatures are notorious for being overpriced, it would be nice if one of the categories awarded for them took price or value into account. You usually get those in starter sets and collections similar to them. Maybe a "best set or collection" category.

I'm assuming nominators and voters would take value for price into account for all categories.

I formally volunteer to help write unambiguous category definitions for all categories, and then act as a judge for resolving category questions and disputes. I think there should be a panel of three such judges, to enable a brief debate and conclusive vote for such questions as they arise.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

inklesspen posted:

The committee (myself and two others) are nearly done with the next revision of the procedures document.

Who are these mystery power brokers

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I'm not offended guys, that's fine.

I am bemused, though. Knowing in advance that this undertaking is bound to be a target for drama and controversy, why would you start off from the outset by being intentionally opaque and secretive?

Maybe just inexperience, which I'm sympathetic to, so I'm trying to sort of goad you into aiming the gun a little farther from your figurative foot.

I'll be explicit, instead; be scrupulously transparent about absolutely everything, to a fault. Be relentlessly polite, even in response to impoliteness. Anticipate the liklihood of accusations of bias, and head them off by constantly documenting the unbiased process you're following.

You will never completely avoid the drama, but you can at least not paint obvious targets on your back. Step one is to do your organizing in a transparent way. I realize IRC is way more convenient, but it's also basicially indistinguishable from a smokey back room.

e. Also, recognize that you can't really get away with "this is my thing because I'm the one stepping up and making the effort" while also claiming the imprimatur of the SA TG community. If this is the award given by our community, then it cannot also belong to a self-appointed volunteer dictator. I'm certain you'll be rewarded by showing leadership while also not acting as though you get to have final say, even if that approach is much more difficult to manage.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 26, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

On the one hand I sincerely hope I didn't kill this thing single-handedly. Seriously.

On the other hand, if criticism or even unfair shitposting by one goon was enough to kill it, it was doomed from the start.

That said the idea has merit and I hope it moves forward. I cannot run it or take a lead role, though; I have too many other commitments, TGSS being a major one. Also I'm stuck in hellish jury duty selection for a 6+ week murder trial this week so I'm not even able to give my lethal shitposting the attention and time it deserves.

• Locked thread