Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Once upon a time, some goons in the TG Industry thread thought we should have our own awards which would surely be widely respected and coveted.

:siren: Please disregard the rest of this OP and proceed to this post instead. :siren:

inklesspen posted:

I've prepared a draft of the rules for our award, the Groggies: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iT-aqE36_CblnG4u8AJNuSFBq9-DMTD-o-Y9h-sBqmU/edit?usp=sharing (this document has been superseded)

I expect revisions to these rules will occur before the nominations open. Obviously it would be foolish to run an award without a popular mandate.

I have slightly moderated my stance on non-elfgames and will add support for them if there are (a) generally accepted categories for them and (b) generally accepted authorities to handle any of the things which the rules say are up to the Administrators' discretion. This has been accomplished.

remusclaw posted:

In the best game category, there are two prizes, best game and best licensed game. Is giving an award for best licensed game, essentially giving licensed games two chances for a prize rather than one, while an original game only has the one category it can win in? Should there be a best original game category? Aren't these categories at least 50% likely to overlap, or are we not considering licensed games in the best game category?

This is a good question and I would like to see more discussion about this point. Is it worthwhile to explicitly recognize games based on licensed properties?

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Here's an idea: You don't nominate or vote for Best Original Game or Best Licensed Game; you just vote for Best Game. Once the votes are tallied, the winner will also be the winner of whichever of the other two categories it fits, and the top runner-up that fits the other category is the winner of that category.

For example, if the Best Game results came back like:

1. Breakfast Cult
  2. Adventures in Middle Earth
  3. Masks
  4. Godbound
  5. 7th Sea 2nd Edition

in this scenario, Breakfast Cult would win Best Game and Best Original Game, while Adventures in Middle Earth would win Best Licensed Game. If AiME came out on top, it would win Best Game and Best Licensed Game, while BC would win just Best Original Game.

Thoughts?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

I'd like to see this list expanded to include the other side of traditional games, board games.

I have already stated what is required for this to happen. Think of it as a stretch goal, but instead of pledging money, you just have to come up with a coherent set of categories for board games.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Gau posted:

I don't think you're going to need an independent verification code or anything. Just have the voter list their forums name in the form. Make a thread for registration and then you can just check to make sure they posted in it.

Unfortunately it turns out that sometimes people tell lies on the internet. For example, someone could fill out the form claiming to be Gau, while not actually being Gau. This would be very annoying for me to resolve.

Gau posted:

There should be a committee or something to head this up.

There is.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

GrandpaPants posted:

I would like some board and card game representation as well. As far as categories, off the top of my head, I can think of:

Best Board Game
Best Card Game
Best Expansion
Best Thematic Game
Best Presentation
Best 2 Player Game
Best Party Game
Best New Mechanic/Rule

You can go for more niche categories like "Best cooperative game" or something, but I have no idea if enough games of a certain type come out every year. The above would be a good spread and would integrate pretty well with the Critical Hits without bloating them up too much.

This seems like a reasonable set of categories. Can you think of any situation under which these categories would require a judgement call on the part of the people running the awards?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

and leave it to the appropriate judges

This has been the sticking point thus far; plenty of folks have said board/card games should be covered, but it took until GrandpaPants's post for anyone to suggest a set of categories and nobody has expressed interest in resolving board/card game categorization difficulties.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

GrandpaPants posted:

I'd be happy to be one of the panel of judges, but obviously my knowledge of board games isn't absolute. There are a few people in the bg thread who write good posts and also play a number of the new releases, so let's see if they bite.

Mind, it's not that you're judging which game is best; it's that you may be called upon to judge "is this properly an expansion or not".

Jimbozig posted:

When will the awards run and what will the cutoff dates for games' releases be?

This is something seriously to consider because unlike the Oscars where you can have awards for movies that haven't even gone into wide release yet, for a fan-voted thing like this you'll want to have a significant amount of time between the cutoff and the voting, both to give word of mouth time to work and to give hype time to die down.

The Hugo Awards are for works released in the "calendar" year prior to the year the awards are held; this is pretty okay because nominations close in March.

My thought is that you want things released in roughly 15 months prior to 3 months prior. So, if nominations were opened at the start of October, it would be for games released between 2015 July 1 and 2016 June 30th.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 25, 2016

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
The committee (myself and two others) are nearly done with the next revision of the procedures document.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
It's not a judge's award! It's modeled on the Hugo Awards (with the fixes they applied this year to prevent rabid puppies from pulling shenanigans).

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Yeah, the consensus seems to be to go for the safe-but-boring one, Critical Hits.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
This is version 0.0.2 of the specification document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15K0p56iFaNVVHLXnVZAtHTQ5gQbzNobciKWSimnTxSc/edit?usp=sharing

To answer Leperflesh's muckraking question, the Critical Hits awards cabal consists of myself, unzealous, FewtureMD, MollyMetroid, and sorcerer emeritus WinsonPaine. If all goes well, we should be able to open nominations in October.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Yeah I don't know why I could have thought Leperflesh is being snarky. I was snarky in response.

Anyway, look, here's the thing. Just because me and a few other folks are putting together a proposal for the awards doesn't mean it's the only way these things can work. I'll be honest and say I'm the primary person writing the spec and making proposals here, but the other cabal members have been making their opinions known as well. We're not even doing it secretly; it's just being coordinated in IRC chat instead of on a thread. If I'm doing awards wrong, step up and show how they ought to be run. But Something Awful design-by-forum-thread things have a pretty good track record of never doing anything worthwhile, which is why I'm doing these things the way I am.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Winson_Paine posted:

I think the main things at this point, unless I am mistaken, like the two major obstacles are:

- Some means of nominations/voting that leaves the result reasonably certain of "one goon, one vote" without requiring PMs or some weird nonsense.

- A list of topics/categories. I think Minis and Board Games should be included (other stuff? are there enough CCGs around to warrant such a thing anymore?) and think the categories could probably be pretty similar. Maybe have a Best in Show/GOTY for overall.

I'm working on the first thing here.

The second thing is already in the doc I linked, but I'll summarize it here:

quote:

RPGs
  • Best Roleplaying Game
  • Best Art
  • Best Setting
  • Best Mechanics
  • Best Layout/Formatting
  • Best Game Fiction
  • Best Game Supplement/Adventure
Board/Card games
  • Best Board Game
  • Best Card Game
  • Best Expansion
  • Best Thematic Game
  • Best Presentation
  • Best 2 Player Game
  • Best Party Game
  • Best New Mechanic/Rule

The RPGs division also has some things like "Best Licensed Game" "Best Free Game" and "Best Budget Game", etc, which are based on filtering the Best Game nominees to ones that meet these criteria.

Please see the document for a fuller explanation of my proposal.

If you have suggestions for changing these categories, now's the best time to bring them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
People I respect are telling me I should invite Leperflesh to join the committee, that he is good at organizing things. But I just can't do that. I can't work with the guy whose first response was "Let me be the first to heap abuse upon you", even if he thinks it was satire.

So instead I will step down. I hope the procedures document I already wrote will be of value to anyone who tries to organize these awards. I believe I have a good plan for how to do the "one poster, one vote", which I shall elaborate upon if people are interested in hearing it, and I'd still be willing to write the web interface for it if it's wanted.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 27, 2016

• Locked thread