Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Wow, maelstrom is right.

Going one further than what Leperflesh said, since this is supposed to be highlighting the best with our excellent critical eyes, catching things that those other awards don't et cetera, it should probably likewise be a model award process. A good starting point would be that the judges should have played the games in question, and if they request stuff for free for review, they are obligated to actually, you know, use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Winson_Paine posted:

Again there are no judges, this is gonna be a popular vote Hugo sorta thing.

Even better!

In terms of how I would use such a thing (independent of voting), I do value awards websites that make it easy to see what games have won, and what games were nominated. I have often found myself exploring new corners of traditional games (Euro games, war games, et cetera) and have been frustrated with the navigation of awards websites in my quest to find out what people have thought was "good."

I don't know how to make good awards websites, only how to complain about bad ones.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

My categories would be:

Board game for hobbyists
Board game for non-hobbyists
Board game expansion
War game
RPG (big)
RPG (small)
RPG expansion
GOTY

That's all.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Winson_Paine posted:

What would the split there be? It is an interesting distinction and I know what you mean I just dont know how like I would quantify that.

I was channeling the difference between the Spiel des Jahres and the Kennerspiel. The non-hobbyist ones would be things like Codenames or Patchwork -- not just party games.

Edit: In terms of strict criteria . . . I don't think you can. You probably knew what I meant by "big" and "small" RPGs, but that would also necessarily be in the box labeled "I know it when I see it." An example of a rule of thumb might be "can you explain the game in less than 12 minutes?"

homullus fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 26, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Winson_Paine posted:

That makes sense.

I think keeping the catagories limited the first time around makes a lot of sense too; maybe 3-5 per broad grouping (RPGs, Board Games, Minis, Whatever) and if it goes well next year things can expand?
Less is more. Technical aspects (editing, rulebooks, components, art) are important, but they're what make the best games what they are, and I think are better left as criteria than categories.

• Locked thread