Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
In regards to the specification document (0.0.2), it appears decent upon first glance except for a few issues I've made note of below.

Administrators
My preference would be for less perpetuity of position, fewer "core" administrators, and more democracy in the creation of temporary administrators. Life happens sometimes, and someone who was an administrator one year might not want or be able to do the same the next. I envision the "core" administrators having longer terms to provide stability for the awards, and self-nomination followed by some form of popular vote for temporary/annual administrators.

Obviously, with things sort of already set up in terms of initial administrators, I understand being reluctant to change this for the inaugural awards. Additionally, there is something to be said for the expediency of voting for temporary administrators being closed to the core group. At the very least, though, I recommend a process for the replacement of an administrator to be specified.

Eligibility Window
Since there are no rules specified for the frequency of nomination periods, there's currently the possibility for eligibility gaps to occur where works never become eligible for nomination.

Eligible Works
There's ambiguity in the level of disqualification of works promoted by attempts to subvert, compromise, or interfere with the integrity of the awards (i.e. categorical versus complete disqualification).

Eligible Voters
If nomination periods are going to be announced prior to their opening, the minimum duration between announcement and opening should be specified somewhere.

Categories
I am disappointed by the currently nominated categories' lack of inclusivity for the full spectrum of traditional games. They seem to be lopsided in focus and don't include miniature wargaming at all. Additionally, starting out small (in total number of categories) and expanding from there seems like an option to consider.

Even though I'm not well-versed in all aspects of the hobby, I can try to come up with a suggested set of categories, but I need to think about it a little bit.

Everything else looks fine.

Winson_Paine posted:

You could even offer to help, or offer helpful suggestions of some kind.

They did.

Leperflesh posted:

I formally volunteer to help write unambiguous category definitions for all categories, and then act as a judge for resolving category questions and disputes. I think there should be a panel of three such judges, to enable a brief debate and conclusive vote for such questions as they arise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread