Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless
serious question. im consumed by the vitriol of selfishness. but i think i have an idea of true love. i think for creatures, finite beings i mean, its that we ought to sacrifice our own ego-comparative behavior in favor of empathetic action in the light of the knowledge that when all other things are stripped away, religion for example, there is a transcedental yearning in each soul that may find its rest in this sort of community thing im talking about. what do you guys think? you can talk about whether cats love each other if you want, or the 'love' of god, or whether love even exists, but thats a bit negative id say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masturbasturd
[i][/it's about feelin comfortable and chill, which is why I'm here :hfive:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

big black turnout

i think it involves not being hurt by infants?

Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless

big black turnout posted:

i think it involves not being hurt by infants?

you think? because i doubt john ramsay could have been hurt jonbenet. i think it has more to do with hakuna matata, because the 'no worries' (rought translation) attitude leads to holocaust standerbyism. what im saying is it cant be defined negatively but rather demands a positive response.

----------------

ziasquinn

you're close op. you'll discover in your quest that true love possesses some physical attributes that are often given to mockery or mimicry, the possessivness expressed through physical contact, that is a hollow imitation of what the conveyor believes constitutes "true love" but actually makes a cultural joke of the notion : because you'll find in actual, deep, convicted and reciprocated love, possession is absent because it is recognized as an ego effacing substrate of the objective reality of being so ridiculously and completely aligned with another individual within this physical realm and dimension.

too many don't recognize that power.

and even more try to force it

ziasquinn

let's say this: true love madness makes you "believe" in mortality, because immorality would destroy such a construction.

Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

you're close op. you'll discover in your quest that true love possesses some physical attributes that are often given to mockery or mimicry, the possessivness expressed through physical contact, that is a hollow imitation of what the conveyor believes constitutes "true love" but actually makes a cultural joke of the notion : because you'll find in actual, deep, convicted and reciprocated love, possession is absent because it is recognized as an ego effacing substrate of the objective reality of being so ridiculously and completely aligned with another individual within this physical realm and dimension.

too many don't recognize that power.

and even more try to force it

this reminds me of the notion of divine love ejaculated by richard of st victor. he was arguing for the necessity of the trinity as against less or more divine beings. he said this. self love is a good but inadequate: inward, selfish, selfdestructive. reciprocal love of another is a higher good: they love you, you love them, in an exchange. but he said this was inadequate. what about two beings, in love with each other, sharing their love of a third? this is shared love between lovers, what the fathers might call agape. you might multiply the number of those thirds loved by the two but it doesnt change its intrinsic nature. hence a trinity.

----------------

ziasquinn

I'm reminded of Alan watts

quote:

We must here make a clear distinction between belief and faith, because, in general practice, belief has come to mean a state of mind which is almost the opposite of faith. Belief, as I use the word here, is the insistence that the truth is what one would “lief” or wish it to be. The believer will open his mind to the truth on the condition that it fits in with his preconceived ideas and wishes. Faith, on the other hand, is an unreserved opening of the mind to the truth, whatever it may turn out to be. Faith has no preconceptions; it is a plunge into the unknown. Belief clings, but faith lets go. In this sense of the word, faith is the essential virtue of science, and likewise of any religion that is not self-deception.

[…]

The present phase of human thought and history … almost compels us to face reality with open minds, and you can only know God through an open mind just as you can only see the sky through a clear window. You will not see the sky if you have covered the glass with blue paint.

But “religious” people who resist the scraping of the paint from the glass, who regard the scientific attitude with fear and mistrust, and confuse faith with clinging to certain ideas, are curiously ignorant of laws of the spiritual life which they might find in their own traditional records. A careful study of comparative religion and spiritual philosophy reveals that abandonment of belief, of any clinging to a future life for one’s own, and of any attempt to escape from finitude and mortality, is a regular and normal stage in the way of the spirit. Indeed, this is actually such a “first principle” of the spiritual life that it should have been obvious from the beginning, and it seems, after all, surprising that learned theologians should adopt anything but a cooperative attitude towards the critical philosophy of science.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/06/27/alan-watts-belief-vs-faith/

Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless

alan watts is very good. i think faith isnt 'believing in things you know arent true', thats a joke definition that idiots take seriously. real faith exists in the interstice between hope and conviction in existential realities necessary to stave off selfslaughter. its hope with conviction but without mindless dogmatism. we think this is weird but all our reasoning depends upon such primitive posits, or as chesterton called them platonic mysticisms.

----------------

ziasquinn

Orkin Mang posted:

alan watts is very good. i think faith isnt 'believing in things you know arent true', thats a joke definition that idiots take seriously. real faith exists in the interstice between hope and conviction in existential realities necessary to stave off selfslaughter. its hope with conviction but without mindless dogmatism. we think this is weird but all our reasoning depends upon such primitive posits, or as chesterton called them platonic mysticisms.

I agree, and believe the division between delusion and faith is narrow but extremely important. exactly what you said- "hope with conviction but without mindless dogmatism"

Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I agree, and believe the division between delusion and faith is narrow but extremely important. exactly what you said- "hope with conviction but without mindless dogmatism"

we all have our mystic posits. the atheist that they live on in their legacy, or their matter persists perhaps until the end of the universe; the theist that they too will exist but as a participant in the love of a being so transcedent in its infinity that it comprehends not just the great but the small, and that as william james says, i would have ever sussuration ofe very leaf of every day in the history of the world attain immortality

----------------

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
true love is like being touched on your genitals, except they're the genitals of your soul. and also you can't be forced to testify against them in court. my uncle told me that.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless

mysterious frankie posted:

true love is like being touched on your genitals, except they're the genitals of your soul. and also you can't be forced to testify against them in court. my uncle told me that.

no one *cinches garrote* believes a child

----------------

problematic hug

Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless

literally my favorite img

----------------

MiracleWhale

Orkin Mang posted:

literally my favorite img

Boomzilla

Orkin Mang posted:

no one *cinches garrote* believes a child

MiracleWhale

perhaps a love can only be true if it has come to an end. love is a garden you must tend but a gardener looks too often at the dirt and not the flowers above

Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless

MiracleWhale posted:

perhaps a love can only be true if it has come to an end. love is a garden you must tend but a gardener looks too often at the dirt and not the flowers above

but then the love is an aspiration. milton would describe eden as the work of god but in need of human tenderness. the fragrance rises tot he sky, and the depth of the rivers are unfathomable in their embrace

----------------

Elusif

I think it involves suffering. Suffering is the greatest thing you can experience. Look at it this way if you suffer enough eventually that level of pain is felt to be normal and thus you can suffer even greater pain. Eventually the suffering gauge doubles back on itself and you experience true bliss.

Orkin Mang

by FactsAreUseless

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I think it involves suffering. Suffering is the greatest thing you can experience. Look at it this way if you suffer enough eventually that level of pain is felt to be normal and thus you can suffer even greater pain. Eventually the suffering gauge doubles back on itself and you experience true bliss.

i want to agree, but what of the crueler cases? the holocaust, jonbenet ramsay, innocents being slaughterd? in certain conditions sufferins is redemptive but in many others its simlply suffering without remainder. whence?

----------------

Elusif

In valhalla you are given a sword and a chance to strike back against those who tormented you.

ziasquinn

Orkin Mang posted:

but then the love is an aspiration. milton would describe eden as the work of god but in need of human tenderness. the fragrance rises tot he sky, and the depth of the rivers are unfathomable in their embrace

I think it is an aspiration, that two people aspire fly and create together. that's why relationships are work. and worth

Senior Management

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXWRTEbj1I

:jerry:

Applewhite

by vyelkin
I punched the title of your thread into the MIT supercomputer and all its CPUs burned out, OP. I hope you like lawsuits.

----------------

Moon Atari

I took a philosophy unit that was all about emotions and love was one of the topics. All I can remember though is that the professor used the word fungibility a whole lot. Sorry I couldn't offer anything more helpful.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Moon Atari posted:

I took a philosophy unit that was all about emotions and love was one of the topics. All I can remember though is that the professor used the word fungibility a whole lot. Sorry I couldn't offer anything more helpful.
fungibility ffs?
one love is not the same as another:cmon:
you or your professor soundin like a dope

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
I don't even know what false love is

Senior Management

what about tainted love?

:jerry:

Elusif

Wooooooooo ooooooo ohhh

Bhauk
The more vulnerable I feel the closer I am to getting cum

Carmant

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Love is like a sunset.. you see it and then its gone, then it comes back again a little while later

----------------

Bhauk

Bhauk posted:

The more vulnerable I feel the closer I am to getting cum

this is how I look when https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwer0FaElH4

Commie NedFlanders

self-sacrifice / self-overcoming for another

acts of selflessness leading to serendipidously finding oneself in another

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Commie NedFlanders

Moon Atari posted:

that's amazing i also took a philosophy class but my professor preferred the term "sponge-worthy"

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

King Possum III

"Love is the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition."

(Alexander Smith)

MrWillsauce

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Wooooooooo ooooooo ohhh

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
love is bullshit

MrWillsauce

love is gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky

by zen death robot
i took my wife for ice cream at fossilmans ice creamery last nitgh and we sat in a booth together and i even gave her a kiss <3

----------------

• Locked thread