Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE

beep boop
when you go to reply to a thread, but publish a new thread instead of the reply by mistake :xd: oops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
welcome to my thread on churning butter!

wikipedia posted:

Churning is the process of shaking up cream (or whole milk) to make butter, and various forms of butter churn have been used for the purpose. In Europe from the Middle Ages until the Industrial Revolution, this was generally as simple as a barrel with a plunger in it, which was moved by hand. Afterward, mechanical means of churning were usually substituted and are considered to be far better.

Butter is essentially the fat of milk. It is usually made from sweet cream. In the USA, Ireland, the UK and the Nordic countries, salt is usually added to it. Unsalted (sweet) butters are most commonly used in the rest of Europe. However, it can also be made from acidulated or bacteriologically soured cream. Well into the 19th century butter was still made from cream that had been allowed to stand and sour naturally. The cream was then skimmed from the top of the milk and poured into a wooden tub.

Buttermaking was done by hand in butter churns. The natural souring process is, however, a very sensitive one and infection by foreign microorganisms often spoiled the result. Today's commercial buttermaking is a product of the knowledge and experience gained over the years in such matters as hygiene, bacterial acidifying and heat treatment, as well as the rapid technical development that has led to the advanced machinery now used. The commercial cream separator was introduced at the end of the 19th century, the continuous churn had been commercialized by the middle of the 20th century.

i churn almost daily and find it a great way to spend 25% of my waking hours, please share your experiences with churning here in the butter churning thread!

:love:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
oh god loving dammit ...

:cripes:

i'm so sorry OP

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
can you put it in meme form , op? :)

DisgracelandUSA

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Luvcow posted:

welcome to my thread on churning butter!

i churn almost daily and find it a great way to spend 25% of my waking hours, please share your experiences with churning here in the butter churning thread!

whenever i think about fresh butter i get so loving churned on

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

DisgracelandUSA posted:

whenever i think about fresh butter i get so loving churned on

i'm churning right now, in a few hours i'll finally be able to eat my english muffins

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
that annoying feeling when you churn too much butter and have to bake more english muffins but then you make too many of those and have to churn more butter...

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Ahundredbux posted:

that annoying feeling when you churn too much butter and have to bake more english muffins but then you make too many of those and have to churn more butter...

:smith:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
making a prepackaged rice a roni to save time, realized that it calls for 1tsp of butter, now realizing that it will not take 10 minutes like the package promised :(

Bert Roberge

Ahundredbux posted:

can you put it in meme form , op? :)

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

she can spin my loom i tell you what

Manifisto

ty nesamdoom!

Testikles

Talk about fruit of the loom

*raises eyebrows suggestively and nudges everybody in the thread in the ribs*

I'm saying I'd have sex with her

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nathilus

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
My main problem is that if I havent posted a thread recently enough in the past, my fingers autonomously press post even when I tell them to press reply. :mad:

alnilam

i'd like to point out to our lovely newcomers that even though it may have been more normal in gbs-that-was, in byob we don't consider it "cool" or "chill" or "a good idea" to react to a photo of a lovely female person by posting that you'd have sex with her

as an alternative, might i suggest appreciating the funny joke that the person made out of the photo? namely, "new thread" - which itt means thread as in a discussion thread on a forum - has been reinterpreted as new sewing thread, hence the photo of the lady spinning thread. pretty clever imo!

ty manifisto

SIDS Vicious

that girl looks like a hipster I bet she would make you listen to Belle and Sebastian if you hung out with her

Nathilus

alnilam posted:

i'd like to point out to our lovely newcomers that even though it may have been more normal in gbs-that-was, in byob we don't consider it "cool" or "chill" or "a good idea" to react to a photo of a lovely female person by posting that you'd have sex with her

This is blasphemy! This is MADNESS!!!!

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Nathilus posted:

This is blasphemy! This is MADNESS!!!!

Sorry man. It's kinda weird to creep on someone in a random pic, and can make things uncomfortable.

Nathilus

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Sorry man. It's kinda weird to creep on someone in a random pic, and can make things uncomfortable.

Shoot something went wrong. Let me try this again.

*stage voice*

"This is blasphemy! This is MADNESS!!!!!"

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
lets just churn some butter, it's meditative

alnilam

mods please do Luvcow a solid and rename this thread to "butter churning thread [warning: reply != new thread button!!]"

ty manifisto

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

mods please do Luvcow a solid and rename this thread to "butter churning thread [warning: reply != new thread button!!]"

gently caress

FUUUCCCKKKK!!!!!

quote does not = edit

Three-Phase

by zen death robot
When I think of cream separation one thing comes to mind:

DeLaval

----------------

Applewhite

by vyelkin
You know, there's a story about the two little mice that fell into a pitcher of cream.

The first mouse swam for a little while, but after a few minutes... he gave up. He drowned in the cream.

But the other little mouse kept swimming. He didn't quit. He swam and swam until all his paddling churned that cream into butter and he walked out.

So unless you want a block of butter with a dead mouse at the bottom, don't leave an open pitcher of cream out where mice can fall into it.

Also this story proves something about bootstraps.

----------------

Three-Phase

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

So unless you want a block of butter with a dead mouse at the bottom

That's probably some European delicacy.

----------------

flavor.flv

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

alnilam posted:

as an alternative, might i suggest appreciating the funny joke that the person made out of the photo? namely, "new thread" - which itt means thread as in a discussion thread on a forum - has been reinterpreted as new sewing thread, hence the photo of the lady spinning thread. pretty clever imo!

Oh, haha, I was sitting here trying to figure out what yarn had to do with anything. I spend too much time with wool crafts!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Applewhite posted:

You know, there's a story about the two little mice that fell into a pitcher of cream.

The first mouse swam for a little while, but after a few minutes... he gave up. He drowned in the cream.

But the other little mouse kept swimming. He didn't quit. He swam and swam until all his paddling churned that cream into butter and he walked out.

So unless you want a block of butter with a dead mouse at the bottom, don't leave an open pitcher of cream out where mice can fall into it.

Also this story proves something about bootstraps.

this is actually how man learned to churn butter, by observing those two little mice

Applewhite

by vyelkin

Luvcow posted:

this is actually how man learned to churn butter, by observing those two little mice

Tragically, it took early man centuries to realize you didn't need one of the churners to die for it to work.

----------------

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

gently caress

FUUUCCCKKKK!!!!!

quote does not = edit

REPORT luvcow keeps loving up, clicking the wrong buttons - high on weed?? REPORT REPORT REPORT AGHblh

ty nesamdoom!

Bert Roberge

Celluloid Sam posted:

that girl looks like a hipster I bet she would make you listen to Belle and Sebastian if you hung out with her

She's a huge hipster and spins her own yarn but her youtube videos are pretty chill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RleG5oifdRo

Absolute Lithops

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Luvcow posted:

I know a faster way: get a small cartoon of cream and shake it with your hand(s). Soon it will feel like there's something solid inside. That means you made butter!

Bert Roberge

Absolute Lithops posted:

I know a faster way: get a small cartoon of cream and shake it with your hand(s). Soon it will feel like there's something solid inside. That means you made butter!

This doesn't solve my mouse problem at all!

Absolute Lithops

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Bert Roberge posted:

It circumvrents the problem, friend. If you really want, you can take the butter out and place it on a dead mouse and then put a live mouse on top, so it can adorably walk across the butter.

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Bert Roberge posted:

What's wrong with your mouse? Is it sick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge

Tiberius Thyben posted:

What's wrong with your mouse? Is it sick?

He's an unemployed butter churner.

• Locked thread