Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
View Results

• Locked thread
Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Oh poo poo it's kicking off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Lol, Mexico within the first five words

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The wall isn't to keep Mexicans out, it's to keep our jobs in.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Lol at hilldogs extremely scripted delivery of the trumped up zinger

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I can't believe how is easy this is going

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Major Jobs reporting for duty

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

berserker posted:

Honestly, I really do think "you loving bitch" is going to slip out at some point tonight

From Hillary or Donald?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Al! posted:

did trump have a stroke a month ago that fried his frontal lobes completely but nobody noticed yet

Everyone has noticed

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

That makes me smart holy poo poo lol

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

This is actually the most coherent I've ever heard trump

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Oh gently caress so many sick burns from hillary

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Holy poo poo trump can't stop congratulating himself for his lovely business practices

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

SirPablo posted:

Trump owns black people in Chicago

Lol 😁

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Trump's entire response to race relations: we need to stop and frisk more.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The Saurus posted:

No questions about income inequality, massive government subsidies to corporations, the fact both candidates have taken massive donations from special interests groups or that American foreign policy is constantly creating extremism and worsening the situation around the globe?

Did you come in late? Hillary focused on income inequality and making corporations pay more. Debates don't really do policy details in depth though.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I expected it to be the sort or debate where both win by their own definition, with Trump's being to score the better insults and fluster the opponent more. But nope, hillary scored both definitions of victory.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Personal highlights: trump complimenting himself for tax avoidance and the 'unsatisfied with his work' comment.

Trump's race strategy: improve community relations, but more importantly stop and frisk.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The 'three reasons why trump won't release his tax info' section is evidence that if elected hillary won't soften the use of torture or advanced interrogation techniques.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Do we know the topics for the next debates yet? Still looking forward to immigration showdown. Also keen to hear what the gently caress trump will come up with for healthcare, and trump university beatdown come education policy time.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I'm not even sure what trump supporters could see as winning from that. I know they have very different policy agendas, but still. His main theme was "I'm rich and I have property all over the country".

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

It's fun that the Iraq war is now so unanimously seen as a mistake that both candidates want to distance themselves from their past support of it.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

I felt like there were a few times Clinton could have nailed Trump but she let them go by:
- re: paying zero income tax "That makes me smart"
- ":qq: Hillary is so mean to me in her ads :qq:" "Oh yeah, at least I don't suggest my voters go and murder you"

All I want from the next debates is to hear hillary say "look at Donald, he's a mess".

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Fidel Castronaut posted:

She did say that if he had paid taxes that maybe our infrastructure wouldn't be in such bad shape. Something along those lines. It was a good comeback.

Generally though, it really was a rope-a-dope where she just let Trump do some slapstick where he punched himself in the face and then sniffed and word salad'ed.

Her "trumped up trickle down" slogan should have been the weakest line ever, but Trump couldn't have done more to demonstrate both its truth and why trickle down doesn't work.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The dumbest line for Trump was easily "You've been fighting ISIS for your entire adult life"

Close second: that bit when he was defending his tax avoidance using legal loopholes and started to say "if you want to change those laws" before cutting himself off because even he realised that would be an incredibly stupid avenue to go down.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

As much as it seems like trump was unscripted and unprepared there was one point where he seemed to make an error by keeping to a plan that was no longer relevant. Hillary actually started the race discussion by focusing on reducing crime and violence in black communities, but his response was "two words you won't hear hillary say: law and order" then he spoke as if he was focusing on the real issue hurting black people, as if she had lead with talk of racism rather than stealing the unsafe black neighbourhoods thunder out from under him. She followed it with systematic racism talk in response to him. It seems like he wasn't prepared for her not to lead with systematic racism and it put him on the back foot immediately.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Reason posted:

like, G.W. came off as a redneck idiot everyman type dude. And like, maybe D Tru is trying to that but its not working out? I can't believe he's nearly as much of an idiot as he appears though, I just can't. How can someone get to that position and not be able to control their loving mouth?

Donald is the most extreme example of a common form of business man who originally gets to their position purely through nepotism and never learns a single skill except blindly mirroring and intensifying what people around them are saying and acting super confident about it despite having no loving idea what is going on or where they are.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Peztopiary posted:

I don't believe Trump knows what 'America's long-standing policy on first use' is and I wish Hillary had called him on it.

His response was word salad.

When is his response ever not word salad? The Washington post long form interview from awhile back is the best for it because they keep pressing him until he relents and says he doesn't know details but has top experts, the best experts, looking into it.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still amazed that the email thing came up and then was put to sleep like a minute later. Up until now it's been the Power Word that ends all other discussions.

He is banging on about it post debate though. Release the emails is the new release the birth certificate and isn't going to go away for some time. He'll still be saying it years after they have all been made public and suggesting that they are forged if the birth certificate is anything to go by.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Even after he loses there will probably be people insisting he is actually a master manipulator playing the public like a fiddle, that he wanted to lose all along for *insert dumb reason or outright conspiracy theory*.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

docbeard posted:

I was a little surprised that immigration wasn't so much as mentioned til Trump couldn't help shouting 800 PEOPLE WE WERE DEPORTING GOT MADE CITIZENS BY A CLERICAL ERROR AND MAYBE IT WAS ACTUALLY 1800 during a completely unrelated question.

His zero to mexico in under five seconds start was pretty funny though, especially seeing as he blamed mexico for the economy and job losses, but rather than pinning it on immigrants stealing jobs he somehow attributed it to mexico being better at infrastructure spending. But now that hillary has proven herself resistant to Trumping I cannot wait to hear them fight about the wall.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pakled posted:

I was ready to say she lost that rhetorical point until Trump straight-up admitted to tax evasion. She was just throwing out wild speculation to see what stuck and that's distasteful to me, but Trump interrupting her to admit that he doesn't pay taxes was a huge :psyduck: moment.

I think the "three possible reasons" tactic was particularly devastating for Trump because he is actually so afraid of revealing the first one, that he isn't as rich as he claims, that he will endorse the other options in order to distance himself from the first. His entire fortune is built on his ability to inspire investor confidence with his illusory success. If he is revealed to not be as rich as he claims or to mostly get by on crazy amounts of debt than he is done for.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Reason posted:

At this point I'm not sure what format would be good for Donald Trump. Maybe if he had every single question beforehand and a teleprompter feeding him answers.

"Wikipedia: glossary of professional wrestling terms" posted:

Heel pay-per-view
This is the term for a pay-per-view that is written so that all or a majority of heels are victorious over their opposing faces. It builds up satisfaction when the face wins at a later event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Australian media is now repeatedly reporting on the debate with "Sore Loser" as the title card. I heard "only 27% of people believe Trump won" but I'm not sure of the source.

• Locked thread