Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Yeah, from now on the Republic should have a 1 strike policy towards espionage. Catch a spy from a fair weather friend? Send him back and demand an end to spying. Catch another and send him back too, strapped to a ship killer torpedo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Work stoppages prevent the planets from building anything, right? And full on revolts also stop research, pop growth, etc? If we are committed to prosecuting the war to it's end, then Striking is the better option. It doesn't really matter if the Bulrathi population grows or what they research if they cant build new ships to defend themselves. If striking takes less time to setup that means fewer turns for them to rebuild their fleet. I say lock them down indefinitely.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

McGavin posted:

This has made spies pretty much worthless simply due to the costs involved.
In an unrelated topic, MIRV missiles are bugged so that they are immune to PD. :getin:

Sort of glad I held off on buying this with the post release savegame breaking updates and other stuff.

Has anybody played Stars In Shadow? Looks MoOish.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

nweismuller posted:

...murdering everybody and repopulating with your own people really tempting, I imagine.)

From a purely gameplay perspective this isn't a bad strategy once you have a reasonably populated empire. Since MoO2 population growth rates are independent of food, the best thing to do was to have your core worlds with cloning centers almost full, and a humongous freighter fleet standing by to ship colonists out to newly acquired planets whenever you gained another population unit. Genocide becomes especially tempting with species that have inherent productivity maluses compared to your race, so the Klackons were pretty much meant to be played that way.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

If ground combat in this game is anything like MoO2, you take far fewer casualties when you assault with overwhelming force. I don't believe there is any simulation of combat width, etc. that would prevent a larger force from bringing all it's firepower to bear at once. So a 'just enough' invasion force is likely to be completely used up in an attack, while a force twice as large will suffer less than half the casualties. If you are planning on multiple invasions over the course of a campaign, it's a good idea to start with far more troops than you need and only lose a couple between each conquest, rather than to have to rebuild a smaller army from scratch after each invasion.

If 200 million troops would be just enough to invade Bulra, I would suggest a force of at least 320 million, and expect that instead of 160-200 million casualties you would only have 80-120 million, leaving you with an army that could conquer another colony or 2.

If attacking the smaller colonies first is an option, then you could invade them with a smaller army, and reinforce your losses as you go.

It's kind of funny how this war has mirrored the pacific theater from WWII. We get almost annihilated in a sneak attack, build our forces back up, fight a pivotal battle that turns the tide, sink the largest enemy battleship & pride of their fleet, invade a colony halfway between our empires and take it in a Pyrrhic victory, and now we are debating whether to take small outlying colonies first, or deliver a knock out blow to the enemies' home system in a risky assault.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I'd be interested to hear about hot steamy alien sex klackon biology and reproduction. The obvious earth analogue to hive mind species is bees, but since the Klackon 'Queen' isn't biologically different from others that doesn't quite work here.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Rick_Hunter posted:

Nweis, you're making this stuff up as you go right? Because I haven't read anything that would make the Mrrshan obligate carnivores. Sure, earth cats are like that, but it would be a pretty strong coincidence that space cats developed the same way.

Pointed incisors, lithe bodies, & forward facing eyes are pretty strong evidence of it though.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

My take:

Meklars are governed by a body of immortal super-intelligent Meklar-derived beings who still take advice & input from regular Meklars, right? Sounds sort of like a cross between a meritocracy and an empire ruled by a Godhead.

Citizens are able to affect change in society by petitioning the rulers, who (while not omniscient) are incredibly well informed and nearly prescient. The resulting decision is accepted with almost no dissension since the rulers obviously know better (though maybe not what is best). There is plenty of opportunity for political and economic advancement but the most important offices and contracts are awarded directly by the rulers, so an ambitious individual's method of advancement isn't to impress the public or amass a fortune, but to demonstrate their ability to minimize damage in no-win scenarios since those are the types of administrators the rulers desire. That way they can focus on long-term planning rather than be distracted every time the stock market crashes or a sun starts to go nova.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

except it doesn't write existential poetry...

I would think that any sentient artificial life form abandoned by it's makers would be more likely to ponder existential issues than the happy biological accidents the rest of us are, not less.

Not only do they know for sure their creation was an act of intelligent design, they also know their creator had a plan for them.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

nweismuller posted:

The directional system I've been using in this LP is a radial system, treating the galaxy as a disk. Toward the edge of the disk is rimward, toward the center of the disk is coreward. Clockwise is driftward, counterclockwise spinward. The Klackons are thus clearly the 'spinward bug hordes'. :v:

Another way to think about this would be to picture an azmiuthal projection map of the Earth's Northern or Southern hemisphere:

(In this case northern hemisphere.)

Coreward is 'North', Rimward is 'South', Driftward is 'West', and Spinward is 'East'. If you pick a spot for the prime meridian, such as Earth, then you can even assign Latitude and Longitude coordinates.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

I want to know what the dogs think. Especially of the Darloks. I bet dogs HATE Darloks.

Dogs get freaked out by people they know covering their faces with masks or sheets or whatever; I don't see how they could not respond negatively to a race of masked and hooded aliens with no fixed morphology.

I'll bet the (liberated) Bulrathi and dogs are best friends, though.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

How independent are the colonies?

I like the name "Federated Union", mostly because I want to go to a political rally and patriotically shout F U !

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

nweismuller posted:

The population-level bonus of high gravity tolerance, however, remains inherent to Bulrathi population.

Can you still ship pops around a la MoO2 to different planets? Barring that, can you choose the initial species deposited by a colony ship? Would be nice to exploit some high-G planets that would otherwise be unsuitable for colonization. Don't think of it as a forced relocation, more like an opportunity for Bulrathi to forge a new culture on a new world independent of their oppressive past and recent military occupation.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

nweismuller posted:

Let's keep our votes to the options I actually proposed.

Just be thankful you can't import flags into this game...

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Siegkrow posted:

Also, have depictions of the grays and Japanese catgirls become racist caricatures?

I think to really have the impact of a racist (or in this case speciesist) caricature, there has to be some history of conflict and/or repression.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Siegkrow posted:

What would lead a society to a point that Maximum Hitler isn't only an option but the morally expected solution to every problem?

Space is really big and based on recent observations filled with more planets than we could ever bother to monitor. If your first few experiences with extrasolar lifeforms are all flavors of xenomorph, Event Horizon, or Borg then it may seem prudent to nip things in the bud. Any civilization that developes interstellar flight would be incredibly hard to exterminate if it came to that. Probably safer to virus bomb anything you find with opposable thumbs than risk it getting off it's homeworld while you aren't looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

That will result in alot of player swapping, since the oldest patrician usually has the most election score each new player will only get to play 5 or 10 years before the head of the family dies from old age.

• Locked thread