Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
The pocket secretary at 17:05 in the video seems to refer to Justin Trudeau as prime minister of Canada, which he became in 2015. This game came out in 2011, so was that just a lucky guess from the developers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bot 02 posted:

The pocket secretary at 17:05 in the video seems to refer to Justin Trudeau as prime minister of Canada, which he became in 2015. This game came out in 2011, so was that just a lucky guess from the developers?

Well, the Trudeau family is basically the Bushes/Kennedys when it comes to Canadian leadership, and the game is set a nearly 2 decades in the future, and the devs are canadian so they have a better feel for the politics. Probably not too much of a stretch to fudge that.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Just wanted to say I too enjoy Bobbin's lectures and presumably will enjoy this thread when I have the time to watch it (currently clearing schedule). Only played the first Deus Ex game but I did watch a lot of the media he talks about in here. Gargoyles I particularly wish was still around.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PS: SEC REQ 000001 Hyron Core Access
Book: The Speech
Email: Attitude Problem
Email: RE: I got a safety hazard here guys!
PS: SEC REQ 000211
Email: TYM BIOCHIP
Email: taking care of our girls
PS: SEC REQ 000212

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What's your opinion on the concept of nuclear fusion? Do you think it will ever be done in a feasible way? It may not be the most likely future power system, but it's an interesting one nonetheless. The fuel is really abundant and there is proof of concept. The only real problem is scale. Having a sun is easy enough because it's large enough to squeeze it's atoms together by their own gravitational force. But on a smaller scale that's impossible. This results in a way higher energy input and less stability to keep the reaction up. But solving those problems are among the hardest tasks scientists ever faced, so fusion has been 30 years away for six decades now. And frankly it wont even make a big effect before the 22nd

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 7, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Atomz are good, but too bad the anti-atomz version of Taggart has already won and people are anti atomz/NIMBY as gently caress.

Also hydrogen only has one proton.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
No hydrogen has one proton and one electron. It may be a small difference, but all thinks considered it's kinda significant.

And to be even more pedantic: Most of the hydrogen in a fuel cell would be molecular hydrogen which has twice as much of both and significantly more stable then atomic hydrogen, or radical hydrogen i.e. protons.
And while I'm at it, There are also H- radicals and even H_2 radicals and of course hydrogen molecules with additional neutrons. Technically triatomic hydrogen can exist too.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 7, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Atomz are good, but too bad the anti-atomz version of Taggart has already won and people are anti atomz/NIMBY as gently caress.

Also hydrogen only has one proton.

I did specify "molecular hydrogen," which comes in pairs.

cant cook creole bream posted:

What's your opinion on the concept of nuclear fusion? Do you think it will ever be done in a feasible way? It may not be the most likely future power system, but it's an interesting one nonetheless. The fuel is really abundant and there is proof of concept. The only real problem is scale. Having a sun is easy enough because it's large enough to squeeze it's atoms together by their own gravitational force. But on a smaller scale that's impossible. This results in a way higher energy input and less stability to keep the reaction up. But solving those problems are among the hardest tasks scientists ever faced, so fusion has been 30 years away for six decades now. And frankly it wont even make a big effect before the 22nd

I could see it being a power source on a giant space station or somewhere with little gravity and lots of hard vacuum, but unless something big changes I don't see it becoming a planetside energy solution.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Email: FW: Valve Maintenance & Security
Email: HYRON CORE RULES

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!

- The Tempest, Act V, Scene I

A fitting end to this game, I think.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

OH kay I was getting concerned you weren't going to get to this one.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Another option to beat that fight quickly is to use the laser rifle. It will just go through the glass and kill Zhao.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm pretty sure Sarif would take a look at the Hyron project, bluster about how horrible and inhumane it is, tell Adam that champ, I'd never do anything like this, and take extremely detailed notes. Because it's a good concept, it just needs to be fixed so they don't feel pain, right?

Basically this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-i9ypRDXQ

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
The Hyron Project is one thing I'm really conflicted about in this game.

It's both wonderfully horrible in how it depicts turning people into basically disposable spare parts (instead of putting machines into people, let's put machines into people, then put the people into a machine, because it gives more exaflops or something) while showing the horror of being trapped like that (the passwords and e-mails are pretty telling of this, not to mention the cutscene itself) in the name of a "good thing" aka reversing global warming (but no biggie if the Illuminati can use it for other stuff, right?) and over-the-top silly in how it's presented and designed to be a gigantic abstract anime computer with a really goofy gigantic jack-in machine for the operator so you get to shoot Zhao at the end (preferably with the Laser rifle, which turns this encounter into a joke, as already mentioned).

It's also the reason I think it's better to play the DLC after the game - you already are familiar with Hyron at that point, and you get to see just how worse everything is when you get a good close-up look at how the drones are "procured" and manufactured. Ugh.

Oh, and the bridge in the last episode where Bobbin snuck by on its sides? Internally it's called something like "the Star Wars bridge" because of course it is. :)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I'm pretty sure Sarif would take a look at the Hyron project, bluster about how horrible and inhumane it is, tell Adam that champ, I'd never do anything like this, and take extremely detailed notes. Because it's a good concept, it just needs to be fixed so they don't feel pain, right?

Basically this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-i9ypRDXQ

I think he'd also want "volunteers" rather than going with kidnapping. You know, half-informed and desperate rather than outright slave labor.

More than that, though, I think if Adam blew up the blueprints, he'd probably say that was the right call in a really disappointed tone of voice.

Sarif struck me as someone with a more-or-less functional conscience and enough intelligence to fast talk it into allowing him to do what he wants to do anyway. He prefers to be the good guy, but this little lapse, it's really going to work out long term, and it's not like anyone has to know.

Meanwhile, Rick just doesn't give a fuuuuuuccck.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The arena at the end of the game made little sense to me and kinda felt tacked on, the core itself also gave me a 'comically evil' vibe as well but it's hardly like this is the first time we've seen people trying to plug each other into poo poo *cough*Bob Page*cough*

Really they should've just stuck with the mind controlling augs as the main bad thing in the end. Darrow gets a lot of poo poo for what he did but from where he was sitting it's not like he had a lot of options - he watched the thing he created to help make the world a batter place be coopted by special and corporate interests to covertly take control of the world and it's not like he could singlehandedly stop TYM and the Illuminati himself. Instead he made sure the world knew just how dangerous all this was by having it selfdestruct in front of everyone. Knowing after this they would think twice before doing it again.

But Jensen has to run around and try convincing him he's actually just doing this because he's jealous of being crippled but incompatible with augments. But really this whole last chapter is him speaking put of both sides of his mouth.

As far as retcons go this does do a pretty through job of explaining why there are few other augs in the original game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Really they should've just stuck with the mind controlling augs as the main bad thing in the end. Darrow gets a lot of poo poo for what he did but from where he was sitting it's not like he had a lot of options - he watched the thing he created to help make the world a batter place be coopted by special and corporate interests to covertly take control of the world and it's not like he could singlehandedly stop TYM and the Illuminati himself. Instead he made sure the world knew just how dangerous all this was by having it selfdestruct in front of everyone. Knowing after this they would think twice before doing it again.

But Jensen has to run around and try convincing him he's actually just doing this because he's jealous of being crippled but incompatible with augments. But really this whole last chapter is him speaking put of both sides of his mouth.

It's a bit more like Darrow's jealousy is why he convinced himself that this particularly murderous display is the only way to move forward, to convince people to abandon augmentation technology altogether and make humanity "equal" again.

As opposed to, say, having the chip activate in everyone all at once using the intended kill switch function that would shut them all down. Doing that would have been disastrous and led to many deaths as those with augments fail in the middle of their dangerous or life-saving jobs, but it wouldn't have created nearly as much carnage or madness as Darrow's plan. But while doing that would have ended TYM's monopoly attempts and cut into the Illuminati's power, it wouldn't have caused people to fear augmentations nearly as much. Hell, Darrow could've had a "hidden camera" leak footage and evidence about the Hyron Project to really underline his point. Darrow's jealousy really did lead him to make worse decisions than he otherwise could have made.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bhlaab posted:

OH kay I was getting concerned you weren't going to get to this one.

:same: That and 1984 are the two books I think everyone in the world should read.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Sarif struck me as someone with a more-or-less functional conscience and enough intelligence to fast talk it into allowing him to do what he wants to do anyway. He prefers to be the good guy, but this little lapse, it's really going to work out long term, and it's not like anyone has to know.

Basically why I always go with Sarif's ending. He was wrong using Adam's DNA without his permission, but he's the least worst person. Darrow and Taggart are grade-A douches, Sarif is more of a grade-B, he's an rear end in a top hat, but his heart is in the right place. It's the same reason merging with the AI is the best choice in the first game; you can't really trust the Illuminati or Tong, but you can at least trust half of the Helios/JC entity. And the fourth ending doesn't sit right with me for reasons we'll see.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have to admit that I also agree with Taggart- that augs need to be regulated strictly- but also that I agree with Bobbin in that Taggart's plan involves far too few people in power. If there was some way to at least recruit Sarif after you agree with Taggart, then maybe I'd be for the ol 'ocular pyramid 100%.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I still have no idea if anything in the game whether anything in the game indicates that Darrow can't use augmentations (before we confront him, anyways).

Edit - I brought this up a few times, but it really bugs me. It's the major motivating factor for our penultimate antagonist, and is only brought up when we finally confront him.

Also, Jaron Namir is apparently supposed to be Israeli. "Jaron" isn't an Israeli name though, "Yaron" is. I suppose you could pronounce the J like "Jawohl", but that's not how Megan pronounces it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 19, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Also, Jaron Namir is apparently supposed to be Israeli. "Jaron" isn't an Israeli name though, "Yaron" is. I suppose you could pronounce the J like "Jawohl", but that's not how Megan pronounces it.

As an English speaker, Megan probably wouldn't know how to pronounce Jaron's name unless someone spoke it out loud to her. It's honestly kind of weird how between English/French, Spanish, and most every other language there are three distinct ways to pronounce the letter "J."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

As an English speaker, Megan probably wouldn't know how to pronounce Jaron's name unless someone spoke it out loud to her. It's honestly kind of weird how between English/French, Spanish, and most every other language there are three distinct ways to pronounce the letter "J."
What.

So you're thinking that these co-workers / friends / implied lovers have never heard each other's names spoken aloud?

(Though his name should have been spelled with a Y regardless)

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
This series isn't the best with names sometimes. See Federova vs Fedorova (novel vs game spelling).

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Also Yaron has like a wife and kids at home, so he was probably trying to shove as much weird poo poo on Alex's head before and after the battle, what with YOU'LL NEVER FIND HEEERRRR blurted at him next stairs that lead to her room.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Apologies for the particularly late update, but I spent the day chasing an eclipse.

Dailymotion videos will be up tomorrow.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 23, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Bobbin looking at eclipse:

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

I think people have a perception of Brave New World as another dour dystopia since it gets compared to 1984 so much, but I thought it was a very funny book. The comedy is pretty dark however.

One of my favorite things about it is that it subverts each of its own attempts to have a protagonist. At first you think it's Bertrand because he's the down-trodden guy who's different from everyone else, but then he turns out to be little more than a self-absorbed social climber who has no idea how to handle himself outside of the system he says he despises (at least, he despises it when he's not benefiting)

So then you think John the savage is going to be the hero since he's the outsider come to rattle everyone's cages. And while he's the closest to representing the novel's thesis, his shift towards becoming a woman-beating zealot who has little to offer outside of loud indictments leaves him at the end alone, ritualistically self-flagellating in the wilderness.

And when all the "heroes" are sent to see the big evil boss of the dystopian government, you expect the Room 101 treatment. But the guy ends up acting very reasonably and offers each one a mutually beneficial sentence. The fact that it ends with, "So you don't like our all-powerful dystopian government? Fine, go somewhere else then. You'll be happier there anyway," is fantastic.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hah! I actually started playing the game you hinted at the end again. Looking forward to your take on the misadventures of the best/worst cop in the world.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Thanks for the awesome LP, Bobbin. I was really happy when I saw you take on this game. :)

I just wanted to share some things after you've finished:

1) An audio recording of a bunch of devs acting out the Walkabout from the intro, found in the game files - I can still recognise Mary DeMarle (Narrative Director) as Megan and Steve Szczepkowski (Audio Director) as Adam, but unfortunately I've forgotten who the others are - it's been so long:
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/devsbeinghilarious.mp3

2) An audio mix of the Prophetic Bum with an appropriate soundtrack I threw together ages ago:
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/doomsayer.mp3

3) oh my god jc adam a bomb: this was a lot of fun to make
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/ABombDXHR.mp3

4) A couple of images showing how the game's look evolved from the Vertical Slice onward:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chooses the option of denying humanity any coherent information about the causes of a cataclysmic event.

Goes on to blather about how humanity was never led, but rather made its decisions with the best information available.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

If the destruction of the entire complex (and also all other endings) was canon, I'm still curious how they ever found Adam for Mankind Divided. I finished that game but never really understood that or the horrible explanation of it.

Anyways, good LP, good lectures. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Many thanks Bobby T!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

geonetix posted:

If the destruction of the entire complex (and also all other endings) was canon, I'm still curious how they ever found Adam for Mankind Divided. I finished that game but never really understood that or the horrible explanation of it.

Adam probably found another intercontinental ballistic missile escape pod.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

geonetix posted:

Weelllll Mankind Divided alternately implies that you're a clone of Adam given his parts or that they did somehow rescue you but put you through a round of brainwashing and trigger phrases so that you'd bring down the resistance for the Illuminati.
At the very least TYM has several dozen Adam Jensen torsos sitting in a storage container in Prague.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Hah! I actually started playing the game you hinted at the end again. Looking forward to your take on the misadventures of the best/worst cop in the world.

Obligatory music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3qW7aothk

Obligatory karaoke video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Jr5Fi9iDA

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Good work on the LP, bobbin. I'm glad I got my small discussion of Diamond Age as well, even if you didn't care too much for it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bobbin, are you done with the deus ex series now, or is your intention to go through mankind divided at some point in the future?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bobbin, does you preferred ending depend upon the fact that panchea will always collapse? I'm assuming the deaths of all the innocents onboard would possibly sway your hand if the whole facility wasn't doomed from the start?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

double nine posted:

bobbin, are you done with the deus ex series now, or is your intention to go through mankind divided at some point in the future?

At the moment, Mankind Divided crashes on the startup screen, so that puts a pin in that idea until I maybe upgrade my rig or something. I've tried a few fixes if you were curious, but nothing works.

Stormgale posted:

Bobbin, does you preferred ending depend upon the fact that panchea will always collapse? I'm assuming the deaths of all the innocents onboard would possibly sway your hand if the whole facility wasn't doomed from the start?

No spoilers necessary in this thread, especially not after the game is over.

But yeah, the fact that Jensen has to murder thousands of innocent people to trigger the fourth ending is the big reason I don't like that one either and the fact that it happens regardless for Mankind Divided only makes me dislike it less. Xander has a good point, too: while I appreciate the themes of the fourth ending, killing everyone and burying the truth under the ocean is not the best way to have humanity decide its own fate.

Honestly, the fourth ending in Invisible War had the same problem. "What's that, you don't like any of the three factions and you'd rather kill them all? Well good news! No other leaders step forward and humanity perishes in a firestorm of infighting in which only the crazy Darwinist cyborgs survive! What, did you think the human race would survive by following any but these three particular paths or by taking one of these paths under different leadership? Silly you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I had similar feelings, I was full on no (non Mandatory) kills in my game and reaching the end after carefully avoiding killing the people in horrible pain.

I think a unique thing about the Deus-ex endings is you are almost always committing to someone else's ideal, you aren't saying futurism is good purely you are saying futurism is good via Sarif, it feels a tad more personal that way. Even if it does slightly take away from a more open interpretation, it's almost less your ending that way?

• Locked thread