Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Well, I took the fact that Hyron was required to keep the facility from imploding in the first place (and that you HAD to destroy it to proceed) meant that Panchaea was doomed. The only question was how fast it would collapse.

So that being said, the canon ending is "all of them" because your choice doesn't matter--you could pick a transmission but it gets cut off as the place goes kerblooey. The people on the "upper" levels have some chance to escape (Taggart, Sarif, misc workers).

Between the "push button, receive bacon ending" incredibly unsatisfying ending and the glossing over even that non-choice got in MD, this is a bit of a sour note in the otherwise amazing prequel DX series. That said, the rest of the game (and MD) was superlative, and I was really upset when they pulled the plug on another sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I hadn't heard there wasn't going to be another one after Mankind Divided. ... What a shame.

(Seriously though I played Mankind Divided for the first time just recently and enjoyed it, so that is a shame.)

Anyway, thanks for the great LP, Bobbin! I learnt a lot, as always.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Well there's always "the fall"

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Ever plan to do Invisible War? Not sure what you'd talk about, since the original and Human Revolution both address themes that are way more interesting to dissect than I feel IW even comes close to grappling with, but it might be a light palette cleanser after these long haul LPs.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Erwin the German posted:

Ever plan to do Invisible War? Not sure what you'd talk about, since the original and Human Revolution both address themes that are way more interesting to dissect than I feel IW even comes close to grappling with, but it might be a light palette cleanser after these long haul LPs.

I expect that'd go something like the Thi4f LP. Not that I'd mind seeing it have the piss taken out of it, of course...

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I really liked Bobbins take on Thi4f, so a similar setup for IW sounds like it would a great idea.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've been trying to recall some cyberpunk-related book I read ten years ago, but can't recall enough details to get a good Google on it. Maybe the hivemind here can help.

It was set in some mideast city, a "five minutes into the future" kind of setting where everything was very dusty and 20th century, it just happened to have VR implants. Those were the obvious stand-in for [insert drug of choice here] with various junkies escaping into whatever worlds they could afford. I believe the main character was a detective or something, investigating some programs that were killing their customers, but that might me be mixing books up or inserting details. The main thing is that it felt very noir, and was set in a different kind of city than the typical New York or Neo Tokyo.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bruceski posted:

I've been trying to recall some cyberpunk-related book I read ten years ago, but can't recall enough details to get a good Google on it. Maybe the hivemind here can help.

It was set in some mideast city, a "five minutes into the future" kind of setting where everything was very dusty and 20th century, it just happened to have VR implants. Those were the obvious stand-in for [insert drug of choice here] with various junkies escaping into whatever worlds they could afford. I believe the main character was a detective or something, investigating some programs that were killing their customers, but that might me be mixing books up or inserting details. The main thing is that it felt very noir, and was set in a different kind of city than the typical New York or Neo Tokyo.
Did the programs also convey instant knowledge? Like at one point he slotted in a "kung-fu" master program? And he was hunting down a serial killer, among other things?

Edit - I read "mideast" as "middle-eastern". Did you mean American, because if so, we're thinking about different books.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 25, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
It sounds vaguely like Strange Days, but that was just a movie.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Did the programs also convey instant knowledge? Like at one point he slotted in a "kung-fu" master program? And he was hunting down a serial killer, among other things?

Edit - I read "mideast" as "middle-eastern". Did you mean American, because if so, we're thinking about different books.

Middle-eastern, and that sounds right unless I'm getting my books confused.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bruceski posted:

Middle-eastern, and that sounds right unless I'm getting my books confused.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Gravity_Fails

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That's it! Thanks. I spent two days trying to recall some word or detail that would give me enough to Google it and mis-remembering half the stuff I thought I knew, I was pretty much stuck at "that guy with the thing." Ironically at one point I thought "Gravity something? Gravity Falls? No that's a cartoon."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 25, 2017

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I just got through a few hours of Prey (2017) and I'd like to throw that in the Bobbin suggestion pile. That game IS System Shock/Bioshock 3. Pure and simple.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I'm not sure if I really like the whole "press button, receive ending" thing. I mean, I understand that it's a callback to the original Deus Ex, and Adam is literally pressing a button to stop the broadcast/killswitch, but it just leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
You aren't the only one... it's a question of agency, I think. The thing that sticks in my craw about these endings is that it's literally Jensen pushing a button to get each respective ending, whereas in the original DX, you were actually doing different things for different people to get each different ending: the main mission there was t\o stick it to Bob Page, but there were different ways of doing that and different people benefited from the results. But here... you just have a button to push, with each ending being the same essential slideshow about how that was the right decision. It doesn't feel like the culmination of a journey in the same way that the original did; hell, even the endings of Invisible War felt like they had more agency.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The buttons were apparently added in because they ran out of time, and you were supposed to have move complex tasks to do in order to unlock each ending. Why they didn't change things for the director's cut, I have no clue.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Alas, this ending reminds me of another third-in-a-series game whose choices boiled down to which last-second decision to make, making everything else seemingly irrelevant.

If only each of the options was more fleshed out over the course of the game. Give Darrow, Sarif and Mr. Illuminati more time to have their position explained with the ups and downs demonstrated to the player. That way, while the trinary choice is still there at the end, it would have been given more context and meaning than "Save Game, Press button, Load Game, press button, load game, press button, load game, go for fourth option".

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's also weird doing multiple ending paths for a prequel to a game that takes place only about 30 years later in-universe. You already know where things are eventually going to wind up. They probably felt they had to do the multiple endings because it's Deus Ex, and because they were already fighting against the stigma of "this has changed too much and isn't Deus Ex" while in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The next stage has begun.

• Locked thread