Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

malkav11 posted:

I'm guessing Akira may already be on the list but FWIW, I think the manga is a lot more interesting than the film (which is still good).

I didn't suggest Akira because it's sort of post apocalyptic, Particularly the Manga is once you get into the later books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kurieg posted:

I didn't suggest Akira because it's sort of post apocalyptic, Particularly the Manga is once you get into the later books.
Oddly enough, I believe that the popular usage of "post apocalyptic" barely (if at all) encompasses media that takes place during the apocalypse and in its immediate aftermath.

Nobody refers to When the Wind Blows as post-apocalyptic, for instance.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

For the record, present-apocalyptic is just fine, especially considering Panchea.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Maybe do the spy who came in from the cold? It's not cyberpunk but it's got deus ex's can't trust anyone/conspiracies within conspiracies down pat.

edit: yes I can spell

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 27, 2016

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Would The Prisoner be a good fit?

Penumbra
Feb 7, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think my Cronenberg film is going to be Videodrome, since I'm trying not to reuse authors what with the wide range of options I have available. I haven't really watched any of his works outside of Naked Lunch, though, so I'm open to persuasion. And you may consider Strange Days to be a non-serious suggestion, but it is on my list already.

While some of the same themes arise in Videodrome, I would like to second the recommendation of eXistenZ as it more explicitly draws out the implications of biological/technological interface as well as entrenched antagonism both for and against the use of those interfaces. In DE:HR the debate amounts to one camp claiming "pure humanity" which upon reflection appears to be unsustainable as we've had nonmechanical prostheses for a considerably long time; the extension of "natural" human capabilities occurred when we spun our first ropes and chipped our first flints for cutting. eXistenZ on the other hand throws not "humanity-as-such" into the fray but what is to count as "reality" and whether or not it can (or should) be expanded. If this dovetails with a theme that you were considering for one of your incredibly good corners then please take the time to watch it.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

anilEhilated posted:

The City & The City by Miéville

He kinda lost me on this one. I went into it with expectations that were not delivered upon and that were clearly not the direction of the book ever. I might need to reread it again knowing the direction that it takes and everything.

Maybe when Mankind Divided rolls around Bobbin can do Miéville's Perdido Street Station -- which is totally frigging fantastic. The [f]ReMade were definitely a more convincing underclass than the augmented in the latest DX games.

On HR: ( and let me preface this with, I like HR a lot and have played it repeatedly )

Jensen never asked for this, but it doesn't seem to cost him anything. He's so much a video game protagonist that it destroys his ability to be a character. Megan's written out of his life before the game really begins; he has no friends outside of work and no hobbies other than drinking scotch shirtless next to a ton of watch parts. The most characterization he gets is through Pritchard. Everyone else he interacts with will reveal a factoid about who Jensen was, but they don't have anything to do with who Jensen is or what happens to Jensen. Pritchard trades jabs with Jensen throughout and the two actually seem to grow closer/respect each other more over the course of the game.

Everyone else is more interesting as a character. The guy stealing Neuropozyne from the company is a better character, the jerk black-mailing him about it is too. On that same arc, the only person who isn't is probably the guy with the shotgun who busts in looking for the jerk to pay back what he owes and that's because he's only there to humanize the jerk as being in a tough place despite having a good job at a biotech firm.

Again, I like the game. HR and MD are both fun to play.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to derail this thread too much but I can kinda see what you're coming from - Miéville has a thing about anticlimax and leading the reader's expectations in rather more grandiose (and less sensible) directions than the story takes; my favorite example being in The Scar with the whole "What powerful magical artifact? We're here for the spy's diary!" plot thread. Similarly, I can see the way The City & The City treats its setting and conspiracies can be off-putting but always felt logical and (in retrospect) inevitable to me.

Anyhow, to get this back on track - I think the lack of Jensen's characterization is intentional, meaning to echo JC's flexible personality in 1. Problem is, JC had a lot more opportunities to roleplay and a bigger cast of characters to be a jerk to; you just don't get to project much into Adam, who gets most of his characterization by means of Pritchard and Malik, who just both happen to be much more fleshed out and interesting.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 27, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow, to get this back on track - I think the lack of Jensen's characterization is intentional, meaning to echo JC's flexible personality in 1. Problem is, JC had a lot more opportunities to roleplay and a bigger cast of characters to be a jerk to; you just don't get to project much into Adam, who gets most of his characterization by means of Pritchard and Malik, who just both happen to be much more fleshed out and interesting.
I feel as though JC has way more of a personality than Jensen, despite how Jensen gets way more work put into his. JC has a freaking coherent character arc as he goes through his game, something Jensen can only wish he had.

When the endgame hits, you can see why JC might choose any of the three endings - and its not because he's a blank projection standing in for the player. The exact opposite is true for Jensen's endgame.

Also, there's a major difference in how integrated miscellaneous interactions are in either game. The number of things that Jensen can "discover" for the players benefit, yet never ever have a reaction to...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

When the endgame hits, you can see why JC might choose any of the three endings - and its not because he's a blank projection standing in for the player. The exact opposite is true for Jensen's endgame.

Also, there's a major difference in how integrated miscellaneous interactions are in either game. The number of things that Jensen can "discover" for the players benefit, yet never ever have a reaction to...
That and JC actually has an endgame. The way HR treats its endings was the biggest disappointment of the whole game to me.

I think a big part of why JC works is that he's subjected to all the ending options he'll eventually have through the game: you have the power and paranoia of the Illuminati with all the ugly things hidden below its surface perfectly symbolized by Everett's apartment, you've been subjected to the delusions and intrusions of machine gods with Daedalus and Icarus, you've seen how technology can turn against humans with the killswitch and Tong catching the Gray Death; all on personal level, not just through news. Meanwhile, all you get to live through in HR is "Darrow is an rear end in a top hat".

edit: Speaking of, if anyone is itching to replay DX, there's a pretty great mod called Revision available on Steam for free. It integrates quality-of-life stuff from Shifter (/Biomod), adds some HD graphics, rebuilds a bunch of levels (hub areas in particular are new)...
And it's got ACHIEVEMENTS!

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 27, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

That last point is pretty much my biggest disappointment in how DXHR handles its breadcrumb trail, especially since Alpha Protocol (which came out the year before) did an amazing job of integrating intelligence gathering into Thorton's dialog, to the point where the game kept track of whether you bothered reading the dossiers or not.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Speaking of, if anyone is itching to replay DX, there's a pretty great mod called Revision available on Steam for free. It integrates quality-of-life stuff from Shifter (/Biomod), adds some HD graphics, rebuilds a bunch of levels (hub areas in particular are new)...
Hah. Some people in the DX thread will tell you that Revision betrays everything Deus Ex stands for, and that the right mod for any purist to suffer through play is GMDX.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, good thing I never set my virtual foot there. I'm currently playing through it doing the on-site procurement challenge (ditch all items before you start a mission) and it's been really fun, especially since I know the original like the back of my hand.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

anilEhilated posted:

I don't want to derail this thread too much but I can kinda see what you're coming from - Miéville has a thing about anticlimax and leading the reader's expectations in rather more grandiose (and less sensible) directions than the story takes; my favorite example being in The Scar with the whole "What powerful magical artifact? We're here for the spy's diary!" plot thread. Similarly, I can see the way The City & The City treats its setting and conspiracies can be off-putting but always felt logical and (in retrospect) inevitable to me.

The back of the book or something or other put it in my head that it was a detective story and I think it might have been after I read the complete works of Raymond Chandler ( I think my pulp detective phase overlaps with when I discovered the New Crobuzon stuff ). By the end of the book, I was disappointed but realized that had I come in open-minded instead of expecting to focus on a person, I should have given the focus to the setting as a living-ish thing, that I might have had a better time with it.

anilEhilated posted:

Oh crap. You've done it now. I'm probably playing that after I beat DXMD again.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

psivamp posted:

Jensen never asked for this, but it doesn't seem to cost him anything.

His dog.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

It's a goddamn crime we can execute the bigoted mirror lady, but never get to confront Diane Gonzales.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I know that some are not fond of his work, but Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 has elements of transhumanism and strong AI as major plot and thematic points.

Not remotely cyberpunk, but I liked it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

That last point is pretty much my biggest disappointment in how DXHR handles its breadcrumb trail, especially since Alpha Protocol (which came out the year before) did an amazing job of integrating intelligence gathering into Thorton's dialog, to the point where the game kept track of whether you bothered reading the dossiers or not.

What studio would even bother with that though? Alpha Protocol sold poorly and considering what happened with Mankind Divided what big studio would actually care enough to do something like what happened with the original Deus Ex?

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Speaking of Neuromancer, if you haven't read it, I definitely suggest the audiobook version, I think it's Arthur Addison doing the narration. It's abridged, unfortunately, but it's an amazing rendition, and super well done. It's kind of hard to find, but here's the opening part at least. Definitely worth tracking down if you can.

Thanks for the recommendation. A quick look found a near 9 hour version uploaded earlier this month on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owjwUaMfzNw

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Milt Thompson posted:

I know that some are not fond of his work, but Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 has elements of transhumanism and strong AI as major plot and thematic points.

The one transhumanist story that I actually appreciate is Understand. It's also one of the very few instances I can recall of the writer convincingly portraying super-intelligent beings. (Particularly when compared with something like Ender's Game)

Edit - because obviously if "augmentations" are going to change anything meaningful - anything that may actually result in a wave of protests - it's changing the way we think and the way we interact with others. Represented in the game by... (drumroll): 1 aug and 1 NPC. Neither of which the game really cares about exploring.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 27, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Devol_Tettran posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. A quick look found a near 9 hour version uploaded earlier this month on Youtube:

Yeah, that's the one. I found that one too but I felt weird about posting the whole thing. It's an awesome rendition though, probably one of my favorite audiobook narrations. Even if you've read it, it's definitely worth listening to.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
This game should have had more Pritchard, who is the best character in a Deus Ex game

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
The the one true post-cyberpocalypse simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6e0abCt1ww

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

I think my Cronenberg film is going to be Videodrome, since I'm trying not to reuse authors what with the wide range of options I have available. I haven't really watched any of his works outside of Naked Lunch, though, so I'm open to persuasion. And you may consider Strange Days to be a non-serious suggestion, but it is on my list already.

I like Scanners and Existenz a lot, but considering the game you're playing I think you're correct with choosing Videodrome.
As for Strange Days, I just always found it to be very cheesy. Anytime I think of the movie I'm reminded of the scene with the guy singing the title.

Also you mentioned elsewhere in the thread you're planning to do a PKD book. Assuming you want full novels and not short stories, I'd recommend either Ubik or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. Stigmata having themes very similar to Deus Ex: HR.

Finally, you mentioned wanting to do Roadside Picnic, I like the book a lot, but I would suggest doing the movie adaptation Stalker instead.
Tarkovsky and team picked an amazing place to film the movie (an abandoned chemical factory which ended up killing most of the cast later in life via cancer). The cinematography is also wonderful.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

monster on a stick posted:

Hmmm, this is a TV show but how about (spoiling because it's not immediately obvious that it has cyberpunk themes) Person of Interest?

Yes please. I love this show to bits and Bobbin talking about it can only make things better, right? And I'll second eXistenZ if only because it'll give me an excuse to introduce my wife to it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Serial Experiments Lain is my favorite thing ever, and it's cyberpunk, but it's 13 episodes so alas, too long for you watch for a lecturey thing

but still, watch it, one day...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not that anyone asked, but I wish cyberpunk as a genre didn't use as much cyberslang and cyberjargon, that kind of stuff always makes me cringe

Looking forward to the coming videos! If I don't think about it too hard, Human Revolution is one of my favourite games. I'm a native Montrealer, too, so maybe there's some misplaced patriotic pride or something happening. Then again, the eventual Montreal level caught me off-guard, because seeing the city represented in a piece of mainstream culture doesn't happen very often, and honestly it felt a little shoehorned in. I'm probably just too sensitive though

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I assume you're covering a Phillip K. Dick book, Bobbin. So much of what cyberpunk and transhumanism is could already be seen in his work.

Other suggestions, some not quite what you were looking for, but possibly relevant:

District 9
Lucy (the Scarlett Johansson film)
Orphan Black
The Expanse (or the series of books the show is based on)
The Illuminatus Trilogy
The Bionic Woman/The Six Million Dollar Man
Gravity's Rainbow :buddy:
The Island of Doctor Moreau
Blood Music
The Wind-Up Girl
Tetsuo: The Iron Man

Spatula City fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 29, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Nirvana by Gabriele Salvatores.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Hold a moment.

No one else seems to have noticed this from the last page, but is that bottom right-most one Brendan Fraser as Rick O'Connel from The Mummy series of movies?

Wow.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Not that anyone asked, but I wish cyberpunk as a genre didn't use as much cyberslang and cyberjargon, that kind of stuff always makes me cringe

Same. I think that it makes sense to have things that don't exist (yet?) have names, but some of the slang used just seems really try-hard or edgy, and it just ends up goofy and bad.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

RickVoid posted:

No one else seems to have noticed this from the last page, but is that bottom right-most one Brendan Fraser as Rick O'Connel from The Mummy series of movies?

Wow.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm a fan of "ridiculously muscular dude with inexplicable wolf head" And "Tiger with human arms coming out of it's shoulders" as far as those russian book covers go.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Hold a moment.

Wow.

I have literally never even heard of any one of these books and I must say I'm glad I never did.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RickVoid posted:

Hold a moment.

Wow.

Third from the left in the bottom row may also be a Doctor Who tracing.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

To be fair, "generic dude points gun at camera" is an incredibly common cover art. That being said, the glowy bits on the arm and the left hand being a completely different quality and style give the tracing away.

chitoryu12 posted:

Third from the left in the bottom row may also be a Doctor Who tracing.

That is definitely a Doctor Who tracing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Also the design of the gun is identical.

Anyway, Bobbin, you might want to do a corner on Hackers. Because it's at least as punk as Deus Ex is trying to be. Case in point:

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 28, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

To be fair, "generic dude points gun at camera" is an incredibly common cover art. That being said, the glowy bits on the arm and the left hand being a completely different quality and style give the tracing away.
I don't think it's even a trace. Looking at the two I think it's a straight copy-paste with some modifications.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

double nine posted:

Also the design of the gun is identical.

Anyway, Bobbin, you might want to do a corner on Hackers. Because it's at least as punk as Deus Ex is trying to be. Case in point:

My favorite dumb tech thing from that movie was the electricity arcing between the servers like a jacob's ladder to represent the great strain they were under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Hackers is a goddamn treasure of a bad movie and I love it and I can't wait for Bobbin to talk about it. :allears:

• Locked thread