Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe there's a good joke about Trump's wall versus the Cell? IDK, are there any Mexicans on the roster?

*me, hanging in the writers room for the next month*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

dordreff posted:

I like that the best-of-seven ended in a draw because the two guys were too hurt to continue, which was expertly shown by one man having to be dragged out fighting four officials while the other one stood in the middle of the ring, calling for the match to continue.

I think it could have worked, but the ending was borked by Cesaro's dumb dive. If you aren't going to stop the match for that, then it looks silly to stop it for a clothesline over the barricade.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is this the first time that Smackdown is hands down the better show than RAW? I'm honestly shocked by just how much better SD is, it's a combo of the shorter time frame and the fact that it seems like everything just flows so much smoother.

Nah. I'm certain that PSP agreed Smackdown was better than RAW +5 years ago because Cena was being pushed too much on RAW while Smackdown was a place to see Edge and Undertaker, a more enjoyable heel GM in Vicki, and so forth.

Edit- almost any time they've let RAW become too overloaded with McMahon drama and excessively slow builds Smackdown feels way better.

Double Edit- I'm pretty sure MattVP was a smackdown tag team and that was roughly at the same time everyone loved Smackdown a lot

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 27, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Vaguido posted:

You'd think they would be able to learn from their past to make an effective female authority heel people hate for the right reasons, but then again Triple H is staying off TV while the ratings are poo poo like Hulk Hogan used to do, and that never worked out, so I guess the fact that no one seems to remember anything that happened a year ago isn't a Kayfabe thing.

Umm, Excuse Me

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I think you have a problem when the loudest pop in the PPV match between Rusev and Roman is Lana pulling the ref out during a count.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Weird thought maybe- but I was thinking about how heels get over and modern fan reactions. The WWE main roster has had this problem for a while- their heels are either so over that fans don't really boo them, or they're just dead ends. Sometimes this gets laid on the booking, other times on the fans being too smart or not playing their part in the program.

I was thinking though- NXT has been pretty successful in keeping their heels as heels it seems, right? The fans there know Samoa Joe and they know he's a great wrestler- but they play him as a bad guy and the fans boo him. They let Kevin Owens get some funny quips in, but they also played him right against Sami Zayn and the fans reacted appropriately. Has there been a recent situation where NXT hasn't been able to get a heel over as a heel? What's their secret?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I am an Oney LArkin fan. I don't even know if that's how his name is spelled.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Smackdown has the opposite problem to Raw though, you have 3 strong faces and then on the heel side the dropoff after AJ is hilarious.

The Miz? Bound to the midcard until he drops the strap, and he should in no way drop it anytime soon.
Bray Wyatt? Dolph Ziggler (eventually)? Baron Corbin? No one cares.

I almost wish you could somehow take the rosters of both shows and like somehow combine them into one unified roster. You could then have wrestlers from both shows fight one another, which might create some fresh and interesting matchups. Also you wouldn't have two incredibly anemic tag and womens' divisions. I don't know if it'd ever be possible, just something to think about

If only they had a source of ready, talented wrestlers to pull from, to help fill their ranks.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Daniel Bryan starts off last night's Talking Smack with 'Shane and I have a very different philosophy than Steph and Mick, we don't need to be on screen all the time."

Is RAW being written really lovely a story itself??

edit- Cena is very good on this as well. Way better format for the modern 15 minute promo.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 28, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

WrasslorMonkey posted:

New day needs more time machine segments. I literally laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. I don't think rassling has ever done that to me before.

I never saw this so I went and youtubed it.

VERY disappointed that it wasn't the Dave Chappelle Haters in Time sketch.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Oof, naturally WWE cut the funny part out of the youtube video

Ah that explains it.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I think Talking Smack does 2 good things just by existing:

-It takes the some of the long promos off the main show, so the audience is getting more matches
-It takes a lot of risk and uncertainty of doing a 20 minute live promo (audience reactions, backstage chaos, planning for commercials) in front of a live audience away, putting it in a more controlled environment

Granted they still do too many overly long 20 minute promos, but if that can't be helped...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cubone posted:

I want WWE to buy TNA and put it on the network but still not acknowledge that it ever existed by way of haphazardly dubbing voices and pasting over logos.

This but they also continue to produce new episodes/PPVs.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

When you watch a match with the Miz, you're watching a championship caliber match.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

"Why don't he do more flips?" -IWC's very detailed thoughts on Miz.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I like when the Miz doesn't catch his opponents when they go for a dive.

People shouldn't be diving, it's a dangerous move. Miz is making a Kapernick-like statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Indie darling and recent WWE acquisition John Doesington Jr.: Ok I think for this meaningless RAW mid-shoe match I should jump head-first out of the ring and on to you, and you and I should collapse in a heap on the concrete.

Miz: No, that seems dumb, and a good way for us to be ground to dust in this monstrous capitalist system.

John: But it's the only way I know to get daddy to love me.

Miz: I will not support this .

• Locked thread