Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which was more embarrassing?
This poll is closed.
The Debate 32 14.81%
MNF 8 3.70%
Donald's Hair 12 5.56%
Six Pickspatrick 48 22.22%
The Texans 50 23.15%
Whatever's about to happen to the Bills. 37 17.13%
Print the Shirts 29 13.43%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Excited to see what excuse Panthers fans come up with for losing to the Falcons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NippleFloss posted:

I mean, the GM found money for a bunch of FA defensive signings to try and shore up the lovely defense to make another run, they just hired a Rob Ryan to use them so it was all wasted. I guess I just don't really understand how the cap situation has kept the Saints from competing. The offense is still good, the defense is garbage despite a bunch of money being dumped into it. What would they be doing if they had cap space if they had it that would help?

Well, they've had problems in the draft, so they'd still be a bit talent poor on defense, but basically they wouldn't have $18m in dead money in 2018 already due to restructuring Brees over and over again, and probably have a couple of mid-tier caliber defensive players where the replacement and sub-replacement players on defense are.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

sam bradford lmao posted:

You could argue that Peyton's descent into mediocrity was the result of his neck surgeries finally catching up to him

It's because his wife's HGH prescription ran out.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Badfinger posted:

Peyton Manning doesn't really fit, does he? He didn't have "several" seasons, he had 15 seasons as the best quarterback in the history of football and 1 old, mediocre season. He had a career ending injury in 2010 and not only did his career not end, he had 3 of the best quarterback seasons ever following it. People eventually get old.

But seriously you guys Eli's path to the HoF is the only reason Joe Namath is in. He was an AWFUL quarterback. He only had 2 seasons where he threw more TDs than INTs.

I need you to know how bad Joe Namath was.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NamaJo00.htm

He won the Super Bowl at age 25. The difference between him and Gale Sayers is that Sayers was actually good in the NFL at literally any point.

I'm just saying no one really talks about the fact that his entire career took place on destroyed knees that were made even worse by that eras medicine's poor understanding of how knees even work. The story of his knee surgeries are quite frankly horrifying

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I'm just saying no one really talks about the fact that his entire career took place on destroyed knees that were made even worse by that eras medicine's poor understanding of how knees even work. The story of his knee surgeries are quite frankly horrifying

Plus, he was plenty good in the AFL before the merger, and there's plenty of players that wouldn't be worthy now who got in because they played back in the day where you smoked during the game and worked construction during the offseason.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FrankieGoes posted:

Excited to see what excuse Panthers fans come up with for losing to the Falcons.

I have very little faith in the Panthers secondary, tackles, and offensive coaches right now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kalli posted:

Well, they've had problems in the draft, so they'd still be a bit talent poor on defense, but basically they wouldn't have $18m in dead money in 2018 already due to restructuring Brees over and over again, and probably have a couple of mid-tier caliber defensive players where the replacement and sub-replacement players on defense are.

If Brees is gone in 2018 then they've got bigger problems than that 18 million in dead money and that's a lost season anyway. If he's still there he will be restructured. It's basically a one year cap bomb that is going to come in what will likely be a big rebuilding year anyway. Having money this year to try and field a team while Brees is still good is worth more than money in 2018 when he may be old and broken and playing for the Texans and the Saints are starting a McCown or something.

The Saints aren't Denver, there was never going to be a soft landing to the post Brees years because it's a team built around him.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FrankieGoes posted:

It's an away divisional game, and Vernon Butler and Jonathan Stewart are hurt?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh wow, I was going to make a joke about the Falcons getting off to a hot start again this year, but the next 3 weeks they play the panthers, then @Broncos and @Seahawks.

Gonna guess those offensive stats won't be so pretty soon enough.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ozymandius1024 posted:

It's an away divisional game, and Vernon Butler and Jonathan Stewart are hurt?

Too self aware. I'm gonna go with:
1. Refs
2. REFS.
3. REFFFFFFFFS!

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FrankieGoes posted:

Too self aware. I'm gonna go with:
1. Refs
2. REFS.
3. REFFFFFFFFS!

Well yeah, there's always that.

Kalli posted:

With the amount of time Ryan will probably have to throw, Julio Jones is going to style all over Bradberry.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

sean10mm posted:

Beating the pre-Belichick Patriots is like beating the, I dunno, Titans or something. It doesn't count for anything in the OH poo poo HISTORIC WIN Y'ALL bin at all.

Eli should go in the Hall of Fame because his entire career is both awesome and funny as hell. It would be like if Jim Plunkett won both his Super Bowls against the Joe Montana era 49ers teams. OF COURSE that guy makes it no matter what the rest of his career was like, it's just too good.

Nail Rat posted:

I dunno the 96 Pats were pretty drat good, maybe not historic good but a really good defense and a really good offense.

Bill Belichick was assistant head coach on the Patriots for exactly one year before he became Patriots head coach in 2000

Guess which year that was

Also Drew Bledsoe doesn't get nearly enough credit

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Drew Bledsoe was a pretty good 2nd tier Quarterback and I love him forever. I just wish Bill Parcells hadn't intentionally thrown the Superbowl for his Jets masters.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Brannock posted:

Also Mo Lewis doesn't get nearly enough credit

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ross Angeles posted:

Favre was a first ballot guy, so

Eli's playing in a football era where the rules have been specifically massaged to allow enormous passing stats and he's still making loads of turnovers.

Favre threw a million picks but it was (almost) always in the midst of trying to make a gigantic play. It got to the point where my dad would just shrug and say "As good as a punt" whenever Favre would bomb it downfield in triple coverage on third and long.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
What's Tom Brady been up to during his susp-

oh

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Does the NFL Redzone just show the Colts Jaguars game in its entirety?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Eli is going to the HoF and Rivers won't despite putting up better numbers across the board than Eli and never having a #1 WR to throw to and I'm gonna be salty about it forever

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Ross Angeles posted:

Eli is going to the HoF and Rivers won't despite putting up better numbers across the board than Eli and never having a #1 WR to throw to and I'm gonna be salty about it forever

Eli has done something worthy of fame with good stats. Rivers claim to fame is awesome meltdowns during games.

If Rivers is HoF worthy, then so is Kerry Collins

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kalli posted:

Oh wow, I was going to make a joke about the Falcons getting off to a hot start again this year, but the next 3 weeks they play the panthers, then @Broncos and @Seahawks.

Before the season, I would have feared this three game stretch...seeing the way the Panthers and Seahawks have struggled, I'm not nearly as concerned. Granted, they will put up a fight much more than the Saints did, but it looks like this offense could be legit very good and can challenge just about any defenses that aren't top tier elite like the Broncos.

Carolina is still Carolina though, i would not doubt they win this game.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Ross Angeles posted:

But Hunter Henry tho

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ross Angeles posted:

Not a WR, technically, but Gates is probably better than anyone Eli has ever had to throw to (with the exception of maybe OBJ now), no?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shath Hole posted:

Before the season, I would have feared this three game stretch...seeing the way the Panthers and Seahawks have struggled, I'm not nearly as concerned. Granted, they will put up a fight much more than the Saints did, but it looks like this offense could be legit very good and can challenge just about any defenses that aren't top tier elite like the Broncos.

Carolina is still Carolina though, i would not doubt they win this game.

Oh my god you guys.

I just realized we're going to get to watch the Falcons pass rush vs the Seahawks offensive line for an entire game.

Dwight Freeney: O/U 3 sacks?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

Oh my god you guys.

I just realized we're going to get to watch the Falcons pass rush vs the Seahawks offensive line for an entire game.

Yes sir. It will be like watching a fight at the special olympics.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shath Hole posted:

Yes sir. It will be like watching a fight at the special olympics.

That play where Trufant blew up Brees last night, I was utterly shocked until I saw the jersey number.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

That play where Trufant blew up Brees last night, I was utterly shocked until I saw the jersey number.

I think I had a seizure, my brain couldn't process what was going on...corner...BLITZ...SAAAAAAAAAAACK?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ross Angeles posted:

How many years did Rivers and VJax have together?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Ross Angeles posted:

Your life has made you salty forever, though.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

The bigger question would be is if this is the game where afterwards Bradley Sowell finally gets shot into the sun

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Febreeze posted:

But Hunter Henry tho

He had a real good first game starting last week

wandler20 posted:

How many years did Rivers and VJax have together?

Technically six. But he didn't develop into a really good WR until 2009 or 2010, so really like 2.

Shath Hole posted:

Not a WR, technically, but Gates is probably better than anyone Eli has ever had to throw to (with the exception of maybe OBJ now), no?

I'll give you Gates, but Eli has had OBJ, Cruz, Plaxico, and now this Sterling Shephard kid. Rivers has Gates, two years of VJax, and a handful of games of Keenan Allen

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

sam bradford lmao posted:

The bigger question would be is if this is the game where afterwards Bradley Sowell finally gets shot into the sun

Who is Bradley Sowell?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Atticus Finch posted:

Your life has made you salty forever, though.

Nah

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Eli has had better WRs in his tenure but they haven't lasted long and he's never had a security blanket on the level of Antonio gates so it's kind of a wash

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

My point is that Rivers is going to get lost in the footnotes of nfl history just like Fouts, Coryell, LdT, and Gates and I'm mad about it. The only reason people will remember Seau is because he killed himself

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Kalli posted:

Oh my god you guys.

In which quarter? :smithicide:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Week 3 DYAR which spends a whole lot of time on Fitzpatrick's 6 pick game:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2016/week-3-quick-reads

and links to a Vice article with gifs of all six: https://sports.vice.com/en_us/highlight/six-picks-none-the-richer-ryan-fitzpatricks-sunday-in-gifs

The Carson Palmer entry has a pretty interesting bit:

quote:

One of the streakiest games you'll ever see. The bad: on Arizona's first six drives, Palmer started 3-of-13 for 17 yards with no first downs and two sacks. The good: that sixth drive was extended because of a Buffalo penalty on a third-down sack, and from that point to the end of the Cardinals' tenth drive, he went 16-of-20 for 159 yards and 12 first downs, plus a 5-yard DPI for another first down, with one sack. The ugly: from there till the end, Palmer went 7-of-17 for 111 yards and five first downs, but also four interceptions, two sacks, and one fumble.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

There is something wrong with King Dunlap and everyone is being real hush hush about it. They just refer to it as an illness, and he's not in the concussion protocol

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Ross Angeles posted:

My point is that Rivers is going to get lost in the footnotes of nfl history just like Fouts, Coryell, LdT, and Gates and I'm mad about it. The only reason people will remember Seau is because he killed himself

I felt the same way about Derrick Thomas, Tony Gonzalez, Jamaal Charles. But I have changed and what you have to realize is these men are in the memories of Chargers fans, as well as their own families and friends. They all have titanic legacies

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ross Angeles posted:

The only reason people will remember Seau is because he killed himself

Plenty of people will remember Berman's cringeworthy "Junior SAY-OW!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ross Angeles posted:

“There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power or our will. ”
― Epictetus

• Locked thread