Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which was more embarrassing?
This poll is closed.
The Debate 32 14.81%
MNF 8 3.70%
Donald's Hair 12 5.56%
Six Pickspatrick 48 22.22%
The Texans 50 23.15%
Whatever's about to happen to the Bills. 37 17.13%
Print the Shirts 29 13.43%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If the ownership situation is that bad the Saints should probably keep Payton and Brees, hope it's resolved in 2 years and ride out the storm while at least watching a good offense. Shoot your GM if he tries to sign anyone to a contract for over a couple of million and let the salary purge happen naturally so that when Brees is about dead you can start anew with an un-hosed cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

If they don't keep at least making efforts to help Brees break Peyton's various records than he'll take his jimmy johns and go home.

Considering how their FA signings have gone, that's no issue.

I just think they need to purge their dead money, actually draft people, and focus on signing cheap stopgaps on defense so they can maybe move up to being the 25th ranked defense and maybe a few cheap vet offensive pieces so Brees can break some records.

I think the GM needs to be strangled more then anyone else, because man he hosed that team.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wentz is good until he isn't.

The optimist is thrilled with what he's doing, the pessimist just prints out a picture of RG3 and taps it over and over again anytime you say something nice about Wentz.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

indigi posted:

At least part of RG3's regression was due to injury. Then there was his ego that didn't want to run the same type of option offense anymore, and then also playing for Kyle Shanahan. The injury thing is always a potential issue for everyone, but nothing we've heard about Wentz suggests he has an ego problem (or a really poo poo OC problem)

Yeah, I'm mostly going by Wentz's injury in the preseason and reputation for running into vicious hits.

He's looked real good so far, but when I hear things like Kevin Clark basically cantonizing him now I just squint at him disapprovingly.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

My boss is a Steelers fan. How much shittalking is too much

Comparing what Wentz did to their defense to say, what Jerry Sandusky did to all those little boys is probably a bridge too far.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NippleFloss posted:

I mean, the GM found money for a bunch of FA defensive signings to try and shore up the lovely defense to make another run, they just hired a Rob Ryan to use them so it was all wasted. I guess I just don't really understand how the cap situation has kept the Saints from competing. The offense is still good, the defense is garbage despite a bunch of money being dumped into it. What would they be doing if they had cap space if they had it that would help?

Well, they've had problems in the draft, so they'd still be a bit talent poor on defense, but basically they wouldn't have $18m in dead money in 2018 already due to restructuring Brees over and over again, and probably have a couple of mid-tier caliber defensive players where the replacement and sub-replacement players on defense are.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I'm just saying no one really talks about the fact that his entire career took place on destroyed knees that were made even worse by that eras medicine's poor understanding of how knees even work. The story of his knee surgeries are quite frankly horrifying

Plus, he was plenty good in the AFL before the merger, and there's plenty of players that wouldn't be worthy now who got in because they played back in the day where you smoked during the game and worked construction during the offseason.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh wow, I was going to make a joke about the Falcons getting off to a hot start again this year, but the next 3 weeks they play the panthers, then @Broncos and @Seahawks.

Gonna guess those offensive stats won't be so pretty soon enough.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Drew Bledsoe was a pretty good 2nd tier Quarterback and I love him forever. I just wish Bill Parcells hadn't intentionally thrown the Superbowl for his Jets masters.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shath Hole posted:

Before the season, I would have feared this three game stretch...seeing the way the Panthers and Seahawks have struggled, I'm not nearly as concerned. Granted, they will put up a fight much more than the Saints did, but it looks like this offense could be legit very good and can challenge just about any defenses that aren't top tier elite like the Broncos.

Carolina is still Carolina though, i would not doubt they win this game.

Oh my god you guys.

I just realized we're going to get to watch the Falcons pass rush vs the Seahawks offensive line for an entire game.

Dwight Freeney: O/U 3 sacks?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shath Hole posted:

Yes sir. It will be like watching a fight at the special olympics.

That play where Trufant blew up Brees last night, I was utterly shocked until I saw the jersey number.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Week 3 DYAR which spends a whole lot of time on Fitzpatrick's 6 pick game:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2016/week-3-quick-reads

and links to a Vice article with gifs of all six: https://sports.vice.com/en_us/highlight/six-picks-none-the-richer-ryan-fitzpatricks-sunday-in-gifs

The Carson Palmer entry has a pretty interesting bit:

quote:

One of the streakiest games you'll ever see. The bad: on Arizona's first six drives, Palmer started 3-of-13 for 17 yards with no first downs and two sacks. The good: that sixth drive was extended because of a Buffalo penalty on a third-down sack, and from that point to the end of the Cardinals' tenth drive, he went 16-of-20 for 159 yards and 12 first downs, plus a 5-yard DPI for another first down, with one sack. The ugly: from there till the end, Palmer went 7-of-17 for 111 yards and five first downs, but also four interceptions, two sacks, and one fumble.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sean10mm posted:

Surprised Dak rated that highly, he looked good but I wasn't thinking THIS IS EPIC HOLY poo poo.

It wasn't and will fall a lot once defensive adjustments go in because the Bears defense was completely passive and giving up everything short at all times.

The average drive in the first half was basically Elliot runs for 5-9 yards, then they either run again or throw whatever pass they want to convert it and rinse and repeat until you're in the redzone.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spiros posted:

W--bu--wha---no :(

I'm sorry for your loss.

And the thirteen to come.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

oof, that's rough.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

JJ Watt placed on IR.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Players of the week:

AFC:
O: QB Trevor Siemian - 4 TD's against the Bengals
D: CB Marcus Peters - Two ints in Ryan Fitzpatrick's very very bad day.
ST: P Ryan Allen - 4 Punts inside the Houston 10, 0 return yards

NFC:
O: QB Carson Wentz - Took a big steaming poo poo on the Steelers
D: DE Everson Griffen - Ate Cam Newton's soul. Hit him a bunch, sacked him twice
ST: K Dustin Hopkins - gently caress if I know

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

Rex Ryan owns

He really does.

I think he's proven he's not a very good head coach, but I kind of want him as a head coach with two great coordinators who do all the work and he's just there to give interviews and be fun.

Like, can we make Jim Schwartz the real head coach while Rex gets to be the front man?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

Does anyone know where I can find weekly offense team stats?

Like this

but weekly.

I don't think they do weekly team stats, but you can for weekly player stats :

http://www.nfl.com/stats/weeklyleaders?week=3&season=2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Players of the Month for September:

AFC:
O: LeGarrette Blount - 75 carries, 295 yards, 4 TD's, and one cornerback hurdled this season.
D: Von Miller - 5 sacks, 3 against Andrew Luck
ST: Justin Tucker - 9 for 9 on FG's

NFC:
O: Matt Ryan - 7 TD's to 1 int, 71% completion percentage while torching the Saints and Raiders secondaries *cough*
D: Fletcher Cox - 3 sacks, 2 against Roethlisberger
ST: Dustin Hopkins - 11 for 11 on FG's.

Rookie
O: Carson Wentz - HoF
D: Deion Jones - LB for the Falcons

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

Based on the criteria for the AFC Defensive Player of the Month, Everson Griffen was screwed :colbert:

Oh the NFL doesn't release any criteria or notice.

You'd think if you were doing this, you'd have a highlight package ready to go and have some talking heads go Wow, this guy! for a minute, but instead this is the entirety of what they release:

and leave it to PFT or local beatwriters to add in "oh yeah, Von Miller really pushed this guy's poo poo in this month"

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 29, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

But you're right though - like, why does the NFL.com story not have a highlight package? Their fan engagement leaves a lot to be desired (i want to die every time i read their twitter captions).

Seriously, how hard would it be to roll up on the NBA and poach away some of their fan engagement people?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Seems kind of obvious that cable is hemorrhaging subscribers and once you decide to cut cable, there's just a natural number of people who never bother to put up an antenna and then just wander away or are happy with reddit streams.

Not sure if they're counted in viewership or even what they cost, but the cheapest online options are ESPN at $20 a month on Sling or NFLN + ESPN for like $30 on Playstation Vue, so if you're cutting cable and just want football, those aren't great prices either.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ice cold horchata posted:

maybe there are more young people than old people and maybe young people like "fun" so maybe you should stop being the no fun league

I can't imagine that resulting in anything but baseball's culture and no one under like 50 likes the MLB anymore.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In other news, Drew Bledsoe has a winemaker buddy of his named Josh McDaniels.

It's like one of those Kennedy - Lincoln secretary coincidences.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Speaking of, how's Manziel's sobriety going? :v:

Like the tide

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

I've been talking a lot of poo poo about Patriots fans this week and sometimes I feel a bit bad, because most of the regular Patriots posters here are the best. But like, what am I supposed to do when I see this on my Twitter feed?

At the end of the video, Brady invites people to visit Omaze.com/Boston to enter, then adds: “I can’t wait to meet you and tell you which one of these guys I actually like better.”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Word of Muth is on the Buccaneers this week: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2016/word-muth-tampa-twosome

quote:

One of the big reasons I wanted to cover Tampa Bay this year was to get a good look at their two second-year starters. One thing I've discovered writing this column for the past several years is that second-year guys are generally way more interesting to watch than rookies. Pretty much all rookie offensive linemen are below-average starters. Even the "good" ones who make Pro Bowls are overrated just because every writer and announcer knows who they are (usually they're first-round picks), and they actually are just good at some stuff (usually the stuff that requires a lot of athleticism) and bad at most everything else (knowing how much help to give, passing off stunts).

I was covering the Steelers and Cowboys during the rookie seasons of Maurkice Pouncey and Travis Frederick and both were just OK, and probably a tick below that. But people talked about them like they were top-five centers on Day 1. Both guys showed awesome flashes and both have grown into good players (Frederick in particular), but those first years were not the out-of-the-box sensations that everyone remembers.

No, it's typically the second year when you start to get a better feel for what a guy is going to be. The Bucs offer a nice team to study because not only do they have two second-year guys, they have a second-year guy who everyone thought sucked as a rookie (left tackle Donovan Smith), and another who most people thought played pretty well (right guard Ali Marpet). Today's column is going to focus on those two, starting with Smith.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently he's been ruled out for Sunday.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

QB1: 67/107, 62.6%, 723 yards, 4 TD, 4 INT, 6.8 Y/A
QB2: 65/109, 59.6%, 695 yards, 3 TD, 4 INT, 6.4 Y/A

I know who one of them is just because of why you'd post it. But is the other either Eli Manning or Carson Palmer?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

QB3: 63/108, 58.3%, 809 yards, 5TD, 5 INT, 7.5 Y/A
QB4: 76/118, 64.4%, 774 yards, 3TD, 4 INT, 6.6 Y/A

A bunch of uglyish TD/INT rates after 3 games.

A bunch of nerd chat thinks that the piss poor state of a lot of offensive lines is resulting in this.

And also Ryan Fitzpatrick,.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh, you know, usually NFL contract TRADE ideas have no prayer of working due to cap space and accelerated dead money and the age of the players involved.

Joe Thomas is in year 5 of a 7 year deal, has zero future dead money, and is only being paid $10m for each of the next two years.

Joe Thomas is on his age 31 year... there's a pretty drat good argument trading for him is worth a first round pick.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blaine Gabbert isn't the worst at something: http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Check-on-checkdowns-Where-49ers-Gabbert-ranks-9516815.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

% of passes on 3rd down that result in a 1st down:

Chopping off the parts no one cares about, the best QB's are at the top of course, Philip Rivers, Jimmy G, Stafford, Osweiler.... but as we head to the bottom we get:

T21. Alex Smith, Chiefs: 60.0 (9-15)
T21. Carson Wentz, Eagles: 60.0 (9-15)
23. Case Keenum, Rams: 57.2 (8-14)
24. Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins: 55.0 (11-20)
25. Tyrod Taylor, Bills: 53.8 (7-13)
26. Drew Brees, Saints: 52.9 (9-17)
27. Blaine Gabbert, 49ers: 47.1 (8-17)
28. Andy Dalton, Bengals: 45.8 (11-24)
29. Blake Bortles, Jaguars: 44.4 (8-18)
30. Sam Bradford, Vikings: 42.9 (6-14)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

(nods quietly to self)

Can't kick a FG unless you wildly sail a pass on every 3rd down in the red zone.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Joe Thomas is a great dude and his dedication to the Browns is certaintly... incredible.

That said, one has to presume that with the failed RG3 experiment, the nothings they have behind him and the utter despair that is the rest of their roster, that they will be drafting a quarterback next year. So in that sense, it makes sense to keep JT around, because, if he's happy with losing, having your rookie QB be able to stand in a nice pocket makes development a hell of a lot easier, just ask the Cowboys or Broncos this year.

All I'm saying is that if they wanted to trade him, a first round pick actually sounds like something they could get.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 30, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I mostly agree if they are going to go hard after a real franchise QB. But the thing is what is more valuable to a team attempting to rebuild:

Two years of good left tackle play under a veteran contract?

-OR-

A first round pick with a rookie contract?

I agree they should stockpile picks, but at the same time, if Joe Thomas is really the mythological story we've been told who is happy in Cleveland and just wants to build a winner, then trading him could actually be significantly damaging to the locker room culture there, and that's gotta be a fragile loving place as is.

Maybe he can be what Bruce Armstrong was to a young Drew Bledsoe for a few years.

E: Holy crap, nevermind that Bruce Armstrong comparison, Bruce played until 2000?

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 30, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tom Brady, Cam Newton among those heavily tied to human fighting ring.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

You mean football?

Well that too I guess.

Cam, Tom, Bob Kraft all bought a minority stake in the UFC along with Sylvester Stallone, Ben Affleck, Mark Wahlberg, Conan O’Brien, Jimmy Kimmel, Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams and Venus Williams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This guy can play, so someone should pick him up. He was just the odd man out with the Patriots having AJ Derby look pretty good as a ST guy as well as in the preseason.

• Locked thread